Dr. Pol Is Back For a New Season and a Special Biopic Telling His Incredible Story!

A young man from the Netherlands falls in love and moves to the United States — the country of opportunity. He lives the American dream by raising a family and starting his own veterinary business in central Michigan, which over the years has become a thriving practice. Little did he know that, at the age of 70, he would become a global television star. He’s our No. 1 man, and now we’re revealing what makes him The Incredible Dr. Pol.

Nat Geo WILD cameras have followed Dr. Pol for five years, shadowing him as he saves lives, births baby animals large and small and cares for thousands of species throughout rural Michigan. Now for the first time, he shares his personal story about how a Dutch farm boy grew up to become a world-famous veterinarian, in a new world premiere bio special, Incredible! The Story of Dr. Pol, premiering Saturday, Jan. 10 at 10 p.m. ET/PT on Nat Geo WILD.

We go back to his childhood in the Netherlands during World War II, and hear about his move to the American Midwest to follow his dream of becoming a veterinarian. We learn how he met and fell in love with his wife of 50 years, and talk to the people in his community who count on him to keep their animals healthy, day and night, rain or shine. By his estimate, his practice has treated more than half a million animals and counting. We bring you the best of those stories.

“Diane came out of the crowd, first thing I say, ‘man, she’s tall.’ We got along fine, it seemed like Diane and I had the same interests an awful lot. We love the beach, we love to go swimming, so we had a lot of hobbies that were together,” says Dr. Pol.

He also shares his life-changing moments, including the joy of delivering a litter of piglets on his family’s farm when he was 12 years old and how that started his journey of working with animals. This is the personal history of a man who has become perhaps the hardest working, most empathetic, no-nonsense vet who isn’t afraid to make the difficult decisions in order to do what’s best for his patients and their hard-working owners.

“Be honest with your clients. That was always first. Work hard, and if you don’t know what the problem is, don’t be afraid to admit it,” says Pol in the special.

He’s got wit, brains, and a heart of gold. Dr. Pol’s passion and love for animals is clear as we take a walk down memory lane to uncover the good doctor’s past.

The new season of The Incredible Dr. Pol, premieres Saturday, Jan. 10 at 9/8c. We’ll learn more about Dr. Pol’s love of his vintage cars and follow along as he treats rural Michigan’s finest furry friends, including horses, pigs, cows, sheep, alpacas, cats and dogs. This season, watch Dr. Pol treat a goat for pneumonia, a horse unable to keep his meal down, and a pig in desperate need of stitches. It’s another busy time at the clinic, as the animals need care and attention to keep farmers’ businesses thriving.

Incredible! The Story of Dr. Pol premieres Saturday, Jan. 10 at 10/9c following the new season premiere of the Incredible Dr. Pol! at 9/8c on Nat Geo WILD.

Comments

1. Deb Hamilton
    NC
    January 10, 2015, 10:13 am

I am disgusted that you show a clip of a cat who has never had a successful litter on Dr Pol, is there not enough back yard breeders and needless breeding of dogs and cats. This person should have spayed her cat long ago. I live in NC where there are literally thousands of strays , I work in a shelter that literally at one time has 100-200 animals. And being in the veterinary community the VAST majority don’t like Dr Pol, and the reason he is famous is because he has a good personality NOT BECAUSE he is a good vet.

2. Michelle Wallace
    Fort Myers, Fl
    January 10, 2015, 3:57 pm

Love, love, love, love, love, love the show and everyone on it.
    Dr.Pol is tough, hard working, brilliant, down to earth and a truly honest man who doesn’t pretend to know everything which is why I love him and everyone on the show. They all enjoy learning, living, and loving life to the fullest. They give much more than they take, and they do it because they care. I thoroughly enjoy every episode. Thanks NGW

3. Carol Black
    Cleve., Ohio
    January 11, 2015, 10:54 am

It’s always a joy to watch Dr. Pol, we can’t expect any one person to “fix” the stray cat problem. Dr. Pol does support spay and nueter

4. Sussan
    SC USA
    January 12, 2015, 5:14 am

Deb, I already like him much more than that political mumbo jumbo you just set to page. Though I must laugh hardly … What an awful thought, that people like him because, as you put it, he has a good personality. Take my word for it, you could learn something here.

5. Kim
    Western NY
    January 12, 2015, 12:45 pm

Deb, you obviously missed the episode where Charles helped a local animal rescue trap feral cats and Dr. Pol spayed/neutered them. During the show he offered his services to the shelter whenever they needed him.
    He can’t force owners to spay/neuter.

6. Susan Lantzer
    January 17, 2015, 12:20 pm

I work in rescue also only difference is mine is canine. Dr Pol has a GREAT personality you are correct in that, but wrong on most everything else. Dr Pol uses his fame to do what he can for ALL spay and neuter, not once have i heard him condone backyard breeding, but pushes the exact opposite of it! His office takes ALL animals in need, should they have let the poor cat die? Do you know what the circumstances were up to the particular show the public saw? I love this show and hope it continues for a long time. Thank you NatGeo Wild!

7. Kathy Messerly
    January 26, 2015, 6:11 pm

Deb Hamilton I think your just jealous! He can’t force ppl to make choices with their animals, he is famous because he is an amazing person who don’t screw people over with prices and his work is trust worthy! Grow up and if u don’t like him get a life aside from bashing one of the few great people left in this god forsaken world!

8. Tina Kemper
    March 7, 2015, 10:27 pm

If only more vets were like Dr. Pol! Those are the ethics and common sense approaches that would do that industry some good

9. Jan blohm
    Onaway
    March 25, 2015, 4:26 pm

ask the communities around his area what they think of him – he does more than some ppl think – i want the show to last forever, even when he finally retires I will still want more. if u want to complain, think about md.’s that cut off wrong extremities or anesthetists that over or under drug – this as pathetic

10. Elaine
    Illinois, USA
    March 27, 2015, 5:44 pm

We have been animal lovers all our lives. We look forward to Saturdays to watch Doc Pol and his family & staff. I can’t fathom how anybody would not like him or the show. With all the goofy reality shows,this one is superior to all of them. I just fear he will get tired of it and not do it anymore. It is interesting and refreshing. Please keep it on for us!! Many thanks (:

11. Evelyn Guerra
    ocala fl.
    March 28, 2015, 10:30 am

I think Dr. pol is one great vet. I love his show, and think that vet in Ky. gave Dr. pol a bad rap. I lived in Mi. all my life and watched the show for a good many years, and hope NGW will never cancel his show. God bless him.

12. Rick Johnson
    Port Huron, MI
    April 18, 2015, 4:58 pm

One of the few TV shows that my wife and I thoughly love watching together . Will there be any new shows this spring 2015?

13. Joan Stevens
    Georgetown,Ohio 45121
    April 18, 2015, 8:17 pm

I think the Vet in Ky.is jealous and a trouble maker.He or she
    should build on his or her practice and leave the Pol’s alone.Why do they want to knock down someone?All that vet did was bring bad publicity to them in Ky.I hope the Ky. vet lost client’s.

14. vicki henrichsrn
    April 19, 2015, 1:02 am

I dearly love watching Dr. Pol and his family. His staff and family are so totally devoted to animal care and do not hesitate to show love and compassion to the animals as well as their owners. I enjoy the banter between Charles and his dad.Diane and Dr Pol work well together showing respect and love with each exchange. What a wonderful family show for all of us to enjoy! Please keep him on the air until he no longer wants to share his life and work.

15. Diane Waggner
    May 6, 2015, 2:03 pm

Just love this show. Can’t wait for each new season to start. Everyone on the show is so caring, it is a wonderful show for everyone to enjoy. Dr. Pol at his age is an inspiration to everyone.

16. Brenda
    Jacksonville,Florida
    May 6, 2015, 11:15 pm

Why isn’t Dr Pol’ s New seasons shows on?

17. Belinda
    Newberg, Oregon
    June 1, 2015, 2:12 pm

I just LOVE the show and would love to see the “special” about the early years of Doc Pol and Diane. So I hope it will be rebroadcast.
    They are wonderful people and give us all a better understanding of Veterinary medicine. We need more episodes of this fantastic show.

18. sara
    france
    June 28, 2015, 9:18 am

Hello!
    I come from France and I watch “l’incroyable docteur Pol” every day! I love this family thanks you so much!
    merci beaucoup docteur pol, on adore votre emission!!!!

19. Bonnie and David conner
    Cowichan bay , b.c.
    August 3, 2015, 9:47 pm

Watch dr.pol all the time.We love him and his team..

20. Kendi Dray
    upstate New York
    August 22, 2015, 7:47 am

Dr. Pol and family & Staff have forever warmed a place in my heart! I am an elementary school teacher that LOVES animals and includes them in the classroom! I especially love the episode when Dr. Pol visits a school classroom and shares about animal care. Thank you for this wonderful show that inspires people to take care of God’s creation!

21. Anne Hurl
    Toronto. Ontario. Canada
    September 7, 2015, 6:01 pm

I absolutely love this show, I just stumbled across it about a week and a half ago and I’m just going through all the series now I’m up to series 8 and trying to look for 9. what I really love about this is that it’s giving me the opportunity sit down with my granddaughter and spend some quality time on a show that not only offers a human touch but also puts in caring loving and how to be kind to animals in a very Fostering environment. I hope the show goes on for years. my grand daughter is trying to talk me into a road trip just to go visit the clinic that’s how impressed she is

22. Anne Hurl
    Toronto. Ontario. Canada
    September 21, 2015, 8:08 pm

I absolutely love this show, not only is it a show that deals with animals and the various problems at the deal with but also there’s a take on how to deal with the owners and the caring and giving way in which doctor pol addresses the issues is outstanding. Not only does he go beyond what is required for a veterinarian. Dr pulled goes out in any type of weather day or night. I really hope this show gets continued I love watching it can’t wait for the next season

23. Patricia A. Wolfe
    Youngstown, FL
    October 3, 2015, 4:18 pm

Love this show!

24. cindi
    Florida
    October 5, 2015, 10:13 am

I love this guy and would love to have him as a vet. I even record the reruns. I typically hate this kind of show and just stumbled on it and have watched it since. would love to ask 2 questions: Did Aunt B the big black cow make it? Could you introduce your entire staff sometime on the show?

25. Tom Clayton, MD
    Houston
    October 30, 2015, 10:57 am

I completely disagree with comments suggesting that Dr. Pol is not a good Vet. He is the best I have ever seen and the proof is in his results; everyone has an occasional misstep (see below). All physicians of any type do the best that they can but large animal Vets do not have access to fancy and expensive radiological tests used primarily on humans that often make accurate diagnoses WITHOUT clinical input.

As to other veterinarians not “liking” him, they should be glad that someone of his caliber promotes their profession, since many of them have a tendency to overcharge in their small animal practices. Currently there is no complaint list for Vets who mess up in practice, but everyone makes mistakes no matter how hard they try not to; it is a fact of human life.

Why be negative about Dr. Pol? I say that these Vets are jealous and from the comments I have seen complain about mostly irrelevant things. Dr. Pol is doing what human doctors do every day, meaning applying learned skills to resolve problems and MOST of the time he is successful. No human doctor is always successful and it is highly dependent on the patient mix and the diseases being covered.

Doing large animal care is tough because of having to do it on location; so the ignoramus vet that complained of things like there are not enough sterile coverings for surgery is completely missing the point; bacteria are absolutely everywhere and it is impossible to clear them all out plus the bacteria that are on the outside of animals are usually symbiotic, just like humans. This is where antibiotics come in very handy; abused by small animal vets and human doctors because patients demand them and they make money.

26. Sue H
    Rescue, Ca
    November 15, 2015, 9:54 am

Here it is November, ans I miss his show sooo bad on saturdays. It brought such joy and crying times to me. Lots of animal lovers up here. Wish you were on all year.

27. tori day
    Canada
    December 8, 2015, 2:54 pm

Charles you look much better when you keep your beard trimmed short

28. Ruth Brown
    December 11, 2015, 10:34 pm

Luv the show!
    I would like to see a show just being introduced to all of Dr. Pols animals , especially his Fresian horses,, and also does he ride them??
    Can’t wait until the next season!!!!!

29. cindy sauvage
    January 8, 5:50 pm

I take my pets to this clinic, we see Dr Brenda and love it there, I drive an hour just to go there because they are good and not as expensive as ones closer to me. Dr Pol and his staff are GREAT so if you don’t know what you’re talking about SHUT UP!!!

30. Michelle Crooker
    Hughesville, Missouri
    January 9, 6:35 pm

Just finished your book, again I can’t express how much I admire you,you staff and your family! Thank you so much for every single darn thing you do to better the life of an animal…whether it’s livestock or a precious pet as well thank you for your positive piece about pit bull dogs I have 3 year old pitty, 3 cats, 1 goat and 1 big sweet horse. My mom in law was lucky enough to meet you when you were in Missouri ( signed copy)! Now waiting to see your season premiere….HeeHaw

31. Alfredo Torre
    February 7, 2:03 pm

Dr pol….is a great doc with the animals and I love his show can’t wait to see the new episodes. .

32. Alfredo Torres
    February 7, 2:05 pm

He’s a great vet…and im looking forward to his new episodes. ..

33. Lisa House
    Clyde, Ohio
    February 27, 9:06 pm

To the people with the negative comments about Dr. Pol…I can’t believe that you know so much about this vet and his practice from watching a TV show…a TV show…a TV show that highlights a few unique vet cases each episode. Did I mention this is a TV show? It can’t possibly show every animal seen, every test done, every conversation…i watch the show to be entertained and I consider myself a tough critic as my chosen career was in the medical field (I am retired), and I think Dr. Pol is just the type of vet I would want caring for my fur babies.

34. Chantal Syc
    March 27, 1:29 am

Why is doctor nPols’s new season actually reruns with them changing the date to reflect this season? I kept the other seasons on DVR and thought I saw these before, so I compared them. The new 3/26/16 is actually a previous season. They changed the date and reran the reruns as a new season.

35. Chantal Syc
    TX
    March 27, 1:35 am

I grew up in Mich. Dr.Pol was my vet before. He is an excellent vet. Deb, dont like it, dont come on here and give us grieve. You come off jealous. His knowledge is vast and has saved many many animals including mine. SO LAY OFF !!!

36. Ruthanne Price
    April 17, 4:29 pm

MORE DR. POL!!!! WE CAN’T GET ENOUGH!!!

37. Bethany
    PA
    April 20, 4:00 pm

I love Dr.Pol! I love watching all the shows and interactions between him , the staff, and other vets . This show does a great job of showing the reality of how farm life and raising livestock can be . Having grown up on a farm I appreciate how Dr. Pol and other vets handle the animals and owners by being straight forward, thorough , and honest about problems they encounter . Please don’t ever stop this show . I pray Dr. Pol keeps on going for another 20 years !

38. Pat Kennedy
    Ga
    April 21, 7:20 pm

I wish NGW would carry this show year round!!! I love the show, the pols and All of the vets on it! Please consider extending the episodes!!!!!

PAK

39. Kathy N
    Delaware
    June 13, 2:43 pm

I love The Incredible Dr. Pol shows. I even enjoy watching the reruns 2 or 3 times over! I particularly enjoy watching him and Charles bringing new animal babies into the world. Where else would a city girl get to see this miracle? Because of his age, I have been fearing something has happened to him since there are no NEW shows on TV now. Please let us know when a new season will be forthcoming. Thanks!!

40. Connie F.
    Henderson, NV
    June 19, 1:01 pm

I miss Dr. Pol. Nat Geo….. Please bring him back!

41. Tracey
    July 11, 3:22 am

Love the show

42. Tracey
    July 11, 3:24 am

I am so glad that there are people on this earth like the Pols. They are wonderful people. Thank you for creating this show.

43. Kelly
    July 16, 8:34 pm

Deb Hamilton,
    You’re in NC, Dr Pol is in Michigan. There was an episode where he helped spay and neuter a bunch of cats. There are people who don’t like Dr Phil for one reason or the other. Dr Pol goes to local 4H days and teaches the kids how to treat the animals. This world is made up of individuals who can choose how they feel about each situation. ” Choose the high road… there’s a lot less traffic up there…” (Dr Phil)

44. Torey Sides
    Huntsville, AL
    August 1, 3:12 pm

Hello, I am a 10th grader that loves your show! Upon graduation I plan on going to school to earn me doctorate in veternary medicine. I love your show and watch it all the time. I would be a dream come true to shadow you or have and internship with you before I start college. I wanted to inquire if you had these kind of opportunities available. I look forward to your response. Sincerely, Torey S., Alabama

45. Paula Naughton
    Goodyear, AZ
    August 19, 3:35 pm

I love this show! I would like to hear more about the treatment outcomes if possible. I am from Michigan but moved to AZ three years ago and enjoy looking at the Michigan countryside and farms through this show. I like the fact that he has a natural instinct to diagnose and treat. Diagnostics, although many times are useful, fall short when the client cannot afford it and is often inconclusive.

46. Paula Hamblen
    August 20, 7:47 pm

When do new episodes of Dr. Pol begin?

47. Angie
    Michigan
    September 11, 9:13 am

I had a local Vet refuse care to my horse that was colicing because I was not an established client with his practice. I called Dr. Pol and he came right out and treated my horse, and I am actually out of his service area. This to me is an example of what a real Vet should be, he is Not in this for the Money nor the Fame, he genuinely cares about all animals!