Welcome To The Universe: COSMOS: A Spacetime Odyssey Premieres Tonight

The wait is over. Tonight, Carl Sagan’s legendary COSMOS series, television’s greatest exploration of science, returns with a renewed journey for a new generation with COSMOS: A Spacetime Odyssey starring Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Tonight’s worldwide premiere event will be simulcast live across ten Fox U.S. channels, including FOX, Nat Geo Channel and more.

President Barack Obama will deliver a video message to introduce tonight’s premiere, welcoming viewers to the COSMOS series and inviting them to join in the series’ “spirit of discovery.”

Join us for this unprecedented television event tonight at 9P.

Comments

1. Bruce Patterson
    Pa.
    March 9, 2014, 9:13 pm

Well Done! Neil’s personal story of his meeting with Carl Sagan was touching and brought back memories of his Cosmos series which I enjoyed so much. Good job Neil. I’ll keep watching.

2. Elizabeth Hickman
    March 9, 2014, 10:41 pm

Will any of the Cosmos episodes be available to watch online?

3. Paul Falletta
    March 10, 2014, 12:20 am

I thought that a cable channel with National Geographic’s name and tradition would be a wonderful place to watch the new ‘Cosmos.’ But what a horrible premiere for National Geographic. Rather than respecting the incredible heritage and scope of this production of ‘Cosmos,’ they choose to advertise ad nauseum their ‘Ultimate Survival Alaska’ finale to the point of distraction throughout the presentation of ‘Cosmos,’ including their idiotic persistence on the screen during the show. I was so annoyed by this dumb marketing ploy that I won’t be watching NatGeo for anything again.

4. Virginia Jolly
    Louisville, KY
    March 10, 2014, 5:16 am

I, too, grew up on Cosmos as Carl Sagan had presented it–I was a teenager and already an avid science buff, soaking up fascinating information like a sponge.

How grateful I am that I live in an era in which scientific study can be used in the open as the exacting tool it is to explore the cosmos around us.

And this is a time in which anyone can use science as easily as logging onto the Internet. For now the Internet makes the information of the Information Age truly accessible to anybody, and anybody can investigate anything.

This premier show was truly captivating. And when I saw the part where Dr. Tyson and Dr. Sagan met, I cried at such a blessing of passing the torch of the precious gift from teacher to student, who brings this gift to all people, lay and learned alike.

Some people believe science is a wicked religion. It is not. Some people believe it disproves God exists. It does not; neither does it prove God exists. Some people think that science is a fascination that brings us bigger and better toys for Christmas.

But more than a fascination, science brings to our hands a way of life to bring better things, better understanding, and better ways of living. The entire cosmos is connected and can’t be separated into chemistry, biology, physics, and so on–because it all works together. Very intricately.

No longer do learned librarians need to be flayed alive for keeping knowledge. No one has to be burned at the stake. No one needs to recant their findings and evidence because someone else demanded they do. No one need study in secret. Science is for everyone, and it has something in it for everyone.

We have some great ambitions on the horizon: colonizing Mars, checking out and possibly mining asteroids and/or the moon. Capturing energy from the sun directly for our ever-increasing energy needs. Weaning ourselves off of limited and dwindling fossil fuels and dangerous radioactive materials.

We have much to discover. I’m eagerly waiting for more!

5. Tim Observation
    New York
    March 10, 2014, 12:15 pm

Having enjoyed Neil deGrasse Tyson narrating his NOVA series on PBS I looked forward to the potential for reintroduction of COSMOS and enlightenment in science. The first episode is a disappointment as Neil spent a great deal of time stating speculation that poses as science, more materialist dogma, the religion as opposed to evidence of fact. There is ample verifiable evidence to draw rational construction of theory without need for the may be’s the mights, the possibilities and all the other conjectures that pretend to be real science these days. Real science is an open question that always probes from more evidence and bases conclusion upon repeatable experiment results. Neil deGrasse Tyson has skill to do a far better job as a teaching scientist communicating fact, an educator as opposed to playing high priest for materialism.

6. Barbara Harper
    Richland, WA
    March 10, 2014, 2:20 pm

Nice, but without the original Vangelis theme, it suffered. The original series captured the imagination through the host, the visuals, and the music. The producer forgot about the music. He could have requested permission to use Mythodea of any number of other works.

7. Bartman
    Baltimore, MD
    March 10, 2014, 5:55 pm

Liked it in general, was a fan of Sagan and the original series so much I got the book afterwards. I’m a big fan of Tyson and feel he’s probably the best host for a continuation. The one thing that blew it for me was the cartoons. At least the original used varied live action backgrounds to accentuate the stories. I would’ve figured that with NatGeo and the bucks that Fox/FX has behind them that they wouldn’t have resorted to the fairly crude animations they used. It was a real downer for me. I’ll have to watch the next couple installments to see what they do but I have to say I have mixed feelings right now.

8. Jan Santos
    New Hampshire
    March 10, 2014, 9:52 pm

Loved the show, it is very reminiscent of the original. I was however disappointed in the portrayal of the Catholic Church. While I don’t doubt the facts of the story, I was disappointed in the visual depiction of the church leaders. Portraying the Pope or Cardinal with blackened eyes and dark face gives an impression of evil. The Inquisition was a very dark and horrific time in history, but please just relate the actual events and let viewers form draw their own conclusions based on the facts. Don’t dumb it down for us, force your opinions on us, or tell us what to think, simple present the facts and allow us to make up our own minds! Most of us will doubtlessly agree with you anyway!

9. Todd Monka
    Manitowoc, WI
    March 11, 2014, 12:27 am

I find this program very delinquent. This show has failed to give credit and honor to the Universal Sovereign and Creator of the heavens and the earth-Jehovah God. All these miraculous things did not evolve, they required an intelligent designer. Your show gets an F, redo it when you truly know what you are talking about.

10. mytvhub
    pakistan
    March 11, 2014, 3:06 am

I like the way you described it and would like to see more from you. Khabarnaak

11. Dennis
    March 11, 2014, 12:18 pm

The above points are valid for me too. Not a very unbiased show. Won’t watch the rest of the series.

12. Elaine Bakken
    Minnesota
    March 11, 2014, 9:47 pm

Why, oh why do you have to add that horrible backgkround music. It’s a huge annoyance for me. I’m interested what
    the narrator has to say, and the feeling of awe that I
    experience regarding the cosmos. Distraction of loud music ruins it for me. In fact it angers me just listening to it. Could
    have done without the cartoons. Other than that, I look
    forward to the next segment.

13. hobartstinson
    San Jose, CA
    March 12, 2014, 12:24 am

I thought the writing was horrible, like it was made for 2nd grade viewers. Neil’s delivery was boring and slow, with no PASSION or inspiration. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE shows about physics and space, but this one fell FLAT. Sorry Neil, I may be skipping the rest of the series.

14. hobartstinson
    San Jose, CA
    March 12, 2014, 12:26 am

And bashing the ancient catholic church does NOTHING for the teaching of, and advancement of, science.

15. Bob Allen
    CA
    March 12, 2014, 3:14 am

I would have watched it if Socialist Dictator Obama didn’t intro it.

16. Catherine Osterloh
    Las Vegas
    March 12, 2014, 2:10 pm

I too was so excited about this show. Recorded it couldn’t wait. I “was” big fan of National Geographic. Not anymore. I was disguised with their democratic propaganda to bad mouth the Catholic Church (I should have guest it when I saw Obama presenting it). I thought Nat Geo was non-biased and above that). It made the program a cheap, cartoony, fiction story. Will definitely NOT watch the rest. SHAME ON YOU, NAT’ GEO’

17. Eric b
    MI
    March 14, 2014, 8:09 pm

Why would a wall that Bruno hit with an arrow have a top to stand on and shoot another arrow? I thought it was infinity. Doesn’t that apply to all directions?

18. Matt Terry
    Rutland FL
    March 16, 2014, 7:21 am

So bad I kept turning to other things. Everytime I returned it was worse. Yes, music from the first made a huge dif and was sorely lacking. Yes, the cartoons were horrible. My complaint is that the whole show talked to us like we’re reasonably bright 6 year-olds. Cartoon decision a perfect “illustration” of their “Americans are really dumb” mindset. then again, look who produced it. Neil is always patronizing on tv too, so what could we expect? Like so much else today, where the original was literate, humble and humane this is just dumbed-down, patronizing, and hubristic. Scientists one knew it wise to avoid hubris, and would speak of “if” and “we think” and “best theories” but now they insist they know everything to the 39th decimal, or worse, power. One clown at the Hubble shop told NPR we live in the time when we finally answered all the big questions of humanity. The cosmological principle applies to everything but cosmologists? Or are they just full of themselves because their gear is so good? Don’t we want to thank the engineers, not the theorist? Their language is definitive, when the problems with the Big Bang/Inflation and DarkMatter/Energy theories they peddle only grow: 96% of the Universe is undetectable? No talk of models, now, but Declarations of Fact: Diviniations! Given how wide the error bars are in cosmology, and how far past the limits of observation the theorists have deputized themselves & demand our acceptance of their arcane and obscure priestlyness, their lack of humility is breathtaking. Larry Krause/Michio/NeilD-T, you are all stating as fact things that are so preposterous, and obviously wrong if observations of quasars in front of galaxies matter (NGC7319), that you have lost all credibility to be so definitive. Have you forgotten your Popper along with your humility? No complaints about “new physics” can possibly be seriously entertained from people who insist they know the conditions 10 to the minus 39 seconds after the birth our “our” Universe [hey, theorists: see the definition of Universe], yet proceed blithely on without an explanation for that spark, much less for Inflation/Dark Energy&Matter, the fine structure constant, the solar corona and gamma-ray bursters, and who flat out lie to us about what is already proven about the composition of comets—Whipple’s dirty-snowball model has been definitely dis-proven for decades now—who then speak with assurance of black holes and infinite Universes, a pair of grammatical, logical and thermodynamic impossibilities, even if they can get their hyper abstract math to “work.” That’s just what I like to call mathsturbation. Who was it who said “It’s pointless to be precise when you don’t even know what you’re talking about.”?

19. anmol
    March 17, 2014, 5:14 am

how can i get the first episode online

20. Dan
    March 17, 2014, 6:54 pm

Who cares if Obama hosted the first intro? Republican? Democrat? That’s not the point of Cosmos.

Complaining that they bashed the Catholic Church? That happens to be a FACTUAL cartoon. The church did KILL those who did not agree with them. Deal with it. I don’t know for sure if there is a God, but if you watch most scientific specials, they really don’t argue that.

Seth McFarlane produced this…HE’S AN ANIMATOR. Of course it’s animated.

I do admit it’s more of a basic language than most documentaries, but that’s what Carl Sagan was going for in the original series as well.

We’re all part of the same Cosmos. Like it or not we’re all on the same team. Cut from the same cloth. The intent is the unification of thought. To understand the universe. I suggest to many of you to think beyond your own personal critiques.

21. Chuck Sammons
    New Zealand
    March 17, 2014, 10:25 pm

What a farse, typical American propaganda, totally bias and theoretical in many ways, waited and waited for this only to find its based entirely on a Christian ideology and NOT scientifc FACT!!! Shame Nat Geo

22. Arka
    March 21, 2014, 1:16 am

Well what do you know. Creationist retards complaining about a documentary.

23. Dennis
    March 24, 2014, 7:41 am

How can we take seriously a ‘science’ program that STARTS by touting the big bang and inflation which violates conservation of energy? Sagan at least would admit likely flaws in the party line such as star Stellar Doppler shift being related to stellar distance.

National Geographic COULD BE an unbiased advocate for reasoned debate not another mouthpiece for silly theories like dark matter, big bang, inflation (now a miracle happens) and debunked theories such as the Ort cloud.

Give us a break.

24. sonakshi goyal
    hathras India
    March 29, 2014, 6:16 am

i watched that show
    it was awesome as i am vry interested in astronomy field i found the show vry interesting for those who want to explore the outer world .Neil sir you really explained the carl’s theory vey well kipitup!! .and i appreciate all those theories and like them vry much!!!!!

25. Victoria Culver
    Eastbourne, UK
    May 26, 2014, 9:20 pm

I love the show and look forward to it every week. But On a show that is based on scientific fact, I am surprised that such a basic fact of national geography was reported incorrectly. Showing panoramic videos of the Seven Sisters and Beachy Head in Sussex and calling them the white cliffs of Dover is unbelievable.

Get your simple facts about geography correct

Victoria