Legendary wildman Mick Dodge lives life by his own unique philosophy in the wilderness of Washington state. Want to live like Mick? Follow his 30-day challenge to get in tune with the nature around you. Or as Mick explains, “You have 30 days to follow your feet, so your ancient body wisdom can teach. Yoish!”
So kick off those shoes and see if you can keep up! (Missed the Week 3 challenge? Catch up now!)
Week Four: Restore
Objective: Use what you’ve learned over the past three weeks and apply it to your daily life. “Restore” your relationship with nature. Follow your feet, and the earth will teach.
Questions to keep in mind: How do you handle modern civilization? What does the earth need from you? What are you contributing to the earth? Nature exists as a cooperative system. Where can you make a contribution?
Go outside for at least a few minutes every day. Notice if you are attracted to different things. Notice the changes in your awareness. Combine everything you’ve done in the previous weeks. Be more aware of where you step, how you step, how you use your body.
Here are a few suggestions to continue to restore your relationship with nature:
- Keep up your “foot awareness” and go for regular walks outdoors. Use your mood as a trigger: when you are upset, happy, sad … go for a walk.
- Reduce computer time; go outside.
- Dance, prance, skip. Notice how it feels to move your body in this way. If others are around you, notice their reaction.
- See how much energy consumption you can reduce. Start altering your habitat to match the natural rhythms of the day.
- Align yourself with nature’s balance of light and dark. Reduce artificial light and use natural light whenever you can. Try to not use computers, cellphones and other electronics after dark. Avoid/reduce food and stimulation after dark.
- Find an animal to train with. Use animals that are found in your habitat (dogs, cats, squirrels, etc.). Look, listen, move, learn. Copy their movements and habits.
- Choose local foods and beverages. Align your body with the land and climate where you live. Support local workers/businesses.
- Watch the moon rise.
Doing the 30-day Mick Dodge challenge? Let us know! Share your experience in the comments! And don’t forget to follow the adventures of Mick and his forest-dwelling friends in new episodes of The Legend of Mick Dodge, Tuesdays at 9 & 9:30 p.m. ET/PT on National Geographic Channel.