New Series Yukon Gold Premieres Tonight

It is a job few would want: 18-hour work days, unforgiving landscapes, mechanical struggles. All risk, and sometimes no reward. On the surface, it might look like the famous Klondike Gold Rush of the late 1800s. But this is a modern-day take on the quest for the ultimate dream — to strike it rich with one lucky strike. In the new series Yukon Gold, follow four family-run mining camps as they risk everything in the hope of hitting the paystreak. Working grueling days under the midnight sun, the crews give it their all to battle the elements … and each other.

Yukon Gold delves into the real lives of these mining crews and the uncompromising challenges facing them. These miners lay everything on the line — their relationships, bank accounts, reputations and lives — to get their next gold fix, worth potentially millions of dollars. It’s genuine gold fever.

Even though the price of gold hit an all-time high in 2011, these days it takes mining even more gold just to break even. But there are still riches to be won through hard work … and sometimes sheer luck. The determined, die-hard men of the Yukon are banking on finding 1,000 or more ounces of gold this season, and with good reason. The costs of wages, fuel, food and equipment are as high as ever. But these resilient miners never give up. Over the past two years, they’ve spent close to half a billion dollars exploring gold, silver, copper, zinc and other minerals in the Yukon.

“Mining is our way of life,” says miner Ken Foy. “Worst case scenario, you can lose everything you have. But the best case scenario means an opportunity to get rich. You just never know.”

The four gold mining crews profiled in Yukon Gold are novice “Big Al” McGregor; ornery Bernie Kreft and his two sons, Justin and Jarrett; best friends Ken Foy and Guillaume Brodeur; and Karl Knutson and his demanding father, Marty. From spring thaw to the mid-October freeze-up, the miners have only four short months to strike it big. The days are long, the work is exhausting, and anything that can go wrong usually does. Add to this the stunning but dangerous Yukon landscape and harsh living conditions, and you’ve got high stakes in the exotic Northern wilderness.

Yukon Gold premieres tonight at 7 p.m.

Comments

1. Bill
    New York
    September 5, 2013, 12:24 pm

I used to love your magazine and channel, now it’s nothing more than garbage. Your programming is irresponsible and your reality shows are fake. I will not be renewing my subscription and removing your magazine from my classrooms( I am an assistant principal). As well as blocking your channel at home..

2. Top Reality Shows | yukon gold series
    September 18, 2013, 1:16 pm

[…] on September 18, 2013 6:16 pm by admin Comment New Series Yukon Gold Premieres Tonight – Nat Geo TV Blogs http://tvblogs.nationalgeographic.com/2013/09/05/new-series-yukon-gold-premieres-tonight/ Sep 5, […]

3. caitlin
    canada
    September 20, 2013, 8:22 pm

Wow Bill! All I have t o say is if you think this show is fake, I would question your judgement on anything you then call real. I know all of these miners and am present during the filming of this show. There is absolutely nothing fake at all about this show. I feel very sad for you that you made that assumption.

4. bill
    North Carolina
    September 29, 2013, 7:00 pm

Why do I have to watch and over and over and over and OVER about, wait, OVER AND OVER!!!! Something breaking!? What the heck is wrong with this show. When can you talk more about how to find gold, what it takes, what the machines are about about, info over drama please, so sick of hearing 75% of the program “Everything is going great until…..” something is broke, yeah, well, I don’t watch a movie and hear about what broke to make it. WOW!

5. Bryan
    Minnesota
    October 7, 2013, 1:23 am

I watched the Goldfathers show you guys did and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then you dumped that show and did this garbage instead. This show blows and the miners can’t seem to keep a machine running.

6. Don JEWKES
    Colorado
    October 17, 2013, 6:51 pm

I have watched these mining reality shows and can not believe the distructon that they inflict on the land. Do these hill billies have to restore their digging site to the way it was before they raped the land?

7. Lisa disgusted
    Saskatchewan
    December 12, 2013, 11:51 pm

This show makes me vomit, all the destruction of land and natural habitat. Oh go kill a caribou while you are at it. All the thousands of gallons of precious fuel wasted, for what? The way some men treat their sons. The swearing, all the crap, fuel, hydraulic fluid dumped into the ground. Wrecking a natural river bed. What a bunch of selfish people. History, you are disgracing your channel.

8. jay f
    florida
    December 23, 2013, 6:51 pm

Teacher (Bill ny) cry or I could do it better, keep it up,as the brain dead comets are as funny as the fools in the show
    .assistant principal, was the only job open, that didn’t require the ability to chew gum and walk at the same time.

9. Wayne
    Ontario
    January 8, 2014, 10:12 pm

– first point these aren’t fake show
    – people who are complaining about the land are hyprocrites… question for them, do you any type of electronic device in your daily routine, guess what there is gold in them, do you drive a car or heat your, the crude oil to make the fuels? Oh wait your going to respond that you use wood… do you replace every tree you burn? Do you plant extra trees because wood heat put more pollunats in the high effiecency furances? How is your tree cut, by hand or with a power tool? Do you buy your meat….lots of waste from the animal, you should hunt and use 100% of the animal,
    – our economy depends on certain minerals and fossil fuels, one being gold, if you force miners to repair, meaning regarding, new topsoil and seed/sod up north in the Yukon… do you realize how expensive that would be and drive the price up crazy with huge world wide economical implications, your iphone will prob cost more like 7000 instead of 700

I could go on and on but it wont sink into their heads because they are stubborn

its ok to have your opinions, remember reality is perfect and you have to be able to see every side to a situation

I agree that we have destroyed our planet and should take better care of it but its necessary

also the world will survive, humans will be come extinct, the earth will change wipe out life, and restart as it has done over and over for the last 4.5 billion years 4.5-5billion left before our sun stops fusing hydrogen into helium, but wont be large enough therefore hot enough to fuse the helium therefore it will blow out a large wave of fire across earth and prob destroy the plant anyways!

10. Laura
    Yukon
    February 3, 2014, 11:28 pm

I am with Wayne from Ontario, I live in Dawson City for 8months of the year, my partner mines for gold and believe me there are lots of rules to mining! The ground that miners work on , when they are finished mining the claim, you have to do reclamation work before they leave and move on to other claims! As for the spills on the ground, they have to be mopped up or there will be huge fines to pay,Helicopters fly over the mines daily! Also as for equipment, they take quite a beating with the rocks and boulders, they require a lot of maintenance! It is a ton of work and lots of man hours to get the gold out of the ground! So fake? Absolutely not!

11. Nick T.
    New Zealand
    February 7, 2014, 7:24 am

As a guy that spent several years prospecting for gold in Australian, what I cannot figure out is that these guys being filmed are supposed to be professionals, but they spend all their time sluicing the gravel and separating out the larger rocks and ignoring them. This blows my mind because the bigger rocks are where the gold originally came from before it got eroded down into the fines they are sluicing for. In Australia we would regularly pick up large specimens that were ignored by the old timers and just checked away. Its absolutely unbelievable. When you look at how they are looking for an ounce or more per hour, you think they’d have the brains to run over the tailings once in a while with a metal detector. I’ve seen pictures of decent specimens that have come out5 of these areas being worked and you can often get several ounces our of a rock?

12. Dean
    Canada
    March 2, 2014, 10:19 pm

I’m Canadian, my grandfather and his father were both miners and I agree with that Assistant Principle. This show is garbage, those of you defending it aren’t making valid points and are obviously the 80% of the population that are catered to by these drama shows. You all disgust me that you would rather watch someone breaking something than learn the process of how this gold is dealt with. I will not check back on this post to see how you inbreds react. I and my family are highly dissatisfied with what has happened to primetime television in the past years.

13. knowitall
    dosent mater
    March 22, 2014, 9:53 pm

How about you all shut up watch the show or don’t but remember the rest or the world don’t give a shit also remember we are watching to glimps piles of gold not info. Gold gold filthy stiken gold happiness in physical form

14. Emmaaaaa
    Canada
    May 18, 2014, 1:45 am

I was watching this show for the first time and at first i thought it was alright but it slowly became very innapropiate and very offensive! I was very upset with the animal abuse and lack of concern. I dont care how “fake” this show is but when i see the abuse of animals or their habitats thats when it gets on my nerves. I will not be continuing to watch this~

15. Pedro
    Everywhere
    May 23, 2014, 1:14 pm

It’s really sad to see what an Institution like The National Geographic Society has become.
    Contributing to the dumbing down of humanity I guess wasn’t what it’s founders had in mind.
    I guess its brightness is fading…

16. Thorwald Johansen
    Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada
    September 21, 2014, 8:09 pm

I absolutely LOVE the Gold Rush shows. I have been ‘hard rock’ prospecting in Ontario most of my life. I hold several mining claim units, that have base metals and precious metals. I was fortunate enough to option some of my claims in 2007.

I constantly look as closely as possible, at the discarded rock that is dumped from the trommel, in order to see if I can identify the material.

Any type of prospecting, is extremely hard work, expensive, and dangerous. It also requires the prospector to be away from normal ‘civilization’ for some time. Many people cannot handle this, and it often ends in tensions that explode into arguments and hatred. The success rate is very small compared to the failure rate. Gold is where it is, not where you want it to be.

17. Alan
    Korea
    October 27, 2014, 9:08 am

Awesome show! Hiro is my favorite guy on there.
    So now where is season 3 at?

18. MSGT Harry Marcum
    Lake city , fla.
    February 13, 2015, 3:43 pm

I like the show and it amazes how many know it all people are whining about the show . If you don’t like it change the channel.
    These men work hard unlike most of you pansy asses.

19. NOALOT
    Canada
    February 25, 2015, 10:28 am

Well as usual the idiots chime in why don’t you watch Gold Rush .That show shows true intelligence of americans like the hoffmans.Stay out of the north please

20. Jeremy
    Canada
    February 27, 2015, 2:03 pm

Ok morons. First off I agree we destroy our environment with mining but it is a small fraction of what we destroy so don’t bitch about it unless you are willing to trade in your jewelry start walking or biking everywhere or a better idea tear down the Vatican. Second don’t watch it if you don’t like it pretty simple. Third complaining about swearing, give me a #$*@ing break it’s part of the industry and and pretty much every industry. If you can’t take swearing go back to church and pray to your imaginary friend for these sinners. Stop acting like your opinion matters especially when you do nothing yourself to change the world.

21. Paul
    October 15, 2015, 6:30 pm

@Wayne, you’re the typical ‘Merikan

You NEED iphones? You NEED consume and replace technology? We throw gold away when we want a new electronic device because we just don’t care, why not make a series on gold mining the dumps the way the Chinese do?

We don’t “need” gold, nor do we “need” more infrastructure. But to support continued growth instead of settling the human population down we “need” to destroy more of the environment; and to statisfy the “need” for human greed we “need” to destroy more of the environment.

Arguing that, by necessity, living in a modern society has caused environmental damage ignores that it is possible to mitigate the footprint of your individual damage while others just keep driving theirs up because it’s the ‘Merikan Dream.