Brothers In War: The Charlie Company And The War In Vietnam

A true band of brothers, the Charlie Company was one of the last combat infantry companies in the Vietnam War to be drafted, trained and sent to battle together. Brothers In War tells the gripping story of the Charlie Company, tracing their journey of terror, pain and camaraderie from boot camp to combat to home.

Narrated by Charlie Sheen, who rose to stardom after his 1986 performance as a Vietnam soldier in “the Academy Award-winning film Platoon, Brothers In War follows a group of boys with who, if nothing else, had one thing in common: they were removed from their familiar lives and thrown together eight thousand miles from home, tasked to fight and die for their country in a world far beyond their comprehension.

In 1967 the young soldiers of the Charlie Company were tasked to fight in one of Vietnam’s most difficult terrains: the Mekong Delta, homeland of the Viet Cong. The company entered an alien land of murderous heat, chest-deep mud, and unforgiving jungles festooned with deadly mines and booby traps. Masters of the delta, the Viet Cong hid in swamps and rice paddies, silently navigating the familiar terrain with ease as the American soldiers floundered.

For a year, the Charlie Company draftees chased the Viet Cong across the watery landscape, a war of stillness interrupted by sudden, terrible bursts of violence. By the end of that yearlong combat tour, the company had suffered tragic losses, with 25 soldiers killed and 105 wounded, only to return home to America to a growing tide of anti-war discontent. The shared horrors of their time in Vietnam bound the Charlie Company members for life. Today, the survivors of Charlie Company still get together every year for a reunion.

A true story of real patriotism, Brothers In War weaves together first-person accounts and digitally remastered archival footage, including the soldiers’ own home movies and personal audio tapes, to recount an important and difficult time in American history – and the young men who heroically sacrificed their lives in the process.

Watch the two-hour special on Wednesday, March 26 at 8P.

Comments

1. claudeharrison
    virginia
    March 26, 2014, 8:52 pm

I was wondering if Charlie company was part of a Battalion, brig. or div. If someone knows please e-mail me with answer.

2. michael arnall
    portland, or
    March 26, 2014, 9:43 pm

long over due!!! story on bush w. 911 bullshit &lies story on kenndy not going to nam did not see that????? story on mccain my info was he was a collaberater, while in the hanoi hilton,&the other p.o.w.s. did not have anything good to say about him. in fact i think one of them wrote a book about it. Know anything along those lines????when do you think you all will be doing a story on the bush adm. for Treesen ????

3. Arnold Uitermarkt
    March 26, 2014, 10:44 pm

4th BTN 47th inf 9th inf div hdq co All of 1967 I was there

4. Arnold Uitermarkt
    March 26, 2014, 11:22 pm

For Larry Lilly, I may have something that belongs to you. It has your name on it.

5. Sue Wade
    Sun City CA
    March 27, 2014, 8:37 am

My twin brother, David Knox severed in the Army and spent time in Vietnam. The welcome he got when he arrived in the States was a disgrace. His family is proud of his service. Thank you for paying tribute to the brave men and women who served in this thankless war. They deserve it.

6. Earl March
    March 27, 2014, 1:38 pm

I was with the 9th from 68 – 69, I was in an aviation unit attached to the 3rd of 39. . H.H.B. Divarty. call sign Snow Snake. we flew with a hunter killer team. I was in a Loach (OH6As), as a door gunner. We supported a lot of the grunts and did a lot of work with the Navy.Great movie.

7. Eric Thorson
    NJ
    March 27, 2014, 3:14 pm

I saw this last night and saying it was moving would be an under statement. From the deportation out of San Fran to the fighting and back this was amazing. My deepest respect for those who served, fought, died and came back. there should be more documentaries like this. People back home that turned their backs on these guys should be ashamed of themselves. Come on most were DRAFTED not volunteered.
    One thing not being for the war it’s another to totally dis respect!!

8. Ron Grosland
    March 27, 2014, 4:24 pm

Now these guys are true American Heros not some damm football star or rock star ! Or even some movie star like Jane Fonda !

9. Peter Azzarelli
    San Jose, CA
    March 27, 2014, 7:20 pm

Very good program. I was surprised at all the on-scene footage, that must have been locked up for years. Was also surprised at the admission of the journalism of the time, that they had accurate count of US KIA after every battle, but had inaccurate or no count of Vietnamese KOA. In most cases, the reporters didn’t even mention the Viet KIA. Nor did the reporters even pursue any Viet KIA.

10. John Androvich
    Illinois
    March 27, 2014, 7:26 pm

Sadly I missed the show last evening and was wondering if and when it will be rebroadcast? I was part of the 9th Infantry Division and went over by ship with the division.
    Thank you for creating this program. Would it be available by DVD?

John Androvich

11. Tim Hollar
    Marina del Rey, CA
    March 28, 2014, 11:40 am

C Co / 3rd Bn / 60th Inf Bd / 9th Infantry Division, Mobile Riverine 11B40 (Infantry non-commissioned officer for the uninitiated), 1968-1969.

Excellent program. It was us, just a year earlier and 4th of the 47th rather than 3rd of the 60th.

“If you weren’t there, don’t judge” was a perfect statement. If you are faced with death, sane people choose life and do what is necessary to protect it.

We did what our country asked us to do. I, for one, am proud of how I comported myself in a horrible situation. I am proud of my brothers for the same reasons.

Damming the reasons and the politicians who put is there is correct. It is called freedon for speech. Damming us for living through it was disgusting.

Thank you my brothers.

Tim Hollar, SSG
    C/3/60/9th Inf. Div.

12. Skip kneuer
    n.y.
    March 28, 2014, 1:57 pm

show will be on again on cablevision’s national geographic channel sat.3/29 12 pm. And 4/2 4pm. Don’t miss it very powerful. Ran convoys to Bear Cat ( 9th inf. Base camp) 66-67. Lot of respect for those guys.

13. Kevin lane
    SF bay area
    March 29, 2014, 1:05 pm

I wish I could have been there to shake each one of their hands as they arrived home, great story thanks For sharing it and thanks to all of those who serve our country.

14. John Cassie
    Sacramento, CA
    March 29, 2014, 1:20 pm

As an 11B20 combat veteran, ( 1970), I found this program captivating. Showed a true picture of the times, the troops, and the mood of the country. Job well done by all involved.
    I wish I could express the feelings it stirred up in me, both good and otherwise.
    Thanks for presenting this program.

15. Carol Conrad
    March 29, 2014, 5:36 pm

The 9th ID is having a reunion in Columbus Georgia next month… Hoping some of you will be there.

16. Jeffrey Gibbs
    March 29, 2014, 8:05 pm

TIM HOLLAR FIRST PLEASE FORGIVE THE CAPS I’M NOT YELLING AT YOU BROTHER JUST A LOUSEY TYPIST AND ITS QUICKER THIS WAY . YESTERDAY WAS MY 67TH BIRTHDAY AND I WATCHED ” BROTHERS IN WAR” SITTING BY MYSELF , LOTS OF TEARS AND EMOTION INVOLVED FOR ME . I SERVED IN COUNTRY SEPT. 67 – SEPT 68 WITH 79TH ENGR. GRP 20TH ENGR BRGD. I WAS A SURVEYOR AND SUPPORTED MAINLY COMBAT ENGR’S FROM THE DELTA TO THE CENTRAL HIGHLANDS . MY 3 MAN TEAM AND I ALSO SPENT 9 OR 10 MONTH ON AND OFF SUPPORTING 5TH SPECIAL FORCES SURVEYING THEIR TEAM CAMPS IN SAID AREA . WE RAN IN TO THE 9TH ID QUITE A BIT IN OUR TRAVELS AND ALWAYS WERE ACCEPTED AND RESPECTED BY THE TROOPERS OF THE 9TH ID , SO THEY HOLD A SPECIAL PLACE IN MY HEART AND MEMORIES OF MY TOUR . I AGREE COMPLETELY WITH YOUR COMMENTS BROTHER , THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE AND SACRIFICE MY BROTHER !!! AND MOST OF ALL ” WELCOME HOME MY BROTHER GLAD YOU MADE IT BACK TO THE WORLD ”

SGT JEFF GIBBS
    79TH ENGR GRP , 20TH ENGR BRGD. “67-68”

17. eddie hobbs
    kenansville,nc 28349
    March 30, 2014, 12:16 am

i missed a part of this. when and where can i get it on dvd. i served with this group from 6/67 until 1/68. i caught malaria 12/67 and ended up at walter reed. i am pictured in this film at least three times. excellant movie, really tells it like it was. i started with the 9th division at fort riley, kansas in 66, went by train to calif. then to viet nam on the GEIGER.

18. Larry Facio
    Sacramento, Ca
    March 30, 2014, 3:48 pm

A distinct blemish on our history books, not necessarily the involvement in Vietnam but how our military members were treated by anti-war protestors when they arrived back home, a disgrace. I couldn’t imagine that taking place today, even with the deep and heavy political partisanship engulfing our country.

Either way, I have three Uncles that are Vietnam Vets; my father and his siblings grew up with Forrest Ramos, a member Charlie Company, K.I.A. Our families are still very, very close and though I was only three months old when Forrest Ramos was killed, I was familiar with his name all through my upbringing.

Excellent documentary, wish it was longer, and thanks to Charlie Sheen for narrating.

19. Sandy Kenney Termin
    Fullerton Calif
    April 1, 2014, 8:57 pm

FRED KENNEY was my brother! He loved surfing & racing his motorcycle in the Calif desert. They were so young, just starting out on life. I remember Freddie asking us to send him a small 45 wrapped in lead, said everything rusted so fast. I think this is accurate, hope its okay to say. Miss you Freddie! They died for their country!! God Bless

20. Lowell Kenney
    Western Washington
    April 2, 2014, 3:57 pm

I dropped into this show by accident and was thrilled to see the ships and ATCs and then was doubly excited when I put things together that it really was the 4/47 Co C that was being featured. I joined them in Oct/68, spent time with HHQ because of jungle rot and then finished with A Co. before extending to go to 9th Signal Combat Photo team. Ended up with 3rd brigade as the NCOIC of the 56th Combat Photo Team in Tan An. It was a very well done feature. I asked my wife and best friend to watch it with me after I got it recorded on the DVR. Thank you to the soldiers who shared their story so well and the NG for doing it.

21. Edwin Cintron
    Jacksonville, Fl
    April 3, 2014, 8:17 pm

I heard about the showing of this from my neighbor. Would like to know when it will show again. I was in country from 12/67 – 11/68. I was with the river rats that supported the 9th. and escorted the troops up the rivers.
    Welcome Home to all vets…..

22. Fred (YAB) Ybanez
    Belton, Texas
    April 18, 2014, 8:36 pm

Fort Riley Kn to VietNam 1966-1967. 1969-1970 C, 5/60 Infantry 9th Inf Div. Retired 1990. Memories of the men and buddies I served with, will live with me till the day I depart this earth.

23. olen brown
    bernie mo. 63822
    May 27, 2014, 12:25 am

boys after watching what you went thru im sorry i wasn’t there to salute you and shake your hand for i wasn’t far behind from going myself i just want you to no i apreciate every thing you done for us and the things you endured. my thanks sorry its taken so long for people to finaly see what it was you had to put up with again thanks

24. Dan Wright
    Kent Wa
    May 27, 2014, 1:58 am

Oh. My. God. I watched this for the first time tonight and as I watched I recognized the terrain. I started to dig through my Grandma’s pictures and sure enough, my uncle Robert had sent pictures home from there. He died in the big battle on June 19. He was in A Co, 4/47. Robert F. Wright. I didn’t know ANY of this history until I watched the show. My grandma was always vague about the circumstances of his death. Wow oh wow.

25. Lori Kershaw
    Chicago
    June 5, 2014, 3:22 pm

I haven’t yet watched this but my brother, Philip O. ZumMallen, died on June 19, 1967 (Alpha Company A, 47th Inf, 4th Battalion, 9 Inf Division). I was only 3 when he died and have never known much about the circumstances. Thanks to Bill Reynolds for pointing me to this documentary. And heartfelt thanks to all the men and women who serve.

26. Cynthia Payne
    Omaha, Ne.
    July 11, 2014, 11:46 pm

I have a terrific song written about Vietnam that I think everyone of these men would really like to hear. How do I get ahold of the people who put together the reunions? Trust me….It’s that good!
    Thank You!

27. Sheila Cook
    Dripping Springs Texas
    August 17, 2014, 8:13 pm

My husband was there but he was B Bravo they had to go in on June 19 mentioned and they had to go in under fire and bring in the survivors of A Co. C went in and brought in the bodies of the deceased. It was a bad time in history but they fought for us and our Country.

28. Sheila Cook
    August 17, 2014, 8:17 pm

My husband was Philip Cook from Bee Cave Texas. We have been to 4 Reunions they were great.

29. Ron Wolfson
    Cypress,Ca.
    September 16, 2014, 2:46 pm

I was in the Navy in the Amphibious Fleet on A Rocket/Gun Ship called thee U.S.S. Clarion River LSMR 409 from 66 through 68 during the period of time Charlie Company and many others were combat active. We supported the Marines and Army ground troops from our shallow coastal water advantage locations. We never came close to experiencing the direct devastation and heroic effort these Unnoticed Heros were dealing with on a daily bases. My Brothers, you are and will always be True Dedicated Superstar Americans who have sacrificed for all of our freedoms we share today. Brothers, my salute to all of you until the day I pass on. Hopefully the men and women who were involved in the anti-war demonstrations will take the opportunity to watch this dvd so they can realize how shamefully blind and wrong they were.

30. Ron Wolfson
    Cypress,Ca.
    September 16, 2014, 2:56 pm

This DVD, ” Brothers In War “, is available to order on line at the National Geographic web site for $24.95.

31. Nick Lang
    Pickerington, Ohio
    October 16, 2014, 8:17 am

You might also be interested in “The Boys of 67– Charlie Company’s War in Vietnam” by Andy Wiest. Fascinating and a well told story. High recommend!

32. Tom Mercer
    Seymour, tenn
    November 29, 2014, 10:43 pm

Reunions are great. I served with the first Infantry Division from july 1967 to July 1968.
    I Was with the 1bn 18 Inf Swamp Rats,
    Charlie Company. I was point man for Lima platoon. We finally had our first reunion in 2009 after 42 years. I put it together. Since then we’ve had 6 number 7 in June 2015.
    I talked 33 of the guys to write stories for a book. It’s title is Dogface Charlie compiled by me, Tom Mercer. I also wrote songs for 2 c.d.s. and all about the guys. Funny and some serious. We are now working on book two. The first Infantry Division Museum at Cantingy, did the publishing and edited the book also.
    To check it out go to Dogface Charlie,Tom Mercer and look at pictures and read some stories.
    Welcome home and thanks for your service.
    Tom Mercer

33. Kurt W. Radke
    Northville, MI
    February 20, 2015, 10:12 pm

Does anyone remember serving with my dad, Roy James Radke? He is from Racine, Wisconsin, and loves to hunt and fish. He was in the First Infantry Division, Charlie Company, 2nd Battalion, 16th Infantry Regiment at Fort Riley, Kansas. Shortly after arriving in Vietnam, he was transferred to Headquarters Company. He talks about the Battle of Xa Cam My, on April 11, 1966. From what I can gather from my dad, Headquarters Company had arrived after day break the next morning with Alpha and Bravo company. However, I can not find anything about Headquarters Company in anything written about this battle. We are planning on going to the reunion in June for the first time.

34. Richard Rickis
    Cape Coral, Florida
    March 23, 2015, 4:11 pm

I was on that ship as we set sail for Vietnam. My unit was B Company, 2/47th Mechanized Infantry, 9th Infantry. It was a beautiful cruise as it started and then many of us got very sea sick as the ship sailed into the Pacific Ocean. Coming back home, I flew on a 4 engine Pan American Jet. Two very interesting trips of my lifetime.

35. Brothers in War - Democratsnewz
    August 17, 2015, 10:52 am

[…] are a few stills and a rather dull clip, but National Geographic’s link to the film itself has been removed from the Web. Maybe the […]

36. Brothers in War | Around The World
    August 17, 2015, 10:53 am

37. K. Stelly
    Louisiana
    October 13, 2015, 3:21 am

Does anybody know my father? He was a Platoon Sergeant in Charlie Co. 3/60th 9th Infantry Div. STELLY, Jimmy Stelly. Wounded in May or June of 1967 ???? Was an Instructor at Benning before Vietnam…?

38. Michael
    Florida
    January 21, 4:45 pm

My brother William H Opal was in Viet Nam 12/69 to 12/70, can anyone help me find details on where he was and which company ? He passed in 1992 from cancer is buried at Bay Pines VA

39. Jeff Wiebe
    Efland, NC
    February 22, 5:30 pm

The soldier’s mention a hero named Dusty Rhodes who helped to unpin them during the June 19, 1967 battle. Dusty is alive and well and is a friend of mine. I never knew what a hero he was until I watched this documentary. Keep up the good work and never let the memory of these heros die.

40. Valentine Featherstone
    Portland, Or
    February 26, 7:17 pm

I just watched this and it truly was a great show. I just recently lost my father who was in vietnam around 1967…. he was in the 1st cav. He was the only one to survive from his group…. This is something he battled with his whole life.
    Was glad to see this… Sometimes it seems like America would like to forget this part of our history and those poor soldiers who risked everything for their country!
    Thank you for being and endouring hell on earth! Your very brave!

41. SFC Jones Wifey
    AK, CA, LA, TX, PA
    March 1, 5:38 am

You guys are badass and the backbone of this countries war in that hell hole. It’s sad you didn’t get the homecoming y’all deserved! Thank you for sacrificing your all so that we could have freedom. I know so many of you guys would get out there and fu€k shit up with today’s bs

42. SFC Jones Wifey
    AK, CA, TX, LA and PA
    March 1, 5:40 am

I love these docs. I have an Uncle who flew a Huey in Nam, love the stories he tells about learning to fly it. My father was stationed in Germany during this war. I wish all the men who sacrificed their all, whether they came home, are still MIA/POW or whatever, would have had/have a homecoming they deserved! Thank you all for your service and sacrifice!

43. Wayne Montgomery
    Paso Robles, California
    April 17, 1:18 am

We have watched our fathers, who served in WWII, get old and die off. Now it is the Vietnam veterans who are getting old and dying off. Sometimes I think that only other combat veterans understand in their “gut” what the experience of combat is like. Other people just have an “intellectual” understanding of the combat experience. I love my brother combat veterans. Semper Fi, Wayne.

44. John Ledsome
    Circleville,Ohio
    June 5, 6:40 pm

Served with Charlie Co.3rd/47th 3-68 3-69. Also with the Moble Riverine Force….Flew into San Fancisco from Nam. We were bussed to the airport in a military Bus(Designed for prision inmates) the protesters were throwing rocks and eggs outside the base fences. “Welcome Home”

45. Simon Paul Yip
    United Kingdom m
    September 30, 7:21 pm

I have just read on an American site that 75-80% of US citizens who claim to have served in the American war in Vietnam, are ‘wannabes’ who don’t realise how easy it is to find out that they are lying.