In the first episode of Church Rescue, the Church Hoppers met Pastor Larry Roseboro, the leader of New Hope Baptist Church, a congregation of Bapticostals. The Hoppers are immediately taken by the energy of the congregation and their obvious adoration for Pastor Roseboro. Bapticostals are Baptists who let the Holy Spirit inhabit their bodies- singing, dancing, falling and speaking in tongues in the same way as Pentecostals. New Hope Baptist is a vibrant church and in Church Rescue: Country Salvation, the Church Hoppers roll up their sleeves to help, discovering that Pastor Roseboro has big dreams and a lot of work to do to realize them.

Hoping to build a new $1.4 million sanctuary with a modest-sized congregation, Pastor Roseboro, looks to the the Church Hoppers to give him assistance to reach his goal. With the challenges of a deteriorating building, long sermons and an uncomfortably hot church interior, they have a lot of suggestions. They leave Pastor Roseboro with some ideas to grow his congregation and realize his dream, but how is he fairing now? We checked in with the pastor to see how he was doing.

“It was a good experience,” he says of working with the Church Hoppers. What he enjoyed the most though, was his experience “street preaching.” Without a Bible and without the backup of his choir and congregation, the Hoppers had him give a concise sermon to an untried crowd. In his five minute sermon, he knocked it out of the park. “I didn’t have time to meditate on the sermon. This was one of my favorite moments. I did it and praise God, I did good!” says Roseboro.

The street preaching experience gave Roseboro confidence in his gift and also taught him the value of a more concise sermon. He is still working on keeping his sermons shorter and his congregation engaged. “I try to get them out no later than 1:30,” he says. “Sometimes we get out by one.” In the end, the Hopper’s suggestion of doing two sermons on Sunday instead of just one didn’t work out for him, however. “I might would be good,” he says, “But I just couldn’t do it with the drive.”

Roseboro is still completely dedicated to the mission of building a new sanctuary. In fact, his vision has expanded. He plans for a sanctuary that seats 350 people, more classrooms, a parking lot and ultimately he wants to build a gymnasium for not just the church, but the whole neighborhood. “The children in our community have no place to play,” he says. “I would like to be able to do more things with the young people.”

The memory of his wife is still a strong motivator in the building of New Hope Baptist Church. The year anniversary of her death was on October 20, and the church held a memorial service for her. She had been very involved in the church’s Clothes Ministry. Every year the church gathers clothing for the needy and gives what they have collected out on Christmas. However, they didn’t have anywhere to store to donations. A new storage unit was purchased with a plaque displayed in her honor.

The Pastor’s continued love for his wife of 35 years is obvious. They started dating when she was fifteen and married when she was eighteen. The new sanctuary was something that she wanted and Pastor Roseboro is still determined to make it happen for her and still misses her every day. “I’m sad she didn’t get to see the show,” Roseboro says. “She would have been tickled to death. She would have loved every minute of it!”

Pastor Roseboro is hoping that he can continue to honor his wife’s memory by breaking ground on a new sanctuary for New Hope Baptist Church in May of 2014. “We have set up our website and are hoping the donations will come,” he says. He hopes that the Church Hoppers have set him on the path to realizing his dreams.

Curious who the Church Hoppers are helping next? Tune into Church Rescue: Biker Church Reborn Monday November 18 at 10 PM et/pt and find out.

Comments

1. Rev.Tony Murphy
    newland n.c.
    November 14, 2013, 10:04 pm

We would like to get some help for our church before we have to close the door to it please if you ‘ll can help please let me know .thank you for your time.PastorMurphy

2. Pastor ShannonWright
    Shelby Nc
    November 16, 2013, 10:43 pm

Requesting your help to help us with growing our Church and Ministries 704-240-6393.

3. Chris
    kansas
    November 16, 2013, 11:22 pm

Love the show. it is very refreshing to see more shows coming onto television that promotes healthy tv viewing.

4. shaneta shuford
    newton north carolina
    November 17, 2013, 12:45 am

The church is 60 yrs old and it was built. By the Bishop and his brother and its still standing but its in the need of a helping hand the pastor of our churchand the Bishop r brother and sister theytook over their gathers church when he died. We need help we try and try to helpthe church by raising money we did manage to get new windows that was a start for us now we look for a bigger pastor study. And bathroom. And just a new outside look we dnt ask for much we just ask for a little blessing … so if u think u can help we will sure be greatful and blessed and in Jesus.namewe pray amen… thank u

5. Jessica smith
    Houston, TX
    November 17, 2013, 12:52 am

I TRULY must commend the people at Nat Geo for making a series about this. They’re doing a lot more than getting ratings. They’re making our country a better place one Church at a time. Thank you!!

6. Maurice Ball
    November 17, 2013, 7:12 am

@Tony Murphy, I don’t want to see you ministry close. Anytime that happens that means the Gospel is not being preach and lives are not being changed. Shoot me an email if you would my assistance. Ballmaurice@hotmail.com

7. Rick Rocco
    Hamden CT
    November 17, 2013, 6:28 pm

Wow! I really loved your show! I have been watching restaurant impossible and hotel impossible for years and wishing there would someday be a church impossible. Thank you for this great work.

A little about us, we are a congregation of about 150 and struggling but growing. About 6 months ago, we turned to a network church of Lifechurch.tv which drove about 100 people away. It was really scarry for a while. We lost all our leadership but growing with new converts to Christ. I’m doing most of the leadership alone for now but eager to recognize and build new leadership.

May The Lord bless you guys and have years of success.

8. Terry and Mary Arringyon
    Joelton Tn
    November 17, 2013, 8:36 pm

We really liked this show! We came to a little country church 2 years ago. Our church had a revitalization done to it. We did everything like the show had done. We are growing and praying we stay strong. Can’t wait for next episode.

9. Dr. Charena Lowe
    Shelby NC,
    November 18, 2013, 1:23 pm

You all are sent by God looking for some help on building my ministry that God have trusted in my Hands.

10. Dr. Charena Lowe
    Shelby NC,
    November 18, 2013, 1:35 pm

Pastor Roseboro, I am Bishop Charles Lowe wife please contact us by e-mail trinity03godhead@hotmail.com

11. Shawn Mullins
    Churchville, MD
    November 18, 2013, 7:18 pm

As a Lay Leader and Chairman of the Board of Trustees for a small United Methodist Church, I very much enjoyed this program. We also have too many signs. Two for our church and one for the parachurch ministry that rents the building. I will definitely will be watching your show from now on. Thank you and may God continue to bless all of you!

12. Pastor Johnny Prestage
    Medford Oregon
    November 18, 2013, 10:52 pm

My heart is to grow the Kingdom I saw your show and I realize I need help to reach souls that is the church’s mission if you feel les of God to help let me know

Pastor Johnny Prestage
    541-292-6467

13. Lady GT Walker
    Orangeburg, SC
    November 18, 2013, 11:22 pm

I really enjoyed the program. It is a blessing to see the help that is out there for stuggling small ministries. Our church has gone through a whole lot of obsticles from out school having to temperarily close because of a leaky roof to the economy causing our congregation to drop not only in number but also in freewill offerings. We have had the roof repaired numurous times, but we still have the leaky roof. I can go on and on. My husband who is the semior pastor has apologize to the people many times, especially this last time where we spent over $15,000 to repair the roof ,ceiling, etc. Is there some type of advice or information that you can direct us. God bless you so much.

14. lynn blackman
    Merced Ca
    November 19, 2013, 2:34 am

We at CHurch of the living God Temple 2 need help. We are in a 100 year old building and we need you to show us how to fix all the issues around our church. Please call Pastor Allen Hewitt 209-230-3427. You can see our service on YouTube COTLG Temple 2

15. Minister Sutton
    St Louis Mo
    November 19, 2013, 9:09 am

80% of churches are failing due to non biblical financial stewardship and not practicing biblical principles in leadership. I would like to promote your church on my radio show and help train your leaders while assisting you to be financially secure. Please email me at walkintruthministries@ yahoo.com. I want to help build the kingdom. Thank you.

16. cynthia
    Little Ferry NJ
    November 19, 2013, 4:49 pm

This was a great show last night. very very moving

17. Minister Tanya Richardson
    Virginia
    November 21, 2013, 4:29 pm

I was so blessed by your show. I just happened to come across it as I was channel surfing. The show was very engaging, uplifting and just plain good ! I was personally able to gather practical pointers to help grow the Kingdom of God. Praying for the success of the show and looking forward to future episodes.

18. Pastor Curtis Dean
    Charlotte, NC United States
    November 25, 2013, 1:08 pm

We are a newly formed church located in Charlotte, NC, and the Lord is allowing us to grow, slowly but surely. We have a power-pack worship celebration every Sunday from 9:00am to 10:30am. If given the same opportunity as Pastor Roseborough, I am sure you want be dissapointed in what my members offer in invoking the spirit of God.

19. Pastor C. Grant
    Los Angeles, CA
    November 25, 2013, 9:23 pm

Hello my name is Pastor Grant, I had the opportunity of enjoying your ministry for the first time today. I felt lead as I watch, to contact you on behalf of my friend and a pastor that I truly love (Pastor Pascascio). I am hoping that this was of divine design for me to be channel surfing at the exact time your first show aired. God Bless.

20. Jason
    STL
    November 26, 2013, 7:26 am

Am I the only one who didn’t want Pastor Roseboro get the new church? He seemed very rude and undeserving.

21. Pastor Willie Smith
    Yazoo City, Ms.
    November 26, 2013, 10:09 pm

I enjoyed the show we really need your help more than words can say. Our church in need of desperate repair and desperate need of knowledge you as “Church Rescue”can give to bring growth and beauty to our Church and beauty to the City of Yazoo. May God Bless “Church Rescue” for the great work done.

22. Pamela Liscom
    Charlotte NC
    December 2, 2013, 6:40 pm

It is amazing how many people in ministry, have no idea how to run a successful church. This can be a problem with independent or non-denominational church, who have no over-site or accountability. Even pastors need to be submitted to someone who has more experience than themselves.