For April Fools’ Day, Nature Videos With A Crazy Twist

What’s better than a night of classic National Geographic nature specials? A night of classic National Geographic nature specials overdubbed by the guys from “Mystery Science Theater 3000,” of course.

Tonight, Nat Geo Channel presents Total Riff Off, an evening of wacky commentary from the minds behind the famous TV show “Mystery Science Theater 3000.”  Three of the show’s comedians — former head writer Mike Nelson, Kevin “Servo” Murphy and Bill “Crow T. Robot” Corbett — join us to poke fun at National Geographic nature documentaries, inserting their irreverent commentary over clips of koalas, bats, bizarro birds and more.

The three comedians have continued the MST3K comedic tradition after the series’ end, spoofing movies on their website RiffTrax.com. With a distinctive brand of humor that fits perfectly with Nat Geo’s exotic animals and wacky explorers, Total Riff Off is an instant April Fools’ classic.

Catch the three-hour special tonight starting at 8P.

Comments

1. David
    April 1, 2014, 10:39 pm

Total Riff Off is the best television I have seen in a long time. Thank you Nat Geo for having the courage to try something different then the rest of the other channels and having a sense of humor about yourself

2. Bill Bramberg
    April 2, 2014, 1:42 am

Absolutely BRILLIANT! Please make this a permanent series!

3. Terry
    Arizona USA
    April 2, 2014, 9:47 am

that was great – couldn’t believe that it had already been three hours when it was over… hopefully a new April Fools Day tradition although I sure wouldn’t mind more frequent opportunity – thanks

4. debra40
    April 2, 2014, 10:39 am

that was the funniest thing ever. I hope you plan on doing others with the rifftrax guys.

5. Cindy
    Minnesota, USA
    April 2, 2014, 10:41 am

That was the best thing I’ve seen in AGES!!! You should make this a regular thing! Don’t get me wrong…I LOVE nature documentaries. However, this was GLORIOUS. They gave voice to the thoughts we’ve ALL had while watching these things sometimes. Thank you, NatGeo!

6. James
    Tucson, AZ
    April 2, 2014, 3:58 pm

I have followed MST3K and RiffTrax almost all of my life, as well as a Nat Geo subscriber for life. To see them come together was absolutely amazing, and I actually paid more attention to the shows themselves. You television channel won my respect, and your professionalism and ability to laugh at yourself are rare qualities these days, especially on television. Thank you for great educational entertainment and this is something you definitely need to consider making a regular show.