Q&A With Life Below Zero’s Sue Aikens

Last week, Life Below Zero’s Sue Aikens took to Reddit for her very first AMA (Ask Me Anything). Here are some highlights from the Q&A.

How often do you use technology (Internet, TV, etc)? Did you always live like this? Do you generally feel happy and fulfilled?

I use technology everyday. There are no phone services here or cell signals, so having a satellite system enables me to run the Kavik Camp and communicate.

What made you choose the lifestyle? Do you enjoy the outdoors and being isolated or did you simply just choose to live this way?

Even as a child when asked, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” My answer was always lighthouse keeper. I have always craved extreme isolation to be happiest.

How can you afford to do what you do?

I am only allowed to live here by having a successful business. I run Kavik as a twisted B&B from June through September the revenue is just enough to sustain the business and supply me with winter heat. It is enough.

What happens with your concept of time when you’re alone? Do you see it as just months or seasons or are you like ‘oh it’s Tuesday, got to go hunting.’

When I have my alone time, I generally don’t give a fig about time or dates. I know when the sun starts to set again in August I am about a month away from being alone… then when it rises again in March I know I only have a few months till I need to pay attention to what day it is. The rest is a clean slate for me to paint.

Where does your family live now (just in general, not wanting to get all in your business!)? You’ve mentioned grandchildren, do you get to see them often? Was there a Mr. Sue? 🙂

My children have chosen to live a more populated life in the lower world. I get to see them every few years. They have been here at Kavik and I try to bring the grandkids up in summer now that they are older. I have had 3 Mr. Sue’s. Two passed away… one left me for an 18-19yr old when I was out with my grandsons cancer issues. I am happy alone now.

Do you have a backup plan in case you are injured/sick and there isn’t any way for a plane to come save you (because of bad weather, etc)?

Captain Bawb checks in with me every few weeks via Skype, and if he cant reach me after a few weeks he checks by plane. My kids and I also have code on FB and other platforms. “10 fingers 10 toes” means I am OK… less than that means trouble.

Despite all the dangers and the near-death experience with a bear, why do you continue to live in almost complete isolation? What compels you?

It is because of the dangers I stay. I am challenge-driven, so this offers me continual challenges.

Why did you choose Alaska to be your isolated home? Why not any other place, where it isn’t so cold?

Well my mom brought me to Alaska when I was very young. Alaska can get into your blood and call to you. It did with me. I have lived many places, but this is home.

There are little foxes (or something similar) in a lot of your shots on the show. Do they live with you?

Foxies!! They live in the wild but a few years ago decided I was not a threat and chose to share themselves with me. They visit, play and follow me, but are wild and hunt for their food etc. I feel so honored by them choosing to share life with me.

Do you have the opportunity to interact with the other folks on the show?

We chat on social platforms or call, yes. I was supposed to meet with Kate in Fairbanks last week, but I had blizzards on the North Slope that prevented my ability to fly down. I learn new things by watching the others, and it is fun to see some, like Agnes, doing things I do as well!

I just wanted to say that I’ve always found your bits of LBZ to be the most interesting. I have a lot of respect for you for really choosing to live your life the way you want to. What has been your favorite memory of living in Kavik? I’d imagine you’d see a lot of beautiful things that most people will never get to experience!

A favorite memory would be last year when a baby caribou that got left behind… decided my grandson was her new “mama” he got to experience a wild animal that he cared for and helped but then let go with the next herd. It touched him in a way that words couldn’t. Myself as well.

Hi Sue, I just want to say you are an absolute inspiration to all people, but especially woman throughout the world. I note your previous comments about having to learn your skills early in life, do you yourself realise quite the inspiration that you are?

I dont see myself as inspiration, but I do try to be the best “me” I can be every day. I have to live with myself for the rest of my life so I better be someone who I can be proud of. Thank you!!

Want more? Head over to Reddit for the full transcript of the entire session. And don’t miss new episodes of Life Below Zero, Thursdays at 9P.

Comments

1. Dale Trent
    South Boston Va
    June 11, 2014, 8:08 pm

Sue, First of all I love the show and you as well. What in your life do you feel lead you to want to live in solitude
    for that many months?

2. jeff
    Columbus Ohio
    June 11, 2014, 8:28 pm

Do you ever get scared or lonely or both

3. donna lyle
    mcminnville,tn
    June 11, 2014, 11:03 pm

Sue Yr a great inspiration to woman for being strong & tough Just don’t know how u stand the weather

4. Debi Fox
    Arizona
    June 11, 2014, 11:47 pm

Sue love your show. Do you ever have guests or family that came and visit? I would love to visit you

5. Danielwhoric
    Bennet, CO
    June 12, 2014, 1:47 am

How many bears do u have to deal with each summer. And have u had one come into ur camp last summer?

6. janice
    Florida
    June 12, 2014, 6:17 am

Enjoy watching you and all the other folks on Below Zero. ‘It’s an adventure I might want to take in my next life time. I pretty much live in solitude as I find it’s more bearable then living in a world with so much unkindness and lack of caring,
    Stay safe Sue……..

7. Carol Thompson
    June 12, 2014, 6:28 am

Just wanted to say “hey Sue”.. You are my favorite and how much you inspire me. And I’m sure so many women…. You are awesome and I love your humor….I am so glad you are able and blessed to live the life that makes you happy! God bless…and be safe woman!

8. Susan Martin
    Everett, WA
    June 13, 2014, 12:11 pm

Sue you are my most favorite person on this amazing show. I catch myself fast forwarding through some of the more gruesome part (the trapping and killing of fur bearing animals just for their fur gets to me but I understand)…your sense of humor is as sardonic and dry as mine is and i know you love being alone but I think we would get along together and have a great time. No..I’m not gay…I just don’t like most women and they don’t like me but you are the kind of chick I could hang with and have a great time, I was raised with brothers who loved hunting and fishing and I grew up being quite good at shooting. I hope one day our paths do cross and if not…keep up the good work…you are inspiring and awesome.

9. CECELIA WASHINGTON
    Dallas, Tx
    June 19, 2014, 8:26 pm

Hi Sue, I hope and pray that you are safe and will continue to be safe. I love you and the show, you are a strong individual. I am dreaming/wishing through you that I will live like you one day solitude is everything. If you are a survivor you can survivor through anything, I am that as well. Keep the faith my sister and keep pushing, you are loved. Continue to thank God for
    everything that he provides you even the little foxies.

Stay strong,

Cecelia

10. Robert A. Zenk
    glenshaw, pa.
    June 28, 2014, 1:42 am

I was wondering not to question your knowledge about the area you are in ,,,but I was wondering why you don’t use the wind I know the batteries are expensive but again solar why I don’t ever want to question your knowledge of the terrain in which you live,,,, Robert A. Zenk thank you….

11. Robert A. Zenk
    Glenshaw, pa.
    June 28, 2014, 1:55 am

I know this might be out of date because of the seasons and your filming I was wondering ,,, I want to take my dad at 76 to a place to fish ‘,,,would this your camp be that place ???

12. David hall
    Albuquerque NM
    July 1, 2014, 10:40 pm

Sue I do admire you that’s a fact, now something really got my curiosity going you were working really really hard to get to your food supply before winter or a big storm came. You were using you bobcat or for some a small front end loader to clear snow
    that had accumulated in front and the sides of that building. Once you got inside you were pointing out all the different meat
    in your freezer. Wait a minute! Meat in your freezers? Did I hear
    that correctly or are my ears playing games freezers right?
    Why in the world do you have freezers when you live in one
    one of the Coldest places on earth? Lol I can see it to store it
    But who in their right mind sent freezers all the way there? Sue I know it’s isolated there but this? Lol thanks Sue you take it easy!

13. Phyllis Stewart
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    July 4, 2014, 6:46 pm

As a military wife, we lived all over the U.S. My favorite was in NE Nebraska where we lived on a farm. Our favorite Thanksgiving (my 2 kids were in Middle School) was when we grew or raised everything for the dinner, except for flour, sugar and spices. I would love to live your life! It turned out my husband was no adventurer, but I did try to get him to go up to AK in the 70s. I am an old widder woman now in rather hideous health, but I identify with you very much and would love to live “next door” from you. I figure 100 miles would be just right!

14. Paul
    USA
    July 5, 2014, 12:41 am

With all the bears around, I would have the freezer stocked with tons of bear meat and be snuggled in bear skins each winter night. Are you allowed to shoot them, or do you have to get a tag and is it pretty difficult (like they would ever know)? Also, have you considered sinking some tall posts and running some razor wire around that building you call home (to keep the bears away and give you a little piece of mind when you sleep)?

15. Scott Ghiloni
    losfresnos extreeme south texas
    July 10, 2014, 3:11 pm

Sue, please use a piece of sheet plastic with rope as a handle to move stuff so you don’t keep hurting your back. Wife’s a physical therapist and said you obviously have a weak spot and need to be careful. We love to watch you and my daughter Caroline is 10 and loves the solatude you enjoy. Pleez be safe!!!!!

16. […] Below Zero – Sue AitkensThe Legend of Mick Dodge – […]

17. Mike jessie
    Murfreesboro, TNT
    September 3, 2014, 5:17 pm

Sue, I love the show and envie you and your life. I am handicapped and could never do what you do but I so admire you keep on going. At one time I might could have lived the life you have but took the safe way, with a wife and a family.i am glad there are people like you, a true American. Keep on going as long as you can. Setting at home sucks. Love your life.

18. Dave Cowan ( cell# 4165096555)
    Toronto, Ontario
    September 6, 2014, 6:27 pm

All kidding aside I’m so enspired and memorized as there is no kidding when it comes to what you do!

I’very only dreamed of attempting to experience it!

That said Sue with the most respect I would love if you would e-mail me so I could ask few questions about possibilities etc!

This being an open forum I’d rather chat private so to speak please don’t take wrongway, !

I am looking to have to plan my leave from work for next year crazy we have to pick in November for following year with the PA in work for!

My email is davecowan2003@yahoo.ca

Hope hear if you still check this forum or if the producers , do? I we’d really like too visit Kavik!

Maybe Imore being selfish but really would like too might help? Blah blah don’t want to bore ya so hope hear from ya!
    I’m being very honest and genuine!

Keep safe!

Alol I know is what I’ve watched YOUR ARE AN INSPIRATION!

Dave

Toronto, canada

19. robert r. patelli
    September 12, 2014, 7:13 am

sue my hats off to you,however i cant help noticing you miss a lot of game.my advice for what its worth,steady your rifle or pistol and squeeze the trigger, ammo to costly and game is scarce

20. joe ohearn
    Sacramento ca
    September 14, 2014, 8:31 am

Sue great show thank you for sharing parts of your life , i am a huge fan. There is a band called (first aid kit) song called silver lining if you ever get a chance to hear it i think you are spot on with that song.

21. Ali cat
    Leigh on Sea
    September 29, 2014, 2:39 pm

Sue Rocks

22. Dean Andrew Peters
    Canada
    October 3, 2014, 2:36 pm

moving out of my big house. With me and my dog. Letting go of my fish. Would like to move your way. You and i would get along really good.. My lake is getting to cold to swim in.

23. Dean Andrew Peters
    October 3, 2014, 2:40 pm

Bringing in all my plants starting to freeze

24. Phyllis E. Joy
    Phoenix, Oregon
    October 22, 2014, 4:26 pm

I have loved your show, LBZ in the past but have not seen it recently, are you still filming? I plan to write you a snail/mail soon but I’ve been totally fascinated with what I’ve seen. I am 76 but if I got a 2nd chance, I’d want to do something like you are doing. God Bless You and be safe!! Sure hope there’s more to come!! 🙂

25. Cindy Deline
    Stockdale. Ontario Canada
    October 24, 2014, 10:58 am

You are quite a women after my own heart, you inspire me to keep going, no one will do your shit for u unless u do it yourself,right, I sooo enjoy the show, I put it on p,v,r so I can see you everyday, keep safe,

26. Vicki
    Charleston,Sc
    November 2, 2014, 1:56 pm

Sue,I too fast forward the show just to see you.I was in Vegas it was 99 all week but not humid.I was telling my boyfriend Sue and I would have a blast if she was here.You ever want a warmer vacation email me.Everyone loves you!!

27. Elaine Braga
    Massachusetts
    November 2, 2014, 4:54 pm

Sue, love u on the show. I had to recuperate from major surgery in July and you and your show got me through it. You are an inspiration to all. I truly respect your strength and attitude. I do not delegate, I do what I have to do and I will do it even better after watching your trials and tribulations. Luck always

28. Charlotte
    Alabama
    November 4, 2014, 5:59 pm

Sue u rock! I enjoy watching and love ur stories. A true hero u r to survive the bear and continue to embrace the lifestyle. Hope your business is great this year!

29. Zoe
    Glasgow Scotland
    November 9, 2014, 5:24 pm

Sue, you are amazing! I have just watched the 1st two episodes in awe of you. I think your fab and really funny. I’m just about to watch some more. Team sue.x

30. leah mahaffey
    houston
    November 19, 2014, 12:15 am

Your a awesome lady! I love your drive. My husband and I have become preppers. We started breeding giant flemish rabbits. They grow to 14 lbs very easy to keep. We will give you a breeding pair but you will have to arrange for shipping. I can take them to airport.
    Make things easier on you.

31. Brian Vetta
    Milwaukee wi
    November 27, 2014, 3:50 pm

Sue hello nice to meet you .first I envy your deep attraction for isolation . I myself am a person that craves too be alone for months I have been watching buying alaska .life below zero and alaska the last frontier . I have come too a point in my life that I can’t stand the city life and I am looking forward too selling my house and packing up and getting away too the great white north. It has been enjoyable watching your experiences and all the stars of the alaska shows I have spent time in our north woods but nothing like alaska but a few more years and I hope too sell my house and retire and try to survive the beauty of alaska . Thank you for your time keep warm lol

32. Pammie
    November 30, 2014, 7:49 pm

Never change, Sue

33. Angela Interrante
    nyc
    December 2, 2014, 6:43 pm

Love and admire your zest for life. Enjoy watching all your adventures. Keep being your authentic self!

34. Jeanne
    Wauwatosa , WI
    December 17, 2014, 3:31 am

I always wanted to see Alaska.. It sounds so exciting. I want want to meet Republican vice preiidential candidate..

35. kenny
    December 17, 2014, 1:28 pm

I see alot of effort being spent to convince us that what you see is what you get….I’m not sure I’d put any money on that….I’m just saying ….

36. Jay Finke
    December 18, 2014, 11:13 pm

Sue; as you might be aware of synthetic oils are your best friend in the climate you deal with, also moss can be used as a filter for fresh air intake. may I suggest a tool for you?. a capacitor tester and possibly I would highly recommend a desoldering station, as most newer circuit boards on gen sets are surface mount X2 and very difficult to repair, this tool allows you to repair circuit boards efficiently and effectively ! as some control boards can cost thousands of dollars and can be fixed with a 10 cent part.
    Now I don’t claim to know it all, but do I all right at fixing most all things that touch my bench at my shop in longwood Fl, please feel free to send pictures of issues, and I will do what I can to help, as I’m always a suker for a cute girl . long ashes.. jay

37. Jay Finke
    December 19, 2014, 12:21 am

The motors fan; is to me the wrong direction, it should be pulling, AKA pulling your hair into the radiator. this makes it easier to know when service is needed. FYI there are water Pumps and fans for different applications. in your case it should pull your hair in to the radiator … in this situation it would. let you know easy, to do a visual check, that the radiator had sufficient air flow .(good to know). Fans and water pumps can be directional.so,,, Sue look at the fan blades, you can see if its turning right direction do to the sweep or the incidence of the fan blade.. ”most cases” BUT IN THIS CASE this unit has the WRONG FAN and will lead to its early demise ! ..cheers Jay

38. Lorenzo Cruz
    December 26, 2014, 11:06 am

This woman talks a big game. She is a little to dramatic and . She should really think about leaving her current residence because every bear in alaska is out to get her. She makes it sound like everytime she steps outside fifty grizzly’s are waiting to eat her.

39. Rocket Man
    Manitoba Canada
    December 28, 2014, 12:21 pm

I love life below zero. I’d love to live the life and get off the grid. All the people in the show have uniquely different lifestyles . It makes you appreciate what you have. Most favorite is Sue and her personality . Thanks for sharing your lives.

40. james collins
    Laurel, Maryland
    December 29, 2014, 7:15 am

Thanks Sue For Show us your home and lifestyle. I love that you choose how you want to live and choose to live it. Take care!

41. Jim grove
    Cleves ohio
    January 8, 2015, 6:04 pm

Why don’t you put coolant in nod well before you use it next time?

42. Gail Rogers
    Tennessee
    January 9, 2015, 5:28 pm

Having lived in Alaska where my husband worked for US Fish & Wildlife I find this show to be insulting to every Alaskan resident. This woman is a joke, there is no reality to how she portrays daily living. When she says that wolves send out scouts, her knowledge of wildlife is poorly lacking. Wolves travel in packs, the alpha male decides what game they are going to hunt, this is just one of the many ridiculoustudents st a time to she makes. National geographic you have been tricked good.

43. vickie yates
    Southwest Virginia
    January 16, 2015, 11:16 am

I must say I love the show, but you are my hero and if you ever leave the show, well so will I. You are LIFE BELOW ZERO! !

44. Charles Smith
    January 28, 2015, 5:10 am

Sue hi I would love to come to kavik to help you I can do anything I know how to uses heavy equipment and I can build anything and Im a very good hunter and I can do election work and I love to work all the time I’m 28 and want to do something deferent would love to come there to help you all the time if you would like me to call me 1304 359 0243

45. Sherry underwood
    Deville la
    February 12, 2015, 12:28 pm

Don’t like this part of the show it seems like it’s about you and not Alaska love everyone else and I don’t like your bad mouth you have its not very nice
    Sorry don’t like to hurt anyone’s feeling

46. Beth
    Calif.
    February 12, 2015, 6:13 pm

Can I find out the cost to stay at your camp over the summer?

47. Jane Morrison
    South Carolina
    March 14, 2015, 6:54 pm

I love the show you are my favoriate. You truly are an inspiration to everyone ,I don’t know how you do a lot of people would like to send you care packages or gifts .is the possible ??

48. Anita Dievert
    Kingsport TN
    March 21, 2015, 2:31 pm

Sue first let me say that I admire you for all you can do. I watch the show and see how very hard work is what it takes to live like you do. I must admit that I could never do all it takes. I hope you succeed in everything and stay safe.

49. Patricia Vandervelde
    la crosse wisc. USA
    March 26, 2015, 11:11 pm

Sue
    I love your show. Watch it whenever I can!!!!
    I recently retired and am wanting to start checking off my
    Bucket list of all things I have wanted to do in my life.
    Not to be on TV but would it be possible for me to fly to
    To you and learn all things living in wilderness from you?
    I Admire you Sue and Thank You for the possibility

50. Richard
    Texas
    April 2, 2015, 8:21 pm

Sue would you like to take on a friend or husband to live the rest of your life with

51. Teresa
    Oregon
    April 9, 2015, 8:26 pm

Hi Sue,

Just wondering if you would like to have a partner or love help/share your life style. I would love to learn from you and help you live in Alaska. I love your sense of humor!

52. brian
    Missouri
    May 4, 2015, 8:18 pm

What brand of fuel additive do you use in your bobcat at -40 to keep it from gelling up?

53. Hallie McArton
    May 7, 2015, 4:17 pm

Sue, you are the best! The rest of the people on Life Below Zero are boring and disgusting. Andy and Kate are also great to watch. But the hailstones and that other animal killer should just be gone. Thank you for sharing your fascinating life with the viewers. You are the one with wavos!! And I love your sense of humor..and comments!

54. pat labbe
    cadillac,mi
    May 9, 2015, 9:52 am

Love this show. would’t miss it.

55. jerry donaldson
    lower48 lexington sc
    May 16, 2015, 6:17 am

without any doubt you are the ONE,meeting life on your terms your head alwayse on a swivel thriving in the most inhospitable place on the Planet ive tipped my hat to you,theres no way I could do what you do take care

Jerry

56. Scott Bowlinger
    Henderson, NV
    June 12, 2015, 11:19 am

Sue….love the show (my favorite) and am enthralled with every character included in the cast. I was wondering if the cast members are able to spend the money they make from performing on the show or if all of you have signed an agreement that you will subsist as usual until the conclusion of the series? Thanks.

57. Mary Wright
    Las Vegas, NV
    June 21, 2015, 11:30 pm

I have recently started watching LBZ, and have grown to love the characters, but especially Sue. I had started watching it, and a couple of other Alaska/living on your own shows. I *love* Alaska State Troopers, but found I didn’t like Mike Dodge (whom I know doesn’t live in Alaska), and a couple of other living on your own shows (can’t remember their names, but like homesteading/etc), one about gun shop in Alaska, and a couple of others on …I think on TLC or Lifetime. After watching The Last Alaskans on Animal Planet, I found I really liked it, and started to watch that show, Dead End Express, and also caught up on the last season (season 5) on On Demand (and yes, I plan on watching the other episodes). I can’t repeat it enough…I really like Sue, and the…darnit, can’t remember their names, the mother/father and children, the somethingHills.

I live almost the exact opposite of Sue. Today, the temp was supposed to get up to about 111degrees. I live on a major street here, with my backyard right on a major bus route, and about a mile from a highway. I live about an eighth of a mile from grocery stores/convenience stores/fast food/drug stores/cell phone stores. I live across the street from some medical offices (however, I think they are pediatric/optrician) and an eighth of a mile from an urgent care-type doctor’s office, and about 20 miles from the VA hospital (where I get my care). However, I am similar to her in one aspect – I tend to spend a lot of time “alone”. I have my 4 cats, and spend some time with my boyfriend (due to a complication in our relationship, I won’t go into details, but I now spend time in another bedroom with my cats, and don’t spend a lot of time with my boyfriend, due to his work type and work schedule. But we do love each other a lot! He’s amazing!)

I grew up with my father in the Marine Corps and Army. He’s a gunsmith, and a hunter. I have a lot of good memories, in 11th and 12th grade, helping my father work on guns, shooting at a range, and going hunting with him (not that I ever caught anything). Because of him, I “caught” the pride of being a Marine, and when I graduated, I joined the Marine Corps. Sadly, I did not continue the “tradition” of keeping guns, handling/fixing guns, or hunting. But the last year or so, I have really caught the bug of wanting to go hunting again, and lately, watching The Last Americans, and LBZ, I have kindof tossed the idea around, of going out to one of the people featured on the shows, to live for a few weeks, and hunt/etc. Sadly, I am disabled, and have trouble even walking the eighth of a mile to the stores. The cost of going, even, is prohibitive, such as clothing/guns/transportation/food/satellite phone (I would never go to an isolated place without the protection of communication), and mail service, if I were gone long enough, to get my medication.

I know I couldn’t just “hop” into things going out to one of those places. I would have to have someone who would have patience with me. I couldn’t walk fast, and would have to have one of those cane-seats, that I could sit and rest every 10-15 minute or so. I would love to hunt again, but could not just walk/bend over/kneel/lay prone/hop up again/move/repeat…I would have to find an area that I could lay and wait, which I know is not ideal, because most do not come by you you have to go to them.

I don’t agree with a few of the comments about the “meanness” of some of the people on the show. Their opinion was basically stating about the meanness of their hunting. I don’t think so, because they are not particularly hunting for sport, but are hunting for sustenance. Up there, it is usually about 3-4x the cost of the lower 48 for food…and out there where they live, the cost of shipping the food to their location would add even more expense. Sue really could not raise chickens or cows, because of bears/foxes and other predators (and also, what’s the difference between moose/caribou/bear, and chickens/cows). And most of the food raised in the lower 48 is in bad conditions, and/or killed in bad conditions. Most of the time, in hunting and trapping, it is a quick kill, and most of the animal does not go to waste (meat is usually used down to the bone, and even the bone is used for its marrow…fur is used or sold or made into products for the house or sold…”guts” are usually saved and used for trapping bait, or is left or put out for animals to eat…fish are used to feed the dogs or humans…in other words, quick kill and little to no waste. And usually animals that “civilized” Americans would not think to eat, are part of the Alaskan diet, and some “white” Americans that have gone to live in the Alaskan wilderness eat now, and also parts that are not normally eaten, are found to be delicious.

Anyway…the idea was that I would *love* to go try for a couple of weeks to a couple of months, to see if I could adapt to it (as long as I had communication possibilities, and internet/satellite capabilities), “friends” (does not have to be 20 feet away, as here in Vegas, I really only have 2 friends, a few acquaintances, and the rest are either on FB or Second Life)…And I think I would like to go starting at the end of summer, and going into winter, so that I could experience the good qualities of both. Sadly, in Sue’s case, as well as the others, I doubt I would be of much help, other than things I think I could do mechanized, such as using the machine to push the snow off the runway, after being taught how. I could probably do some light shoveling (like 5-10 minutes), and do indoor chores, such as preparing machines to be used by heating them up, preparing food to be smoked, cooking food (after being taught), cleaning, etc).

Anyway…I wanted to say thank you to Sue, and the rest of LBZ, The Last Alaskans, Dead End Express, and even the others that I found that I personally didn’t like, such as Mick Dodge, for sharing your lives, and being inspirational…for at least one thing is giving people fantasies, and possibly even the idea of moving out.

58. Mary Wright
    Las Vegas, NV
    June 21, 2015, 11:32 pm

I forgot to mention, I believe Sue should write a book, with her quotes (and other ones that she can think of), sort of a “chicken soup for the soul” or other things…the ones that she says before and after her segments on the show…they are amazing, and make people think!

59. Daryl and Pegi
    Salem Oregon
    June 24, 2015, 12:23 pm

Wow! Just found LBZ, and was blown away by your segment.
    I am retired, and moving to Oregon was a big deal because of the cooler weather. I cannot believe what you enjoy living in. My hat comes off to you Sue. My wife and I are nascent fans of yours! Can’t wait to see move.

60. Art
    Kamuela, Hi
    June 28, 2015, 10:38 pm

I enjoy you and you and the Respect you have for the land and animals.
    Mahalo

61. Fritz Koch
    Kent WA
    October 31, 2015, 11:14 am

What was your quote on “Change” in the “Out of control” episode? You have a lot of great quotes. Thank you, Fritz Koch

62. Jill Rose
    December 4, 2015, 12:36 am

Are you related to a Joni Kaufmann who owns Cape Horn Restaurant in PA? She was on Restaurant Impossible and she could be your twin sister and sounds just like you too! Love Life Below Zero!

63. julie britchford
    UK
    February 11, 9:04 am

I’m in awe of you Sue, don’t know how you cope in those conditions all alone, love the program, well done you. Email me.

Ju x

64. Anita Rothwell
    United Kingdom
    February 28, 4:23 pm

Hi Sue
    I’ve been watching LBZ on Netflix, 3 times through!
    I’m 48, married, grown kids. We have a small holding with a few sheep, pigs, chickens, a couple of horses and 9 English cocker spaniels.
    I’ve always said I would love to live in the outer hebredies (off the coast of Scotland) but they don’t have much snow!! If you run a b&b, you could “employ” help which would help me get to alaska. You have inspired me in ways you are too humble to understand.
    I take offense at the negative people here. Did their mothers never teach them that if they can’t be nice-day nothing!!
    I still have an adventure inside of me and will be writing to you snail mail to arrange a visit to help your fuel costs
    Take care and don’t give up…..you’ll go stir crazy!! Xx

65. bev
    england
    March 14, 5:15 pm

love the program sues my fav would love to have a chat via emails with you sue i love your personality

66. Earl
    Oklahoma
    May 12, 2:29 pm

You might want to have someone show you how to use the “surprised break” trigger pull. I see that you have your finger about 1/2″ from the trigger and the slap it to fire the firearm. This method will all but guarantee that you will miss your target.Believe me, you will hit what you are aiming for if you master the surprise break.

67. gordon bailey
    Toronto, Canada
    June 23, 8:32 pm

I get tired of Sue’s chronic fear factor and BOOGEY BEAR around every corner! The single guy is a much better inspiration and he sees the glass half full. No man could tolerate the chronic negative. The family with all the daughters are great as well and a real inspiration for those wishing to see Alaska. Sue you just scare the tourists away!

68. Errol Stevens
    Sevierville, TN
    July 2, 9:31 am

Two years ago while flipping channels, came across Life Below Zero. Completely fascinated. Enjoy your segments best of all. Retired military, spent time in Adak which was an eye opener. Retired FAA as Chief Guidance Systems Engineer. Fascinated by the remotness of your life. Good luck and stay safe. Look forward to all your episodes.