Start Your Day on Safari With Safari Live!

Africa is far and pricey for most to travel to. But that’s not stopping Nat Geo WILD from bringing Africa to you. Beginning Saturday, Nov. 29, at 9 a.m. ET on Nat Geo WILD, Safari Live gives viewers a front row seat on daily safari rides as we explore the natural habitat of lions, giraffes, elephants and more.

No passport required for this one! As part of BIG CAT WEEK, Nat Geo WILD’s week dedicated to big cat programming to help save big cats in the wild, you will witness these majestic animals each morning with two expert guides leading the way. All you need is an appetite for adventure and love for our wildlife friends in the African bush. Safari guides Pieter Pretorius and Hayden Turner take us deep into South Africa’s Sabi Sands Park to bring us face to face with Africa’s wildlife, including lions, leopards, elephants, and buffalos. A rare opportunity, our cameras are bringing Africa to your fingertips to reveal how these magnificent creatures live.

Safari guides Pieter and Hayden will also answer questions from viewers live via Twitter  with hashtag #safarilive, and on our website WILDSafariLive.com during the safari between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m. ET.

“Born and raised in Namibia, I know the heart of the African bush, and it has a pulse like no other,” said Pieter. “When you are in the bush, it’s you and the animal face to face — in the moment, no boundaries, no limitations, no distractions. Just you and nature. It’s a remarkable experience that I love sharing with newcomers.”

More than a television event, Big Cat Week is an extension of the Big Cats Initiative, a long-term commitment by the National Geographic Society to stop poaching, save habitats, and sound the call that big steps are needed to save big cats around the world. This global initiative actively supports on-the-ground conservation projects and education to help stem and eventually reverse the rapid disappearance of big cat populations. For more information on the Big Cats Initiative and how you can get involved, visit causeanuproar.com.

About the Safari Guides:

Pieter PretoriusPieter Pretorius has been a game drive guide since 1997, when he started working as a guide in Pilanesberg National Park at the exclusive lodge, Tshukudu, focusing on finding Africa’s big five. He has guided over 1,500 hours of walking trails and has become involved with various research projects, including the bull elephant and lion introduction into Kruger National Park. He has nearly 20 years of field experience with tracking wildlife in the African bush.

Hayden TurnerHayden Turner is a wildlife expert who reports from some of the wildest and most scenic places on earth. He has worked and traveled throughout the world, filming across the African continent and in more than 35 other countries. Hayden is known for his private safaris, exclusive escapes and expeditions throughout Africa, Asia, Australia and the Middle East. Hayden’s philosophy is that the most effective approach to conservation is through education, technology and inspiring people to care for the planet, coupled with understanding people’s different perceptions of wildlife.

Live safaris start Saturday at 9 a.m. ET on Nat Geo WILD! You can also catch bonus safaris online at WILDSafariLive.com.

Comments

1. kathi
    Lorton, VA
    November 29, 2014, 11:03 am

This is an awesome show!

2. Andrea
    November 30, 2014, 3:28 am

It was sad to see in Swamp Lions the two male lions trace the female lion at night, killing her cub, especially since it might not have happened had “man” not followed her and shone a spotlight on her, revealing her hideouts. I have seen how interfering nature film crews, as well as scientists (shooting, drugging, “collaring”) can be. Altering nature, handicapping animals, in this case probably leading to the death of a cub. The few wild places left are not a place for “man v nature” but rather humility in nature. And a reality check on the narrative, full of macho human projection onto a very different species from ourselves. This is not accurate reflection of animal’s lives and perceptions. For one thing I’m curious how one mighty male makes a pride invulnerable to two mighty males. Also curious how the female lions “submit” while at the same time “holding their ground”. Submission means not holding one’s ground but giving in. When the female lions signal they are not challenging the males to fight by laying down, this may symbolize submission to the men watching but animals do not process symbols. Just signals. This is basic zoology. National Geo should have higher standards for those who make films about animals and nature.

3. Michael M.
    Seattle
    November 30, 2014, 8:57 am

This is so cool! My mom watched the game drives all the time online until they went off air a couple of years ago. She’s so excited they’re back! And this time on TV! My dad passed a year ago December, and this is the first time I’ve seen my mom get excited about something. It means a lot to me. Thank you!

4. debbie ritchie
    new castle indiana
    November 30, 2014, 11:12 am

Thank u for this wonderful tour live african safari!Hayden you are a wonderful tour guide and i couldnt think of a better way to spend today and hope more of these are broadcasted soon!I love this BIG CAT WEEK! ITs been awesome !!

5. TexasBlonde
    Denison, TX, USA
    November 30, 2014, 5:48 pm

There was a large group of us who followed Pieter and the other live safari guide when Wild Earth first experimented with their live stream broadcast on the internet. I am beyond happy others are getting to view the drive live on National Geographic Wild. I was broken hearted when my computer died and it was over a year later before my son bought a laptop. By that time they were no longer streaming the live drives. The beauty of the different animals, watching Karula and her offspring grow and mature, the lions and lionesses, and a baby elephant so cute doing his best to intimidate them with his charge including flapping his ears brought joy to all. It was very hard, though, to watch a rouge group of Mapopo lions killing cubs in order to be able to mate with the lionesses so they would bear their offspring. It was very hard to see, but was a harsh reminder of the circle of life.

I dearly hope National Geographic viewers love these live safari drives as much as we did.

6. Kathryn Bernier
    December 1, 2014, 10:52 am

If you are in a remote area, why are there roads there?

7. Dave Johnson
    Hayfield,MN USA
    December 2, 2014, 10:49 am

talk about some of the close calls you have had over the yrs. thanks.

8. Jane Marinello
    FlOrida
    December 2, 2014, 11:16 am

I LOVE this show. Can’t walk away. Wish I was next to you in the car. Stay safe. Grandma Jane

9. Joe
    Virginia, USA
    December 3, 2014, 11:47 am

I really enjoyed the tour this morning, I wish I had time to watch the whole thing. A safari is definitely on my list as nothing is better than seeing it live.

10. George Hurd
    Arizona
    December 3, 2014, 5:22 pm

Want to see lions

11. Rachel Jones
    Eyota, Mn
    December 4, 2014, 9:52 am

Have always wanted to go on safari but health will not allow this. But this show is great. Bravo!

12. Lynn Flanagan
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    December 4, 2014, 10:09 am

Fabulous show! Don’t mind the satellite and other technical problems. Do very much mind the commercial breaks just when the baby elephant gets into the water hole, etc. Great choices of sincere, articulate, attractive guides who make the “animal-less” times interesting. Would enjoy knowing the names of the birds we can hear.

13. Twila Hanna
    Pennsylvania
    December 4, 2014, 11:09 am

Thank you for this exciting live safari experience on television. It’s amazing to sit in my living room and have this adventure each morning. The guides are informative and show a sincere love and respect for the animals and their opportunity to share their job with a viewing public. Thank you again..

14. Leslie Havery
    Florida
    December 5, 2014, 9:37 am

I have a million questions but for now I just want to let you know how much I am enjoying my safari on the couch in Florida. This experience is pretty close to fulfilling my dream (wish list) of going on a safari. I planned for years and saved money to go when I retired. I retired this year but one thing lead to another and decided not to go. Some of the views/camera shots, scenery, animals – I am so tempted to grab my camera and take pictures. So this has been an awesome experience by riding along in the jeep and really seeing what a safari really means. Thank you, thank you. LRH

15. William Loucks
    East Pembroke, New York
    December 6, 2014, 10:40 am

Refreshing to be able to watch live safari. Amazing work history of these indviduals in the jeeps, not at all like Big Cat Safari which is all repeat re-runs and commercials. I was in South Africa before all the turmoil, do not believe it to be safe to go there now.

16. Norma Jean Kenney
    Manlius, NY
    December 9, 2014, 3:10 pm

I watched Pieter and HT every morning. Now I am going through withdrawal. I felt like we were on safari from 9AM to Noon EST. Will there be another in the future?

17. Vicki & Harry Reeves
    Surprise,az
    December 13, 2014, 3:41 pm

PLEASE bring the Safari’s back to TV. Going on a Safari has been a dream of both of us but due to Hubbies health it just isn’t going to happen, so this the next best thing. We really enjoyed the whole series and have it recorded and watch it again and again, But would really love to have more Live Safari’s on TV PLEASE

18. El
    USA
    December 14, 2014, 5:21 am

This was an extraordinary series. Beautifully executed in spite of the technical issues which are bound to happen and intelligent, knowledgeable guides who are obviously passionate about what they do. I hope NatGeoWild plans to do more of these, hoping it becomes a regular series, perhaps in different locations but with the same presenters. Thank for the education & experience.

19. Barbara
    New york
    December 14, 2014, 5:27 am

We loved every minute of the live safari drives during Big Cat Week. Pieter and Hayden were professional, delightful and keep us interested from beginning to end. Please do more of these show, not just for big cat week. You’re NatGeo Wild, you can go anywhere. But have Pieter and Hayden as the presenters. Keep us glued to our TV.

20. Alexander Dutton
    columbus, ohio
    December 14, 2014, 8:23 am

Marylin Monroe, I am in the same boat as you, I need my safari live back! please make this at least a quarterly event.

21. […] part of its Big Cats Week, National Geographic is featuring daily live safari drives from Kruger Park in South Africa through […]

22. tony
    boston
    January 3, 2015, 5:25 pm

I don’t get it. I ve been watching for 20 minutes and the host is still talking from the jeep. The info is OK but kids to totally lost interest. Real boring.

23. Peggy Riemer
    March 17, 2015, 11:30 pm

Is it true that Pieter is known fir big game hunting?

24. Sueso
    Seaside, Oregon
    May 3, 2015, 12:44 am

I am a long time watcher of the live safaris. I never thought much about the wild animals of Africa until I started watching this program and got to know the various animal groups around Sabi Sands. I was astonished how wonderfully beautiful their lives were, how exciting and funny yet family oriented many times, esp the Ellie’s and others. Now I care what happens. Got to know many people from there and others all around the world, as well. What a marvelous idea. Thank you so much Graham Wellington!