Shark Tagging and Celebrations on Aloha Vet

Dr. Scott Sims, Veterinarian on Kauai, is well versed in working with all types of animals and no matter the circumstances, will help any animal in need. He works tirelessly, on call 24/7, should an emergency arise, which it does more often than not. From emergency surgeries to late night visits, it seems as if Doc never gets a day off. Well lucky for him, every day feels like a vacation when he’s doing what he loves in one of the most amazing places on the planet.

What are some highlights from Scott’s schedule? A visit from a puppy with a broken leg, a horse with a possible colic condition, and not to mention his assistant with an irrational fear that all needs fixing.

SwimmingWithSharks_07_AlohaVetHowever, this week Scott’s in for a special treat as his latest inter-island escapade take him to the Hawai’i Institute of Marine Biology Shark Lab.

His friend Dr. Kim Holland has invited him to help tag some tiger sharks for research and Scott is looking forward to seeing these jaw-dropping creatures up close and personal. He’ll also get to help out at a local shark research facility where they’ll be prepping and activating new shark tracking devices in hammerheads and have an unusual way of doing it! Learn how in the clip below.

Back on Kauai, Dr. Scott’s assistant Ella has adopted a piglet that appears to be a hermaphrodite. After Scott’s confirmation, Ella must over come her jitters and perform her first surgery – removing the male organs from Basil. Scott monitors as Ella does the surgery, and finds unexpected complications, that show her there’s more than meets the eye for this little piglet. This surgery is sure to challenge her veterinary knowledge.

Later, Scott faces challenges of his own with late night emergency surgeries and emotional life-and-death circumstances.

Be sure to catch the newest episode of Aloha Vet: Swimming with Sharks, Saturday at 9/8c on Nat Geo WILD.

Comments

1. lin | Timeshare attorney
    united states
    April 3, 2015, 2:46 pm

whoa , incredible

2. dvormemann
    April 4, 2015, 10:52 pm

The injuries and ultimate death suffered by the puppy Buddy appears – at least from watching the program – that this was almost certainly neglect by the owner, if not an outright abusive situation. However, this wasn’t addressed by either Dr. Sims or by any editorial content of the show. That the puppy was killed by yet a second dog attack in the owner’s care was simply dismissed by Dr. Sims with a “these things happen” comment to the camera. This was a very sad and brutal way for this puppy to have lived and died, and, yet no red flags were raised as to how and why this kept happening to the puppy, neither by Sims nor the show’s producers. Someone should have said or done something either to help the puppy or explain why nothing could be done or needed to be done. I am very disturbed by watching this episode, not only from witnessing Buddy suffer at the apparent neglect of the owner to keep him safe, but by the apparent failure of the humans who might have done something, including Sims and the producers, to take action against such neglect that goes beyond suturing Buddy’s wounds while he was still alive.

3. Suzan Rury
    April 6, 2015, 12:20 am

We watch Natioral Geographic Channel all the time in our home + generally enjoy most programming as our favorite. But the latest airing of Aloha Vet “Swimming with Sharks” was so disturbing as it entailed an obvious case of neglect of a dog owner and the irresponsible response of a professional in the community towards the situation as he shrugged it off as, “ah well accidents will happen.”
    For the first time we’ll be screening ‘NatGeo’ programing to exclude Aloha Vet from our viewing from now on. THANK YOU.

4. Mina
    Fairfax, VA
    April 7, 2015, 9:02 pm

dvormemann, you hit the nail on the head. I am watching this show for the first time and I am extremely disturbed by the casual attitude displayed by everyone involved. That poor little one was clearly neglected. A baby, who was not kept safe from larger dogs that wanted to kill him and did! This should be investigated. Why was that baby being taken to the vet with all kinds of injuries?? NEGLECT or worse! I hate the human race! Why God made us?!

5. rzmn
    April 8, 2015, 10:34 am

I thought the same thing. I cried so hard when the little pup died, it broke my heart. This owner was told to keep the pup safe, he didn’t. This pup was obviously abused or maybe used as a target for a dog fighting ring. Just my opinion. Something should have been done after the pup got attacked & sadly died.

6. Jane
    April 8, 2015, 2:47 pm

I watched the ‘Buddy’ episode last night and still can’t shake it. All of these ‘reality’ shows are heavily edited so we do not know what really went down. However, the way it was shown was appalling. This was particularly shocking because the first two episodes were all ‘happy endings.’ I certainly don’t expect a show about a vet to not have any pets die but this was way more than that. I can only imagine if I had young kids and let them watch. Just awful.

7. Maxine
    April 11, 2015, 10:15 pm

I was appalled at the Buddy episode too. The dog was fragile, had been seriously injured, clearly the owner was an idiot, and the vet didn’t seem overly concerned. Vet should have spoken about abuse and neglect and didn’t. Should have hospitalized the dog. I really question Aloha Vet’s credibility.

8. Susan Evans
    KCMO
    April 12, 2015, 12:06 am

I am underwhelmed by the show Aloha Vet! Yes, the vet does good things. I just can’t shake the pain and suffering, cruelty and neglect Buddy felt, then he died. It is disgusting what the humans in this dogs life did to him. I am disappointed the vet just kept “fixing” the puppy’s wounds and repeated broken legs and handing the poor little dog over to the disgusting owner again and again. Then Nat Geo Wild airs the episode of animal cruelty and neglect. Why? Equally disgusted, all of you. Shame on all of you.

9. Eva brunell
    April 12, 2015, 7:11 am

I agree with the comments regarding buddy. At the very least the second attack could have easily been prevented by the owner by keeping the dog inside under supervision. This is obvious neglect by the owner and should have been reported to the local authorities. A responible owner would have kept his puppy safe. The fact that the show did nothing to address this even after the fact was disturbing. I will no longer watch this show.

10. Betsy Stevenson
    Huntington Beach, CA
    April 13, 2015, 1:49 pm

First time watcher for me as well, and I have had a horribly sick feeling in my stomach since watching the Buddy episode. It immediately struck me as a owner neglect; knowing he was instructed to “lock him (Buddy) up tonight” from the vet after the initial attack by a larger dog. When the dr. diagnosed Buddy as deaf, the look on the owner’s face said it all — he was disappointed; even slightly horrified. Like he didn’t want to deal with it. How did Buddy break his leg anyway? I didn’t see that part of the story if if was even addressed. It also crossed my mind that Buddy was being used as “practice” for fighting dogs. This piece of crap for a human owner needs to be investigated. What a sad, sad situation; seemingly ignored by the vet, the crew and everyone involved in the show. Won’t be watching this program again.

11. M. Dawson
    April 14, 2015, 1:10 am

The Buddy episode made me sick to my stomach to think what that poor little dog went through and then to act like it’s just something that happens is disgusting. How could he be put back in that situation a second time. How could his pain and suffering be dismissed so easily. Someone needs to be held accountable. We are all God’s creatures. I have blocked this show on my TV and we will no longer be watching. I hope there weren’t to many children that witnessed the torture and suffering of a puppy.

12. Keith Harrison
    Colorado
    April 14, 2015, 5:59 pm

I am shocked and outraged over the horrible treatment of Buddy the puppy.

I have written Nat Geo and also the Kauai Humane Society:
    reportcruelty@kauaihumane.org

I am hoping that someone will investigate this. My concern, beyond the abhorrent treatment of Buddy, is other dogs this “owner” may have in his possession. Definitely one of the more terrible and criminal things I have seen on TV.

13. Metry S
    NJ
    April 14, 2015, 9:29 pm

This is the day AFTER I watched the episode with Buddy the pup. I am still sick to my stomach and can still hear his cries. This poor animal was tough! He was deaf AND survived not one but TWO attacks from larger dogs. The third attack killed him. How in Gods name could that puppy have been given back to that idiot, ignorant, abusive, neglectful owner??? This was a tragedy that could have been prevented. Dr. Scott should have kept the puppy and investigated the scenario and living conditions. That pup did not stand a chance. Being deaf was bad enough, but to be viciously attacked 3 times was disgusting. SHAME ON EVERYONE involved in that story. How do you not step in???? That owner was clearly not the right owner for that beautiful, precious, special animal. We as humans did not do the job of protecting this puppy. His pain and whimpers made me cry and I am a 42 year old alpha male. I had that vision and sound of his cries since I watched it last night. Should have never been aired. It was no different than dog fighting on an innocent defenseless puppy. Utterly disgusting. I like the show up until that part. Going to take awhile for me to get over this one. Rest in peace Buddy. We love you baby doll xoxo

14. Celia
    April 16, 2015, 2:12 pm

I am still upset about Buddy–don’t think I can watch this show anymore. I wish someone could have done something to prevent the suffering inflicted on that precious dog~

15. Brooke
    Louisiana
    April 26, 2015, 4:26 am

I have blocked Aloha Vet in our home. I hope the show doesn’t make it, and that it is dropped after this season. I hate to think how my grandchildren would have felt, if they had been present when poor sweet little Buddy – a handicapped sweet little puppy was brought in already having a broken leg had to be given general anesthesia to have his deep puncture wounds sewed up. Poor little thing was in such pain he was crying like a baby. He is (was) just a baby!
    Then they determined he was deaf, then sent Buddy back home with the owner, instructing the owner NOT to put Buddy back in with other dogs that hurt him twice already.
    What does the DUFUS owner do?
    He puts poor sweet little hearing impaired Buddy right back in with other dogs – complete disregard for vets instructions and poor little helpless Buddy end up DEAD!
    The vet should really have held the owner responsible and reported him to the ASPCA for animal cruelty!
    What kind of lesson was taught here?
    No more Alha Vet for me!
    Very disappointed!!!
    Dr. Pol is much more compassionate and sets good examples with all his medical.
    CYA – akoha vet! Very poor medical ethics – very poor example for all of us to see! I can’t get that poor little puppys sad short painful life and demise outta my mind!

16. Anne
    Kansas
    May 10, 2015, 12:08 am

I’m trying to fall asleep 8 hours after watching the Buddy episode and still completely distraught. I know terrible thing happen but I cannot believe someone in good conscience OK’d this episode! There were no warnings like on human medical reality programming that some might find the content disturbing! What was the point of airing that story?! I’ll hear Buddy’s cries in my mind for weeks and years to come. Shame on NatGeo!

17. Jane Hughes-Labron
    Ontario,Canada
    May 10, 2015, 12:37 pm

I thought that the Aloha Vet was an exceptional doctor until I saw the episode on the little deaf dog,Buddy …
    That the little dog was sent home with his owner after the first dog attack with no investigation by authorities was terrible and then for his death by more dog attacks to be subsequently dismissed by the vet’s casual remark “that accidents happen” is appalling !…that poor little puppies cries and pain were horrific …I hope the vet reports this negligent owner to the ASPCA and justice is served for precious little Buddy ….I hope Buddy is frolicking at Rainbow Bridge today …

18. ginger andrews
    Canada
    May 11, 2015, 8:08 pm

wow ……not sure where to start…..still hear buddy the puppies cries in my head and heart days after saw this episode……what a sin!!! his little body ravaged and chewed up by another dog after he was sent home and was even sent home AGAIN without being protected from the other dogs who killed him!!!!shame on the vet !!!!but even more shame on the owner!!!!! horrific really ……if the owner has dogs that would do that THEY should be put down!!!!! and this owner shouldn’t be allowed to even have animals .!!!!!…..also disgusted that the network/producers are still re-airing this episode !!!!!??????someone do something!!!!!!!

19. Nicki Jandrisch
    Canada
    May 14, 2015, 9:28 pm

I’m happy to see there are so many of you that feel the same as I do, with the unnecessary and heart wrenching death of Buddy. Like many of you, I can’t sleep at night with the sound of Buddy’s cries echoing in my head. It would have been more humane for the Vet to euthanize that poor puppy than to send him home with his pathetic owner. Not that he already hadn’t suffered abuse, but when the Vet told the owner the dog was deaf I could tell by the look on the owners face that something bad was going to happen to this poor puppy. I can’t believe that the Vet sent him home after the attack. He needed to be comforted and taken care of in a warm home, not put outside to be attacked again. I have visions that the owner enticed the final attack to finish off this poor puppies life. I still feel sick to my stomach. When you watch an animal show you expect to see happy and sad stories, but this was an adorable healthy puppy who only died from animal neglect and cruelty when it could have been prevented. My heart just breaks for the pain that poor little puppy endured.

20. Steven
    Canada
    June 27, 2015, 3:44 pm

Everyone please email the Nat Geo channel and also this address and demand an investigation be done.

reportcruelty@kauaihumane.org

This poor sweet soul had no chance in life. We need to demand that something be done. I hope that poor excuse of a human being owner hears poor little Buddie’s cries everyday of his life. Owner when you meet your maker you will have some explaining to do!

21. Jan
    Idaho
    August 4, 2:54 pm

Over 1 year later I still weep when something reminds me of little Buddy’s cries of suffering
    and death. What is wrong with people who let
    things like this happen.

22. SAM
    Illinois
    September 2, 11:09 am

Was the Owner every investigated? I agree this case was brutal and he should have NEVER been returned.