By Jamaal Avery, Segment Producer, Taboo USA

When Pony Play was brought to my attention for this segment I wasn’t quite sure what it was and what to expect. Once I saw pictures, I assumed this was just some kinky sexual activity. I had no knowledge of anything in the BDSM world and in fact I had to look up the definition of BDSM. Before meeting Persephone, I assumed she would be a handful being that she was a dominatrix and the trainer of her ponies. Upon meeting Persephone my view of her changed immediately, she welcomed us in her home and was very nice to us and even bragged to us about her herb garden.

Once Persephone fully explained and showed us what pony play was, I quickly realized that everything I thought this was going to be was actually not the case. While some people do engage in sexual acts during pony play, that is not a necessity. I learned that pony play is actually more of a role-play and that Persephone’s Pony Play was not sexual at all. Both Persephone and her pony Ivy both have committed boyfriends and they do not engage in any sexual acts outside of their relationships.

While some pony players play for the sexual stimulation they get from it, Mistress Persephone and Ivy Red do not do it for that reason at all. Mistress Persephone enjoys the power she has over a person and dominating them rather than “getting off on it.” Persephone’s pony does not play for any sexual reasons either, but likes to be dominated and be the center of attention which is why her costume is so detailed. The more intricate the costume, the better the experience they get out of it. The entire payoff for these ladies is for the pony to act like a real pony.

Our shoot was about three days long, and in those days I ended up being a part of that lifestyle—not to say I dressed up and participated, but just the impact of the people I met. Even though Persephone was the person I was filming, I mentally became a part of her world. When anyone would stare or say something under their breath, I found myself defending her and pony play. Being a non-fetish heterosexual African American male never in a million years would I think I would feel and care about someone like Persephone and pony play, but along the way she became my friend and I did for her what I would do for any my friends or family. In short, I learned acceptance. I walked away from this experience knowing 1.) There is nothing that can shock me. And 2.) It’s not what you do behind closed doors that shapes who you are.

Tune in to Taboo USA: Secret Passions tonight at 10P

Comments

1. Mistress Persephone
    San Francisco, CA
    June 6, 2013, 1:10 pm

Jamaal,

It was my pleasure working with you and your fantastic crew. I’d gladly open my home to you all again, anytime. The last day of the shoot was bittersweet because I enjoyed my time with you all so much. Thank you for giving me a chance to possibly open up people’s minds through this program and for being so kind to me.

I’m very touched by this!

Your friend,
    Persephone

2. Mia
    London, England
    June 18, 2013, 10:54 am

Even the dogs look weirded out by all of this ‘pony play.’ why don’t we just call it for what it really is: “weirdness.”

3. Ray
    July 7, 2013, 10:23 pm

Mia,
    Why is it “weirdness.” Just because you don’t like it and it’s not mainstream doesn’t make it weird. I don’t find it a turn on but if it isn’t hurting anyone then I say enjoy. To each their own. Society really needs to be more accepting of the lifestyles of others.

4. Beauty the Pony Boy
    December 13, 2013, 10:56 pm

Mia? Normal is a relative and subjective concept. What is normal for one person is the height of “weirdness” for others.

I enjoy pony play. I am a very fancy show pony, if I do say so myself. If you find it “weird” then by all means, don’t don any tack and don’t touch my reins. However, I’m very sure that there is something you like or that you do that I would find “weird.” The difference is, I celebrate diversity instead of mocking or deriding it.

That is to say, if a horse may have an opinion.

5. John
    February 12, 11:14 am

Hi Pony Boy (I’m not sure of your real name so I’ll just call you Hal… I dont want to be rude but the practice of Pony Play is not healthy.I dont care if its called normal or weird. When you take your identity as a human-being and give it away to pursue “Pony Dreams” you are cutting yourself short. To be straight… You are not a pony Hal. If you look in the mirror and see a small horse then I am amazed that a horse can type. I’m venturing that you are a created human-being. Practice the art of living as you are created and let the farm animals be real farm animals. You are opening a door to confusion Hal. When confusion is practiced… your compass is broken.

6. Levi
    Portland, Oregon
    March 22, 2:37 pm

John. John, John, John. You’re missing the point. For me, it’s about being the center of attention completely, and though I DO get off on it? Doesn’t mean that that’s what everyone else is in it for. Don’t criticize Pony Boy’s method of living. [content removed for language] leave the kinks and fetishes to those of us who know what they actually are. Thank you, and goodbye.

7. Naushad Ahmad
    India
    March 25, 10:01 am

why people are doing Pony play, what is the benefit of it.
    I think this is total useless thing, I think people are wasting the time and Energy and money also, if it is any use of this so, Please, Tell me about this, last night i was looking some shots of Pony Trainer on National Geography Channel and i was Shok, What is this why people are doing this.

8. slavepony
    Lexington,Ky
    April 4, 4:42 pm

If your into BDSM then you know that its not all about sex it has a lot of compounds involved. Each individual is different some of us prefer to serve and some prefer to be served.I could be wrong but it sounds like any other relationship. Till this idea was introduced into your head. Try to understand my point of view as I am yours.