Centennial Park Wedding

The community of Centennial Park, Arizona, was founded by a group of fundamental Mormons seeking a safe haven to practice their religion, a religion that practices polygamy. In this town, it is believed women are told by God who they should marry. Overseeing the matchmaking process is a group of men, known as The Brethren, who are believed to communicate directly with God. For young women, finding the name of the man they will marry is one of the biggest rites of passage towards adulthood.

Rose Marie, 18, has been praying for a name for her husband for two years but has not yet gotten one. Many of her friends are getting married and she is increasingly frustrated that she hasn’t found out who she belongs with. After cooking dinner for her nearly 25-person family, she debates whether she’s ready for moving onto the next stage of life and having a family of her own. Even if she doesn’t get direct word from God, she still has another option to find a husband – a process called “turning herself in” where she can counsel with The Brethren and gain their assistance in finding a name.

Hyrum, 22, was called to The Brethren with news. Kellie, 19, received his name from God to be her husband. He heads out with his buddies for one last hurrah before he ties the knot, while Kellie gets pedicures with some of her friends. Each group talks about the couple’s future – Hyrum and Kellie barely know each other and they each contemplate what their lives will be like together.

Tune in to Polygamy USA: God Has Spoken Tuesday at 9P

Comments

1. wendy
    Westchester County, NY
    June 9, 2013, 1:56 pm

Kellie was the smartest one. She picked the best looking guy in town, and will be the only one to be his legal wife. Its unfortunate though, that no one strives, nor are any young people encouraged to leave the community, to go to college, or see the world outside the confines of Centennial Park. If they did, I’m afraid they would realize just how brainwashed they are to only desire a life of subservience, and having more children/wives then they can comfortably afford.
    Having a sister wife may be fun in the beginning, but when the jealousy kicks in, the plural life style may not be all its cracked up to be. It’s not fun to live with the resentment that grows, when you know your husband is sleeping with someone else in the next room, and wife 1 realizes that wife 2 may be becoming the favorite. Maybe one day there will be a new off shoot group that practices polyandry. Now that would be fun.

2. karen
    illinois
    June 11, 2013, 9:44 pm

I think that the people portrayed on this show are brave, so faithful and really admirable for their sacrifices and commitment to their beliefs.They should be proud of who they are and receive decriminalization of polygamy.

3. Karin
    June 13, 2013, 10:57 pm

I guess Wendy missed every episode that featured Michael Cawley’s third wife, who delayed her marriage to Michael until she graduated from college. She’s a teacher at the Centennial Park school. In fact, I think Wendy should rewatch the few episodes that have aired. These people are clearly choosing to live a lifestyle they believe is spiritually correct. I have nothing but admiration for the people I’ve seen on this show and frankly, Im a little envious of the passion they feel for their religion and of their sense of community. These people are nothing like the FLDS. I wish them well.

4. Shannon
    June 14, 2013, 4:30 pm

Our country was founded on religious freedom. If somebody wants to practice polygamy, who cares, that’s their own business. But this episode with the storage containers that are going to be turned into bedrooms was too much for me. 8 x 10 bedrooms for the older children (isn’t a prison cell 8 x 10?) because they need more space. If I was this fool’s kid I’d run away before I’d live in that. If you can’t afford to keep your household afloat, here’s an idea – STOP HAVING KIDS! That goes for any religion as far as I’m concerned. If you can afford 20 kids, by all means have 20 if you want, but when the whole family has to sacrifice, for Pete’s sake stop already! I feel that way about anybody, any religion, people who want to have no religion, whoever it may concern – don’t make your kids suffer because you have some granduer ideas that you want 50 kids.

5. Leann
    June 16, 2013, 12:58 am

The majority of the adult portion of the community is college educated.

I am quoting Karin because she said the exact thing that is in my mind. “These people are clearly choosing to live a lifestyle they believe is spiritually correct. I have nothing but admiration for the people I’ve seen on this show and frankly, Im a little envious of the passion they feel for their religion and of their sense of community. These people are nothing like the FLDS. I wish them well.”

6. Alyse
    Utah
    June 20, 2013, 1:52 am

I am wondering if anyone can give me their religions website…I can find the LDS and the FLDS websites, but am not sure exactly what religion they practice and am interested in learning more.

7. Susannkae
    Michigan
    June 25, 2013, 6:27 pm

I guess I wish I had Shannon’s circumstances because my kids and most of the kids in my community live in bedrooms that are 8 x 10 or smaller. If they are larger, then there is more than one child in it.

If there is love between the adult family members and affection/love between the children the amount of space, within reason, isn’t an issue… is it?

And, running away?!!! I’ll with hold my comments about that…

8. Nancy
    Phoenix
    July 28, 2013, 8:05 pm

Is this show still on the air?