Justice Is Served: New Series ‘Kentucky Justice’ Premieres Sunday

From moonshine to murder, Harlan County, Kentucky has tackled all types of crime. A capital of corruption during the mining boom, the county was hit hard by the economic slump, inviting a new kind of crime to take over – prescription drug dealing. On Kentucky Justice, Sheriff Marvin J. Lipfird steps up to reclaim Harlan County from its recent crime wave, targeting everyone from corner drug dealers to city officials in his quest to save his town.

From his Chief of Police father to his deputy brother, law enforcement is a family business for Sheriff Lipfird. A 20-year police force veteran, Lipfird has been sheriff of Harlan County for nearly eight years, spending his tenure building a team of skilled deputies to help him reel in the county’s drug problem. In such a small town, almost every member of his force has arrested someone they know – even their own family. But despite the difficulties of the job, Lipfird is immensely devoted to his small Appalachian town, devoting his life to cleaning up the community.

With illegal drugs taking the place of mining jobs, Harlan County needs help. Can Sheriff Lipfird and his team of locals get the county back on its feed?

Watch the premiere of Kentucky Justice on Sunday at 10P.

Comments

1. Free Polazzo
    USA
    December 14, 2013, 8:51 pm

I hope this isn’t another “war on drugs” show wihout explaining that the laws that were passed making drugs illeagal are the reason the Sheriff has to lock up his friends. Saving the town cannot be done with a Miliary mindset. Miliary destroys towns which is why they go fight overseas, mostly. Now the local sherifs around the USA have military gear give to them so they can do a “real” war against their own citizens.

Will the show show rehabiliation services? Will it show economic development practiices? Will there be techincal training in HS and Technicl Collges shown? Or is this another explointation of poor people who self medicate with drugs?

NGC is sure not like the magazine I love so much. It seems to focus on the “animals eating each other” and not much else. I”ll give this a shot and pray that the political side is also shown.

Does anyone else worry that being Sherrif is a “family business”? When did the USA become filled with Royalty who pass on their position and power to their chlldren? When will NGC do a show on that?

2. C. Nagle
    Hereford, AZ
    December 15, 2013, 4:02 pm

I am truly disappointed in NGEO for supporting this program. Please do not promote or air “diggers” because it encourages people with no knowledge or respect for our past to go around looking/removing/destroying our history.

3. Valentina
    Los Angeles
    December 15, 2013, 10:52 pm

How can the son of the Sheriff dress sloppy and be overweight? Did he even get training or did his daddy just hire him on?

4. dd
    harlan
    December 17, 2013, 5:43 am

the cops pay people to do their work for them in harlan ky

5. Elsie
    ky
    December 17, 2013, 5:41 pm

Not only does his son work for him, so does his sister. And as far as informants go, they do what they do in exchange for lighter sentences or no sentences at all. And what’s bad, even while they’re working for the sheriff’s department, some of them are still buying and/or selling drugs for themselves. Some are still breaking into people’s homes and stealing. If and when they’re caught it’s court date after court date put off because they’re working with the sheriff’s department. If they’re going to use these druggies and thieves as informants, then by all means they should have to keep their eyes on them 24/7.

6. Harlan County Citizen
    Harlan
    December 18, 2013, 2:04 pm

First off Valentina your exactly right I know him personally and his daddy did just hire him on with no training. Second they make Marvin (the sheriff) out to be innocent but If I can find it I will post the link for everyone to see where he was in trouble because half a million dollars went missing from his office, that only he had access to.

Third they talk about shootouts but I have lived here all my life and heard of maybe 2 shootouts in the last 20 years. Also these rats (confidential informants) are being rats to get time off their sentence. This is illegal if you use a confidential informant, it has to be voluntary and they can not have a drug charge on their background.

finally I really doubt the same person being sheriff after the election coming up. Unless vote buying continues in Harlan. Also the person they had the “shootout” with in the first episode has had the support of almost the entire town, trying to get something done about the way he was treated.

So when you watch this show. Just thought you should know the way things really work in Harlan County.

7. AD
    CT
    December 18, 2013, 9:32 pm

Who are these lunatics? … They are scary dumb… Scary and dumb I should say… Did you see where they kicked in the door? Do they having training? Have they watched an episode of Cops? Bunch of yahoos … Then they were all smoking cigarettes …did the guy they were arresting even have a gun? Why did all the cops wait in the car while the “no knock” warrant was being served … Yokels, idiots

8. Harlan County Citizen
    December 22, 2013, 10:42 pm

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/01/22/2486417/audit-finds-37000-missing-from.html just thought you should know what really goes on in the Harlan Courthouse

9. Wow
    SEKY
    December 23, 2013, 12:47 am

Harlan Citizen. You must be a dumb ass… 37,500 is no where close to a half million dollars…go back to school and get off the crack

10. letcher county
    Letcher co Ky
    December 23, 2013, 1:04 am

I just saw my first show. There was a woman who had 3 kids with her and the deputy looked so hard and was so compassionate towards the woman who was getting arrested. I can appreciate his humanity and compassion but being a single dad of 3 children 13 and younger, I see this compassion as part of the problem. My children are victims of the drug epidemic in Eastern Ky. Their mom is a addict of prescription drugs. These women and men get all the chances in the world and so few of them change. I may be jaded to their plight but these children need to be removed as soon as possible from this type of situation. Maybe being removed will allow them a chance not to reproduce the addicted parents bad choices.

11. Bryan
    illinois
    December 23, 2013, 4:00 am

Show looks so fake

12. Forrest price
    Locust grove , ga.
    December 29, 2013, 10:42 pm

I’m sure Kentucky has seat belt law it bad to see
    Sheriff & other officers not wearing belt
    Hope they don’t issue tickets when they aren’t
    wearing Watching show Kentucky justice

13. jon
    ky
    January 7, 2014, 5:38 am

lets all just donate a grand apiece to whomever is opposing the sheriff y’all know its election time in ky send him back up the holler he bought his way out of next episode ex sheriff caught slingin in cawood

14. sissy b
    The Gorge
    January 7, 2014, 6:05 am

I enjoy watching on tv that harlan county has such outstanding detectives on their sheriffs department. It’s a shame that the police aren’t the ones being detectives, pull someone over for speeding, find a joint , or have old fines and the next thing you know they are wired up. Show us some real police work, dont use rats ( confidential informants) to do it for you. It’s kinda easy to know the CI’s when their right on tv doing it then seeing them at BP the next day wearing the same clothes they had on when they were on tv telling on people. UNREAL! Where is Raylan? Is he ever gonna catch Boyd Crowder?

15. Raymond
    Millersburg,MI
    January 19, 2014, 11:15 pm

Why hasnt Kentucky Justice been on? Its been off for over 2 weeks now.

16. Jerry white
    Columbus oh
    January 22, 2014, 4:33 am

I commend this guys for doing there jobs Correctly And with honor. Unlike a lot of the Police Department And police shows that I’ve viewed and know of These guys actually care and seem like decent guy Unlike some of the other heartless police out there They can be an act like a criminal there selfs

17. KY citizen
    January 24, 2014, 11:45 pm

It is a show all shows are mostly fake. They have to make stuff up to get higher ratings and make money.

18. t.hack
    Nasty Comments
    January 25, 2014, 12:47 am

Sounds like a bunch of sour individuals that may have been caught themselves in some kind of criminal activity.
    I bet you should worry more about your own behavior, and let these police officers do their jobs.

19. Tony McCoy
    Huntington WV
    January 25, 2014, 6:20 pm

I really enjoyed this show and hope there will be a season 2. I lived in Harlan from June 2012-February 2013 and this show depicted the way Harlan truly is. This show did not exploit Harlan in negative manner. There is a crisis of substance abuse Harlan and the state of Kentucky. There are not many job opportunities right now due to the fact that our President has destroyed the coal mining industry. I personally liked the fact that this show mentioned how bad the economy is in that area due to the coal mining industry. And to all the people that said this show is fake no it is not. And instead of writing negative comments just simply change the channel. I hope these gentlemen were paid to be on this television show. They have families to support also. I would absolutely watch season 2 and know many people that would tune in also. I hope NG or there producers read these comments and know they had a hit with this show. As far as the Sheriff employing his son. What is the big deal with that? Most small towns do employ family members. And anyone with any intelligence knows that his son did have to have some sort of training. They showed the training in a episode where his son was tazed. Congrats to the men on the way they conducted themselves. Calling people out for using filthy language in front of small children good for them. And I would like to see where the law states that a Confidential Informant cannot have a criminal drug past. It is hard to believe that information. Like you Jerry I commend these guys.

20. Alex
    February 1, 2014, 1:07 pm

Love this show! Sheriff Lipfird seems like a good guy and he’s built himself a great team. Hope for season two!

21. pepe delph
    ky
    February 7, 2014, 6:07 pm

the SHERIFF talks about himself & how good he is. as for rest of posses way out of shape smoking. however its seems that good old boy act is alive in the back woods.

22. Ken Pellow
    Tampa, Fl
    February 14, 2014, 10:54 pm

The show is definitely fake! I saw the show about the arson. The K9 Sgt. Is in pursuit and the suspect is fleeing and eluding. Here what comes next……..suspect jumps out of his car and runs in the woods. Sgt. and wanna be attack dog goes chasing. Know way that douche bag going to run from a dog, nope! Sgt. Catches up with suspect, suspect pulls KNIFE! Did I say KNIFE! Sgt. Gets scared and pulls his dog back, what? You sick that dog on him and if he stabs or makes a motion that he’s going to stab you or your dog then you pull your fricking GLOCK out and shoot that douche bag! Never saw anything like that before, you never back down like that. Then the suspect double backs to his car and gets away, what? Keystone cops at its best. What a joke. Never going to watch this junk again. Actually the show is on the wrong network, it should be on tru t.v. cuz everything on their is fake too. Disappointed.

23. Mattchoo
    Endicott, NY
    February 14, 2014, 11:11 pm

Watching tonight’s show;Feb 14th, 10p EST. I like the show, watched it a handful of times so far. Like the Sheriff, for the most part. But in tonight’s episode, the one Sergeant there…what the hell was he thinking!!? He had the suspect in sight! Was talkin to the guy even; and he freakin backed down…The bad guy apparently drew a knife on the sergeant, who had his K-9 unit with him..and he backed off; I couldn’t believe that man. What a candy ass. He has a knife, but you have a gun! And he backed away. Control that situation right then and there…Instead of costing all them manhours, and time, in something that you could have handled sooner; coulda nipped it in a bud quick. So freaking disappointing. And then overall, just poor situational awareness; he for example, was told by the Sheriff to go check out the drain pipe when in pursuit if this same bad guy. And he doesn’t have his hand on his gun, he’s not in an aggressive position, he comes thru the other side of the pipe; in his thinking, this guy could have knifed him, violently, coming out the other side of that water pipe.-and he just walks out, walking his dog…That’s what it looks like; his posture looks like he just, ya know, walking the dog..Sunday afternoon. Rather than a good defensive stance, ready for anything coming his way. And mind you, like I say, all these cops, from different departments even, spending their time, on a situation that should have been handled hrs before.

In closing I like the Sheriff, and his professional behavior; like when he called the fellow detective from the other County; asking to “work with the suspect on some charges he had pending.. back in that County.” That was good; and ultimately him talking to the guy..he had some real wise, and powerful things to say to the now-caught suspect. He was just speaking the Truth to him; yes he got somethimg in return…But that, as we all know, is how the world works, and its all good that way. God show ultimately..but I had to express my disgust for that Segeant..He needs to make up for that poor display.

24. Mattchoo
    Endicott, NY
    February 14, 2014, 11:18 pm

Sissy, great comments! I was laughing..and I totally agree though with your take on them and the CIs..right on ..

25. Terry Raines
    Corbin, KY
    February 15, 2014, 1:16 am

I had the pleasure of meeting sheriff Marvin while I was fixing the justice center’s garage door he, as well as his staff are real class acts I’m a big fan of the show and I mostly enjoy the way the sheriff treats not only his men with respect but the suspects as well. Keep up the good work Harlan Coubty.

26. John Keynton
    Wall township NJ
    February 25, 2014, 3:36 pm

I had the pleasure of meeting Marvin J Lipfird. I am one of the biggest fans of Kentucky justice and hopefully have new episodes soon.

27. Farrahan short
    Florence ky
    March 21, 2014, 11:20 pm

I got reading some of these comments about the show being fake as well as the deputies not doing their jobs right. I was born and raised in harlan county and Marvin had been very close friends of my family since before I was born. This show is far from fake. The deputies do their jobs very good. They all have respect from everyone in te county. I am proud to say I am from harlan county. Everything you see on there is exactly how harlan county is and what it’s about. I know every person and had went to school with a few from the deputies and their familes to some of the criminals. Just because you don’t think anyplace can be laid back but still have deputies that everyone respects doesn’t mean there isn’t places still like that around. Harlan county is the only place I have ever lived that I have loved so much. So before you start dissing the show. You might want to get the view from the inside instead of throwing stones when you clearly don’t have any idea about what your talking about.

28. Liberal Canadian
    Toronto
    April 26, 2014, 10:14 pm

……this is what’s wrong with America. Within the first 5 minutes the chief openly admitted he polices the poor and the rich love and respect him. Alaskan State Tropper is a way better show!

29. Kentucky Gal
    Ashland, KY
    May 3, 2014, 6:59 pm

I recently discovered this show and I’m hooked! I love it!!!! We need more episodes! I’d love to see the show expand to other counties in KY! The drug problem is out of control in this state.

30. Mike Weirich
    twin lakes wis.
    May 13, 2014, 2:51 pm

Just wanted to it’s a great show keep up the good work.i hope a show
    Great show I hope they keep it on tv, be safe!

31. Indiana Boy
    INDIANA
    May 27, 2014, 4:06 pm

Please bring back show for Season 2. I have a brother in law who is a Sheriff’s deputy and they deserve a lot more credit. They put their life on the line every day with America’s drug problem…prescription or illegal. Great show!!

32. Andrea
    North Carolina
    May 28, 2014, 2:27 am

The recent episode Drug Bust/Shoot Out ….everyone got to see how actually having to pull and fire when serving a warrant can effect a police officer …Mitch did a wonderful job and I hope he knows that regardless he doesn’t know how many lives he did and could have saved….. although it effected him by doing his job as he did there might be a child somewhere that could of accidently mistaken a pill for candy or some young first time user who made a different decision when they found that Harlan County means business …all of Harlan County’s police department is very impressive and I love that they are not afraid to include God in their daily lives because that is one thing you don’t see often if at all on reality T.V…..I do have one question …I would like to know what all of Harlan County’s Police Department thinks of the show on FX Justified ? Thanks Guys for being “REAL” officers and hopefully some other officers in other states and small towns can learn a little something from your show………. God Bless .

33. Miz Melissa
    Indiana
    June 4, 2014, 3:01 am

Wow, I’m amazed at the ignorance of some of these comments. As a person with deep family ties in Hazard , I can assure you these people are being very realistic . Further more I lived many years in a small town in Indiana where I have witnessed the Town Marshall go into the town bar to serve a warrant ,( while a TEAM OF STATE TROOPERS wait outside ) he’d sit down and order a coke and chat with the suspect explaining why he was gonna walk’em out when they finished their beer,so as to not cause them or their mama/wife extra embarrassment. I lived there 7 years and while he unarmed many suspects , I never heard of him pulling is gun ever. He did pepper spray a guy once for stabbing his own brother with a pitchfork , while in the Marshalls hardware store, but he did that as a public as the guy was a dumbass and general menace to the town. So sometimes in small towns law & order just looks a little different , but can be more effective than “pulling glocks” especially because everybody knows who and what they are dealing with. So shut up and watch and learn , or change your channel . Kudos to the Kentucky Justice Team !

34. Miz Melissa
    Indiana
    June 4, 2014, 3:04 am

sorry pepper spraying was a public service.

35. jim bunting
    Toronto. Ontario, Canada/
    June 28, 2014, 7:56 am

I can see that the program is somewhat “scripted ” and the sheriff is trying to do the best that he can, with the people that he has on the payroll, but some of what I saw was very unprofessional. I assumed that he was a ex USMC type, due to his use of certain expressions and that bit where they all stood in a circle and prayed together. That made me cringe.

I served for 30 years , in the Canadian Forces, as a military police officer, so I know what proper training and attitude SHOULD look like. This isn’t it, not by a long shot.

In Canada, in order to be a chief of Police, you must have attended a Police Academy, and have at least 15 years of being a supervising Police senior officer. No Police chief in Canada is elected, at all. From the smallest town to the biggest city, the hiring standards in Canada are the same, across the entire country.

Jim b. Toronto.

36. Sandy
    Texas
    August 12, 2014, 9:48 pm

Being from a small town in West Texas and working with law enforcement, I understand the things these deputies are up against. Everyone thinks they can do whatever job better, and love to judge the lawmen. I enjoy this show, appreciate the risks law enforcement take and hope that a 2nd season comes on SOON!……..

37. JJ
    September 9, 2014, 6:43 pm

I LOVE KY Justice. Yes, it does depict the real lives of people in the hills of KY. We have family in the Harlan, Hazard and Corbin areas. There is a terrible drug problem; coal mines are closed; there is high unemployment…..and Sheriff Lipferd is trying to keep people safe. Informants are in every city and you can’t keep tabs on them 24/7. So what if he has family working for Harlan Co? That’s part of life; It’s all in who you know–no matter what the job is. Sadly it looks like NGC has not renewed the show for another season. Ads for a new show called “Southern Justice” have been running for a few weeks…..But our vote is to renew “Kentucky Justice” and quit changing your line-up, NGC!

38. JJ
    September 9, 2014, 7:02 pm

39. MD
    AZ
    October 10, 2014, 10:54 pm

I’ve watched this show and seeing some of the comments that people have made how they make it out that this sheriffs office is lazy because it uses confidential informants makes me laugh. They obviously don’t realize that EVERY single law enforcement agency uses Confidential Informants and yes they do get benefits out of it whatever it may be. This sheriff seems like he cares about his community.

40. betty mitchell
    Kentucky
    March 3, 2015, 10:48 am

What a farce this show has been. Today March 3 2015 sheriff Lipfird has stolen drug money cars and used his office for such things as buying dating services and on and on. How awful!!! this all was reported in the LexHerald paper!! I eatched this show!!!!!!!hope he rots in jail.

41. Assassin
    Akron ohio
    July 3, 2015, 3:47 pm

First of all you inbreds that made the comments about the deputy who wouldn’t send his dog after a suspect with a knife obviously have no common sense whatsoever , nor know what your talking about so you shouldn’t comment at all! You think you sound smart and educated but it’s obvious to others that you are not! When a k9 police officer has a situation where a suspect has a weapon and he has a k9 officer , who unlike people is fearless , the human officer has to make a call as to if he wants to send his dog ( and friend I might add) into a situation where the probability of his dog getting hurt, wounded or killed is very high . If you would send your best friend and partner to his death just to catch someone they could catch later more safely then you my friend are a dumbass and should never be trusted with a animal or a person as far as thats concerned. Just shut your ignorant mouth and let the adults talk!

42. Assassin
    Akron ohio
    July 3, 2015, 4:20 pm

Also it’s funny how law abiding citizens have no hate or fear of the police, it’s only the criminals that hate and fear the police because they have to hide their evil LAW BREAKING ways . Most criminals are low life , no job having , lazy, drug using screw offs who can’t make it in society as a productive tax paying citizen who cares about their community, criminals only care about themselves . If you didn’t break the law then your life might be a little better off and you wouldn’t have to watch over your shoulders. Your like children , you want to have your way and not abide by the rules which are in place to protect all citizens not just one person . It’s also funny how you same haters of police who bash us all the time are so relieved to see us when your own ass is on the line and you need us to help you! See it all the time. What’s the difference between police and military ? They are both there to enforce those laws and rules in place and if it wasn’t for them then you wouldn’t have a safe place to live . The only reason you have hate for us is because you know your wrong!! If your little sister or mom was raped and killed you’d want justice wouldn’t you? Who do you think brings that justice when it’s possible to find the persons responsible? Ignorance breeds ignorance, so please don’t breed!

43. Bill g
    Kentucky
    August 20, 6:59 pm

This show is fake and rehearsed. Thats how they get all the camera angles vs watchin cops which was mostly real. I was paid $100 for 1 day to act on the show as an arestee from a craigslist ad asking to do a rv commercial for a local bank. When i arrived they had me sign an agreement and told me about the eeal tv show and my part. We did several angle and several shots for the chase. In between shoots we ate lunch and had snacks and water breaks. Only reason im disclosing this is we need more real television nat geo used to be educational….. what happened