Q&A With Glenn From ‘Life Below Zero’

This season, Life Below Zero followed survivalist Glenn as he left the modern world to live as a primitive hunter in Alaska’s Brooks Range. Yesterday, Glenn reconnected with civilization for a Facebook Q&A before last night’s Life Below Zero finale, answering fans’ questions about life in the wilderness, appearing on the show and more.

Glenn discussed the hardships of primitive life:

LBZ2

lbz9

LBZ3

He also talked about his motivations for joining the show.

LBZ5

Fans wondered: does Glenn get lonely?

LBZ7

lbz10LBZ6

Turns out, Glenn has a sense of humor about his subsistence lifestyle. It’s not for everyone!

LBZ4

The most important question – how is Glenn posting on Facebook in the wilderness?

lbz8

Read the whole chat here.

Missed last night’s Life Below Zero season finale? Watch a clip of Glenn’s journey from Chandalar to civilization in search of food:

Comments

1. ray
    Tampa,fl
    December 4, 2013, 3:52 pm

I think your awesome, can’t wait to see you back next season. wish I could visit. who knows maybe one day.

2. Eva Frankel
    Sin City USA.
    December 7, 2013, 9:29 pm

Seeing how Glenn lives in the wilderness, makes the Amish appear to have modern conveniences. Glenn can’ really plant crops or grow a vegetable garden because I imagine that it is not feasable to do so in Alaskan Climate

3. michele geister
    Jamaica
    December 8, 2013, 6:43 am

more Glenn please NatGeo. He and his lifestyle are fascinating.

4. Karyl Smitg
    Argyle, Texas
    December 8, 2013, 11:17 am

Glenn, I love the pictures you post. They are all breathtaking. Makes me wish I were there and see with my eyes the beauty you enjoy everyday. You are one blessed fellow and I admire you so much for living the life you want to live. Most of us will never have that opportunity.

5. Karyl Smith
    Argyle, Texas
    December 8, 2013, 11:19 am

Wow Glenn, I’m so excited I can’t even spell my name….lol

6. Wanda L Kimble
    December 10, 2013, 10:01 pm

L@@king forward to next season and hopefully many more to come. I don’t watch much TV but this is my all time favorite show. Thanks Nat Geo , Glenn, & the rest of the cast. Also hats off to the film crew. What an amazing job y’all do.
    Hats off to you all from Michigan

7. Barbara Heinemann
    December 13, 2013, 9:37 am

I love you on the show. I think you have the most rugged life of all the participants. I do hope you can find someone that wants to share your life with.

8. joe_mo
    Ohio
    December 13, 2013, 11:22 am

Glen, why did you attempt to land a fish that way?

9. Gary Williams
    Georgia
    December 14, 2013, 11:56 pm

Life Below Zero is a Great Show. You have picked a really good group of people to follow and share their lives. Glenn being new to the show really adds a great deal of knowledge of the outdoors. He is a perfect fit with the others. All of them are wonderful people living different lifestyles. Thank you, Gary

10. David Dodge
    Colorado
    December 15, 2013, 10:05 am

Here in Colorado; if I want to build a cabin they require that you get permits and that it be inspected. Of course they want that revenue. How does that work in Alaska??

11. Tiff Snellgrove
    Miserable in Florida
    December 18, 2013, 1:43 pm

I love the way you live Glenn! It’s very inspiring, thanks for sharing a bit of your way of life with us. 😉

12. Kenneth Desmond
    December 24, 2013, 9:31 pm

The show is as close to the truth as you can get, not like Gold Rush. Glenn, your a great addition to the show, keep it real

13. paul
    January 11, 2014, 12:34 pm

Regarding that lady in Kavik tracking moose in the snow< are you kidding me those are rabbit tracks and swhere the branches have been eaten… those are rabbits doing that NOT moose. Insulting to us northerners.. this is a joke

14. Troy V
    Arkansas
    February 2, 2014, 1:36 am

I wish I could live like you do. You are living like human beings should. I loved how you said that you aren’t antisocial, just anti culture. I live vicariously through you every time I watch. You should have your own show.

Be SAFE!
    T

15. Laura
    FL
    February 9, 2014, 4:17 pm

Please Nat Geo… I don’t want to see the lynx murderer guy again. I’m shocked I had to see it. That guy.. No. Glenn, on the other hand, yes.

16. ed z
    nj
    February 23, 2014, 10:09 am

Glenn,
    Would you ever consider taking a little money and basically point someone in the right direction if they wanted to do what you do? In other words, someone wants to come up to Fairbanks or the Brooks and stay for a few months, could you show like the do’s and dont’s of say where can one go to hunt or just stay? Is this private land your on? Or Governemant? If your interested email me back and we can talk about what would be a fair barter on your part for giving the info needed for me to survive. thank you Glenn
    ed z

17. Randall Anderson
    Az.
    March 25, 2014, 6:16 pm

Tell me Glen, Have you ever suffered the experience of having your leg snared by a metal wire, eventually cutting to the bone in the middle of freezing cold weather while their offspring are waiting for their mother to come home, and bring them food so they don’t starve to death? You think your little wilderness adventure provides you with the right to put animals twice as awesome, and tough as you through that kind of agonizing hellish death merely to provide you with a tasty few morsels of protein one night? Yeah, you’re a bitchion guy, and a real man!!! I’d like to spend just one day with you.

18. Randall Anderson
    Az.
    March 25, 2014, 6:35 pm

I’ve killed Deer, Elk, Javalina, Rabbit, Squirrel, Dove, Quail, and Turkey. But, I’ve NEVER, and WOULD NEVER allow any living creature to suffer they way you do. You are a self absorbed, egotistical coward with no integrity whatsoever.

19. Charles Nicholls
    AR
    March 29, 2014, 11:50 am

While I wouldn’t go as far as Randall, I do agree that snaring/trapping animals is not a good way to catch anything humanly. If you can’t shoot it or catch it on a fishing pole, then you don’t really need it. What if you caught an eagle in the trap? That said, I would love the opportunity to live the way the cast does in LBZ, hunting and fishing, gathering my own wood, fun. A much better life than what I have now for sure.

20. jennifer pinnick
    Muncie Indiana
    May 15, 2014, 7:10 am

I cant help but feel that I could go live exactly as Glenn does!!! Quite the funny fella..

21. kathy
    June 26, 2014, 11:32 pm

I love Nat Geo!! Never thought I would, but their shows are AMAZING!!
    I’m always interested in watching Glen, can’t believe the right woman hasn’t snagged him up yet! Seems like a gentle loving man. Keep up the awesome work Nat Geo

22. Dennis
    US
    November 6, 2014, 3:10 pm

For those who blasted Glenn for what they say was Glenn using snares. Did I miss an episode? I don’t think I’ve seen Glenn Do that. You sure you’re not thinking of Eric instead?. I’m fairly sure Eric did and I know that Andy did but can’t remember Glenn doing that.

23. brad sciara
    michigan
    November 13, 2014, 11:29 pm

Glenn, I have lot’s of questions I’d like to ask you……If you ever get bored or whould just like to talk, shoot me an email and i’ll give you my number……..love the show….keep it up guy.

24. Madmax
    Rockymountianhigh colorado
    December 24, 2014, 3:31 am

Glenn is a badass, him and Eric wiseman are my favorite. I love the episode where you make the suana and meditate in there. Your my kind of hippie! A lot of Hippies are anti hunting and such but Glenn is the man. We need to talk Glenn haha! I got some good ways for you to catch fish

25. Pat
    Phoenix, az
    December 24, 2014, 9:47 pm

Glenn, you’re one of my favorites on, “Life Below Zero”. No power tools and a lot of hard work. I like your philosophy that you don’t need a gym living your lifestyle! What would you charge to have my son stay with you for a couple of weeks in the summer to see what real work is but still enjoy himself? That would be an incredible experience for him!! I hope I hear from you!

26. Mike
    Reading Pa
    January 10, 2015, 8:23 am

While all of the folks on the show are interesting, Glens story is the one that fascinates me the most. I actually wish Glen had his own series. I would also love to come up and spend a season with him! Total respect for how he lives his life. It takes a lot of guts.

27. Chris
    Austin Tx
    January 21, 2015, 9:22 am

Glenn, you are my favorite for sure. Who owns the land where you live and hunt? It’s so l and wild and untamed yet so beautiful.

28. Blake stone
    Alaska
    April 3, 2015, 5:55 am

I hate to say this you are lying to the people tell us where does your wife and kids live at are they really living in Fairbanks Ak how do you support them by living in a tent with sheets of plywood how did you hike this plywood 60 miles and wood stove I am starting to thing you are just a made up person Life below zero and national geographic channel telling us lies about you I know for a fact you can not survive living in a tent at a minus 80 degf plus wind chill you might survive 1-3 days after that long being exposed to these harsh conditions I know I work on the north slope in Alaska we wear article gear rated at minus 80 degf we are only allowed to work outside 15 minutes and take a long warm up break then head back outside for another 15 minutes living in a tent at this temp you would not survive how much money is the NGC paying you to lie about yourself. Thanks

29. Fran Coffman
    shawnee Okla
    April 14, 2015, 5:34 pm

Glen I realy licke the show wear you are doing. your laundry. that is what I call sorting out life one loade at a time

30. Mike Cooper
    Akron, Ohio
    April 18, 2015, 3:03 am

Is that a silencer I see on your rifle or a flash hider?

31. Lee Burkhart
    Titusville PA
    April 23, 2015, 6:23 pm

Glenn is that a silencer (suppressor) on your model 77 Ruger ? if not what is it ? I use the same model rifle chambered for 30.06 for deer here in PA…. great rifle

32. Thomas C Fuller Jr.
    April 25, 2015, 8:35 pm

Blake Stone has to be the whiniest p.o.s on here. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. What a tool. Glenn you’re the best.

33. billy meadors
    Dayton Texas
    April 29, 2015, 9:07 am

LBZ is my favorite Alaska show and there are quite a few on tv now and who cares if they are lying about the show being real it is entertaining and beautiful, and to the people who have to criticise the show and believe it’s all staged there are buttons on your remote (if you have a tv with remote)and when you push them the picture will change on your tv but since YOU don’t like it I guess you think NO ONE should watch it.People get a life and NATGEO keep showing LBZ.

34. V Wood
    Southern Illinois
    May 12, 2015, 3:00 pm

Thank you for sharing, Glenn.

35. Janet Wade
    Galveston Island, Texas
    May 16, 2015, 9:42 pm

I love to watch you on LBZ. Your lifestyle is crazy to me. If it gets below 75 degrees I’m COLD! I gotta have my palmtrees, Jimmy Buffett and margaritas. But hey, It’s fun to watch you do it. Stay safe, Glen and I hope you find someone to share it all with.

36. randy martin
    yamhill oregon
    May 20, 2015, 4:01 am

I love life below zero glen what is on the end of your rifle?

37. Sandi
    Indiana
    January 21, 11:41 am

Would love to talk, shot me a text if you’d like.

38. Tommy winters
    Ocklawaha fla
    March 1, 4:36 am

I see you have a ruger m-77 what’s the muzzle device?

39. Gail Hughes
    Coeur d Alene Idaho
    March 11, 7:20 pm

What is your cabin covered in. Insulation? I lived in Alaska for years but could never have survived your way of life.

40. Ben
    Miami
    April 7, 9:17 pm

What kind of man leaves his children to go play in the woods? You made them Glenn go take care of them and raise them. Once they are grown then you can follow your selfish ways.

41. Jack
    Chemung, ny
    May 15, 6:45 pm

What is the extension on your rifle

42. Bob
    Connecticut
    June 3, 2:38 pm

In the show Glen made bread, but he did not have a oven to

bake it in. He put in a pan and put the pan in boiling water.

Would you please post the directions to make this bread.

43. Danielle
    June 18, 8:25 pm

YES PLEASE I would LOVE the directions for the bread. We live where power goes out and last year some people went with out power due to wind storm damage for a month IN the winter. cold and hungry.. this would have greatly helped many

44. Lynn
    Maryland
    June 24, 1:18 pm

What happened to the log cabin that you built when you first moved to the Brooks Range?
    I was watching the episode that aired on June 24th and there was photo showing you building what looked like a 2 – story log cabin. I looked like you were getting ready to put a roof on the log cabin.

45. Jennifer Hall
    June 26, 7:30 am

Glenn! I’d snatch you up in a heartbeat! My kinda living, my kind of man…but I sure would miss my horses 😉 Glenn needs his own series!

46. Walter Finnigan
    Staten Island, NY
    June 29, 4:04 pm

Hello Glenn, I really enjoy the show and envy your lifestyle to a certain degree. Meanwhile, one simple question: After 15 years there, why have you not expanded your dwelling? Looks kinda cramped. All the best.