Meet The Master Craftsmen of Mennonite Made

In Salem, Missouri, a community of devout men abide by two divine forces: their Mennonite faith and their carpentry craft. Mennonite Made follows a tight-knit crew of traditional Mennonites, who practice craftsmanship passed down through generations to build one-of-a-kind log homes.

Spearheading the log home crew are owner Norman Troyer and his family of crewmates: his brother-in law-Elmer working as the foreman, his son Freeman driving the loader and cousin Mark manning the chainsaw.

On this episode, the crew work to build a custom Ponderosa-style log cabin in Colorado before the treacherous winter hits. When the build site is hit with a massive flood, the team must adhere to their standards of craftsmanship while hustling to finish the build.

Will the crew succeed? Catch the all-new Mennonite Made tonight at 10P.

Watch as master crafter Andy carves a bench from an old tree:

Comments

1. Cindy Thornlow
    Palmer, Alaska
    February 19, 2014, 12:56 am

First let me say, my ancester came over on the Mayflower and from what I’ve read, my belief system is close. Then I’ve visited PA and admired the work ethic and life style of the Amish. And our Pastor when I was a teenager came from a Mennonite family, in Michigan. My husband of 40 years use to help my dad build houses. And he was a maintenance man with the school district. He finally gets to retires this May. And here we are watching your show for the first time and I love log and rock houses! And I asked my husband… Wouldn’t you just love to work on one of those homes? (He thought he wanted to teach wood shop in a school) but decided getting married and having a family was more important!
    So I got online to look you up and found out we have Mennonites here in Alaska.. Do you build houses for Alaska or would you coordinate with this group?

2. Sylvia Good
    New York
    February 19, 2014, 5:54 am

I liked the program very much but I really loved the work ethic and the resulting home. I need to contact them but I can’t find their info? Could you supply the company’s name and number?

3. Robert Thompson
    Springfield, Illinois
    February 19, 2014, 3:26 pm

I saw the program, loved it, and I now need to make contact with Norman about work for me here in Springfield, Illinois. I have a job that would probably take them less the 1 week to complete. If you could send me contact info, address, name of their business, I would appreciate it, thanks.

4. Jonathan White`
    North Carolina
    February 19, 2014, 7:33 pm
  5. KATHY ROBERTS
    ARKANSAS
    February 22, 2014, 12:29 pm

I WATCHED YOUR SHOW LAST NIGHT, ON BUILDING THE COLORADO HOME ( I HAD TAPED IT) I LOVE THE SHOW…..TO WATCH THEM USE A CHAIN SAW IT WAS JUST UNREAL…GREAT SHOW AND I LOOK FORWARD TO THE NEXT SHOW….I WOULD REALLY LIKE INFORMATION ON PRICES.

6. Scott Gillespie
    Arkansas
    February 23, 2014, 4:31 pm

Loved the show! Great craftsmanship and devotion to faith. What a combination. I hope NatGeo gives them a series so we can see more of their team!!

7. Tom Calnan
    Lansdowne, PA
    February 23, 2014, 7:34 pm

I love you show and have watched the Colorado program twice now. I hope you plan to do more programs on your work and continue to show your Mennonite ways of life in each program.

8. Connie Poust
    PA
    February 24, 2014, 8:24 am

In 1972 my husband & I built a “kit” log home we had trucked in from Vancouver B. C. We did 90% of the work ourselves. All logs were marked & it went together perfectly!! One of the first in our area, we were the talk of the area. Some liked it, some thought we were crazy!! Now 40 + years later we are still in our log home & loving it still. We hope it stays in the family for many many years as a heirloom.

9. Mennonite Made on National Geographic
    February 26, 2014, 5:05 am

[…] There’s another Plain program on the airwaves, but this one isn’t about the Amish. National Geographic Channel’s Mennonite Made (despite the name, not a response to Amish Mafia) is about building things–log homes, to be precise.  From the Nat Geo website: […]

10. anne and bob Gothard
    February 27, 2014, 7:13 pm

Loved the show?? Please make more. A show you can watch without all the cussing!!

11. lynne sczruba
    Arizona
    March 22, 2014, 11:46 pm

How do you contact these builders? What is the name of their company? Wonderful, love the work ethic and their pure faith.

12. Shelia Losaw
    North Carolina
    March 29, 2014, 11:15 am

Hi, I have a few questions. Would you be willing to assist me by email? Thank you. I think you all are amazing. God bless you all.

13. gary joehnk
    secaucus nj
    March 29, 2014, 11:48 am

great show , hope to see more log homes built the mennonite way on future shows

14. Deb Miller
    Kansas
    June 26, 2014, 2:23 am

Think you for a show with no drama. Love watching these guys!!!

15. Chuck Nolan
    lawton,oklahoma
    April 26, 2015, 1:13 am

How do I get in touch with these quality builders for a project I would like to have constructed?