Survivor Finalist Big Tom is back and this time it’s with the whole family. This multi-generational farm family is opening its doors to America and telling everyone to ‘come on in!’ Family Beef follows the life and adventures of the Buchanan family cattle farm. Running a traditional cattle farm is a tough business, but Big Tom and the gang seem to have it all figured out… err, sort of.

Virginia has over 46,000 farms and while the average age of a Virginian farmer is 58 years old, the Buchanan farm boasts three generations of command. The only problem with three strong-willed men all vying to run a farm is that making decisions is no easy task (see below).

One things for sure, the Buchanans charm their way into the hearts of their viewers. The show gives great insight into the lives of how a typical farmer makes a living and the Buchanans provide the comic relief. What may seem outrageous to an outsider on Family Beef is just another day-in-the-life on the farm. Their easily relatable banter and playful outlook on life make this series a fun and light-heard homage to family and farmers.

Catch Family Beef: Fence Fiasco and meet the family on National Geographic Channel WED AUG 7th at 9PM ET.

Comments

1. Sianna
    Florida
    August 7, 2013, 6:34 pm

I’m so excited to watch this! These are all my cousins and aunts and uncles so and I know first hand how awesome and hilarious they are so this will be a treat for everyone who watches! :)

2. Melvin Wheeling
    Olympia, Washington
    August 7, 2013, 8:42 pm

This piece of commercial tv garbage is why the citizens of this country do not understand what it really takes to feed the world. We own and operate a cattle ranch and in no way is what you put on television close to be accurate or some sort of comic relief. Shame on you National Geographic. Your organization used to educate. Now you have joined the dumbing down of America.

3. Kim baggett
    Johnson city tn 37602
    August 7, 2013, 9:14 pm

I absolutely loved Family Beef! It was great and very entertaining. I was very thrilled to see Big Tom and family in this show. Wonderful keep the series coming !!!!!!

4. Chuck Osborne
    Louisville Ky
    August 7, 2013, 9:25 pm

Watched Family Beef tonight and really enjoyed it! Can’t wait to see what happens next in Rich Valley, Virginia!!

5. Pamela Esser
    August 7, 2013, 9:27 pm

I was so happy to see this show! I’ll be sure to tune in for every episode. Farming is a HUGE part of life in this area and this family is a perfect example. Bo was actually one of my counselors a few years back during a dark time in my life. Everyone looked forward to spending time with him. His visits where a bright spot in my often dreary days and I have never forgotten them. It’s great to see that this family is no bull, full of laughs and what you see on TV, REALLY is truly what you get with this bunch. I’m excited to see what happens next! Go Family Beef!!! :D

6. Mitchell Cornett
    August 7, 2013, 9:35 pm

Best show I have seen. There has to be a series!

7. Tracy
    VIRGINIA
    August 7, 2013, 9:35 pm

My family and I, along with many of our friends, LOVED THIS SHOW!!!! Looking forward to more episodes on NatGeo!!!!!!

8. Pam Esser
    August 7, 2013, 9:36 pm

I was so excited when I heard about Family Beef! Our area has deep roots and a rich history in farming and cattle. Seeing it told through the eyes of this Southern family, left me with a better understanding of just how much blood, sweat, and tears goes into a day on the farm. Bo was one of my counselors during a hard time in my life. EVERYONE looked forward to his visits. He truly is the silly “goober” you see on the show. I’ve never forgotten how much he helped me look at the brighter side of things. I’m so happy to see their family prospering in our rural area. With this bunch, what you see, is truly what you get. I truly look forward to seeing more of their adventures and wish their family all the best! Go Family Beef!!! :D

9. J D
    tn
    August 8, 2013, 6:02 am

Can’t wait for the next show!

10. Jessica
    Staunton, VA
    August 8, 2013, 6:15 am

Awesome show! Beautiful family and beautiful part of our country! Nat Geo needs to keep making new episodes of this show!

11. Laura Hensley
    Saltville, VA
    August 8, 2013, 8:31 am

enjoyed the show very much. It was definitely funny and entertaining. Better than shows like “Duke Dynasty” and “Honey Boo Boo. Hope to see more in the future. Down side is I don’t have the National Geographic channel and had to go to my neighbor’s house to watch it

12. Toodle
    August 8, 2013, 8:58 am

I’ve lived in the Rich Valley area most of my life. It is beautiful and farm life is not easy. But this show was a typical “reality” show. The reality is the people are real and use their real names, the property is their own and is real, but some of the program is staged. Still it was nice to see the Valley on national tv.

13. Kim Huffaker
    Pigeon Forge, TN
    August 8, 2013, 9:56 am

Loved the show, great to see a true farm family on television. We can hardly wait to see more. That is all we have talked about at work today, everyone loved it and the ones that don’t have Nat Geo channel are asking how they can watch. Love me some Bo!!!

14. Michele owen
    California
    August 8, 2013, 10:02 am

Watched ‘Family Beef’ last night,& I must say I’m looking forward to seeing more! The Buchanans are such a charming clan & their witty one-liners had us belly laughing the entire time. I’d love to see more about the farm & the workings of the ranch as well. Reminds me a bit of the Kilchers,from Alaska… People I think I’d like to be friends with. A respectable bunch of hardworking,family loving folk. Nice work,

15. Annette Frye
    Broadford VA
    August 8, 2013, 10:45 am

Loved the show!!! We want to see more from the Family Beef!!!!!

16. b h
    va
    August 8, 2013, 10:51 am

Awesome show!

17. KR
    Wyoming
    August 8, 2013, 11:06 am

Are you kidding me?? This is the stupidest show ever!! Why not find a place that really shows what it takes to raise the food that farmers/ranchers puts on the table for America. This is just a show about how dumb can you get. Thank you Melvin Wheeling for your input also. No one has a clue what really goes on at a ranch or farm. May be Nat Geo should show reality to educate instead of stupidity. And who in the heck has 1000 head of cattle on 2000 acres. Really???

18. Amber
    Ca
    August 8, 2013, 11:21 am

Super funny and well done! Keep them coming ;)

19. Jackie Humphrey
    Palmyra VA
    August 8, 2013, 11:51 am

Our family loved Family Beef! We thought it was funny and entertaining. Can’t wait for more episodes from Big Tom.

20. Shane Tuell
    Chilhowie VA
    August 8, 2013, 12:21 pm

I grew up just down the road from “Big Tom” & “Bucky Bo”! Enjoyed seeing these guys on the Nat Geo channel last night. Honestly from knowing the whole family all of my life, it looked natural and not made up. Hope to see a series in their future! My family and friends had a good laugh at the expense of the Buchanan’s. Thanks again Nat Geo, hope everything works out in each party’s favor!

21. Tiffany S.
    Texas
    August 8, 2013, 1:57 pm

LOVED this show!

22. Debbie Sapp
    Florida
    August 8, 2013, 3:10 pm

Look forward to more episodes!

23. Tim Hawk
    North Dakota
    August 8, 2013, 5:37 pm

I enjoyed the show, I lived in Rich Valley back in the early 70’s. I have 2 Brothers that still live there I Knew of the Tom Buchanan Family . I Know they have been in the Cattle Business for a long time. Looking forward for the next show

24. JOHN
    Rich Valley, Virginia
    August 8, 2013, 6:28 pm

KR of Wyoming doubts the ability of Virginia farms being able to support 1000 cattle on 2000 acres of land should come to Rich Valley and see for himself. I promise him that it is being done. Our situation here regarding grazing is much different than in the western states. Here 2000 acres is a large operation which is probably a tiny one in his state. Two different ways of grazing, about two acres per head here and probably 30 acres or so to support one animal in some of the western states.

25. bo buchanan
    rich valley
    August 8, 2013, 6:39 pm

Thanks, everyone that watched for your opinions and support. Mr wheeling and KR I respect your opinion and thank you. We also rent about 1200 acres to answer your ? KR. And Mr Wheeling don’t know how you do it on your farm but on ours we’ve made it work for generations doin what you see as a injustice to the farming world. Around here farmers support one another, and to be honest Im ashamed to hear that another farmer feels the way y’all do. I invite both to make a trip down here and if when you leave you still feel that were a side show Ill kiss your ass! good lucks with yalls farm big or small.

26. G W
    GA
    August 8, 2013, 7:19 pm

Loved the show. I raise beef cattle too. It’s interesting to see how other farmers do things and how they interact.

27. HATTIE FULKE
    BRISTOL VA
    August 8, 2013, 8:02 pm

I AM SO GLAD THAT SOME ONE FROM THE MOUNTIANS CAN SHOW PEOPLE CAN DO OTHER THINGS .THAN MAKE MOONSHINE OR GROW TOBACCO .WE LOVE THE SHOW .MORE MORE MORE

28. Sherry Evans
    Tazewell, VA
    August 8, 2013, 8:49 pm

Keep more Family Beef shows coming, loved it!

29. BJ
    Virginia
    August 8, 2013, 8:56 pm

More shows please……..Cannot believe I thought life on the farm would be boring!

30. Ken
    August 9, 2013, 10:40 am

Family Beef is good entertainment & shows what farm family’s go through! Nat. Geo. go ahead with a season 1!

31. Susan
    California
    August 9, 2013, 12:11 pm

Nice to see a family that finds the laughter and love through good times and hard times. Laughed so hard and learned something in the process. And yes, I did cringe at the castration shot but that’s life on the farm.

32. Jay P
    marion va
    August 9, 2013, 12:33 pm

Stupid and scripted crap

33. JKD
    Wyoming
    August 9, 2013, 2:31 pm

I’m with Mel Wheeling, KR, and Jay P. Been around ranching all my adult life and that show was the most phony, staged White Trash crap and ought to be an embarrassment to Nat Geo. As if any would measure out a fence line and not notice 15′ missing on the end of the tape. And nothing beats pushing the phony “southern” accents to the max. Makes me think twice about renewing my Nat Geo mag subscription next time around.

34. Carolyn
    Woodlawn, Va
    August 9, 2013, 3:07 pm

Loved the show. I was raised on a beef cattle farm and our family still operates it. My father raised our family on only the income from the farm, he has been a beef cattle farmer for over 50 years. And Big Tom transported many head of cattle for my father to the mid west. This show is very true to the lifes rural farmers live and not scripted. Family Beef couldn’t have been much more real. Enjoyed it very much and hope there is many more shows to come. Great job Buchanan family, keep up the down home family farming life.

35. DG
    Abingdon Va.
    August 9, 2013, 6:07 pm

In response to JKD. I have farmed here in southwest Virginia all my life and Big Beef is exactly how farming is done in our part of the country. Before you call all of us in southwest Virginia white trash I suggest you come out here and check us out for yourself. But maybe you should bring a translater with you to understand our phony “southern” accents. You know thats what the remote on your TV is for if you dont like something then change the channel.

36. Karen
    Lebanon, VA
    August 9, 2013, 7:43 pm

This was absolutely the most embarrassing thing I have ever seen. Any family who has been successful in farming for generations, as the Buchanan family has, could not be stupid. Why, then, would you work so hard to make yourselves look like idiots? Southwest Virginia is full of hard-working, intelligent people. It would be nice to see a show that reflects that.

37. Chris
    Gate City, Virginia
    August 9, 2013, 8:21 pm

Loved the show. Shows how hard the cattle business can be here in SWVA. Don’t know how people can judge what we do here or how we talk. At least I didn’t need subtitles to understand what was said. Hopefully there will be more shows.

38. Chris
    Gate City, Virginia
    August 9, 2013, 8:27 pm

Loved it! Shows how hard the cattle business can be. Also shows the humor that one tries to interject to keep us from going insane. People not from here don’t know our business or how we talk. At least I didn’t need subtitles to understand what was said.

39. Brad
    Virginia
    August 9, 2013, 9:22 pm

This show is awesome. My family watched this show and absolutely loved it. We recorded it and have watched it a few more times and still want more. This will be a smash hit. Big Tom is wonderful as he was in survivor. Please give us more episodes

40. Hazel
    Bluefield, VA
    August 9, 2013, 11:17 pm

This is a great show. To the naysayers from out west I say, come and see. Phony southern accents. Before throwing insults, educate yourself. Those accents are 100% authentic. It’s an interesting phenomenon. We can tell where someone is from, in VA, by listening to their accents. I’m two mountain’s over, from Rich Valley (for you negative westerners, that’d be about a 45 minute drive over twisting roads.

41. Hazel
    August 9, 2013, 11:33 pm

Oops posted too fast. Continuation of previous comment: 45 minutes to an hour drive….(depending on how fast you drive) Our accents are much different here. Going into Danville area, they have even more different accents than we do a mix of NC and VA, and towards Richmond they have a more Yankee accent. My sister, when visiting from Kentucky and listening to me have a conversation with a friend from Rich Valley, commented she didn’t understand a word we said. It’s all about dialect. As for not being able to farm cattle the way they do, don’t say that too loudly, we wouldn’t want the farmers doing it, to find out they can’t. It’s all about education people. Come on out and see, or better yet, watch more FAMILY BEEF, learn how the cattle farms thrive in the mountains and the valleys. It isn’t called RICH Valley for nothing. Oh, and the farmers over here, on this side of the mountain, raise cattle the same way the Buchanans do.

42. Robin
    Hillsville, VA
    August 10, 2013, 9:44 am

Hope to see many more episodes. A very entertaining show.

43. Carrie G
    Arlington, TX
    August 10, 2013, 11:47 am

I <3 this show, keep showing it please, please, I really enjoyed it!

44. William Tilson
    Chilhowie, VA
    August 13, 2013, 11:06 am

I have to say there isn’t anything phony about the accents. To the guys from Wyoming, I haul cattle all over the US and in Wyoming a rabbit has to pack his lunch to cross the road. One thing I enjoy is getting to see all the different operations across the country and they are all different. What works in our neck of the woods would not work in yours for sure but maybe getting off the ranch and traveling would enlighten ya’ll to there is no cookie cutter approach to farming or ranching. Almost comes off a little narrow minded thinking that because you can’t do it, no one else can. Actually I load over there quite often.

45. brandon
    bradshaw, wv
    August 13, 2013, 6:42 pm

I watched the show and loved it. Its become one of my favorite shows..hope to see more of the shows… It was very entertaining and showed how its really like to b working on a farm.. again its become my favorite show..

46. Christopher
    August 14, 2013, 5:30 pm

Love the show!!!….Give us more

47. Donna
    TN
    August 14, 2013, 7:34 pm

Loved the show. Always enjoyed watching characters, instead of the hum drum, ” We are always right personalities.” This family has character even in their own region. They are upbeat and funny! Humor goes a long way no matter what you are doing, and this family has plenty of it.

The people in the south have unique accents and very humble personalities which can be confused with “the dumbing down of america attitude” from those outside of the area. If you came to the area and experienced the culture, you will find that they are a lot more intelligent than they’ll let you know. Don’t be so quick to judge, cause that really is not an intelligent thing to do.

48. E R
    Charlotte, NC
    August 14, 2013, 10:16 pm

Too funny. Give us more!

49. Wayne
    Virginia
    August 15, 2013, 9:21 am

Loved the show. Plenty of good humor, along with an true reflection of the hard work it takes to run a family farm. Hope to see lots more!

50. Wilma
    Missiouri
    August 15, 2013, 9:42 pm

Love show ,hope keep on air. also other show Duke of Cattle it was awesome 3 cowboys.Two new shows Love them.

51. M A
    Smyth county va
    August 18, 2013, 8:56 am

This was a disgrace to the people of south west va. This is NOTHING like Duck Dynasty!!!!!!!!!! At least kids can watch Duck Dynasty!!!!! This is not a family oriented show!!!!!!!! This was the worst show EVER!!

52. Jennifer
    Virginia
    August 19, 2013, 10:50 am

I find that this show was an embarrassment to Southwest Virginia. I watched it because I was born and raised in Southwest Virginia. People from that area are hard working, educated people. I was very turned off by the bad language and would not encourage families of young children to watch this show together. It was really hard for me to watch this show because it shed a very bad light on that part of the country. I would have hoped that National Geographic would have been more responsible with how they portrayed cattle farming and families from Rich Valley, VA and Southwest Virginia in general.

53. Dan Grimsley
    Tarboro, NC
    August 21, 2013, 2:38 pm

I’ve known Tom and his family for approximately 10+ years now. I can tell you the show is great, just as the family. He is one of the most genuine persons I’ve ever known and good luck to his family and the show.

54. Jenny
    Louisiana
    August 24, 2013, 10:27 pm

I love this show!! My grandfather was a cattle farmer and this show brings back a lot good memories for me. This family seems to be the real deal. Such an entertaining bunch of folks to watch!! Way to go Nat Geo, you have a winner!!!

55. Bart
    Canada
    August 26, 2013, 4:32 pm

Was able to see the show while visiting in the states. Hope it comes to Canada

56. Sharon
    Durango,CO
    August 27, 2013, 9:39 pm

This is the stupidest show ever! Really? This family is supposed to portray a real ranch family? Give me a break. Not even close.

57. jim
    VA
    August 28, 2013, 8:20 pm

This show is a total waste of time. I want to know what kind of dope the folks at NATGEO were smoking when they thought this would be a good idea. The attempted humor was mediocre at best, and left the cast looking like they had sh*t for brains. Which probably isn’t too far off.

58. k.baby&big ed
    bristol
    August 28, 2013, 10:24 pm

you all put a lot of laughter in a lot of homes across AMERICA !we loved show ! thanks for showing and letting all of us see your day to day lives.

59. Terry
    Georgia
    August 29, 2013, 11:52 am

Great show keep them coming. NAT GEO

60. john johnson
    abingdon va
    August 29, 2013, 9:50 pm

stick to the beef boys u have made all of us look like dumb ass hill billys an using ur show to promote your tree service that’s taking work from us hard working tree workers in southwest va I hope nat geo can pay my house payments an feed my kids thinks

61. Lyn
    NC
    August 31, 2013, 3:07 pm

We loved the show and hope to see more. Real people doing real work. Change the channel if you don’t like it.

62. Jay
    Mississippi
    September 13, 2013, 10:45 pm

This show is funny and somewhat accurate. To those of you from out west, I understand that you can’t understand having 1,000 head of cattle on 2,000 acres. What you don’t understand is we get far more rain than you guys do. We can run many more cattle on way less acreage. I thought the show was pretty funny, and I can see how a lot of the show could actually happen. I’d love to see it become a series.

63. MJ
    US
    September 22, 2013, 2:09 am

Great show! Where are more episodes????