He Did it Again! Dallas Seavey Wins Third Iditarod in Four Years

Congratulations Dallas Seavey! Our Ultimate Survival Alaska star won his third Iditarod in four years, beating his father to the finish line in Nome early Wednesday after racing 1,100 miles across Alaska.

Dallas and Mitch compete with each other in the web series Seavey vs. Seavey
Dallas and Mitch Seavey compete with each other in the National Geographic Channel web series, Seavey vs. Seavey

Dallas became the youngest Iditarod champion in 2012 at age 25, and he won again last year in 2014. Seavey finished this year’s race in eight days, 18 hours, 13 minutes, and 6 seconds–about five hours longer than the record he set for the 2014 race.

Dallas’ father and two-time champion, Mitch Seavey, finished this year’s race in second place. Mitch Seavey won the Iditarod in 2004, and he took home his second win in 2013. Fittingly, it was one year after Dallas became the race’s youngest winner that Mitch became its oldest winner at 53.

Mitch and Dallas have a longstanding healthy competitive spirit and passion for racing that we showcased in the web series, Seavey vs. Seavey. Watch it now:

And don’t miss the season finale of Ultimate Survival Alaska: The Final Gauntlet this Sunday at 10/9c

Comments

1. Margery Glickman
    Florida
    March 19, 2015, 5:51 pm

The Iditarod is terribly cruel to dogs.
    FACTS: http://helpsledddogs.org. National Geographic needs to grow a conscience and stop hyping people who abuse animals.

2. Mary
    Massachusetts
    March 19, 2015, 8:48 pm

Really…..

3. Rhonda Hinson
    Alaska
    March 19, 2015, 9:35 pm

The Iditarod IS NOT at all cruel to dogs!!!! These dogs LOVE to run and are amazing athletes. Mushers love their dogs and take extremely good care of their dogs. The health and well being of their dogs always come first!

4. sherry Myers
    Kirtland, NM
    March 21, 2015, 12:52 pm

People like Margery need to visit a dog mushers dog farm, see the dogs and understand what it’s all about, THEN they need to visit the start and the finish of the. Iditarod and the stops along the way. Then and only then are they qualified to voice their opinion!!!!!!

5. Jim
    Adirondacks N.Y.
    March 22, 2015, 3:41 pm

I have owned and cared for and loved my huskies for many years. Please stay clueless in Florida.

6. Jacqueline
    Seattle, wa
    March 23, 2015, 1:17 am

Margery is from Florida! I think that says it all! Her nose is probably so full of cocaine, she doesnt even know what dog sledding is!

7. Doc
    Lower 48
    March 23, 2015, 2:19 am

I always root for the Military, but Dallas Seavey has proven who he is! Hence the two wins on Ultimate Survival Alaska & his three Iditarod wins! Anyone that thinks the Iditarod is cruelty to the dogs…is a troll! IMHO of course!
    Get a grip

8. Mara We-Roland
    Tomah, WI
    March 23, 2015, 3:59 am

We’re just glad there ALL SAFE from there enduring triumph w/what they had on there BACKS!!

9. Debbie
    Palm Bay, Fl
    March 26, 2015, 8:54 pm

Jacqueline, I am aborn Floridian and truly hurt by your statement . I have never drank or done drugs so please don’t judge Floridians. I love USA show and watch a lot of shows about Alaska. I enjoy seeing the ways of life there. But not all people who live in Florida were born here.
    Happy for Dallas and his team but I also liked the Lower 48 team of 2. Congrats to all teams

10. Quinn Simpson
    Alaska/florida
    March 30, 2015, 5:45 pm

I am born and raised in Alaska and just moved to Florida this year, and it’s true that almost everyone down here gas no idea about what goes on in Alaska. However now living in Florida it is slightly offensive that you would say something like that. But the fact is that Margery live across the nation and has no first hand evidence and no idea or proof to back up her statement. just a person reading stuff online and thinking she knows everything then making condemnationd based on her “knowledge”. However my mom is a veterinarian in Alaska and has worked on the Iditarod and the fact is that there have been a few cases where dog owners have abused their dogs. However they were instantly condemed for their actions. However this is not a cause of the Iditarod, there are always sick people out there who do this, definitely more in Florida. The fact is most Iditarod mushers love their dogs and spend almost all their money on them. So most mushers are very nice to their dogs and take good care of them. Plus there are vets on the race carrying for the dogs.

11. Judy
    Pittsburgh, PA
    April 5, 2015, 4:27 pm

I would like to comment on the Ultimate Survival Show, The man Sweeney was soooo bad to put on that show. He was hateful, miserable, and downright, but Cluck and Kasha did so well without his nastiness, I hope in the future Nat Geo thinks twice before putting someone like him on. I also wish the show would come on next season, I really loved it!!!!

12. Jackie
    Canada
    April 7, 2015, 11:12 am

Congratulations Dallas Seavey!!! You are awesome 🙂 Most people who take the time to watch Dallas Seavey on this show would know that he is a super compassionate person and would take care of his dogs, as well as he does his people.
    Reading the comments above, it is clear that everyone is expressing their love and concern about the treatment of animals. I have heard of some news articles about dog sled teams, getting euthanized and poorly treated (starved) when times are tough up north. I have heard of the horrendous “rumoured” actions of some who drop their dog sled team on islands for the summer, to fend for themselves with the survivors being picked up in the fall. To me this is truly abusive.