Today, there are about 500 million dogs alive, and more than 400 recognized dog breeds. Dogs are found in more shapes, sizes and varieties than any other mammal on the planet. They’re so familiar to us that we often forget how extraordinary they are. This is man’s best friend. Now, Nat Geo WILD takes an intimate look at our faithful friends with fresh eyes and renewed appreciation; from their super senses to their unquestioning loyalty.

Journey into the world of dogs like never before to uncover how our favorite animal sees, smells and experiences life. Follow a puppy from birth to motherhood and discover how its relationship with humans is the most remarkable factor in its success. This compelling and visually stunning film combines the best of natural history filmmaking with unique scientific insight, highlighting incredible stories of dogs that have saved lives, rebuilt marriages and even detected diseases. In the end, rediscover why this animal is beloved by humans around the world.

Tune in to The Secret Life of Dogs, Sunday, August 25, 9 PM ET/PT on Nat Geo WILD

Comments

1. James Bremner MD
    Olympia, WA
    August 24, 2013, 9:35 am

This program is not on your directory. Is it really being shown?? Why do you not list it, if so??

2. James Bremner MD
    Olympia, WA98502
    August 24, 2013, 3:05 pm

Still waiting. I may miss the program

3. Jacque
    Akron Ohio
    August 26, 2013, 8:03 am

When is show going to be back on?

4. Jacqueline
    Colorado
    August 27, 2013, 8:50 am

What a great show! Is this a new series? Stories of dogs and their humans from all over the world…this should really be a series!!!

5. Jane
    Madison WI
    August 27, 2013, 3:38 pm

My cable company doesn’t have the NatGeo Wild channel only NatGeo. Will this program be on the NatGeo channel? I would love to see it.

6. Katie
    Seattle, WA
    September 6, 2013, 4:21 pm

I only get my local PBS via antenna. Is there someplace I can watch this online?

7. [...] Nat Geo WILD takes an intimate look at our faithful friends with fresh eyes and renewed appreciation — from their super senses to their unquestioning loyalty. The Secret Life of Dogs [...]

8. Jeffers
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    September 14, 2013, 8:16 pm

What is the name of the dog they followed from birth to becoming a guide dog on the show?

9. cathy
    san jose, ca
    September 21, 2013, 6:34 pm

I would love to own this, “The Secret Life of Dogs” if it were to be on dvd. Even though I grew up with dogs during my younger life, I learned so much more when I saw this show. The best part is seeing different stories of the different people with their life with their dogs. The man in the wheel chair and what he had lost – then found because of the dog he came to know and love – how inspiring to the human spirit! I love how this show has been presented because I have learned in a way I was eager to listen and watch rather than a boring text book. Excellent work done on this presentation of this show. Like someone else mentioned, this should be a continuing series with the lives of the dogs and their masters/people, who understand and connect. You would think that if people saw this before they bought a dog, there would be less dogs in the shelters. I can’t wait to tell my family about how to tell if you have a right or left pawed dog and what it means to have counter clocked swirl in the hair of the dog. Must see the show to get the wonderful and delightful insight to knowing and understanding dogs. You guys are awesome with the different shows you put on for the world to see. Thank you so much! Keep up the goodness you bring to people like me.
    Sincerely, and Blessed,

Cathy

10. kim robinson
    uk
    October 19, 2013, 3:57 pm

My 17 year old dog plays up and crys when i leave even when other people home with her and now puppy starting to do it

11. Mike
    Ga
    November 5, 2013, 3:36 pm

Awesome show,it good to see an uplifting show about mans best friend,with all the violent and material shows out these days it’s great to see a show that plays homage to dogs and the true spirit of these awesome creatures. I would love to buy the DVD of this show, I’m hooked,thanks mike w

12. Bri
    Maryland
    January 11, 11:17 pm

Does anyone know the breed of the dog named McGee on the show? Thanks!

13. Michelle
    Illinois
    February 20, 10:36 am

I loved this show!!!! So very interesting

14. Marsja Hall-Green
    South Africa
    June 12, 12:03 pm

June 2014. We have only just seen this and are desperate to obtain a DVD as we can use it in our local animal welfare education programme in our underprivileged areas where we have large numbers of neglected and abused dogs. This will give children and adults, who have not grown up to understand the value of dogs, some important insights. Dogs in townships are left to scavenge and are considered a nuisance. Please help us to help our desperate dogs in our small community!

15. Emily
    September 21, 8:55 pm

Bri, I do believe that those are Labrador Retrievers. They are often sought after by service dog agencies. Does anyone know what the dog sled on wheels is called? Or where I could find one?

16. Deynice
    Arizona
    September 22, 12:19 pm

I saw the program but can’t remember how to tell if you have a right or left pawed dog, and what each one means. Also what it means to have a clock wise or counter clocked swirl in the hair of the dog. Very informative show!!