A Statement Regarding The “Dog Whisperer” Cesar Millan

Photograph by Adina Pliskin
Photograph by Adina Pliskin

Cesar Millan has dedicated his life to helping dogs and to showing how even the most difficult “problem dog” can be rescued and rehabilitated.

In a recent episode of the Nat Geo WILD series Cesar 911, Cesar works with an aggressive French bulldog/terrier mix named Simon, who has a history of attacking other animals, including his owner’s pet pot-bellied pigs. A short clip from the episode was shared online and showed Simon chasing a pig and nipping its ear, causing the ear to bleed. The clip caused some concern for viewers who did not see or understand the full context of the encounter.

We have included an additional clip (see clip above) from the same episode to provide missing context. Cesar has created a safe and controlled environment at his Dog Psychology Center (DPC) in California in which to rehabilitate some of the most extreme—or “red zone”—cases of dog aggression, such as Simon’s. It is important to clarify that Cesar took precautions, such as putting Simon on a long lead to assess his behavior, before making initial corrections and removing the leash. The pig that was nipped by Simon was tended to immediately afterward, healed quickly and showed no lasting signs of distress. As the additional clip reveals, Cesar and his animal pack effectively helped Simon to overcome his aggressive behavior toward other animals; as a result, Simon did not have to be separated from his owner or euthanized.

Comments

1. Lelia Irvine
    March 11, 5:47 pm

I’ve never been a fan of Mr. Millan’s aggressive handling of dogs and their issues, however after the latest issue involving Mr. Millan and the mutilation of a pig, I’ll remove The Nat Geo channel from my favorite’s list. If you want to have a show about dogs and their issues, find a talented, compassionate trainer who will teach the public to work with dogs in a positive and kind training program. There are lots of those trainers out there. All you have to do is look! Until such time as Mr. Millan’s shows are no longer airing on Nat Geo, I won’t be watching.

2. Carrie F McCann
    Aberdeen, NC
    March 11, 6:46 pm

I watched this episode and the the dog did not rip the ear off of that pig! It nipped it’s ear and was removed and they were buddies by the end. The dog DID rip the ear off a pig she was FOSTERING AT HER HOME! Which is why she was on the show! I have personally used some of his techniques as have my children and they have been great! He is also a wonderful advocate for pit bulls of which I have one and love. PLEASE DON’T CANCEL HIS SHOW!

3. Joanna Brooks
    Alabama
    March 12, 8:05 am

Keep Cesar on air.

4. Lynn Lautenschlager
    Salem
    March 12, 11:10 am

Please continue to support the show Cesar 911 and other shows featuring Cesar Millan. He tries very hard in his training to protect animals and people from aggressive dogs, generally using a muzzle if he suspects a likely problem. What he does is a service to humans and to animals and prevents through his training and rehab many dogs from being aggressive toward humans and other animals, and thereby prevents the dogs from being euthanized. He deserves support, not condemnation.

5. Pat
    Arizona
    March 14, 11:05 am

Cesar Millan uses common sense and practical training methods.people that want to complain would have no idea how to fix the problems that Caesar does. I hope the TV station will not listen to the few who are either out to promote their own methods or just have no idea how to rehabilitate a difficult dog. Cesar Millan needs to stay on TV.

6. Sona Pyle, CEO of Puppy Luv Farms, LLC
    Powell, TN
    March 14, 8:56 pm

I have trained dogs for 10yrs using Cesars techniques and had great success. The viewers who complain, and this includes dog trainers, cannot fix these issues he deals with. Their way is only through avoidance, however, the Prey Drive worsens if not addressed till eventually the dog has to avoid: pigs, children running, other dogs, small animals, etc till finally the quality of life lessens so much, the animal cannot leave its own yard or socialiaze. What kind of quality of life is that? I stand with Cesar Milan and applaud him for his life’s dedication and love for the animals the people complaining, cannot fix and are typically the ones that created the problem, out of their own ingnorance of refusing to give rules, boundaries, and limitations. You CANNOT LOVE A DOG into obedience. Thank you Cesar for all you have taught me over the years. I myself have helped over a 1000 dogs and counting to date BECAUSE OF YOU! Ignore the ignorant haters! Keep working to bring pack unity.

7. Debbie
    Kansas City, MO
    March 17, 9:35 pm

Cesar Millan is really a down to earth a what you see is what you get kind of guy, he knows how to help animals and humans. My grandparents lived on a farm and what happened with the pig is common on a farm and no big deal. I am also proud to say I have spent some time at the DPC , So peaceful and calm there and kind of like I wish heaven would be where all humans and animals were living together in peace and harmony. We all should consider us blessed to have met and learnd from Cesar Millan.

8. tina dobson gaffney
    spartanburg, sc
    March 20, 10:03 am

What is the BIG deal? Threatening to cancel Ceasar 911 because of this one incidence is the ultimate craziest ideas I’ve ever known, seriously this idea has to have come from a jealous maniac. And for the person commenting they will stop watching Nat Geo if this show isn’t cancelled, well I say, tell um bye bye, don’t let the TV door hit your sorry arse on your way out. Cesar is a genius of sorts on the whole package of our best friend. Clearly the people he has helped is phenomenal compared to anyone else. There are people who have had their eyes opened with knowledge that no amount of money could pay for that Nat Geo and Cesar himself will never ever know about because they are regular everyday people who don’t get involved with social media. IF Nat Geo listens to a few lunatics, it will be one of the biggest mistakes they have ever been tricked into.

9. tina dobson gaffney
    March 20, 10:13 am

Hear here, the first commenator Lelia Irvin, gives an excellent portrayal of what I said in my initial comment. She 100% identifies herself as being this “jealous maniac” by her very first sentence, which says QUOTE, I’VE NEVER BEEN A FAN OF MR. MILLAN (etc, etc). Come ON Nat Geo surely you can sense this as we all surely have.

10. Patricia Matook
    March 24, 9:16 pm

all of this slander against Cesar is terrible!!! they call themselves “animal lovers”…well they apparently are the opposite. an animal lover wouldn’t condemn a man that has saved thousands upon thousands of dogs lives and showing the owner how it is THEIR energy and habits that are making the dogs the way they are!! I’m ashamed to be a part of the animal advocate ppl that are doing this!!! instead of wasting their time on a dog that nipped a pigs ear…worry about REAL animal abuse cases!!! Like Cesar always says…if you do NOT face the problem you cannot correct it…such as the pig and the dog..the dog killed family pet pigs…Cesar UNLIKE any other trainer I have EVER met…faces these challenges head on!!! If I put my dogs down (euthanization) that were aggressive every time these “so-called” animal “behaviorist” or “trainer” told me that’s the only thing I could do…I would never of been able to have kept alot of my dogs until its natural end!! thank God I didn’t listen to them!!! Cesar NEVER EVER tells you to do that…he always finds a way of saving these dogs…and training the owners!!! Go away haters..if you do not like Cesar…welcome to america…change the channel, Do not bring your dogs to him…do not train your dogs with his methods!! but under NO circumstance try to ruin it for us that love Cesar and for us that Cesar has helped!! Quit slandering a man that has done more for Dogs than ANYONE!!! He is MY HERO!! and I will not stand by while jealous trainers,..ppl that nit pick and watch EVERY move Cesar makes under a microscope… slander this wonderful, successful, caring, and talented man!!! there are so many animal/dog abuse happening in our world..and they pick on a pig killing dog…nipping a pigs ear..during a TRAINING SESSION? are you fricken kidding me!!! get a life ppl!! LEAVE CESAR ALONE!!! that dog did not have to be euthanized…shoved back in a shelter..and the pig did NOT die!!!! HAIL CESAR!!!

11. BLW
    August 24, 10:56 pm

Avenue NE

12. Catherine E. Sam
    August 27, 1:53 pm

I am a fan of Mr. Cesar Milan. I watch the show e rytime it is on. I have used his techniques on bot my Jack Russells and am using them on my new lab retreivor. I think he is great, loves all animals, and is a great animal advocate. PLEASE KEEP HIM ON THE AIR!!!