Mick Dodge’s 30-Day Challenge: Week 2

Legendary wildman Mick Dodge lives life by his own unique philosophy in the wilderness of Washington state. Want to live like Mick? Follow his 30-day challenge to get in tune with the nature around you. Or as Mick explains, “You have 30 days to follow your feet, so your ancient body wisdom can teach. Yoish!”

So kick off those shoes and see if you can keep up! (Missed week 1? Catch up now!)

Week Two: Remember – Part 2

Objective: Open your senses and let your feet guide you. Shift your attention off yourself and onto the living world.

Days One–Seven:

Find a 20-minute walk you can do from your house. Each day, focus on a different sense while you are walking. Notice what you didn’t notice before. Our culture has trained us to rely on cars. So even as a pedestrian, we tend to follow the paved road. This challenge: Get off the road and walk the earth! Walk on earth as much as possible. Notice how the terrain feels different.

Day One (Sound)

• On your walk, pay attention to the different sounds you hear. What do you hear? How many different sounds can you identify?

Day Two (Sight)

• On your walk, look at things differently. Pay attention to the different colors and textures of the nature around you. What do you notice that you didn’t see before? Pick one color and notice that color throughout your day.

Day Three (Smell & Taste)

• On your walk, breathe using your nose to take in the different smells around you. Scent can be a powerful memory trigger, so use this sense to remind yourself of your connection with the world around you.
  • Also, pay close attention to the different tastes you experience today. With each bite, notice the different flavors and textures and think of where the food came from in the earth.

Day Four (Touch)

• Pay close attention to the different textures that you come across today (through both your feet and your hands). On your walk, feel the different surfaces that your foot comes in contact with. Notice how the grass feels, how the dirt moves under your foot, and how the concrete forces you to walk differently.

Day Five (Water)

• Primitive man had “water sense.” Modern man goes to the tap (or bottle). Challenge yourself to find a source of clean drinking water – take your “water sense” on a walk! Do you even know where your water comes from? If not, find it! Take a picture of what you found and remember to tag it #MickDodge.

Day Six (Food)

• When you’re hungry, your first thought is to grab some food from the refrigerator. But what if you didn’t have one? Where would food be in your habitat? What is edible outside of your house? Do you know which flowers and foliage you could eat outside in the wild? Take your “food sense” on a walk. Discover, explore.

Day Seven (Grounding)

• Take everything that you learned this week and find a space in nature where you can freely walk with open senses. Take in the sights, sounds, smells and touch, and look for things you may have not noticed before. Maybe you’re more aware of the feeling of the ground that you are walking on, or you notice different types of local wildlife that you didn’t realize shared an ecosystem with you. Vary the speed of your movements — whether your main speed is running, strolling, etc.

Doing the 30-Day Mick Dodge challenge? Let us know! Share your experience in the comments and be sure to come back next Tuesday for Week 3’s challenge! And don’t forget to follow the adventures of Mick and his forest-dwelling friends in new episodes of The Legend of Mick Dodge, Tuesdays at 9 & 9:30 p.m. ET/PT on National Geographic Channel.

Comments

1. amberly fleming
    adrain ga. usa
    February 3, 2015, 8:52 pm

I would love to live like u do. I love nature .and defiantly walking barefoot everywhere I go. I’m not a girly girl been raised in country and love adventure anywhere I go…

2. Amy Bressette
    Lyndonville Vermont
    February 4, 2015, 7:51 pm

For a young age i have found myself in the small wooded area to break away from the fast moving life an noises. After becoming under states care I was moved around and wasn’t able to spend t with nature agnd it’s beautys. Upon becoming an young adult I was found I lost way. Since I heard of Megain watching. An than didI realize their were people who live with the land. An it is possible. Without any one as I grew to help me learn to live with the land. I’ve been looking for someone for quit sometime to help begin my journey.

3. Samantha
    Philadelphia
    February 5, 2015, 4:56 pm

Its Working! (Energy transcends time & space I guess)……If I am being healed then so must many others. What you are doing for your fellow mankind leaves me with tears that seem to cleanse all the impurities bottled up inside……. You Heard Me!? How could you have heard me, we are on opposite sides of the United States……….. I Can Hear You, I Can See You, I Can Feel You………..You amaze me

4. Samantha
    Philadelphia
    February 5, 2015, 9:25 pm

Let The Healing Begin ~ My smile is back and my faith in humanity restored. I will thank National Geographic’s Christmas day marathon Of “The Legends of Mick Dodge” for finding you. Funny, I don’t watch t.v. and had only upgraded my cable temporarily……..otherwise I may have never found you.

Thank You Mick Dodge and friends for wanting to share your knowledge with the rest of us. It wasn’t your teachings on how to step with your feet but your emphasis on smiling that has changed my life.

I love doing your 30 day challenge and I am doing it with a smile on my face. What a missing ingredient this has been in my life. They say only a Master can make something difficult look so easy and in this world, happiness can be just an illusion & difficult to find. For me however, all I have to do now is remember the twinkle in Mick’s eyes and my smile is back. Thanks!

5. Brandy
    Northern Indiana
    February 7, 2015, 1:34 am

Mick, I am infatuated. I love every wrinkle on your forehead and every crinkly hair on your head even the one’s sprouting from your ears. I almost feel like I am doing something wrong when I watch you because you tickle me so. You seem to me ageless and timeless like you exist outside of the normal world. When you took a dip in the river and came out proclaiming “that will wake you up in the morning, boy” I found myself giddy. That grin you bear seems just this side of wicked. You are truly endearing.

6. Richard Maio
    Edgewater, MD
    February 7, 2015, 9:40 am

I love the show – reality or not. It shows the Ho forest as it is (I’ve been there several times) and although the depictions may not be completely authentic, as long as they are what you would see in the forest, I’m OK with that. Natgeo has done a great job of using Mick’s talents as a way showing love for the forest. Keep up the GREAT WORK!!

7. ray | Timeshare attorney
    united states
    February 7, 2015, 1:38 pm

i must have that beard D;

8. […] Mick Dodge’s 30-Day Challenge: Week 2 […]