Explore What it Takes to Live Below Zero in This Interactive Experience

Surviving in the remote Alaskan wilderness requires living a life of strength and preparedness. In anticipation of Life Below Zero‘s Season Two premiere, National Geographic Channel presents Life Below Zero Demands, an interactive experience documenting the skills LBZ‘s residents need to survive.

For Sue Aikens, her life of perseverance requires zero weakness, as she’s responsible for single-handedly running her Kavik base camp. Chip, Agnes and the Hailstone family live a life of zero waste, surviving off the Alaskan terrain’s abundance of natural resources. And for Glenn, his subsistence lifestyle of living in the wild calls for zero doubt, as his bravery keeps him alive in the tundra’s kill-or-be-killed treachery.

Life Below Zero Demands combines photos, video and challenges for readers to prove their own strength. For Erik, staying aware of his surroundings makes the difference between life and death when he’s hunting for prey. Can you match his awareness by walking across your yard without making a sound?

Explore the interactive experience here.

Don’t miss the Season Two premiere of Life Below Zero on April 17 at 9P.

Comments

1. cal
    ohio
    April 10, 2014, 4:30 pm

One reason for me to quit watching this show is Sue,I realize she brings some hollywood flavor butaccording to other bloggers Imnot the only one that feels this way,unlike the others who work hard everyday to survive up there without complaint Sue has all her supplies flown in to her and then breaks down and cries when the flight is delayed,yet all she talks about
    is how tough she is,living anywhere without heat,waterand electricity is tough but Sue is no survivalist and her rhetoric is growing increasingly boring

2. Rich alvord
    Florida
    April 10, 2014, 4:55 pm

Truly fascinating show . Bassich is the only downer , grow up man . The Hailstones deserve much credit for their life style and lessons to their girls . Agnes is the bomb ! Hope the trapper guide comes back ,living the life with grace and respect .

3. Emma watson
    China
    April 12, 2014, 12:51 am

Life Below Zero

4. Qiowaq
    Barrow
    April 13, 2014, 5:54 pm

real survivalist Sue is not! Animals sense fear, for real survivors of the north there is no room for fear. In the north even polar bears fear real men & women of the north!

5. Qiowaq
    April 13, 2014, 5:57 pm

I grew up in the far north, been there where Sue claims to be top dog! Then she shivers in fear at the slightest noise!

6. Gary Yohn
    Yakima, Washington
    April 17, 2014, 10:14 pm

Sue is great and so are the hailstone’s … Great the way the teach their kids how life really is and Sue has got to be the bravest women around … Semper-Fi to all of them

7. kathy
    NC
    April 18, 2014, 7:20 am

Love the show. Sue and Erik I really enjoy watching.. brave souls..

8. carol larson
    michigan
    May 8, 2014, 3:25 pm

Love the show i dont think i could fo the things that need to b done only because of health but only if

9. Ted Wallace
    Idaho
    May 8, 2014, 4:21 pm

I enjoyed the show until Sue began taking the Lords name in vain.

10. Patricia Morris
    Gladstone, OR 97027
    May 9, 2014, 9:43 pm

I truly enjoy Life Below Zero. I love the outdoors and used to enjoy weeks of hiking and camping the wild when I was younger. Of all the “reality” shows, this is one of the best for “real” reality. I do have to admit that Sue’s constant whining/complaining gets old fast.

11. Gina L. Horton
    MASSACHUSETTS
    May 15, 2014, 8:37 pm

I LOVE THIS SHOW. SUE SHOULD BE CONGRATULATED FOR DOING ANYTHING UP THERE THAT SHE DOES. I’ll bet those critisizing her would not make a week up there IN THE DEAD OF WINTER. I commend everyone on the show for going off the grid. That is my dream to do that and leave the city forever. I LOVE THE WHOLE SHOW!!!

12. Brenda
    Texas
    May 15, 2014, 8:43 pm

I enjoy the show very much and admire the people that are willing to share with us. Two things, I wish people would not beat up this group of survivalist. There is a lot to be said about walking in someone else’s shoes as the saying goes it is easy to become critical in an armchair. Not everyone uses the same techniques to accomplish their goals. Number two, I wish they would clean up their language small kiddos watching. Keep up the great work!

13. Bill Campbell
    May 16, 2014, 5:20 am

Sue has paid her price to be where she is. After being severely attacked by a bear, she “manned-up’ and came back better and much more wiser…I love Sue. If ANY of you “nay-sayers” believe you can do better than her…the North is very big…give it a try. Andy, Agnes, Chip, and Erik are the best folks and teach us their ways every week. I love ya all!!!

14. Werner Hinkfus
    Hancock Mich
    May 16, 2014, 9:15 am

I see a lot of people talking bad about Sue on here, try living up there 12 months a year, year in and year out, that is not an easy life, and on top of that she is alone ,most of you people could not even live alone for 12 months, so she has some food flown in she still hunts for meat, and for those of you think that bears are afraid of humans, in the lower 48 most don’t want contact with humans but up there food is food and they don’t care if it walks on two feet or four. adult female weighs between 200-450 pounds, Kodiak bears, the largest of the species, can weigh over 1,000 pounds . Black bears in the lower weight any where form 125 to 500 lbs .

15. jim
    sunny orlando
    May 16, 2014, 10:31 am

sue does wine alot, but what else does she have to talk about. try this and see how you do.

16. Grub
    SW Texas
    May 17, 2014, 10:30 am

I thought the People were the conservationists who held each part of Mother Earth as sacred and to be treated in accordance. I have absolutely nothing against fair chase (non-baited, in season, with limits, within the law) hunting, or eating meat, but how many seals does Agnes have to shoot and leave dead or dying, or shoot, harpoon, and leave for drowning (a total waste of, a series of dishonored life, lost for no reason) before she feels regret, or the sense of life her weapons wasted, or that maybe 5 dead un harvested seals is too high a price to pay to recover one whose death had meaning by helping to keep her family alive? To wound without capturing and finishing, to kill without harvesting,there is no honor in this.

17. Jerome
    Montana
    May 18, 2014, 2:00 pm

I learn a little from some, alot from others.
    Self subsisting is never easy and the cold and predators make it interesting.
    Great show!

18. shannon
    May 22, 2014, 10:33 pm

Wish I could have the chance to do what they do what a life it would be a dream come true

19. reginald h wilson
    May 22, 2014, 11:39 pm

Sue is fine but I feel that she really has problems with being a female.

20. Dee Nickel
    Unted State
    May 25, 2014, 3:52 am

I love this program and admire all these hard working people. Never a fan of hunting, I have grown a healthy appreciation for those who are dedicated to subsistance living.I might be able to deal with the cold and snow, but never those summer bugs!! For the guy upset that Sue used Gods name in vein…you must not watch much TV or you live in a bubble. Also admire the TV crew!! Thank you for ths learnng experience!!

21. D.U.
    Michigan
    May 29, 2014, 8:24 pm

I like the show but i think Sue has a very bad mouth the produces should step it up and make her act like a woman not a strung out dope head ,STOP THE POTTY MOUTH LADY, kids watch this show they like all same as me but 2 people Agnes and sue …shooting seals with fine shot–and they have a rifle letting seals sink and then just more or less laugh about it..humbug.

22. Summer Musgrave
    Morehead, Ky.
    May 29, 2014, 10:29 pm

I Think That Ppl. Have A lot Of Things To Say When They Watch Someone Doing Something And That You Talk About How U Don’t Like Sue She Doesn’t Get Everything From The Plane She Hunts And She Gets A lot Of Things On Her Own !!!! U Must Not Watch the Show Enough Because She Gets Things Flown In For Other Pppl. When They Come And Stay There Too And Things Like Salt Pepper and Lotion And Different items But She Does Hunt IThink You Guys Need To Watch More Shows Go Get It Sue We Love You Ur Great !!

23. Cheryl Martin
    May 30, 2014, 2:59 pm

Absolutely in love with this show…. but sorry this life style is just not quite for me!!!

24. barbara monti
    pinellas park Florida
    June 6, 2014, 1:20 pm

enjoy the show so much BUT where does mom Hailstone get her nail polish?? lol cracks me up when I saw her nails keep this show on

25. Sydnor Amhurst
    Schenectady, New York
    June 6, 2014, 7:52 pm

I love this show because it takes a special person to live the way they do. I personally like Andy and his wife Kate because it seems they have so much more knowledge opposed to the others living there. Andy’s inventions were the most interesting to me. I believe their health is probably more healthier then people who eat factory processed food because of all the crap that’s put into it. I do admire all of them for their bravery to live in such a hostile climate.

26. clay stapleton
    June 6, 2014, 10:47 pm

Hats off to all the people on the show. I could not do it – couldn’t face the constant cold and then the flies. Those of you who complain about Sue, how many of you could live 8-9 months without seeing a soul? $1k for some meds? Unless you were born there like Agnes, I don’t see how people survive. And the dogs! So much work and care. Like I said, I couldn’t do it! I’m proud of all of them and I really like Andy and Chip! I think Alaska would be a great place to visit, but not so sure about living there and I watch all the shows on Alaska.

27. clay stapleton
    ashland, ohio
    June 7, 2014, 10:16 am

To follow up on my other post, I really appreciate how Agnes is trying to pass on her heritage to her children, and how Chip honors and respects that. Great family values. And no, they don’t laugh about taking a life. I have seen all of them give a prayer of thanks for the animal giving up their life. Total respect! Quit picking on Sue. She is not whining or complaining – she is being realistic. Yes, the language could be cleaned up some by all. If you think you can do better than Sue, go up and try it for awhile. From what I’ve seen, it certainly isn’t crowded up there! Then we would see who would complain! Hope Cody makes it!

28. Ahna Edwards
    Eagle Creek, Oregon
    June 13, 2014, 3:23 am

I love the show. It’s so interesting and I love Sue. She’s intelligent, strong, and interesting. It’s too bad she gets such crap said about her, most of which are from men. It’s too bad that they feel so threatened by her. I would bet none of them would last long living in the conditions she lives in . Agnes and Chip are such good people and it’s refreshing to see parents that actually teach their kids life skills and tradition. Andy, Kate, Chip and Cody are great as well. Too those who don’t like the language, Sue or whatever, don’t watch it.

29. matthew a taggart
    bothell,wa.
    June 13, 2014, 11:52 am

enjoy the show.i am known for my makiverisms,but this show has taught me alot.i like the domino effect would like to be codys intern and keep the tradition going.less is more,do more with less.god bless them all.

30. BILLY MAGNER
    SANFORD, FL
    June 14, 2014, 11:44 am

I ADMIRE SUE SURE SHE LIKES TO JOKE BUT YOU TRY LIVING WITHOUT HUMAN CONTACT , IT TAKE A PERSON THAT IS STRONG WILLED AND BRAVE I WOULD LOVE TO MEET THIS LADY OR TALK TO HER

31. ubs cornwall
    maryland
    June 15, 2014, 8:45 am

Great show. Watch it all the time and neverr miss an episode. My girlfriend liked when glenn took a bath. Let’s see more of that.

32. Stephanie Welch
    Texas
    June 19, 2014, 9:38 am

I would like to thank NGC and all the people that make this show possible! I would treasure the opportunity to meet some of these folks and actually live with them for a short time. Now that would make the show even better, if that’s even possible. Well NatGeo what do you think…I’ll be the first volunteer… 30 days living & learning alongside these fantastic, self sufficient people!!!

33. Doug Morris
    Millville, Pa
    June 19, 2014, 8:51 pm

I love to watch all of the men and women in the north and there survival tactics. We in the lower US can learn a lot from there way of life. I can remember when we did live like them in some sense. Out house, one small stove in one room for everyone, carrying water, preparing foods for winter use. These were actually good days.

34. BRIAN
    EWAN NJ 08062
    June 26, 2014, 8:36 pm

I WANT THANK THE STAFF AT NATGEO FOR PUTTING TOGETHER A SHOW THATS PROBULY THE WAY LIFE IS GONNA BE IN THE NEAR FUTURE ,GLOBEL COLLASP AN NO OIL OR TREES ENOUGH TO GO AROUND OR TRANSPORTATION TO GET IT GET READY PEOPLE GASOLINE IS A MESSAGE ,HIGH COST OF FOOD ALSO.

35. SUSAN LIGHTCAP
    ROOSEVELT, UTAH
    November 5, 2014, 1:04 am

YEAH SUE , GOD BLESS YOU WOMAN . I LOVE YOU ON THE SHOW WISH THEY SHOWED MORE OF YOU . BEEN IN YOUR SPOT GIRL BUT IN UTAH HAVING TO HAUL WATER , NO TOILET (used a bucket and plasticbags) .KEEP IT UP GIRL EMAIL IF U WANT

36. Ethan
    Ohio
    November 27, 2014, 2:33 pm

I like the show,but I hate how Sue is always freaking complaining about how life is so hard especially because she has everything flown to her where everybody’ else has to work and hunt for there stuff and it ticks me off how she always breaks down and cries

37. Judy anderson
    Buckhorn Ca.
    November 27, 2014, 8:41 pm

I lived in a remote cabin in Fritz Creek , Alaska…ALONE …..all of you who call Susan a cry baby? You have no clue!!! Wake up!
    Sue is amazing……!!!!

38. Nick Higgenbothem
    Chatsworth,N.J
    November 27, 2014, 10:32 pm

Wish i could live up there its a little peace of heaven up there i do agree with a lot of you about Sue. n i don’t like Mr.Hailstone he lives off his wife n kids he doesn’t hunt fish nothing i love the show in how it shows us in the lower 48. how easy life is around us compaired to there’s everbody on the show lives the native subsistence living except for Sue she has all kind of heavy equipment in a lot of help by others yes i do give her credit where its due with living out there by herself n no everyday human contact but i think there’s more to her story that hasn’t been told yet in she reliese on climate control heating by oil where everybody else on the show. has to go cut n harvest there fire wood i grew up living off the land hunting.n farming n using outhouses it was my grandfather’s way of living n he made sure i learned every trade needed so i didn’t have to rely on others i don’t think Sue could live up there if she had to harvest all her own wood its a back breaking job my dream is to find my peace of heaven up n Alaska n i thank natgeo for putting on this show just for showing us what we have to prepare for for living that lifestyle up there i rate the show a 10 way to go producers. i hope one day my dream will come true n i will get to live out my fantasy I’ve dreamed it since i was a kid to live up there like i must have n a past life n i want to go back home. any ways thanks for the greatest show i. understand your comments but imagine if you was n there shoes before you judge or criticize. love it amen to natgeo for providing us with such a great show 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

39. Nelson W. McClung
    Mount Lookout, West Virginia
    December 3, 2014, 7:37 pm

Glen is the main reason I watch this show. All of the men and women are great and deserve respect. Great show. Keep bringing Glen to my living room. Would love to shadow Glen for a lifetime. He has a great life. I think the Brooks Range would be big enough for the both of us.