National Geographic Channel is incredibly saddened to learn of the loss of two Alaska State Troopers yesterday in the village of Tanana, Alaska. We have a long and proud association with the troopers, and consider them a member of our extended channel family. We send our deepest condolences to their families and the entire Alaska State Trooper force.

Memorial funds have been set up at Wells Fargo Bank for Sergeant Scott Johnson and Trooper Gabe Rich. All proceeds from these accounts will go directly to the families of the fallen. For more information, visit the dps.alaska.gov announcement.

Comments

1. Craig Bowen
    coolville ohio
    May 2, 4:37 pm

Praying for the families of the fallen Troopers that go in knowing there is no backup coming and still do their jobs. Condolences and prayers go out to the families and God Bless the Troopers on their watch and at their post

2. Tor Christiansen
    Atalissa, Iowa
    May 2, 5:12 pm

My wife and I watch the show religiously . It feels like we’ve lost two members of our family. Love and prayers to the family’s .

3. Penni
    Alabama
    May 2, 6:49 pm

My heart is broken for the two fallen heroes. I so highly respect the Alaska State Troopers because of their service and determination and bravery. I pray for their families and Trooper family. We have lost 2 of the best.

4. Larissa
    May 2, 9:29 pm

I love this show, and have complete respect for the troopers featured on it. However, this evening I turned it on, to see that the episode featured Gabe Rich, responding to a domestic situation. I felt so uncomfortable watching, I had to turn it off. Out of respect to the fallen troopers’ families, this should not have aired tonight.

5. Diane Roark
    May 2, 9:31 pm

Although it’s a given that their jobs were dangerous ones, it is shocking to think these two vital, in the prime of their lives men, are gone. It seems impossible, although we know it’s true. My thoughts, prayers and condolences go out to their loved ones and colleagues. I do want to take a moment to disagree with Natgeo’s plan to not air the episodes that Sergeant Scott Johnson and Trooper Gabriel Rich appeared in. I think this is a disservice to them Those episodes should be shown in remembrance of them and it should be stated so at the beginning and end of each episode. We all know they performed their jobs valiantly, as do the other police officers across Alaska, but knowing these two men were killed in the line of duty has a tremendously powerful impact and that should be noted and stated. Showing those episodes as a tribute to all the first responders who work under the same conditions every day should not be squandered or lost, in my humble opinion. Bless all of them.

6. Steve Rennels
    Mt.Vernon Illinois
    May 2, 10:58 pm

Praying for the families, love watching the show sometimes we forget how much our men and women in law enforcement risk their lives. Horrible tragedy

7. Jerry Uhler
    Upland, CA
    May 3, 12:34 am

I spent over 27 years in local and federal law enforcement. ASP is law enforcement in the truest sense of the word. May God bless these heroes, their families, and their partners.

8. Joice M
    Texas
    May 3, 1:01 am

I pray to God to heal and protect these families during and after this saddened time of their lives.

9. Bruce Wallace
    South Carolina
    May 3, 3:18 am

I was in the Air Force there 40 years ago I loved it one of the most beautiful places on earth my Air Force boss his wife was a Trooper there, her last name was Johnson those men are one of a kind I spent 5 years there bought a home and land near big lake some of the best years of my life I use to ride along withe the WVa troopers every week I saw first hand what they see and do we just hat two shot the guy in uffs in the back seat arrested had a gun hidden between his legs Troopers were palbears for my mother and father I respect them with all my heart for putting all on the line their familys children never know when they leave if they will return my prayers and coldolences go for all the familys and the other family the other Troopers up there wish I could see the place one more time I have terminal cancer now but I loved Alaska it just grows on you with all the nature a beauty God bless the rest of you officers and God will watch over you thanks for your service Bruce

10. craig
    st. johns, Newfoundland
    May 3, 9:16 am

Many far flung communities in Newfoundland in the early 20th century made for a wild and potentially lawless frontier. Rangers helped to keep the peace. They were young and unmarried because the job was thought to be to dangerous for a family man. When they hopped off of a boat, what they had was what they brought with them. That was it. They were brave men who faced evil, drunkenness, mental illness, domestic violence, and natural dangers with no backup. These troopers face drugs, advanced weapons, criminals with more communication and mobility, more complex communities with greater demands. They are beyond heros to me. God bless them and their families.

11. GARY LILE
    LEXINGTON,MISSOURI
    May 3, 9:20 am

VERY SAD TO HEAR ABOUT THE TROOPERS.THEY WERE JUST TRYING TO DO THEIR JOB.

12. IDenise Duke
    Pinopolis, SC
    May 3, 9:29 am

Since I have been watching this show, I have been praying for these officers in Alaska and was very heartbroken to hear of the deaths of two of the officers I remember seeing in episodes. I send my prayers and condolences to the families and to the office of Alaska State Troopers as they mourn their losses. I will keep you in prayer for time to come and will continue to pray for the current officers who dare to protect this isolated state. Your jobs are well done and I thank Nat Geo for bringing us this show.

13. Paula Pasbrig
    May 3, 10:14 am

So sorry to have read this tragedy in the news. I watch this show. Troopers where always professional, dealing with inadmissible people and situations, not to mention wild animals. The filming and scenery beautiful. My prayers go out to the families of the troopers.

14. Trish Berrong
    Ocean Park, Washington
    May 3, 7:32 pm

This is one of my favorite shows and this tragedy emphasizes the danger and sacrifice that law enforcement officers face every day to keep us safe. I will keep your family, co-workers and friends in my thoughts and prayers.

15. Kay
    iowa
    May 4, 12:27 pm

I am praying for the families and those who know the Troopers. My heart breaks for them. God bless them and their fellow Troopers everywhere who keep us safe.

16. Don and Aileen Welton
    North Pole, Ak
    May 5, 12:22 am

We see Alaska Troopers everyday. In the towns and villages of Alaska. Doing their job. And they are some of the best people you will ever meet. Our hearts reach out to the families in this time of sadness.

17. Judith Morley
    May 6, 3:45 pm

I am so sorry to hear about the deaths of two troopers. I pray every day for our first responders, as they have such dangerous jobs.

I pray for strength and comfort for these families, their friends and all their fellow troopers. God Bless You, and thanks for all you do for us.

18. Karen Stogner
    Texas
    May 6, 6:53 pm

Prayers for the family, friends, and fellow troopers during their time of loss. Watching the program, I have been impressed with their professional way of doing their job. Last week perhaps the episode that was aired the evening before they were shot, a trooper stopped a teen who had a loaded hand gun in his lap. The hair on the back of my neck raised up realizing the real danger each and every trooper in Alaska and everywhere face every day. God bless these men and God bless all of our law enforcement officers. Our thoughts and prayers are with you as you do your job.

I agree with Diane Roark above. Show the episodes of these two fine troopers. They were honorable officers and they should be remembered.

19. Carole Fromm
    Green Bay, WI
    May 7, 10:47 pm

As many people have expressed, I cannot get the sad thought out of my mind that these brave family men where gunned down (in their backs!!) because of an argument over a $150 couch!! My prayers have been with their families, Trooper colleagues, and the citizens of the beautiful state of Alaska. They have definitely been welcomed into heaven where they can one day be reunited with friends and families. I do question the wisdom of NatGeo deleting episodes in which the two troopers appeared. If that is the expressed wish of their families, I would understand the decision. But it seems that to keep them visible, helps the in keeping the memory of them and their bravery alive. If the episodes are removed it is as if they just disappeared. They will always be very much alive in the hearts if those who love and admire them.

20. Carole Fromm
    Wisconsin
    May 8, 10:50 pm

What is the problem with my comment above? I certainly did not intend to insult anyone. I have the greatest admiration for the troopers and feel very sad about the terrible event which occurred last week and only wanted to convey my support. If you want me to edit any part, I will be glad to do so. I used to teach English grammar and literature, have taught nursing for 28 years in a nursing college and have been published in nursing journals. I also value NatGeo and am a contributing member. I am confused about the comment regarding the need for moderation. Please clarify, thank you.

21. Matt Seipel
    Ohio
    May 9, 9:53 am

Members of the Public Safety sector have no borders or barriers for the love and support they have for each other. This is particularly true when we lose of member of our Public Safety Family.
    I have enjoyed watching my friends from the north since the show has aired.
    It saddens me for this loss.
    My thoughts and prayers go to their personal and professional families.

Rest in peace!

22. Wanda
    May 9, 4:10 pm

I really wish you would reconsider & show the episodes of these Fallen Hero’s as well as the episodes with AST’S Toll & Nader because they should all be remembered & honored for their Bravery & Service & how else but to let the public that might be new to the show or new AST’S coming in watching the show for them all to be remembered & maybe learn something from them all that might help them in being a better State Trooper for it or any other LEO out there watching that it may help! I know I’m not even in law enforcement & I’ve learned from the show! My condolences to the family & friends of the Fallen Hero’s!