Zombie Alligators

What is transforming alligators in Florida into mindless zombies? Join the an intriguing and spooky investigation into why these American alligators, measuring up to 14 feet long and weighing 1,000 lbs, are floating belly up and unable to right themselves.

Zombie Alligators airs on Nat Geo Wild Friday October 8 at 9P et/pt.

Video Preview: Hundreds of alligators are found belly-up in Lake Griffin, home to one of Florida’s most prolific gator populations.

Comments

1. Izzy316
    July 14, 2010, 11:03 pm

that is extremely weird…

2. everytribe
    July 15, 2010, 2:59 am

maybe there is something poisoning them in the water or somewhere in their enviroment, it seems like they are suffering from some type of neurological disorder and disorientation….very odd, and very sad, i hope they figure it out soon

3. Dark Angel
    October 9, 2010, 6:00 pm

With the oil spill in the gulf, who know what kind of dispersant’s was used to contain and remove the oil in the water contaminating the ecology. I am afraid that this is only the tip of the iceberg.

4. nera364
    October 9, 2010, 9:13 pm

I wonder if Brady Barr is in their crew
    He is one of the best(in my opinion) living herpetologist in the world
    …I really hope that they will figure out the problems cuzz I hate to see crocs and gators like that…it’s just sad

5. Niki
    October 9, 2010, 9:26 pm

I never thought I’d see the day when I would be concerned about a top predator such as the alligator. These predators are having a tough time with the hunting for sport & food (Who would to eat alligator?), the pythons, and people moving into their area either pushing them out of the homes, or calling a animal trapper in which they are sold for meat and their skin. Now, a possible disease. I think we should suspend hunting alligators until this disease and the pythons are under control. These big alligators are our first defense in many cases against the out of control pythons invading Florida.

6. bashiruddin hosein
    October 11, 2010, 12:13 am

this is very interesting but very sad to understand that these creatures are subjected to somethiung that is still under investigatiion that may pose a tremendous threat on their very existence,,,

i am not an expert but just as a suggestion, do you think that the time has come where these "once resilient creatures’ have reached the point where they are feeling the effects of polution that have been on an exponential rise in recent times,, where they are no longer able to adapt and are now susceptible to the toxicity of it??…think about it,, everything has a maximum limit that it can take>>>

7. dutchieu
    February 1, 2011, 6:25 pm

Last I had heard, "Cane Toads" were having some effect in the glades. Is this true? An alligator will eat anything that moves and considering the size of these toads would be death to anything. Alligators don’t throw up…do they? I also thought the poison of the cane toad was "neuro toxin". Just a thought but I was surprised that we did not hear more about the cane toads. Even if I am wrong, there are irresponsible people throwing any and all unwanted pets into the Glades…like the Anaconda.

8. ksperry
    February 1, 2011, 7:42 pm

This is a little concerning to hear about. I’m actually from Leesburg and it’s well known that Lake Griffin is one of the most polluted lakes in Lake County. I hope they’ll show this in Korea because I’m very interested in hearing more.

9. Jeff
    United States of America
    December 8, 2012, 1:18 pm

The show systemically eliminates humans as the cause of the alligators deaths. They find a vitamin deficiency due to the alligators food source and then they blame humans for this. Even with proof we did not do it, humans get the blame.