Addiction Hits Home on Southern Justice

All-In-The-FamilyLast night on Southern Justice “All in the Family,” Deputy Josh “Hoppy” Hopkins allows an up-close and personal look into his family’s own personal battles with prescription drugs. Growing up in an area that suffers from extreme economic and emotional depression with one of the highest suicide rates in the state, Deputy Hopkins rose above the same temptations that pulled his sister, Wendy, in a very different direction. Deputy Hopkins now struggles with how to hold his family together despite his sister’s drug addiction, making his “tough love” approach to the law more difficult than ever.

2085878_appalachian-lock-up_wpqcl4sp5hrctsdllz4ccbpndxncurxrbvj6lwuht2ya6mzmafma_400x225

Prescription drug abuse is a hidden crisis in the United States, becoming more common and more deadly each year. In 2011 alone, 55% of drug overdose deaths in the United States were directly related to pharmaceutical drugs–74% of which were opioids. While law enforcement is putting pressure on medical professionals to tighten up on prescribing narcotics, abusers have found a way to get around the barriers of the law. “Doctor Shopping” is just one of the loop holes in the system in which abusers ‘shop’ several doctors at a time to obtain multiple prescriptions of popular drugs like opioids, depressants and stimulants. While some states have made an effort to nip prescription drug abuse in the bud by implementing laws specifically targeting doctor shopping, others rely on “general” legislation to get the job done.

Catch Southern Justice “All in the Family” again on SATURDAY OCT 11 at 8P.

Comments

1. Heather VanDorn
    wilkesboro nc
    October 11, 2014, 10:53 pm

I know Josh Hopkins! We used to be boyfriend and girlfriend way back in the day! Hes a sweet guy

2. rick
    October 12, 2014, 1:54 am

How come none of the cops wear a seat belt or put one on a transit prisoner? Isn’t it the law?

3. Jill Eriksen
    Crossville, TN
    October 12, 2014, 8:26 pm

First I want to say I love this program southern Justice but I do have a problem when they show the police officers driving there patrol cars and NOT WESRING THERE SEAT BELTS WHEN IT IS THE LAW !!!!!!! I don’t think they realize how many people watch this show and see them not wearing seat belts and than think if there not WESRING thete seat belts than why should I is the attitude you get in response I just wanted to bring this to the attention if the program because law enforcement are people who are suppose to set good examples and not wearing a seat belt is NOT a good example of fowling the law thank you for your time

4. Jill Eriksen
    October 12, 2014, 8:27 pm

Oops Wearing seat belts !!!!!!!!!

5. lee
    Kansas city kansas
    October 19, 2014, 9:48 am

Hi
    I & my wife enjoy watching the show “southern justice “, but please do more to bleep out the bad language, several shows also bleep out bad words, PLEASE try to bleep out, We have watch several episodes were no one bleep over words, we would like to keep watching but if you can not do better we will stop watching & will work to get friends to stop watching, thank you.

6. elise
    October 19, 2014, 10:06 pm

why do they make the “background” music so loud I miss half the dialogue!?! So irritating

7. shoe
    columbus, ohio
    October 22, 2014, 9:40 pm

is it just me or what.does this show just prove how stupid they are down south.hell josh is so fat that he can’t even get in his car and you can hear him breathing hard after walking.then there is the blond from Sullivan county that looks like she is on meth herself.

8. Sheron Mead
    Wheelersburg, ohio
    December 5, 2014, 2:09 am

I love this show and especially josh “hoppy” Hopkins!
    He is so adorable and has compassion for addicts since his sister was locked up for being a drug addict. Yes he may be over weight but at least he did something admirable with his life! What a respectable man!

9. Trisha
    Arizona
    January 2, 2015, 3:47 pm

I love watching Southern Justice! I think Josh “hoppy” Hopkins is so adorable! I have a major crush on him.

10. NikS
    Tennessee
    February 1, 2015, 2:44 pm

Oh how I wish they’d never let camera crews take up roost in these tiny little towns and go out of their way to “hillbilly” this state. Hoppy doesn’t wear a seat belt because it won’t stretch around all that girth. What ever happened to passing physical fitness tests before getting hired on as a deputy? That’s unsafe on so many levels. Between the reality tv invasion of the South and Alaska, can’t you guys go film somewhere else? This is getting to be embarrassing. You have one bunch filming toothless morons hunting ginseng, inbred fools making fake moonshine, and, well…Hoppy&the gang fighting crime. I need a hot toddy just thinking about the massive amount of nonsense being made for TV these days.

11. Concerned Neighbor
    August 9, 2015, 11:29 am

We are wondering why we are not hearing much about the shooting that killed an Ashe County Christmas Tree Farmer. Here’s the news story – http://m.wxii12.com/news/christmas-tree-farmer-killed-in-deputyinvolved-shooting-in-ashe-county/34074440 Can anyone provide more details

12. Dan Hoskins
    Denver, CO
    August 19, 2015, 11:56 pm

the world needs more men like Josh Hopkins. Law enforcement needs more men and women that have the dedication and heart like Officer Hopkins. For those of you posting anything other than praise and appceation for Officer Hopkins I truly hope you never have the need for someone like him. Be thankful for good cops!!

13. bill anderson
    brookfield WI
    August 29, 2015, 11:15 am

As a Southerner, who has worked as a dispatcher in a small county sheriff’s office, I really admire Hoppy Hopkins’ ability to be a kind honorable man, who somehow manages to cling to his love of his fellow man. I know a number of good law officers in Wisconsin, but it is so easy to become cynical and negative, dealing with scumbags day and night. Anyway, God bless Hoppy.

14. Michelle Buckner
    May 7, 10:02 am

I just recently discovered this show & now I’m addicted to it!I love Josh,this man is just absolutely beautiful!

15. keresa beard
    pennington gap, va
    May 25, 2:59 pm

gosh, all these people who think they know everything criticizing the cops for not wearing seat belts. yes, it is the law, put there for our safety, but for them, it allows for quick removal from car. if you were drowning or on fire, would you want to wait for them to unbuckle or maybe the closure to jam and then they would not be able to jump out and help or chase a suspect. it’s called common sense people. just ask a police officer.

16. Everyone is a safety
    July 17, 1:52 am

Would like to see the guys wear seatbelts. Someone commented to ask a police officer about common sense of an officer not wearing their seatbelt. Well, ask and you shall receive. It is law, even for officers to wear their seatbelts. I would much rather get to people safely then to have to be delayed because I got ejected from my vehicle. Seatbelts are the one thing we as humans have complete control of when it comes to driving. Buckle up. It literally takes a blink of an eye to undo a belt. If I go to an urgent call I unbuckle as I pull up to the scene. Y’all be safe out there and be kind to one another.

17. Ed
    USA
    October 19, 1:42 pm

I watch all kinds of police shows, including Southern Justice, but I must say every time I see Hoppy I change the channel. It doesn’t matter how good a person or how good a police officer he is a bad example due to his weight.