Mick Dodge’s 30-Day Challenge: Week 4: Restore

Legendary wildman Mick Dodge lives life by his own unique philosophy in the wilderness of Washington state. Want to live like Mick? Follow his 30-day challenge to get in tune with the nature around you. Or as Mick explains, “You have 30 days to follow your feet, so your ancient body wisdom can teach. Yoish!”

So kick off those shoes and see if you can keep up! (Missed the Week 3 challenge? Catch up now!)

Week Four: Restore

Objective: Use what you’ve learned over the past three weeks and apply it to your daily life. “Restore” your relationship with nature. Follow your feet, and the earth will teach.

Questions to keep in mind: How do you handle modern civilization? What does the earth need from you? What are you contributing to the earth? Nature exists as a cooperative system. Where can you make a contribution?

Go outside for at least a few minutes every day. Notice if you are attracted to different things. Notice the changes in your awareness. Combine everything you’ve done in the previous weeks. Be more aware of where you step, how you step, how you use your body.

Here are a few suggestions to continue to restore your relationship with nature:

1. Keep up your “foot awareness” and go for regular walks outdoors. Use your mood as a trigger: when you are upset, happy, sad … go for a walk.
  2. Reduce computer time; go outside.
  3. Dance, prance, skip. Notice how it feels to move your body in this way. If others are around you, notice their reaction.
  4. See how much energy consumption you can reduce. Start altering your habitat to match the natural rhythms of the day.
  5. Align yourself with nature’s balance of light and dark. Reduce artificial light and use natural light whenever you can. Try to not use computers, cellphones and other electronics after dark. Avoid/reduce food and stimulation after dark.
  6. Find an animal to train with. Use animals that are found in your habitat (dogs, cats, squirrels, etc.). Look, listen, move, learn. Copy their movements and habits.
  7. Choose local foods and beverages. Align your body with the land and climate where you live. Support local workers/businesses.
  8. Watch the moon rise.

Doing the 30-day Mick Dodge challenge? Let us know! Share your experience in the comments! And don’t forget to follow the adventures of Mick and his forest-dwelling friends in new episodes of The Legend of Mick Dodge, Tuesdays at 9 & 9:30 p.m. ET/PT on National Geographic Channel.

Comments

1. crystle jenson
    February 18, 2015, 12:02 am

Hey Mick! I have been LOVING your challenges. I plan on taking friends to the woods and showing them in person what I have gained from it and your knowledge! I am tagging you in my outdoor photos on instagram (not sure if you have one of those or not). But the kids are loving listening to me speak about it. What you say really speaks to me and makes sence to me. Thank you so much! Sometimes we just need someone to point it out-the little things we are missing. newmoonmomma is my instagram if you are on it and want to follow 🙂

2. lyn
    mississippi
    February 18, 2015, 12:35 am

I wonder if Mick thinks a woman could live as he is.

3. Jean-Marie Cartwright
    gibsonton, florida
    February 18, 2015, 7:09 pm

Mick Dodge is my new hero! And at 59 I am a hard lady to impress.I would like to know if Mick has a lady friend or if he would be interested in teaching people interested in leaving society behind.It might be nice to wake with the birds and forage for all you need.Please let Mick know that he has a Hugh fan interested in living life in his world. Thank-you Nat.Geo,sincerely, Mick’s greatest fan.

4. Matt Donaldson
    East Tenn
    February 21, 2015, 1:20 pm

Even if we all know the show is so fake, it’s interesting.

5. bixley
    patchogue ny
    February 21, 2015, 5:29 pm

will mick return from lake taho after the wedding?????

6. marsha rader
    summersville, wva
    February 23, 2015, 8:56 pm

i love your show….. And i can’t wait to try the challenge….. After our 2ft of snow melts off that is.

7. Ana vazquez
    Buffalo, New York 14220
    February 24, 2015, 8:28 pm

Dear Mick, thank u 4 keeping me sane. Watching your shows relaxes me. Can’t wait 4 spring time so I can go fishing and exploring what Nature Preserve (Tiff Farm has to offer. Yoosh.

8. Mick Men
    February 24, 2015, 9:28 pm

Where the HELL is Mick.. We lost Mick some where tonight. What is up It is Tue 24 2015 Cant find Mick.

9. lisa beck
    cartersville,ga
    February 26, 2015, 4:18 pm

Is mick going to come back after the wedding

10. dawn zerby
    moses lake wa
    March 1, 2015, 8:13 pm

Our family loves Mick. We all know hes on a trip. But you all left millions of veiwers hanging. Where is? No show, No nothing, NOT even a rerun. Dont you think the loyal veiwers deserve more than that? Wheres Mick???

11. Sina
    pa
    March 18, 2015, 6:34 pm

In my most toughest times i have found Mick Dodge so inspiring and stress relieving that its unbelievable. Some say the show is fake, fake or not im in love with it. I would love to hear from Mick Dodge personally. Im 20 and my entire life i have thrived for such a living like that. Please send me a messege, -all my love.

12. Joshua/uphill
    Minnesota
    August 11, 2015, 6:23 pm

I would love it if Mick dodge would teach me about mushrooms, fungus, roots the things I can eat out there

13. chris mcdougall