Would You Tame A Wild Mustang for $200,000?

Every year, the world’s most fearless wranglers gather to compete in the Mustang Million. Their task: in only four months, tame and transform a wild mustang into a show horse, with a cash prize of $1 million for the lucky winners.

Mustang Millionaire, an all-new show on Nat Geo WILD, follows five trainers as they risk their livelihoods to compete in the cutthroat event. In four months, the contestants must overcome nearly insurmountable odds, from out-bidding each other for the most promising mustangs to breaking and training the wild animals, concluding in a choreography competition where their horses must complete daring stunts.

Among the five contenting cowboys and cowgirls on Mustang Millionaire, several have nearly gone broke to compete for the prize. Down to their last dollar and mortgaged to the hilt, the trainers risk injury to themselves, strained relationships with their family and their professional reputation, staking it all on winning a piece of the Mustang Million.

On Mustang Millionaire, only one horse – and one skilled trainer – can win it all. Would you risk your life and livelihood for a once-in-a-lifetime prize?

Catch the Mustang Millionaire premiere Saturday at 10P.

Comments

1. judie dantico
    December 14, 2013, 12:29 pm

Love the concept of making mustangs into useable mounts. I always enjoy watching the process from different people’s perspectives. Not just any “horse trainer” can succeed. It takes a special talent to transform a mustang and I am glad to see the prize money has grown to attract unknown participants.

2. Bebe
    South Carolina
    December 15, 2013, 6:07 pm

I love the exposure that NatGeo is giving to the endangered American Mustang. These exquisite and unique horses are available for adoption via the Bureau of Land Management. I adopted my Mustang, Sage Soul, as a 2-year old. He was untouched. He is the most phenomenal, intelligent, gentle, curious horse I’ve ever known. They bond to you like no other breed. Best return on investment I’ve ever made. These horses need to be preserved, not managed to extinction. Bring their situation to light, but please don’t hype it up for purely entertainment purposes. Show their good side. Thank you. Bebe Lane and Sage

3. Sally Vivian
    Lindsay,Ontario CANADA
    December 15, 2013, 8:18 pm

I wouldn’t tame a wild mustang. HOWEVER, I would love to view my dear friends son, Bobby Kerr as he competes. UNFORTUNATELY it is not being aired in CANADA!!!!!! We are extremely disappointed!!!!!

4. Lauren Vincent
    December 16, 2013, 3:24 pm

I would train, and have trained. Participated in the Mustang Million myself with a 4 yr old mare. I am a full time employee outside the home and train in the afternoons till dark during the summer. The experience is always expanding my training knowledge which is not professionally learned. Common sense makes a lot of my training and no I may not be a competitor on the professional level, but the rewards are just the same! Gentle methods ALWAYS gain the trust of the mustang, and being fair with them…they expand your “bag of tools” used for training. I don’t think you have to be professional, just have to have some key qualities….patience, love, kind hands, consistency along with the ability to be flexible!

5. nancy from shadow hills
    los Angeles
    December 16, 2013, 6:57 pm

1000s’ of these wild mustangs are sold by the b.l.m. for slaughter for human Consumption! Rest go to auction and are bought by killer buyers .again end up at slaughterhouse. Yes, foals too and yes, horrific death to say the least. too bad no show about tHe people who fight to end this atrocity . 1000s Of racehorses from tracks also end up on a plate. Yes this is all true.for info google international fundfor horses.org.as with most sins against innocents, its all about $. Watch the show but spread the truth, please!

6. Laura
    VA
    December 17, 2013, 1:50 pm

Wylene is cruel, what she did to her Mustang was the ‘old way,’ and it’s been discarded by most horse trainers. You don’t ‘lay a horse down’ when you first meet them, you only do that (and NOT by tying up a leg!) after establishing a loving bond with them. Would you love and want to stay with and obey a man who raped and beat you on the first date? That’s basically what she did. Then, when he wouldn’t ‘settle’ in her trailer (shame on him, right? because he’s been trailered since he was a foal, and should be totally cool with it by now, right? oh yeah, no, he hasn’t, that’s probably only the 2nd or 3rd time he’s been in one! of course he’s upset, he doesn’t know how to balance himself…not to mention she left a dangling lead rope on for him to step on), she tied him up tight to it, HOBBLED HIS FRONT LEGS and let him exhaust himself into submission. This woman has no idea what she’s doing, she’s in the wrong century and her horse should have been removed from her by the people who ran the competition, the BLM (ha ha, yeah, right!), or her local humane law enforcement (any of the crew should have reported her).

The man who used his ceiling as a ‘snubbing post’ was also evil. My gosh, watching that poor horse pull and throw himself down, it was awful. What is he looking to accomplish? How does doing that help at all in creating a willing partner?

The older man with the mustache and the girl wearing the cowboy hat helmet seemed to be doing things the ‘right’ way…and seemed much further along in their training.

I stopped watching this program 24 minutes in, I will not watch the rest of the episodes.

…and think about this, if these ‘trainers’ will let this much be shown on camera, what are they doing when the cameras AREN’T around?!?!?

7. Annie
    Oregon
    December 20, 2013, 12:01 pm

I’d really like to know how the contestants are chosen for this show. Are their training methods taken into account at all? Did anyone else notice how skinny Wylene’s horses in the background were? Does anyone follow up on the animal care these contestants give?

8. Catrn
    December 20, 2013, 1:08 pm

I read all the comments posted and Laura, I agree with you 100% on the cruelty used in these trainers. I made myself watch the whole program to make sure I was not over reacting. Something is horribly wrong when the program made me cry through most of it. Laura, if you are reading this, I contacted National Geographic to give my opions. Also, I contacted BLM who says to report any known abuse of mustangs. They were both involved in this program, so I am sure I will never hear back from them. I too, adopted two mustangs back in the early ’70s. I knew nothing about horses but wanted so badly to help save at least a couple of these magnificent creatures. It took me around 4 months to gain my mustangs trust and “love”. They were the most beautiful, gentle, loving, giving, caring, intelligent animals I have had the privilege of sharing my life with. I refuse to watch anymore programs and I wish this would stop, just for “entertainment”. It is so sad that the peril of the wild mustang has not changed much in the 30 something years that I have been keeping track of them.

9. Debby
    Indiana
    December 22, 2013, 1:31 am

I’ve wanted a mustang all my life. As a child I would dream about owning my own mustang and told my grand parents and mother and dad I would one day own a wild mustang and build up a horse farm just for horse racing but the mustang would be my prize horse to tame and ride as my very own gem. My dream have not com true yet I’m 50 as of yesterday but I am still trying to figure out how to grasp that dream and die one day proud of my dreams becoming a reality, and to open up jobs for people who need jobs and in that killing 2 birds with one stone. As I’m still alive this also means your never ever to old to dream and bring that dream full circle so one day when I do die it would of been worth living life struggling to make my dreams come true. I don’t know much about horses but I’m learning little by little about horses for the most part I have away with animals that’s a blessing. I believe love and slow loving tenderness and calm will be rewarded in trust and one day the mustang will allow me to ride it on it’s time level not mine.

10. kelli barnett
    Danville Ca
    December 22, 2013, 7:05 pm

One word for Nat Geo Wild: Randell. What does Randell do? What does Randell think about the horses? What is Randell doing right now? Forget Drama Queen Wylene I want more Ramdell and camera time with the horses – you know the Mustangs- would be much better.

11. Mary Ann Kelly
    Oregon
    December 23, 2013, 2:49 pm

Jays mustang has had shoes on before. When he took her to the vet you could plainly see the nail holes. Anyone who knows horses could tell she had shoes on before. I looked forward to this show but now think it’s phony.

12. Mary Ann Kelly
    OR
    December 23, 2013, 2:59 pm

These horses do not look like the wild mustangs I’ve seen in Oregon, Nevada, Arizona and Washington in the wild. Very few wild horses have nice feet due to neglect when they are growing. They are too well put up and look like they are mostly QH’s.

13. Kris
    Texas
    December 24, 2013, 7:46 pm

It’s a shame that these wild mustangs are being captured! There’s a law that protects these horses, and here we are catching them and selling them for money. It sickens me. Leave wild mustangs in the WILD. Where they’ve been for hundreds of years!!!!!

14. Ariel
    December 26, 2013, 11:16 am

I have worked with mustangs in the past. They are often wonderful horses. Four months, however, is much too short to expect a horse to go from feral to a finished show horse. Four months is too short to finish a horse who was born in captivity. You can’t expect a solid mount in that short a time, and you’ll probably burn the horse out mentally and cause it a lot of stress from pushing it too hard.

Mustangs are not being sold for slaughter. A law was passed several decades ago to stop it. Now, if no one adopts them, they sit in holding facilities (basically feed lots) doing nothing but eating hay bought with taxpayers’ dollars. There are thousands of them (far too many to be supported by the available public land) in these facilities, and they are unadoptable for various reasons. Millions of dollars are being used to keep them alive, making our country more broke. It’s not a popular opinion, but I kind of think they’d be better off being used to feed hungry people than sitting around eating and doing nothing. (I don’t hate horses. I am a horse lover, in fact–just practical.)

Also, they are not “endangered”. There are many, many thousands of them out there. Also, they are not wild. They are feral horses that escaped from captivity, the equivalent of stray cats. I have no problem with leaving some herds out there, I just don’t get all emotional and say we need millions of them devouring all the available forage in the country and they all need to be wild and breeding out of control. What pet lover would say that about stray cats and dogs?

15. Glen Saunders
    December 26, 2013, 5:44 pm

I registered just to send one comment to the person named Laura? For hell’s sake lady take a damned chill pill and learn what you’re talking about before opening your mouth….Thanks.
    Now I’ll go back to cheering….

16. GloSeattle
    Seattle, Washington
    December 30, 2013, 10:53 pm

I would help save a wild Mustang for 200,000 dollars… in fact, I’d take the money and help the other wild mustangs being slaughtered – some sold for dog food in China by the Native American Tribes outside of Yakima, Washington. These horses, like our wolves are our countries national heritage and should be protected like our National Parks. Any consumption of horse meat is illegal in this country but we allow it to be shipped out to other countries. Sorry, I’m all for horses, and riding, done it for years, but what we are doing to wildlife is deplorable and I’d rather see the money go to saving wildlife for generations than for a contest.

17. Karen
    Seattle, Wa
    December 31, 2013, 1:39 am

I TOTALLY agree with what Laura had to say about this show! I was so repulsed by the methods used that I had to turn it off! I’m not sure I even stuck a round for 20 minutes!
    I cannot believe that National Geographic would host something showing such cruelty to animals and promote the idea that capturing these mustangs is for their own good! Once a fan of this channel, I will think twice before tuning in to NatGeo again!

18. nancy from shadow hills
    loss angele
    January 1, 2014, 11:53 am

Should we also slaughter cats and dogs To ” feed hungry people”?! People like u r why we have slaughter in the u.s. People r eating them!! And paying good money for their meat. B no country without horses and ea. One deserves life. The b.l.m.makes a forture off their agony. Watch a utube video and help us stop this atrocity!

19. Kathy
    New Jersey
    January 2, 2014, 11:07 pm

Re: methods of training – the guy who won last year seems to have it down, far ahead of the others. They didn’t show his initial training, but I am betting it is more like Monty Roberts than the old school methods shown.
    re: would I train a mustang? I adopted my mustang 4 years ago when I was 52 and she was 2. She had a whole 30 days of gentling when I got her, but my daughter and I took her the rest of the way. She is sweet, smart, and incredibly gentle, especially with special needs kids and adults. A friend is training her to jump, and I will work on teaching her to drive this winter.
    re: horse slaughter for food. I love my horse, but what makes her more valuable than a cow? Unless you are a vegetarian, you have to be practical. Slaughter methods have improved dramatically for all livestock (can’t say the same for poultry). Currently, horse slaughter has been banned in the United States, but there is talk of opening a slaughter house in New Mexico. When the ban was placed, people had no way to dispose of horses that they didn’t want, or couldn’t keep. Many rural areas, especially in the Southeast, became dumping grounds where people just let their horses go. Many perished in the same way that dogs and cats who are abandoned perish: starvation, predation, injury. The difference is that a horse carcass is much larger than a dog or cat carcass, and becomes a much larger health hazard. Slaughter is a necessary evil. We need to push for humane methods of transport, holding, and slaughter rather than an unrealistic, and in many cases, LESS humane way to deal with these excess animals. A good start would be breeding fewer race horses. The BLM, while not perfect, does its part by gelding all of the stallions that are rounded up.

20. Pamela Tindol
    Mobeetie, Texas
    January 4, 2014, 2:27 pm

21. Pamela Tindol
    Mobeetie, Texas
    January 4, 2014, 2:31 pm

I Love this show! We would like to know how you inthis competition!! Please send info!! Love the concept offinding a place for the wild horses, Gods animals deserve a good home!!

22. Kelli
    Montana
    January 13, 2014, 12:29 pm

I have been training horses for more than 30 years professionally, showing reined cow horses. I wondered as I watched the show if it was real. I saw nail holes in the horse’s feet when being x-rayed at the vet so it had obviously been shod at some point. It takes us an average of l8 months from starting a colt until we show them, so to take a wild horse to the show pen in 100 days seems like it would be pushing a colt a lot. Do they ride them all day or what?

23. marni
    keller tx
    February 24, 2014, 11:50 pm

All of your comments are interesting. However, the real issue is the ” Cruelty to Animals”! When will our government stop getting away with the this. The BLM is clearly hurting these animals. Very disappointed with National Geographic for supporting this act, and for the cruelty they stood by and witnessed. Will cancel all subscriptions and channels. Please help the wild mustangs!!!!!

24. kate james