Tonight on Going Deep With David Rees: How To Throw A Paper Airplane, learn how to build a record-breaking paper airplane with John Collins, The Paper Airplane Guy.

Here are a few insider tips to get you started on this episode’s four featured models, The Boomerang, The Tube, The Suzanne, and The Tumble Wing, from the man himself, John Collins.

1. Start with the right paper. Old photocopies work best. The heat stiffens the paper as does the micro fine layer of ink. 20lb or 24lb paper works great. Clean, crisp, no holes.
  2. Neatness counts. It’s an aircraft. Folding needs to be precise.
  3. Sharp creases, particularly the leading edge of the wings, are important.
  4. Always pick the plane up from the nose. Bending the tail can destroy your wing shape.
  5. Positive dihedral – the wings should angle upward from the body of the plane.
  6. Symmetry: Make one wing a mirror image of the other.
  7. Hold the plane where the most layers overlap. That’s close to the center of gravity.
  8. Start with an easy toss to see how the plane is flying.
  9. Treat every flight like a test flight. Watch what the plane does, and compensate.
  10. The best trick for adjusting: bend the tail of the plane the direction you want the nose to go—left to go left, right to right, up to climb, down to dive. Use very small bends.

Check out Paper Airplanes: The Musical below and don’t miss Going Deep With David Rees TONIGHT at 10P.

Comments

1. Hope Salas
    La Porte TX
    August 4, 9:25 pm

Stop saying God D**** this is a show for kids and families. I am very offended and ready to stop watching York channel

2. Paul Graham
    al
    August 4, 9:28 pm

I don’t appreciate your indiscriminate use of the word “Goddamn.” It is not appropriate nor needed in this type of show. Please use other language.
    Sincerely.
    Paul

3. Steven Ryba
    san Diego
    August 4, 9:30 pm

while I enjoy Nat Geo, I am appalled that I had to listen to Mr. Rees continue to say G– dammit several times on the show with out it being bleeped especially when my kids are watching . The producers should be ashamed of their insensitivity & careless editing. It served absolutely no purpose, did not add anything to the show but crude dialogue !!!!

4. Paul Grace
    Indianapolis, IN
    August 4, 9:32 pm

Paper airplane show was interesting and entertaining. I think it could have gotten along even better without the “God Damn its.”

5. Nicole Torres (Age 17)
    Kissimmee, Florida
    August 4, 9:37 pm

May I suggest David Rees do an episode on why Mentos explodes in Coca Cola.
    My family very much enjoyed the Paper Airplane episode. My mom is a fourth grade teacher and plans on doing a science experiment with the different styles of airplanes shown in the episode in her classroom!

6. Karen
    August 4, 9:40 pm

My 11 yr. old nephew & I were watching Brain Games tonight when the Going Deep episode started on How t Throw a Paper Airplane. He begged to stay up to watch it. Finding the beginning interesting and educational I relented. However, I was shocked to hear the words “crap ass” and “God Damn” (twice) come out of his mouth. I think the show is wonderful in it’s presentation to keep children engaged in an educational process. The use of inappropriate language is not only unnecessary but also offensive. It does nothing to add to the humor of the show and gives young minds the idea that since it’s OK on TV, it’s OK in life.

I’m disappointed in National Geographic. I remember reading wonderful things in the magazine as a child and never once did it contain offensive language.

7. Margaret Ann Abdalla
    August 5, 12:18 am

Fantastic—can’t WAIT to show this to my grandson!!!!
    He will be FASCINATED and motivated to work with this for very long periods of time!!!!

8. Penny O'Connell
    Tallahassee, FL
    August 5, 8:43 am

Dear David Reese and Nat Geo,

I love your show and I loved this episode in particular! When watching, all I could think was that I couldn’t wait to share this gem with my nephew.

May I make one request? Please eliminate curse words from your programing. They didn’t add anything to the episode, David wasn’t overly mad, there just wasn’t really any reason to use them. More importantly, I picked up specifically on two uses of taking God’s name in vain. I watch a lot of these “tree hugger” type of shows because tv overall is dumb & vulgur these days. You don’t have to stoop to that level. You actually are presenting something interesting with a very effective host.

I’m just requesting you eliminate the curse words.

Thanks for hearing me out,

Penny

9. disappointed viewer
    August 5, 9:25 am

Picture this…the whole family gathered around the TV to watch this great new show that instructs its viewers on the simple tasks of life…like making a paper airplane. Then the host says g**d***. Really…did he say what we think he said. Oh yes he did. This episode was unnecessarily laced with profanity…so disappointed. Our response…we turned the channel and David Rees lost a few fans.

10. John
    MO
    August 5, 1:06 pm

Let the man say goddamn it and crap ass its nothing who cares because its just a word that society has branded curel and evil when in fact its not.

11. Pete Luke
    Winter Park Fl.
    August 5, 1:37 pm

I just got back into models after a 45 yr. layoff. When my planes don`t fly right try Mus Is, Cuz Mus Ain`t don`t sound right.Cussing shows a lack of edyoumakation!

12. Angelo
    West Chester, Pa
    August 5, 6:48 pm

I have to tell you. I saw the “G” rating flash on the screen, then heard the words David used. Has this type of talk turned into a “G” rating?
    Is society so jaded we except this sort of thing? Some of these shows are really interesting and educational. I think
    We can do without the foul language.

13. Dave D
    Florida
    August 6, 11:41 am

First of all, saying god damn it is not taking god’s name in vain. Taking his name in vain is making promises or oaths with his reputation as proof that you will fulfill them and then not doing it.
    Second of all, where does it say it’s for children?
    Stop whining god damn it

14. Dakota
    August 6, 2:07 pm

I loved this episode and i didnt mind the “swears” here and there. If anything they made the show funnier. Just saying…

15. Jon
    August 6, 4:25 pm

This is an amazing show.

How odd for this discussion to be about language unsuitable for your children.

If you don’t like certain words, talk to your kid. Don’t assume everyone shares your view of what is right.

16. Hanna Toler [Moderator]
    August 6, 4:58 pm

Thank you all for sharing your concerns. We take our fans feedback very seriously, and will be reexamining to ensure this program is suitable for all audiences moving forward.

17. Toby
    August 6, 8:17 pm

Brilliant. Kids absolutely loved it. Seems like most of the reviewers here aren’t ready for the real world and science and should probably stick to veggie tales

18. Richard
    Mo
    August 7, 1:32 am

We’ll maybe you shouldn’t watch tv if your so concerned about curse words.. That’s ‘your’ thoughts and beliefs, not everybody else’s.. And stick to Disney channel with your kids.. On top of that natgeo is more almost all actual reality, or at least a lot of the series are.. If you don’t want your kids seeing real things that happen or real things people say be smart and don’t let them watch it, simple! Otherwise be a parent and teach your kids the Right ways (or your beliefs ) and don’t let them
    Act like or talk like people you don’t agree with.. Once again, simple! Worse things to complain about in life, change the channel.. Yea it’s that easy

19. Brian
    Sacramento
    August 7, 1:34 pm

Oh For F**** sake people turn the F****** channel if you don’t like it. Wake up and smell the GOD DAMN coffee, PS your religion is all a bunch of smoke and mirrors anyhow, a way to control the masses. Jesus Christ it’s a god damn fictional book you live by. That bible you pray to, and swear by is a book you would have better luck praying to an encyclopedia or a scientific magazine for they hold more truths, and are based on COLD HARD FACTS, not make believe and “faith”. morons

20. Paul
    Indianapolis, IN
    August 7, 11:24 pm

I think the message to Nat Geo is that several members of their audience would have watched something else had they known they were going to be offended. If a TV show receives a “G” Rating, essentially, it is the Disney Channel.

BTW, in the “real world” people do not make offensive statements, with impunity.

21. Nick Eckhardt
    Palatka Fl
    August 9, 10:19 pm

What’s with the sudden bad language. I do not thing that a show like this has been should have let such language go out over the air.
    Very offensive.

22. THE TRUTH
    NY
    August 11, 6:28 pm

Change the f***in’ channel if you don’t like it.

23. s
    August 11, 9:59 pm

People get off your high horses not every one has to bend to your life style. Its just a word. Its only made bad by you and those around you. Not saying your children should say it because its your HOUSE your rules. You get mad at a word dont watch the show heck just turn the tv off if you get mad at little things. Its a great show its a great actor enjoy it before you ruin it for all of us and its turned off. Sheesh!

24. Roxy
    August 12, 2:23 am

Eh-hem Eh-hem I SAID EH-HEM!!!

It is rated PG-13 for LANGUAGE

Now you can all stop whining & admit you were wrong :(

Jesus Christ people learn to read or get some glasses

P.S I loved the show. Perfect as it is. There’s no need for changes.

25. Don
    August 13, 8:40 am

For those who say it is just a word, I would suggest if you are white you never venture into a black area of an American city and say just the word n****r.
    Much to your dismay, just words have definite meanings and some of those words are highly offensive. Why not learn the meanings of those words and especially their meanings to those of us from a different culture than you.

26. Joshua Mumford
    August 16, 2:41 pm

really this is about paper airplanes and this guy is swearing i mean WHATS THE POINT do you have to swear when your folding?! Or something its not even funny when i heard him say al that it was dead silent, NOT FUNNY on a kids show geeeez.

27. Brody Mosier
    Keller, TX
    August 18, 11:11 am

SHUT THE HELL UP ABOUT THE WHOLE “Indiscriminate use of the word God Damn” READ THE RATING, PG-13 AND TV-PG. GET OVER IT

28. Brody Mosier
    Keller, TX
    August 18, 11:12 am

IT IS FOR TEENAGERS

29. Roxie
    rr texas
    August 18, 3:06 pm

As a response to Brian from Sacramento, I don’t know what preference you have, for your views on the faith I believe in, but I would like to express my opinion. I don’t believe in forcing my faith onto others, nor ‘controlling the masses’. Jesus actually existed. He has been recorded in other things that are not the bible. Whether you believe in what he did or not is your opinion. Much of science is based off guessing and opinion. Not actual cold hard facts. Maybe you should check into that a bit more before you start talking about smoke and mirrors. Plus, unlike some…Er…strict christians, I do not think every thing in the bible is to be taken exactly as written. It is full of metaphors and twist and turns.

30. Ted
    washington state
    August 18, 6:13 pm

Very disappointed that your not showing how to fold paper airplanes (boomarang)

31. Testicles
    August 23, 3:27 pm

Keep saying god damn… It’s awesome to hear real shit on tv

32. Paper Airplane Enthusiast
    Georgia
    September 2, 5:15 pm

Growing up in the public school system, I am pretty sure your kids have heard worst things… I’m just saying