What Does It Take to Film Life Below Zero? Go Behind the Scenes in This New Web Series

Living Life Below Zero is tough enough, but filming below zero is another beast entirely. Keeping up with Glenn, Sue, Andy, Kate, Chip, Agnes, and Erik is hard–throw in plummeting temps, a few cracks in the ice, and close run-ins with bears and you’ll begin to see just how challenging filming in these conditions really is. In the new web series, Life Below Zero: Behind the Scenes, we’ll introduce you to the filmmakers who are out in the (frozen) field.

The exclusive, weekly web series focuses on the incredibly demanding task of filming in such remote locations. Get to know the faces behind the camera, hear the previously untold stories from the crew, and discover a new side of Life Below Zero.

On the first episode, the Life Below Zero camera crew contends with steep terrain, marauding bears, and a sketchy fish wheel in order to capture the story of these Alaskans living on the frontier:

Check back each week for new episodes and don’t miss Life Below Zero Thursdays at 9/8c

Comments

1. Vivian McNamara
    Southern California
    April 10, 2015, 9:18 pm

You guys are AWESOME!!!! Thank you for bringing this show to my living room! Huge hugs to all of you!

2. Michelle
    Tennessee
    April 10, 2015, 9:20 pm

I loved watching that. I have often wondered where you stay when you are there filming. I assumed you maybe flew in/out daily. Many thanks for filming this show. I don’t miss an episode at all. Looking forward to seeing more behind the scenes footage.

3. Yvonne Aguero
    Miami, Fl
    April 10, 2015, 9:27 pm

I can’t begin to tell you how much I love this program! One of the things I most enjoy is the camera work, the scenery the camera angels are all superb! I follow this program closely on FB, Twitter, Natgeo site and now behind the scene footage!! Yay awesome.

4. Juanita Plock
    Bloomington, IL
    April 10, 2015, 9:41 pm

You sure have a tough job!! Basically doing a lot of what the characters are doing.

5. Viree Cabral
    Redding, CA
    April 11, 2015, 12:28 am

I am really interested in hearing and seeing the people behind the cameras. Can they help the people when they get in trouble? Or in danger?

6. Bob Williams
    Chicago suburb
    April 11, 2015, 2:40 am

I was wondering does it help to keep your cameras cold? I have trouble with mine in and out of the weather. I’m a half mile from the forest and even in and out of the car causes problems. Love love your show. It makes me wish I had my youth to do over.

7. Carol
    Bridgman, MI
    April 11, 2015, 5:44 am

I have always wondered about the people who film this wonderful show. I can’t wait to see more.

8. Carol
    New York Area
    April 11, 2015, 1:05 pm

LOVE the show. Sometimes you get so into the action you forget that SOMEONE is FILMING this and what they have to go through is really amazing. These people are amazing!!

9. Caren
    The Woodlands, TX
    April 11, 2015, 5:45 pm

You guys are great! I have been watching the show since its inception. Often wondered about the crew and how they do it so well. Love you guys!

10. Allison
    Siler City, NC
    April 12, 2015, 6:18 am

As an amateur photographer, this is especially interesting to me. Please keep bringing us ‘Behind the Scenes’. I love this program. Where’s the woman photog? (volunteers) 🙂

11. John
    Tucson, AZ
    April 14, 2015, 2:57 pm

Great footage! At times, I could hardly “bear” to watch! Think I’ll stick with fish tacos and the heat for now.

12. Larry
    Auburn, NH
    April 17, 2015, 10:50 pm

Mesmerized by this show. I looked up previous shows “On Demand”. Often wonder what the camera folks do during down time and how you maneuver your equipment. Will be looking for you every week.

13. mimi lynne
    bellingham, massachusetts
    April 18, 2015, 5:46 pm

I’d like to thank you for showing us what it takes to give us such a wonderful show. I love it & look forward to it every week. I love behind the scenes just as much as the show itself!

14. mimi lynne
    bellingham, massachusetts
    April 18, 2015, 5:50 pm

Thank you for showing us what it takes to give us such a wonderful show. You guys work very hard. I love behind the scenes just as much as the show. I look forward to life below zero every week.

15. Gisela Vito
    Oscoda, MI 48750
    April 19, 2015, 5:02 pm

You guys are great. I love watching this show and wish it was on year round. Always wondered about the crew behind the cameras. You do a terrific shop, please keep it up. Can’t wail till next week to see how you have faired in the extreme climate.

16. Paul Cartwright Jr.
    Belleville Mi.
    April 24, 2015, 10:33 pm

I would rather miss a meal,than miss this show.

17. Jeannie Kohl
    Leesville La. usa
    May 21, 2015, 8:55 pm

Man love Life Below Zero. I have always wanted to go to Alaska.
    Just never had anyone to go with me Would love to see more of the personal life of the characters.Great job on some of the behind the scenes. If I was just a little younger I would be there. Back 20 years ago you didn’t here much about Alaska,but thanks to the camera crew they capture the beauty of it.

18. mitch koen
    potsdam ny
    June 16, 4:44 pm

I always thought it would be harder to film it than do it for one thing they live it year round great gob

19. Carol P.
    Pgh, PA
    June 26, 11:57 am

LOVE, LOVE this show! My 92 year old mom loves it, the whole family loves it. It’s amazing how they love living this hard life and do nothing but work and hunt day in and day out. I especially love Glenn and Sue. They are unbelievably isolated!!

At least Sue gets visitors and she has/had a little dog and gets supplies by plane. Glenn is completely on his own and how he can be so isolated without even a dog, I can’t fathom living like that. Andy and his dogs are just amazing. The Hailstones have a lovely family, and they are happy and love their lifestyle that was taught to Agnes generations ago. Good for her, she’s one tough lady! Her daughters and sons, they are just as tough as mom and dad!

Happily I can’t live like that, couldn’t stand the cold, no fresh fruit and vegies on a regular basis. Nope, it’s nothing that I’ve dreamt about!

I have to give credit to the behind the scenes camera people. You are amazing too. I don’t know how you do it, but your expertise certainly comes through!

20. Trish Snow
    July 14, 5:45 pm

Really interested in where the crew stays during filming! My husband and I really enjoy the show. Keep up the good work!