Sue’s Arctic Wisdom: To Catch A Predator

For Sue Aikens, surviving in the Arctic means planning ahead. “If you have one foot in yesterday, one foot in tomorrow, you’re not living in today,” she says. “But part of my footstep has to be in tomorrow so I can survive today.”

On this week’s all-new Life Below Zero, Sue makes a big move on her Kavik camp, switching quarters from a cramped space in the dining hall to a new, larger building. But her upgraded home comes at a price. Her new building may be larger, but its location near the edge of camp puts her at a greater risk for attack by incoming predators. Sue’s new space requires an even larger dedication to protecting her turf.

suespeaks

The predators roaming Sue’s Kavik camp are mostly nocturnal, so if an attack comes in the middle of the night, Sue needs weapons handy by her bedside. Her first preparation in her new quarters: choosing which guns can protect her at a moment’s notice. For speed, Sue opts for point and click weapons, like her trusty .44 pistol.

suepistol

For more heavy-duty targets – mainly bears – Sue opts for an AR-10. After years of passively defending her camp from the Arctic’s most dangerous predators, she’s stepping up her preparations to aggressively take down bears if she sees them. After a near-death encounter with a bear several years before, Sue isn’t taking any more chances.

suebear

Even with an mini arsenal of guns at her disposal, Sue isn’t opposed to some hand-to-hand combat. She sure isn’t using her Louisville Slugger bat to play baseball!

suebat

Don’t miss an all-new Life Below Zero tomorrow at 9P.

Comments

1. David Lindquist
    Irvine, California
    May 14, 2014, 10:43 pm

I think Sue is one of the most interesting characters on TV and deserves her own show. There are probably thousands of viewers like myself who fast forward through the Hailstones and the Andy and Kate (dysfunctional family) to watch Erik, Glen and Sue. Sue should be on 50% of the time, the others 10%. Please, we want more of Sue.

2. JK Beauchamp
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    May 15, 2014, 6:31 pm

Sue enough doom and gloom, “I’m going to die, I’m going be eaten”. I was up at Kavik area in the 80’s when I was in the Army, it’s bad, but it’s all in the attitude. “If you think you are going to die, you will find a way to make it happen”, that’s a quote from all the old military survival manuals. Look at the other’s attitudes and you will see a more, ‘life attitude’. Also, putting bleach all over doors and ground does not last very long. chloride evaporates faster than water and will not defeat that bear that’s after you. Everyone used the bleach trick in the garbage cans to keep the bears out, but that was normal in Colorado where I used to live. But, HANG IN THERE SUE!!!! All will turn out ok. Good prep this year! And I hope your business stays successful. I will drop by next year (2015) for a weekend stay.

3. Kathy Lambeth
    Gallatin TN
    May 15, 2014, 8:35 pm

I won’t miss this show for anything. Sue is awesome.

4. BRIAN COPE
    08062 NJ
    May 15, 2014, 10:42 pm

SUEBEDOOO!WHAT A GAL YOU CAN DO IT! DAM I WILL TURN UP THE RADIEO AN GRAB ANOTHER BEER LIFE BELOW ZERO FOUR THOUSAND GALLONS OF FUEL ,F–K THAT CHIT! I WILL DEAL WITH NJ WEATHER THANK YOU.GOOD LUCK TO YA SUEBEDOO ,DON”T BE A TREADWELL! NO MORE HEAD TO THE BEARS!!YOU CRACK ME UP CHICK.GODS SPEED AN WHAT EVER ELSE THAT WILL KEEP YA.GOOD LUCK ,LOLVE TO YA.

5. Debbie Carr
    Osceola, Arkansas
    May 15, 2014, 11:02 pm

Sue is my favorite on the show. Next is Erik, and then the Hailstones. I like Kate, but I can do without Andy acting like a 3yr old.

6. JJ
    The South
    May 15, 2014, 11:27 pm

Our family loves watching this show. It’s awesome to be able to see some of the survival skills we try to teach our scouts being practiced. Tonight’s episode was especially awesome. We love the entire cays and love what each person brings to the table. Thanks for a great show and a fabulous episode!

7. Mel
    Beaumont Tx
    May 15, 2014, 11:38 pm

I’m mesmerized‼️ can’t
    get enough of Sue Aiken and
    her self reliance, Thank you .

8. Loretta Bowers
    Hixson,Tn
    May 18, 2014, 11:58 am

Love to watch the show. Sue makes
    me think of how Id be if i were li
    ving in Alaska.
    Which has been my dream all of my life, id love to go someday, an I might just stay.

9. Threna Brandner
    North Dakota
    May 20, 2014, 6:17 pm

Sue is my favorite! A self sufficient, gun efficient woman. I think being able to live like she does, without needing help but for a few things such as fuel, in Alaska impresses me greatly.