Out Of The Woods: Catch The ‘Mick Dodge’ Finale Tonight – Nat Geo TV Blogs

Out Of The Woods: Catch The ‘Mick Dodge’ Finale Tonight

Tonight, say goodbye to the most interesting man in the woods. Mick Dodge’s weird, wild journey navigating a subsistence lifestyle in the Hoh Rainforest concludes with tonight’s finale.

On “The Harvest,” Mick embarks on an important mission to stock up on food before the impending winter months. His prize: chanterelle, a type of mushroom considered a delicacy. Rich in flavor and well-suited for drying and storing, chanterelles are golden in both color and value, fetching upwards of twenty per pound in the market.

For Mick, the window to harvest this valuable fungi is closing fast, as chanterelles appear in the Pacific Northwest for just two weeks each year. Mick is also forced to compete with mushroom hunters from around the world, who intrude on Mick’s rainforest home to cash in.

As if his hunt for sustenance wasn’t difficult enough, Mick also has to weather the dangerous elements of his forest home. An unfortunate encounter with Devil’s Club, a poisonous plant native to the Pacific Northwest, leaves Mick in pain and scrambling for an antidote. Will he recover in time to gather enough mushrooms and stock up for winter?

Follow Mick’s final journey on the season finale tonight at 10P.

Watch Mick hunt chanterelles below:

Comments

1. Karl Glessner
    Muskego
    February 11, 2014, 11:47 pm

Although this show is entertaining, I feel that most fail to see it for what it is. Frankly the show has quite a few problems with continuity and progressively became more and more preposterous. At least try to make it believable. And honestly I find it pretty unsettling that so many failed to pick up on this.

2. Steve Bagwell
    Greenville sc
    February 12, 2014, 1:40 am

I just love this man, I hope that NG will bless us with more of mick dodge. Think you mick and NG ,I we’ll be ready the next shows.

3. scott
    Olympia, Washington
    February 12, 2014, 1:11 pm

This Mick has taken you for a ride. My family has had a cabin on the Hoh since 1987. Most all the crap you show is all bullshit. Every place you have been is right next to a road. For example when mick was “healing” himself, in a glasier river, the cameraman was standing on the south fork of the Hoh bridge 300 feet from the campground!! My family has fished that exact spot for almost 30 yrs AND hunted it too! Are you goofy! Did you check out the dodge family! Will of stone Leased / rented his “cabin” from a friend of ours. ITS HIS OLD BARN!! The so called logging that is taking over his place is not even close. So this makes me wonder if ALL your shows are as full of bull as this. Our cabin is about 500yrds down river from” will of stones ” rented barn! What a joke!! All the cabin owners will talk you know. “mick” and you guys are full of it. Most ALL of whats shown is made up crap. Cant believe you guys,” mick” has fooled you all, have you talked to his relative lee dodge???

4. Lora
    Ohio
    February 12, 2014, 6:23 pm

Hope National Geographic does follow up on Mick. Love to live in the woods vicariously thru watching his adventures. Amazing how that poultice healed his foot practically overnight.

5. mallory
    missouri
    February 12, 2014, 9:34 pm

I’m really sad the season is over. It’s so interesting. I like reading books about people being forced into survival. I hope, at least, there will be many more seasons. Its the first natgeo series I’ve really enjoyed. I love mick ‘ s personality. My parents watch too.

6. Steven Rovito
    February 13, 2014, 1:29 am

I just got done watching the Will of stone episode…big problem, those were meal worms not maggots and the crabs were dead when he pulled them out of the water…shame on you Nat Geo, if you’re going to fake or recreate something at least make it believable!

7. Robert Volpe
    St. Louis
    February 15, 2014, 10:01 pm

I was enjoying the show, seeing for the first time, Feb 15. Then I watch as Mick steps out of the woods to help a French girl in a broken down Jeep on his way to town, and my bull$@?! Meter went crazy! I AM an automotive expert, and I can tell you there were several problems with his diagnosis/repair of that car. As the previous poster stated, shame on you, NatGeo, for faking a series and staging a situation to create a character.
    Ruined the show for me, that’s for sure.

8. Sue P
    Oregon
    February 16, 2014, 12:59 am

This is probably the silliest program on TV. I cannot believe NG would brodcast such crap. You broadcast stupid stuff like this and crazy people who think this is for real try to go out and live in the woods and end up dying…this is not for real! If Mick Dodge spends the winter in a tree truck then I am the Queen of England. Come on NG you can do better than this crap

9. david h
    maryville tn.
    February 18, 2014, 8:46 pm

I love mick dodge and what Nat. Geo has brought to tv.! The same people that hate on this show will watch many more thats less real, there is always some stageing in filming, but part of his story must be true. Thanks Nat. Geo please bring another season.

10. Danny
    here and there
    February 18, 2014, 11:20 pm

Was last week the finale?? :(
    Aww man I was so looking forward to watching tonight. This was my favorite show. I hope it returns. Darn, now I don’t have anything to look forward to.
    See you soon Mr. Dodge

11. Joan
    Arkansas
    February 24, 2014, 12:59 am

This is one of the most refreshing shows on t.v. So some things are staged. So what? At least it is decent. I am looking forward to more shows.

12. Chrissy
    NJ
    February 25, 2014, 8:15 pm

It’s obvious the show is staged. Who cares. Mick, the character is funny & I find the show relaxing & humorous. I think it’s a good show, even staged…..

13. Felicia
    Calhan Colorado
    April 2, 2014, 2:37 pm

I LOVE THIS GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Mike
    Peterborough
    April 25, 2014, 10:13 pm

How come all the comments about this show I crap!? It’s was a great show to watch, if you guys want to hate on a show start with the kardashians, now there is a frigging dumb show!!

15. DND
    Hi
    May 9, 2014, 6:32 pm

Sorry to see Mick go. I hope nothing bad came from the show airing. I can envision the conformances trying to place the constraints back onto Mick and those around him. Enjoy it for what it was is and to be.

16. Mark Murphy
    maple ridge bc Canada
    May 12, 2014, 10:27 pm

Bring back the show. We love it….Thank you.

17. Vaughan
    Belleville ont canada
    May 29, 2014, 9:03 pm

Hi there I enjoy your so much. I once lived in the wood then move back in the city. I hope soon to teek my wife and son to live back in the woods. I was wondering if you guys will be putting the show back on I have not see your show for three Thursday now and not been on. In less you on diff day feel free to Let me know. It help me to know there still people out there like me. Hear from you soon,

18. joanne rusaw
    June 4, 2014, 2:15 pm

Come on .. so what if its real or not. so many people and there comments. Its a fun show to watch either way. why even bother watching movies none of them are real you watch it because it takes you there and its fun. Real i love the show. Not real I still love the show its a fun hour and makes you think about things. Hope it comes back

19. Melvin Morrow
    Canada
    June 5, 2014, 9:29 pm

Joanne Rusaw -> I don’t wish for more Mick Dodges as Steve Bagwell does but, I do wish for more Joanne Rusaw’s. Feel the same way. It’s a great show for what it offers me. But the arguement of staging is real. For Example Robert Volpe -> A subtle mistake for Nat Geo but one that would definately be a deal breaker for anyone half skilled in the automotive field. Even if the battery posts corroded which i’m sure they did, it happens, but the vehicle would continue to run of the alternator, is what Rob didn’t mention to back up his opinion. And he’s right. Steven Rovito -> also has a valid argument as well as many of you. But staged or not you should never believe anything you hear and only half of what you see. My opinion the show is great for what it is and for what the optimists in the post get from it. Well for me… My wife and daughter have been camping much more often and well, thanks Nat Geo.

20. Jay boots
    Acoma pueblo, nm
    June 16, 2014, 4:04 pm

The show is entertaining, mick cracks me up! People are just jealous and haters. It’s something to sit down and watch with my family

21. Tommy Brown
    Peoplestown MO 65674
    June 23, 2014, 6:06 am

Why are there so many haters here? I really like the show a lot.

22. jenny
    NC
    June 23, 2014, 6:05 pm

Our family enjoyed the show and hope Nat Geo brings it back. I agree with some of the previous comments that there are much worse shows on TV. I liked Mick’s philosophies and attitude towards nature. The world needs more Micks.

23. Becky
    Mobile, Al.
    July 2, 2014, 11:42 am

My husband and I really enjoyed the show
    Even if part was staged to enlighten us to
    The character of Mick and and his philosophies
    Let me assure you Mick is real I have a brother
    Just like him

24. Bonita
    July 21, 2014, 6:40 am

Please do another season….we are “HOOKED ON THE HO”!! LOVE MICK!

25. Steve
    Racine, WI
    July 24, 2014, 10:51 am

If the show is real or not is not what got me interested in it. Beautiful country to run around and be filmed in.

26. Ben
    Rossville GA>
    August 6, 2014, 2:14 pm

Why do all you people have to beat him down?????Can,t we have something to believe in these days..Who cares if it,s not real??People love Batman and superman and even Macgyver..Try and let people dream and stop shattering the hopes of people..Just shows how much your own lives are lacking..Get a life and stay out of other peoples likes..

27. Frank Alday
    Los Angeles California
    August 7, 2014, 4:16 am

So some or alot of the show scenes are fake, hello!!! Most of TV shows are fake but this show with Mick Dodge is such a great, fun and clean show that the whole family can watch and learn from. As a child I grew up playing in the woods and hiking up the mountains in California, for me the wilderness and nature is where I feel at home. Now that I live in the dirty and stinky city of Los Angeles California where it is full of shootings, rape, drugs, hatred and even police corruption, I get home sick for my wilderness home. When I’m having a bad day instead of going to the corner bar for booze like many do, I head out to the woods or mountains to connect with mother earth and to reboot my soul. So I thank you Mick Dodge and N G for bringing nature and mother earth into my man made home, and please bring Mick Dodge back.

28. Kyle
    Oxford, MI
    August 11, 2014, 9:51 am

What a great show! I love the outdoors and am an amateur survivalist myself. I really hate the trolls posting comments on here, saying the show was bs. How the hell would you know? You’ve got nothing better to do than crap on things to make you feel smart and superior. Love you Mick!

29. Dwight Palmer
    Hoh Valley WA.
    August 24, 2014, 3:27 pm

Anyone know when the new season starts?

30. Addy
    united states
    August 24, 2014, 9:00 pm

To those haters, out there , I guess the reason you are very bitter is because net geo didn’t pick you. Hey Net Geo, bring back Mick Dodge, we miss him. We love his show and his sense of making all of us laugh, forget about haters, they don’t count! They need to get in touch with nature.

31. Lawrence Desilva
    reno nevada
    August 25, 2014, 12:48 pm

Well people mick dodge is a showman and of course all of the show is made up. They follow the same formula as the discovery channel follow someone around giving the audience an element of danger. I live in the high desert now myself not in a forrest as mick dodge does. Have had my times in the woods hiking and camping. All mick does is the same I do its just common sense nothing special. But thats the thing anyone can do it people just dont want to give up the comfort of city life. So are all the episodes contrived of course they are. All shows are half of the year Mick stays at his girl friends cabin. But its a good tree hugger show for all you tree huggers and naturalists.

32. Jeff
    Ky
    September 13, 2014, 8:42 am

Being a mechanic myself, the episode where Mick conveniently comes across the gal broken down on the side of the road as he comes out of the forest made me want to throw my tv through the window! First of all, your car doesn’t die because the cables are corroded. Corrosion could prevent it from starting, but doesn’t make the engine suddenly die without warning. Your engine would continue to run off the alternator. You can even take the battery out of a vehicle while running and the engine wouldn’t die unless the alternator itself was bad! And I love the way he is so confident in his diagnosis and repair that he slams the hood before even trying to start it! If I came across someone broken down on the side of the road and they’re telling me that the engine died for no reason, corroded battery terminals would be the farthest thing from my mind. Reminds me of a show I watched one time where a “mechanic” is under the hood of a lady’s broken down car while fumbling his hands on top of the engine…simulating that he’s working on something while saying to the lady “go ahead and try it”. She turns the key and the engine cranks and cranks and cranks but doesn’t start. The mechanic slams the hood and says “looks like your starter is broken”. OMG I thought I would go through the television! Not just because he’s fumbling around under the hood where the starter isn’t even located, but knowing that the starters sole purpose is to crank the engine and nothing more (which it was doing perfectly) yet he’s telling her that her starter is broken. These producers need to speak with actual mechanics before filming a scene involving a broken down vehicle. It may slip by those who are not mechanically inclined, but for those who are it drives us nuts and insults our intelligence. That scene alone was 100% proof that the show is scripted, and that is a bummer because I was actually enjoying it.

33. Alice Botsford
    Puyallup, WA
    September 29, 2014, 2:41 pm

I sure hope there’s going to be another season. I loved watching the show. It was really entertaining!

34. angela
    Ga
    September 30, 2014, 10:43 pm

What people fail to see is when recording a reality show many scenes have to be recreated and they do throw in a few fake scenes to spice things up. So to the mechanics giving their “professional” take on the girl in the jeep, please put a sock in it!! Many people love this show. Go knock Honey boo Boo or The Kardashians. Those shows are appalling. At least Mick Dodge is a refreshing show for a crowd who loves nature and doesn’t care for all the other trash shows on tv.

35. Dell
    ma.
    October 13, 2014, 11:30 am

I love
    Nat Geo , this show makes me sick, there is nothing realistic about it.Not to me or anyone I know that enjoys Nat Geo programs.What are you people thinking? I am a grandmother who has camped with my children and grandchildren for fifty years.Please stop , not everyone believes this bull nor thinks you should get away with paying someone big money to try and see if the viewers are dumb enough to believe this crap. I won’t be watching Nat Geo if its back on next season.

36. Norm
    upstate new york
    November 15, 2014, 3:16 am

If people can stop over analyzing the show they should keep there comments to themselves and stop watching and go try to entertain themselves….pathetic !!!!

37. shar
    maine
    December 11, 2014, 7:25 pm

I personally love the show real or fake, who cares there is nothing on tv that isnt doctored, nothing is real, come on people if you didnt like the show change the station, why stay and watch and then come to. complain, Micks show was great, entertaining, funny he is a wiseman, i bet all you haters may have learned a thing or two… we all have opinions and mine is to bring on some more Mr. Mick i miss the show and love all the NatGeo shows, keep them comimg

38. Steve Holland
    fl
    December 13, 2014, 11:53 pm

Love the show he’s funny bring it back pls.

39. Rodge Dodge
    santa cruz
    December 18, 2014, 10:38 pm

mick dodge is a fake gilliagan….sorry lil buddy.

40. BRENDA LEBLANC
    December 19, 2014, 11:06 pm

editing people. mick messing up his foot. some things not
    making sense. the camera dude getting hurt and mick and
    will of stone getting the guy to the road to get help and a ride
    out.loosing his clothes and getting new ones made. bartering
    finding his different areas for his supplies. going to town
    you damn well know that with all the man does on foot in the woods. there has to be abit of editing going on. the man is living life on his terms, we are along for a hell of a ride.

41. henry sareyka
    January 14, 11:46 am

I live in Florida, I take my dog for a walk in the morning through a field and experience nature. In all its beauty. I wish that all people would realize whatgod has blest us with. I watch a lot of realty tv. All the Alaskan shows. Mick dodge doesn’t expect us all to live like him, but just preserve what wilderness we have left.

42. amy
    coos bay
    January 25, 2:15 pm

Who the heck cares if it’s not real…look at all the violence and sex on tv, here is a show you can laugh and have fun with it’s so entertaining in a good way…I have such a crush on Mick I will be really up set not to have a date with him every tues..please don’t take him off..My family just loves him…..

43. Amy Rugh
    January 25, 2:28 pm

Well at least if you are going to take it off,,,PLEASE make copies of every show available for sale,,,We just don’t know what we are going to do with out him…and having some of his shows to watch at home will at least be something..With all that crap on tv I can’t believe you are doing this…I had all my friends watching too and they all loved him….LOVELOVELOVE him

44. betty geddings and ned
    turbeville,sc
    January 27, 11:09 am

We enjoyed the show, it was decent, and entertaining. Sorry it was cancelled. Mick was very enteresting. Thank you.

45. Sharon
    Gardner ,mass
    January 27, 8:48 pm

I love micks show, in every way ! I can’t wait to watch it I even love the reruns! Sharon

46. Chris
    January 30, 1:59 am

People are funny complaining about the dead car battery scene, give me a brake a little showmanship never hurt. If that is your biggest gripe with the show, you better go back to watching cartoons.

47. Heather
    Florida, USA
    February 6, 12:51 am

People can gripe & hate on the show all they want to. It mostly just made me homesick (I’m from Washington). I miss the waterfalls, lush land, mountains…. but I surely don’t miss the snow. As for his dorky persona, it seemed pretty dang normal to me.

48. Sharon
    February 10, 1:46 am

I enjoyed the show. A show that is clean and a family can watch. Fake yes. There is no real Mick Dodge. He is an actor by the name of Ben Murphy unless they are twins. Look up Ben Murphy and see his older pictures and tell me if that is not Mick Dodge clean cut. The eyes and face are the same. Why do people have to tell fibs. Just be honest. Sad.

49. Joe
    Wisconsin
    February 12, 7:53 pm

I agree that the show has a great backdrop and all the people that live in the woods and trees are entertaining but you shouldn’t try to sale this as reality. I grew up in the mountains of Idaho and also lived really close to where the show is filmed…I guess you might convince city folk that it is real but not any outdoorsmen. Love the master archer that can shoot across the river….so can anybody that’s ever shot a bow!

50. Rod sumi
    Hi.
    February 15, 11:05 pm

Mick is quite a man,no matter the negative comments. Nat geo Did a great job. let go of the negative, grasp the positive at least the kids don’t have to see killing! “Me either” would like to see more of Mick Dodge I’ve been there I know what it’s like good story! I did my wilderness

51. Jesse
    Kennewick, Wa.
    February 21, 11:44 pm

Real or fake, I enjoyed the show. No violence, rehab or jail time here. Just fresh outdoor living. I’d continue to watch, if it was not ending.

52. donna
    georgia
    February 27, 8:15 pm

My family loves the show. It is a clean family friendly program, something which we need more of. Some of the commercials on even decent shows reflect how sick most programs on TV are now. Thanks Nat Geo for the show, hope it returns next season.

53. Laurie Raven
    Kansas
    March 3, 12:11 am

Read this and get the truth straight from Mick! http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20140119/NEWS/301199998

54. patrick
    March 6, 1:06 pm

does anybody know where to find those tire tread tiles his friend used to make sandals i’ve been looking for ages

55. Calesa Remington
    March 10, 7:06 pm

I sit here crying. Mick has been canceled. I am so broken hearted. Please tell me it is not true.

56. bill bergman
    orange county, ca
    March 11, 6:06 am

I thoroughly enjoyed the legend of mick dodge. Much more interesting than all the alligator hunting shows, or the other redneck presentations. I’m also tired of all the car builders shows. Mick’s show is refreshing.

57. Melissa Szudy
    March 11, 8:09 pm

Who cares if it’s fake, it is entertainment people and better than anything else on tv… GO Mick!!!

58. Craig Lightfoot
    Florence, S.C.
    March 17, 8:28 pm

The show is awesome. I’m an African American who absolutely loved this show! Mick is the man……….

59. Rick Kunce
    March 29, 10:15 am

I don’t understand all the hate against the show! If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. I myself find it, a break from all the B.S. we now call prime time… Look forward to another season!

60. Chris May
    Vancouver Island, BC
    March 30, 10:45 pm

YOUSH!!!!

61. tim nunn
    Adamstown, Pa
    April 2, 6:44 am

I don’t care if its fake or not, i get a kick out of Mick, you go dude, screw all them bleeding heart’s out there

62. Love Mick Dodge
    NH
    April 2, 11:40 am

My wife and and I Loved this show.we would even watch the reruns.we hope NG continues to put more of this type of show on TV. Take care Mick!

63. Matthew Martin
    Stockton,CA
    April 10, 3:37 pm

Everyone loves mick dodge so lets keep his show on the air. His tv show is the real deal thing. ‘Yoish” Mick dodge is the Man! Lets kick all the fakes shows off the air and keep mick dodge on the air.

64. Curtis Craig
    Fort Worth, Tx.
    April 18, 11:59 pm

To all you haters, Big Shit, so some of it was staged. It’s a show ! At least it was entertaining and wasn’t some sleazy scum bag show about drughead whores. NG, Put it back on; You rock Mick !

65. Robin Scheff
    Anchorage, Alaska
    April 19, 4:22 am

I’m so behind the times. I just discovered this show about Mick and I Just love him, all of them out there. I’m so sad to learn that this show was cancelled. I love the show and Mick completely. Can’t wait to see all of them. I’m very upset it is finished. I wanted to go on the journey with him through the rain forest for many years to come.

66. Ethan Janzen
    Ontario Canada
    May 10, 6:04 pm

This show has inspired me to go live the way that Mick does and to get away from the stress of the new world with a 9-5 job, I don’t think that it is worth it to work until you are 65(depending on when you start work) and make money(pieces of paper/plastic) and pay to live, I can’t be the only one who finds it redicoulaious to work, when you could be living off the land and living life on your own terms and living FREE! Life is to short to sit in front of a computer screen, and do paper work. We need to realize that life can be fun and colourful, and not bland and boring. And I can’t believe the beauty of nature and the animals within it, I have respect for the earth and life on it, that is why I have been inspired to experience it for myself and it has been one of the most beautiful experiences of my life. I hope that all of you will realize that the earth is the only thing that we have and you want to live in a house, apartment, building and pay to live, No I want to get out and experience the world outside of traffic and stress and live FREE!

67. Kevin
    May 10, 7:28 pm

I wish they would bring the show back.

68. Christine
    Arizona
    June 4, 1:48 am

I have read all these blogs and my husband and I both watch Mick Dodge. I don’t care if it is staged or not. It is a fun show to watch. We used to live on the Olympic Pennisula and love seeing what we used to see everyday. If it weren’t for the snow and our age we would still be there. Mick is really a great character to show everyone how really beautiful the Hoh is. Maybe it will make some people consider what we are doing to our wonderful planet. I really hope this isn’t the last we see of Mick.

69. JON
    nashville tn
    June 9, 12:26 pm

love mick dodge and the show. the show isn’t fake either the people that says it is are the hipster and sissys that are scared of spider s and snakes that wouldn’t make it one day on their own in the woods,and would wither away and die if the didn’t have kroger to buy their groceries. pishhhh

70. Mb99
    Rural Manitoba
    June 10, 11:58 am

Love Mick and the show, if you enjoy Mick,and are dissapointed it’s cancelled. Try Survivor Man. Les stroud is another enjoyable character. He films himself in survival situations.

71. Ed
    June 28, 5:03 pm

Must be nice to have an inholding homestead to film a show on.

72. Jason
    July 2, 1:32 pm

No fear people!! from micks facebook page May 15, 2015 –
    “Yoish!
    Will there be a new season? Absolutely! It is happening now. It is called spring and i am “dodging” and “springing” my through three habitats, seen on this map. There is the “sitting walls”, the “open fenced lands” and the “gated wild”.

Perhaps you are asking about the telly vision season. I have no idea. You will have to ask Nat Geo. It is there show and it hard to keep up with me. After all i am “dodge”.

Will there be more to come through the electronic path ways into the modern sitting world? Absolutely! Some amazing things going on. (mick)”