As deep winter sets in, four Alaskans living in the remote bush must gather and manage scarce resources to ensure their survival. In isolated Kavik, deep within the Arctic circle, Sue Aikens faces a life-and-death challenge when she returns to camp to find that thieves have pilfered her winter fuel supply. She feared a bear would be nested up in her home, but she could never have prepared for what she must face now. Sue discovers that her precious fuel has been stolen, and finds herself in unexpected danger on the -60F tundra. With a storm on the horizon, she prays she can have emergency fuel brought in by plane.

In Noorvik, on the west coast of Alaska, Chip and Agnes Hailstone are unable to access their hunting grounds until their river is frozen solid. Landlocked in town, the Hailstones must get creative to rummage up what they need to survive, bartering and trading what they do have for the essential items they lack. Chip takes the opportunity to try and make some extra cash by trapping fox on a relative’s land. The family has mixed fortunes but manages to stay ahead, for the time being.

On the opposite side of Alaska, in Eagle, Andy Bassich takes care of his dogs as a cold spell sets in and is forced to take dramatic action when he finds they are running low on dog food. Andy depends upon his dogs completely to help him travel and haul supplies through the frozen wilderness. But this year Andy miscalculated how much dog food he’d need, and because he is still unable to navigate the river trails and get to civilization, he too must call in an emergency aircraft to bring in food for the malamutes. Once the dogs are taken care of, he turns to nourishing himself and his wife Kate. His best bet is to try to trap a beaver in a nearby frozen pond.

In Wiseman, Erik Salitan arms himself for a mission to hunt down some meat for dinner and fur for selling. As he travels the frozen river on his snow machine, he spots fox tracks and follows on foot. He successfully comes away with two foxes, which he can use for bait and fur. Later in the day he scores again when he kills two ptarmigan. Erik returns home and celebrates with a hearty dinner for one.

Four people separated by hundreds of miles, all linked by the common need to survive the depths of winter in the Alaskan bush. The challenges are deadly real and the environment is a brutal opponent. One question looms: how long can they last during the long dark winter living Life Below Zero.

Tune in to Life Below Zero: Hunt, Barter, and Steal Sunday at 10P

Comments

1. Denise
    May 26, 2013, 9:25 pm

If Erik wants to be given any credit for being such a great and conscientious hunter, he needs to lose the scope. Totally an unfair advantage in the hunt. You may choose to live this way, but in many ways, it’s a luxury of its own kind and you are not playing on a level field, no matter how much you try to qualify your actions.

2. Sharon
    Oklahoma
    May 26, 2013, 9:42 pm

This show is a waste of time and the guy who kills animals for a 30 dollar fur is disgusting, and a scary loner who bears watching in case people start showing up skinned around his neck of the woods. Switched it off part way through the second episode and that is the last we will watch of that.

3. Tom
    May 30, 2013, 5:16 pm

What type of Rifle Eric has in this show?

4. George
    Inniisfree, Alberta
    May 30, 2013, 7:02 pm

Sue Aikens has been living alone way to long and her drama on this show has definitely ruined what had potential for a spinoff to the “Yukon Men”. Her overwhelming desire to take control of her scenes on this show is too much. How she manages to get guests to come to her camp during the summer months to hunt & fish is beyond me.

5. Maria
    Oregon
    May 30, 2013, 9:18 pm

I admire Erik for choosing to live independently and not standing at some street corner begging for money. He hunts for his food, and I am fairly certain not looking for “credit” to be able to hunt without a scope for christsakes! For you, Denise, to say having a scope to hunt is a “luxury” and “not playing on a level field” – are you out of your mind? I’d like to see you survive 1/2 day in that environment!

6. SAL
    pa
    May 30, 2013, 9:51 pm

I don’t understand why people live like that…….spend most of their days hunting for food and fuel,,,what the hell kind of life is that…….also like to know how long they continue that lifestyle……..to me it’s ^%$#$ nuts

7. TC
    May 30, 2013, 11:54 pm

Life Below Zero is a great program. It provides the viewer with a glimpse of what it is like to be able to live life on one’s own terms and to depend on one’s own ingenuity and adaptability to survive. The vast majority of us have lost that vision and capability. I would like to respectfully comment to previous posts – 1) to say that using a scope is an unfair advantage in the hunt is to liken that smart phone apps to identify stores with the best prices for goods is unfair and that utilizing GPS systems to direct the shopper to that location is unfair, and 2) Sharon, not sure if you caught it but the gentleman taking the animals for $30-40 per fur was going to utilize the animals taken for meat as well – nothing wasted.

8. Cuban
    Wi
    May 31, 2013, 7:47 pm

Most of the lower 48 folks don’t get it but this was life for everyone not too long ago. Boy have people become complacent with their suburban/ urban lives. Guess all of our food comes from grocery stores now

9. Leslie
    June 2, 2013, 8:58 am

I saw a blog yesterday that Chip had done chronicling a year of his families hunting, fishing ect.. There was tons of photos.. But now I can’t find it today to finish reading it. Does anyone know where I might find link. There is a blog called An Arctic View, but this is not the one I saw yesterday. Chip and Agnes, if you read these comments, Help. I love the show and enjoyed the part of the blog I got to read. Thank You

10. Jarrek
    Alabama
    June 3, 2013, 7:09 am

Denise, Sharon, and George are the exact reasons why people such as Erik and Sue choose the lives/lifestyles they have chosen. I think it’s great and you have to admire them for roughing it as they do. Sue’s banter brings great applause from our circle of friends who watch the show. Erik is only doing what must be done to survive. I’ve grown up hunting, fishing, and farming as a means for subsistence. I don’t think many people today can remotely relate.

11. Eric
    pa/alaska
    June 3, 2013, 10:11 am

I currently live in rural Pa and took a job in alaska right off the bering strait. This show has been great. I will soon be loving in an area very much like these. I am seeing how some people barter goods, work with others, and just surviving. Thanks for this show. I know a lot of my friends are watching to see how I’ll live.

12. Jim
    June 4, 2013, 1:35 pm

I love the show. I am very facinated by how people in bush Alaska actually live.I have hunted in Alaska & Canada many times and it is some rough country.Often wondered if I had what it takes to do this, but after watching this and other shows, I dont think so.I would love to try it though.About the comment on using the scope I feel its personal preference. The game already has the edge. Use of a scope does level the playing field somewhat. Survival is tough sometimes.

13. gayle
    Wisconsin
    June 4, 2013, 4:40 pm

DID Likens ever find out who had been to her camp & used/took her fuel?

14. Brian
    Charlotte NC
    June 6, 2013, 8:36 pm

Denise- is the rifle and jacket also an “unfair” advantage? Maybe he just run around in his undies chucking rocks at animals?

15. Patricia
    June 6, 2013, 9:44 pm

Where do these people get their incomes to afford all the gas for generators and snowmobiles, satellite internet, dog food for 10+ dogs, and in certain cases – cigarettes? I can’t believe trapping for furs can generate that much income.

16. Scott
    June 7, 2013, 1:16 am

I like this show. If you don’t, you probably should go back to watching American Idol or some other stupid nonsense.

17. steve wilson
    chattanooga tn
    June 8, 2013, 6:19 pm

erik i have bn wanting to move for some yrs now and i wanted to know how to go abt moveing to a place where you live and what the cost would be to get a cabin and the things to get me started plz let me know thanks steve wilson

18. Donna
    New Orleans
    June 9, 2013, 12:44 pm

Live and let live… Oh yeah, it’s a good show, my kids love it and so do I. I want my children to see that depending on self and true freedom = happiness. To each, his own.

19. Don
    Virginia
    June 11, 2013, 7:41 pm

While I like the show overall…

If I have to hear another word from Sue about all the critters that are out there just waiting to eat her.. I am going to puke. She is definitely the drama queen in the bunch. Yeah.. I know there are wild animals out there.. and I know if they found her dead carcass in the snow she would be the next fast food. But to repeat it over and over and over and over and over and over.,… and then multiply that 10x. If that’s all she brings to the show.. she needs to be axed from it.

20. kate godlewski
    i love he show
    June 13, 2013, 7:51 pm

love he show…..moore love the people who r in he show…will be nice if i can make friends or at least email addres???can i ask this ng please?????

21. kate godlewski
    ny
    June 13, 2013, 7:53 pm

omg now u really know wha the world is about………..love it.

22. Terri
    No. California
    June 14, 2013, 12:25 pm

I don’t know if NG reads these posts or not but there are a couple of independent blogs “coming your way” aimed at NG and Erik Salitan. I totally admire and support people who live off the land, independently providing shelter and food for themselves. Afterall, if you are a meat eater (and obtain your meat from a store) then it’s time for a reality check. That being said, I will NEVER accept/tolerate the horrificly inhumane and cruel practice of trapping animals for fur. Mechanical trapping an animal, period, should be totally outlawed. It is the cruelest form of pain, suffering and death—-and who in the hell gives any human being the right to do that to another creature. But to torture and kill an animal, solely to skin it out so you can sell its fur is beyond unconscionable. I thought you were some big, important licensed tracker, Erik (so you say)—don’t you have enough clients or do you just condone causing an animal to suffer a horrible death just so you can put a few dollars in your pocket? Doesn’t NG pay you enough? Word to the wise, NG: it would appear that you are already losing a substantial number viewers of Life Below Zero (I am now one of them) simply because they do not tolerate the torturous killing of fur animals. I liked LBZ until I saw Erik preparing his horrificly cruel leg traps—-now I have removed it from my auto record and will never watch it again. Shame on you National Geographic. One additional note: I agree with one comment here that Sue needs to find something (ANYTHING) else to talk about other than all of the wild animals that she believes are stalking her every move. Over and over……..ad nauseum .

23. Terri
    No. California
    June 16, 2013, 1:23 pm

P.S. I did want to add that I love National Geographic media: I read your magazine and watch many of your shows. Thanks for the great journeys!

24. Jerry F. Lee
    APPALACHIAN MOUNTAINS
    June 16, 2013, 2:33 pm

I have hunted all my life and the first thing my father a Champion Bird Dog Breeder taught me was when a hunter takes a creatures life he owes it a sacred duty to do quickly and humanely. I cringed when looking at the husband and wife, the wife taking impossibly long shots with an antiquated Russian rifle with iron sights and inevitably and with almost absolute certainty WOUNDING THE CARIBOU BECAUSE THEY DID NOT KNOW HOW TO PROPERLY CONDUCT A STALK, THEREBY CLOSING THE DISTANCE AND SHE COULD NOT HIT THE BROAD SIDE OF A BARN! All of this despite her husbands constant bragging about her “hunting experience” I believe he let her do the shooting because he couldn’t!!! This jerk is a FRAUD through and through as a hunter, and NATGEO should be ashamed of filming this idiot wrestling this poor animal and cutting its’ throat, when any humane hunter knows the only humane way to dispatch a wounded animal is a quick shot to the brain. A good example was the young man who had to put down the cat caught in the trap, with a well placed shot. It is no wonder that hunters are held in such low esteem, when these idiots are held out as “experienced subsistence hunters”. The truth of the matter is if it were not for the great abundance of game in the beautiful expanse of ALASKA THESE IDIOTS WOULD STARVE,AND WHO COULD FEEL FOR THEM GIVEN THEIR UNFEELING SELFISH NATURE. It is clear NATGEO should have a new series next season, ” Killers of ALASKA” with these people as the stars and the wolves as the enlightened participants! GOOD GRIEF!

25. Henry
    FL
    June 20, 2013, 11:20 am

Hunting animals is fine with me if you need the food. Trapping is not. The trapped animals are left out there for days to suffer until the trapper checks the traps. Often they are not killed quickly with a bullet since the trapper does not want a hole in the fur. It lowers the value of the fur. Instead, the trapped animal is strangled or clubbed by the trapper There is no sportsmanship in this. I know, for a fact, that people on this show use that method.

26. Merri Ann
    California
    June 20, 2013, 9:54 pm

I have been haunted by the Hailstone’s daughter going off with Dad to club rabbits and looking forward to it.

27. Alan
    June 20, 2013, 10:14 pm

They’re just rabbits. There are tons of them around. Being strangled/clubbed is a quick and painless way to die.

28. Cory
    Florida
    June 20, 2013, 11:59 pm

If someone with information about how I can purse this life style, me and my brother already generally are country boys that hunt and survive off the land in the woods of north florida and have scene the show and would like the take the Alaska challenge. if anyone can tell me how mush start up cost and everything to get me started. I can take it from there but I would like some info in anyone can. Please and thank you

29. dixie loftin
    Vidor Tx
    June 24, 2013, 1:18 pm

Sue what is our job,how do you make money?

30. Diane Hopps
    Hillman,Michigan
    June 24, 2013, 6:26 pm

Chip does absolutely nothing to help his wife. He has a maid! When I saw her lift that heavy motor, from the snowmobile, I thought, what does she need him for? And the man that lives by himself is creepy. I can see why he lives there, he doesn’t fit in with society!

31. Rich Buzzeo
    new jersey
    June 28, 2013, 9:56 am

Life below zero.One qusetion,in case I missed it, who the hell is filming that drama queen Sue?Is she covered by remote camers or what? I can’t imagin a camera crew living with her

32. Mike Lewin
    Farmington, MN
    July 1, 2013, 11:56 am

Sue Atkins: What are you taking care of? Is it a mining or hunting camp? Stop calling the little white birds derogatory names.

33. Mike Lewin
    Farmington, MN
    July 1, 2013, 12:01 pm

What would happen if I came across a Wolverine in Erik’s trap and I tried to free it? Would it bite my neck?

34. Larry W
    Mich
    July 2, 2013, 11:25 am

Love the show, think all the people out there have a lot of guts to do it. Sue should use her heavy equipment to build a snow bank out to where the white birds nest so she could get out there without being seen.

35. Ron
    July 11, 2013, 1:39 am

Why do the Hailstone’s eat pieces of RAW fish with the blubber? How about cooking the fish? They are also depicted sitting on the floor eating. How about a kitchen table?

36. Ron
    July 11, 2013, 2:07 am

Sue Aikens needs a shooting bench on the roof of the building and a good .308 bolt-action rifle with a quality scope. That way she could nail the wolverine at long range.

37. Bob
    Colorado
    July 11, 2013, 11:39 pm

What does Sue Atkins do for a living,I never see anyone else there

38. Ron
    July 13, 2013, 6:58 am

Sue Aikens is the manager of Kavik River Camp. I would think that she would want a dog around, a German Shepherd.

39. Larry
    Wis
    July 13, 2013, 7:06 pm

With all due respect to her past reported encounters with a grizzly, Sue’s constant description of every animal wanting to eat her is ruining any otherwise interesting TV reality show . Like other such shows some cast member always seems to want to be the most dramatic actor and plays up to the cameras. Her job is interesting, she is not.

40. Rich
    Boston
    July 13, 2013, 7:27 pm

My Hod the Halestones are complete idiots. Born to lose. Erik is the man. Sue Aikens needs to tone down the tough broad routine. Andy needs anger management or meds. Love the show, lol.

41. bryan
    colorado
    July 14, 2013, 11:49 pm

What is the deal with this clown named “chip” he has never lifted his gun at a animal!! He must be a convicted felon! To bad because his wife is the shitest shot I ever seen!! You would think with those kind of skills (done) that she would have a rifle at least made in the nineteys!!! They are so stupid its painful to watch!! To bad because the idea of the show is great!! P.s the women named “she” WHAT A JOKE!!! OMG. …..really!!

42. Ron
    July 16, 2013, 4:00 pm

Trivia questions for enthusiasts of military surplus rifles: What is the Model and Mfg. of the Mosin Nagant rifle used by Agnes Hailstone on the caribou hunt? This is the one she is using with open sights. Also, what is unique about the bore of this rifle?

43. Ron
    July 16, 2013, 4:09 pm

I must say that I am saddended to see the series ending. However, there are some real oddities about this show. Let us take Erik. The young lad is 29 years old. I am guessing the solar rig that he has is quite expensive: maybe $15,000 – $25,000? He has a snow machine AND an airplane. HOW does such a young lad manage acquiring such equipment?

44. Dan
    Alaska
    July 17, 2013, 2:49 am

Sue you are so full of it! The tracks you show while hunting moose are not moose they are snowshoe hare and so is the bark chewed from the brush. good thing you have all your supplies flown in otherwise you’ld starve.
    People these folks on this show are not typical alaskans they are a joke.

45. Michael
    Minnesota
    July 17, 2013, 10:29 am

Erik Salitan is a meat hog. I never saw anyone eat so much meat or kill so many animals. He needs to lay off the protein a little.

46. Michael
    July 17, 2013, 10:47 am

Andy Bassich: Why don’t you move your house to higher ground to avoid the spring floods? I thought I saw a hill behind your house. Couldn’t the dogs stay with you on higher ground, or does the Federal Government own that land and they won’t let you build there?

47. Michael
    July 17, 2013, 10:57 am

Erik Salitan should use a gas-powered ice auger. They really are not that expensive. Nobody uses a chainsaw to cut a hole in the ice where I live. Instead of taking 4 hours, it would only take him 2 minutes to drill a hole.

48. Ron
    July 18, 2013, 1:27 am

Yes, a gas-powered ice auger for Erik. How embarassing for Eric: all that time cutting through the ice and hitting muddy water. I wish he would have checked the depth. It must have been 2′-0 deep there no? I was looking forward to Erik pulling out a couple of Pike.

49. josh g
    chicopee ma
    July 19, 2013, 12:24 am

I enoy this show and give great respect for them to live life to the the fullest and be self suficiant. One thing that pisses me off tho is the guy and girl couple that dnt kno how to shoot there is no reason to miss that many shots every time they hunt they need to learn to shoot before they hunt anymore and stop putting the animals in a situation were they will suffer

50. Wilderness fan
    Tennessee
    July 21, 2013, 5:17 pm

I Love these kinds of shows, and I am constantly surprised and impressed by how people can adapt and survive. But I have to agree that hearing Sue talk about everything stalking her to eat her is beginning to gnaw at my nerves. And Chip needs to quit bragging about how well Agnes shoots. Hell, I dont know how they feed all those people with the luck they have. I for one am glad Erik is up there, what with his desire to kill and skin everything in his living room. But the show entertains me and I do give credit to them, I know I couldnt do it, but I might have shot and skinned Andy if he ever yelled at me like he does his wife.

51. Laura
    MI
    July 21, 2013, 7:09 pm

Does anyone know the name of the font used during the show? (ie on the black map background – the white text identifying the town…)

52. kim gore
    mississippi
    July 22, 2013, 7:43 am

love the show. would like to be able to penpal some folks in Noorvik and would love to buy goods from them like mukluks or gloves etc or can send them stuff from the mainland if needed. hope someone from there gets in touch with me thru email. thank you

53. Eleanor Kutney
    PA
    July 22, 2013, 12:35 pm

I really hate to see the series end. Andy and his wife are great the way they work together. I don’t understand how Sue has the physical strength to do all that she does ! The Hailstones-she does all the work. NOW Erik–has a serious “kill” problem. Take your truck, go to Fairbanks with all of your pelts, and buy some carbs !!! BatTle Please continue the series.

54. Mike
    Minnesota
    July 22, 2013, 3:29 pm

I saw Agnes Hailstone chasing down the wolf with her snowmobile, after she failed to shoot the first one. She gets about 10 yards from it, then quickly stops her sled, dismounts and shoots the wolf. That’s cheating.

55. Jim
    ohio
    July 22, 2013, 7:24 pm

Great show. Too bad no one ever told those alaskan folks that there are big paying jobs behind every mountain, and the meat from stores don’t come from living animals.

56. Jim
    July 22, 2013, 7:46 pm

Great show..

57. dennnis
    season 2
    July 23, 2013, 6:22 pm

is there any news on a season 2????

58. Bill O
    California
    July 25, 2013, 2:24 pm

I agree with many of the comments here except the ones bagging on the trappers and hunters. They are just part of the chain and do well at hard work and providing for themselves as did our forefathers!! As for Sue, it would be good to tie a pork chop around her neck and end the misery she is in. If I quit watching, it will be because she wasn’t eaten yet

59. linda
    staten Island,ny
    July 25, 2013, 8:08 pm

why doesn’t Sue Atkens put up solar palnes? to heat her homes?

60. Matt
    Somewhere
    July 26, 2013, 2:05 am

Has anyone figured out the font used? Also I’m pretty sure that the native female does the shooting b/c she has legal privileges the white guy doesn’t. Sue should walk down the streets of the Bronx for a week to know something about predators, a 14 year old from a rooftop shoots better than her, and the native girl for that matter. “Now Princess you club the bunnies when they get in the net.” I guess its just entertainment.

61. Joe Lee
    illinois
    July 27, 2013, 3:59 am

I watch the show and mostly enjoy it.. one asked how long these people live this way.. their entire life I guess.. PBS ran special about a man that went there at 52 yo and stayed till 86yo and left due to not being able to stand cold winters.. went to Anchorage and died shortly after.. people in warm lower 48 cant imagine giving up wal mart or mcdonalds and such..these people are there to live.. their way.. Eric does not grow top of the line food so as to attract animals into his fields and charge hunting enthusiast $3000 to kill a trophy buck to hang the head on their wall. he does guide enthusiastic hunters that go there to hunt mainly so they will not get lost and die not being able to survive in that environment. THEY ARE NOT ON MEDICARE/MEDICAID.. they live with what they have and can trade for.

62. Ron
    July 27, 2013, 7:23 am

Come on Mike! Agnes isn’t cheating. The snow machines make things more equal to the wolf’s speed. Remember, these folks are harvesting these animals to provide for their families.

63. Laura
    Southern California
    July 27, 2013, 9:47 am

Life Below Zero – one of the two best shows on TV. The other has been Ultimate Survival Alaska. Anyone who can ask the questions that bloggers have asked about the participants sincerity and “realness” need to spend some time in Alaska – solo. If you can even ask those question, you won’t understand the answer anyhow.

64. Laura
    Southern California
    July 27, 2013, 9:51 am

PLEASE BRING IT BACK !! Would love to see Season Two of LIFE BELOW ZERO with the same characters – didn’t want to see it end. Want to see more for sure! The characters are all so different and yet they share the love of Alaska and the wilderness. Best show on TV. PERIOD!!

65. rwclanton
    golden, co
    August 1, 2013, 7:29 pm

why is it the “women”that want equal rights bitch the most about sue aikens. she is right when i heard her say iam the last frontier. the that could hang and give a soul mate is gotta be an alpha male,shes an alpha female. so all u b%&*+$s haten on sue go camp on friggin nite in a koa camp ground alone and we can watch u tremble in fear while sue and Mrs.Hailstone will stand off a griz while you weak girls would let a griz eat thier kids to protect thier handbag!
    Sue big fan,
    big R

66. rwclanton
    golden
    August 1, 2013, 7:47 pm

in addition u people that r critical of people that live another way r the same asses that hold liberal beliefs save a few rare ex…,u are the asses that believe in diversity and pita, and other crap why dont u go live in a cozy socialistist country where all are equal, diversity that u jerks love is gone cuz u dont understand another way. u ass hole libs are as bad as any islamic christian mormon fundementalist that what to tell other what is right. screw u all……. hypocritical asses. Are all these posts i read written by 20yo college libs? im no shakespear but u assholes are hypocrites. i ve traveled, know all major industry and know how tough it is without store or industry that u lib jerks claim to hate. none of u asses could live a week where these people do. i love u haters cuz u give new meaning to hypocrite. thats my soapbox defending these brave people.

67. Amelia
    PA
    August 1, 2013, 8:58 pm

This show is unwatchable. It seems like the people have untreated mental illness. I love how they consistently try to convince the viewers that they love their life. They must be very dirty, I have never seen any one of them speak about bathing and/or washing their clothes.

68. jackie
    ny
    August 3, 2013, 6:17 pm

How Much Do These People Get Paid Per Episode?

69. Eleanor Kutney
    August 6, 2013, 3:05 pm

to “just wondering” in CO. Good read ! Does NOT surprise me either.

70. Carter Edwards
    KS
    August 6, 2013, 8:16 pm

I like the show. What prompted me to comment was the amount of vitriol posted here and the absolute certainty that people use to judge others lives.

Eric may look like a nut – which in my mind is a very shallow opinion to have of someone you’ve never met – but he lives how he wants to, he doesn’t break laws, he doesn’t hurt anyone else.

Blows my mind how so many people like to tell others how to live. Some of the posters need a reality check. If we film your life and your materialism it would never end. What are you eating? Where is it from? How is it killed? Are you overweight? Are you a drain on social security? How many hours per day do you watch TV?

Statistically speaking – using facts – my *guess* is Eric probably has far less impact on the world than those of us shopping at Sam’s and buying 30 packs of beer. And I like beer. I just don’t tell other people they’re drinking the wrong kind.

It’s fine not to like a show or argue facts but to attack others for no other reason than personal opinion probably indicates faults of your own.

Three examples:

Bathing. Since the cameramen haven’t been in the bathroom with them, I don’t know how often they bathe. Yet a poster is sure they must be miserable because they don’t bathe.

A kitchen table. Some of the most populous and ancient civilizations in the world don’t even use silverware.

Cheating for using a scope. Eric is trying to hunt, not enter a competition. Opinion is fine. Don’t use a scope. But calling it cheating?

And then there’s people just calling them nuts for living out there. Good Lord.

71. MeMe
    NC
    August 8, 2013, 5:36 pm

I can not believe National Geographic shows such cruelty to animals. Gut shooting a caribou and letting it bleed out??? Trapping animals is horrible traps. I thought that NG protected animals.

72. Jake Stehli
    Wisconsin
    August 8, 2013, 6:00 pm

To Carter Edwards, OMG you’re my hero! And I am serious and NOT being sarcastic. I myself could not even fathom of a lifestyle of Alaska because I am too dependent on modern luxury. But I totally understand them for not wanting the suburban status quo lifestyle and I believe people should not be viewed as “nuts” for living for themselves or not understanding the negative social games one must “play” in order to not be viewed by others as “crazy”! thank you!

73. Ron
    August 13, 2013, 2:39 am

To MeMe. I didn’t get from the show that a caribou was gut shot and bleed out. I saw one with a spine shot and they cut it’s throat. No responsible hunter would ever gut shoot a game animal. The meat would be ruined. The most responsible shot would be to the heart/lung area. The fur-bearing critters stealthy and the best to harvest them is with a trap.

74. Buck owen
    kotzebue
    August 16, 2013, 6:56 am

Yep, ol’ Chip was convicted of a Felony just as the show started, and his wife hunting with him isnt new at all ,its with a camera crew in tow with a big black camera and 3-4 extra guys along has had a tough time, but that woman stands behind her man, I think she told us she was there and knew he told truth too, and since the evidence was proven to be fake, Mr. hailstone hasnt seen a day of jail, and is still working his butt off, just like his wife does. She wont let him sit for sure. Maybe its not interesting to watch a man chop wood, tan skins , repair rides outsie at -30, or dig outhouse holes, or remodel their house, one room at a time, camp or put up fishing racks or home school his kids, thats all mundane besides they seem to be concentrating on Agnes and shes a fine Inupiaq ties to most all of us here in the Kotzebue areas. We know them both and they both work work work, no slacking there.

75. Susie
    October 1, 2013, 7:47 pm

I really would like to continue to watch this program but I don’t tune in to hear G d, s o b, and more curse words you manage to bleep the F word so bleep the others , and yes I can change the Chanel.

76. Buck Owen
    kotzebue
    October 19, 2013, 4:40 am

Chip has been writing about his life with his family for many years. hes a quiet guy whenit comes to himself, he will answer any question, but he wont offer up or boast, as a good Hunter shouldnt.
    Here is the link the poster above asked for.

i read it like 4 times, it’s not only awsome, I also saw myself in a couple pictures, so thats very cool. I like the show because its closer to documentry than a drama reality show. At least we know the Hailstones are as real as they can be with Hollywood takeing film and doing what they do with it. We saw Agnes and some kids out in the ocean and a boat with filming equipments, I hope they film season 2.

77. Michael B
    California
    November 4, 2013, 4:46 pm

I dont care what anybody says i love Chip and Agnes’s life. Keep your head up Chip if you ever get bored drop me a line.

78. Michael B
    California
    November 5, 2013, 5:14 pm

Hi Buck,

If there is anyway maybe we can help out Chip through the hard times. If there’s a way let me know ok. ill check forum everyday just in case you answer.

79. Big Boy
    Southeast USA
    November 22, 2013, 10:16 am

Agnes is hot. I love watching her wield that old Mosin Nagant.

80. Maire
    Detroit MI
    November 26, 2013, 6:51 pm

I love this show. I am not a hunter but have fished alot in my lifetime. I get exhausted thinking about having to do all that work to stay alive. I have wood outside my door & most times am too lazy to make a fire. I don’t think I could make it out there. I think the true survivor is Agnes (Chip), born & raised as an eskimo really gives her family a super survival, you go girl! I would also like to know if we can send them care packages & goodies.

81. Sue from PA
    PA
    November 28, 2013, 6:16 pm

I love the show. In August I traveled to Alaska by myself for two weeks. I met a lot of folks living off of the grid and avoided some homeless hostile people in Anchorage when they tried to get into my rental car. I have great respect for folks living off of the land. I’m surprised about the level of negativity about the show…if you don’t like it, change the channel….watch Honey Bo Bo

82. Jenn
    Anchorage AK
    November 28, 2013, 8:17 pm

@Ron in Texas– you are the biggest IDIOT EVER! Your random and blatantly ignorant comments speak volumes of your experience with firearms and hunting. Maybe your wife has access to head meds for aiding in dealing with your stupidity
    Sincerely,
    Alaskan Native that thinks you’re an idiot

83. Jenn
    Anchorage AK
    November 28, 2013, 8:21 pm

At Carsen Edwards- exactly!

84. Ron
    November 29, 2013, 1:45 am

I am seeing on NatGeo that the season finale of LBZ
    is this coming Tuesday. HOW can the season be ending already?

85. Cheryl
    Indiana
    November 30, 2013, 11:03 pm

My husband and I watch the show. It seems these people’s life consists of simply trying to keep warm and having enough to eat. After watching the show, I feel guilty being able to just go to the grocery store, gas station, and refrigerator. It also makes me realize what a blessing to have clean, safe water by simply turning on the faucet.

86. virgil burkhart
    lily kentucky
    December 3, 2013, 2:07 am

nothing personal but i think the show sucks these people just bitch and bitch about how rough it is there yes it is probley the worst place to live in america could not pay me enough to live there but tey volinteer no one makes them live there i know that woman that runs that out post i guess it is a out post bitches about one thing or another she is one tough woman i will admitt but give me a break things are truley rough there so what you got fuiel stolen and bears are all around it is your chose to live there no one makes you so get over it or leave she tries to be a drama queen when i watch and she comes on i turn the chanel i can do that my choise
    all these so called reality shows needs to be droped my opian and these produsers keep coming out with more and more and by the way all these people get paid and pretty good i would think so stop all the drama i watch tv for entertaiment not to listen and see people whine about ever thing we all have problems that is life

87. Christian
    Norway
    December 3, 2013, 7:40 pm

Ahhhhh, i wish i could come work for Sue in wintertime, learn a bunch and enjoy the enviroment :D:D:D

88. hobb
    Michigan
    December 3, 2013, 9:06 pm

I respect the work ethic of the people; but I am dismayed at how many posted that the characters live by their “ingenuity and wits, something the rest of us lost”? Well, I think it takes a lot of ingenuity and wit to manuver your way around a lifeless, dangerous, city and not be a victim; courage to hold a drudge job or look for one in order to take care of your family….I am tired of the pedestal treatment for people who hunt and shaming of people who do not. Sue drinks scotch and smokes cigars, the inuit family have way too many guns, and the dude shooting bears is a carbon copy of someone I knew back in “86 AK—-the fact is they have shopping malls and macdonalds in AK and satelite tv, and big darned log cabin mansions on sides of mountains occupied by republicans…..Pleeze stop with the romancing of nature and all the ridiculousness…..it is what it is; these folks like it different and its payed off a little….by the way Erik try some Muskol for the Muskegg………tootle

89. Kimberly
    Utah
    December 3, 2013, 10:12 pm

Love the show! And the font that is used in the show. Does anyone know the name of the font used during the show?

90. Barbara McKee
    Georgetown, Tx
    December 3, 2013, 11:42 pm

I sure miss Eric! What happened to him? I enjoy almost everyone (except Glenn) on the show. I have deep respect for all of them.

91. Neil
    Smoky Mtns
    January 15, 2:57 am

You bleeding-heart bedwetters are sadly hilarious and so out of touch with our past. Its only for a small sliver of recent human history that we have been away from this subsistence level of existence. Not everyone has the benefit of soft, spoiled suburban living with stores mere minutes away and some chose to / have to earn their food the traditional way. I see noting wrong with the little girl looking forward to rabbit clubbing with dad. My grandad did the same with his cage-raised rabbits and its quick and clean. If you are too gentile and refined, just turn the channel and stop your snooty , holier-than-thou whining. They are fur and food animals for goodness sakes. As for the use of a scope being an unfair advantage, who decides “unfair?” Put down the People magazine, please. A scope allows a more precise shot and therefore a cleaner, more humane kill. Plus try telling a hungry kid “Well Suzy I would have some food for you buuuuut its just not fair to use that glass.” Some of you should just practice self-extinction since you believe humans to be a scourge.

92. Andrew
    upstate
    March 11, 8:50 pm

Totally agree with Neil and want to add a thought or two. Regulated hunting and yes even trapping helps maintain healthy numbers of animals. Its a fact so get over it already. The next time you go shopping and purchase a synthetic fur/fiber coat, gloves, hats or other outerwear, keep in mind the manufacturing plants and factories that pump/spill billions of tons of pollutants per year into the environment so you can enjoy your holier than thou attitude about how “horrific” and cruel trapping an animal is. They use every bit of the animals they trap for food and clothing and bartering, AND…there’s no environmental damage that affects the environment from the practice which has been around for thousands of years. Im a hunter and always dispatch my game as quick as possible. But i know there are game animals that cant be hunted effectively by traditional methods, and hence you have trapping. Its not nice. Its not pretty, and its never going to be. Its survival. Given the choice of company with these people who have the courage to make tough choices or some of you clueless, gutless cry babies, I’d rather live with them in their world than starve with you in yours.

93. Horace Short
    Boston
    March 21, 11:33 pm

What a great show, please continue it. I have nothing but love and respect for all the cast for living the way they do, Agnes you are the bomb.

94. Judith Nowak
    Detroit
    April 4, 10:11 am

I will stop watching it if they leave Eric on there, would like to see his tax returns. No reason for the inhumane trapping he does a lot of . Some states require you to check traps in 24 hours he doesnt. What does he need all this money for he is getting paid from Nat Geographic ??Hes not eating wolves

95. Unknown ODA Sniper
    Afghanistan
    April 9, 11:03 pm

What befuddles me is how you all, are complaining about a T.V. show and how all they do is complain…. (lol) or that a person who has obviously never hunted or fired a weapon calls using optics, cheating. (Try it before you criticize it. Most of you probable couldn’t make a shot further than 300M and would call that EXTREME long Range shooting). In 7 Combat deployments, currently serving my 8th… I have seen many things…most of which I would never repeat, because of the brutality of the nature in which it I saw it happen. My point is, there are far worse things in life than trapping hunting and living a solitude life style…. I could complain about many myself having lived in a 3rd world country roughly ½ of my military career. To provide for your family or yourself isn’t that what we are all doing in a scenes. (Trapping actually promotes a healthier species in animal numbers just for the unmediated folk. )
    The reality of the situation is this, while from the comfort of your Lazy Boy, you can sit back criticize call PETA, and say that’s cruelty to animals, and …wow, why did they gut shot that animal. What you didn’t see is how hard they worked for several days if not weeks.. not minutes to harvest that one animal. All you saw were the five minute commercials in between when you got off your lazy ass to get your cheese burger meal you probably didn’t need to eat to begin with. They might have seen 10 animals but only had a clean shot at one. You don’t feel the blood and sweat they went through, to provide for their families and extended families. You failed to realize, how they depend upon each other for their survival. One animal goes to feed several families and villages, Guess what….they don’t hunt for trophies. It’s the Lower 48 hunters (like TX RON) who go to Alaska to trophy hunt.
    It wasn’t but 100 years ago that our grandparents lived to survive that very same way. The problem today is, you are all dependent upon our McD’s, Wal-marts, fast food, and Starbucks, and the instant gratification. We have developed obese and, robust children, who have heart attacks and diabetes and are raised with a fucked up set of morals and standards. You would rather place your children in front of the T.V. and Play Stations, because you don’t know how to be real parent like our forefathers. Maybe you should worry more about what your doing to impact your communities and less in reality T.V. Maybe if we focused more on things that would make a difference, there would be less shootings in the Lower 48. We need more parent control and less gun control. (I could go on and on and on for days about today’s societies but I won’t)
    I read a post from someone stating why they were still hunting when there were McD’s, grocery stores and Wal-Mart’s there, which is partially true, in the major cities, but not in Wiseman, Eagle or Noorvik maybe you could you direct me to the Wal-Mart or Starbucks in Wiseman, Eagle or Noorvik? Cause I haven’t seen them open there yet.
    Regardless, it’s the people who complain the most who deserve the least, and those who complain need to work for NASA, because you are occupying to much time and space.

Bob Lee Swagger: I’m just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns
    Unknown: If you don’t stand behind your Military then stand in front of them!

96. rick
    fairbanks
    April 13, 12:07 pm

An amazing show Are there cabins to rent up in wiseman? They should run survival tours up there Pay Eric to not feed us and let us live off the land. That will be something to tell the grandkids about If you live that long

97. billy ray
    deep south la.
    April 14, 3:11 pm

people like the ones on here crying are the exact reason they live there.they don’t have to hear you see you care about you or your oppinions.your just reinforcing they’re decision to move there.

98. billy ray
    deep south la
    April 15, 3:55 pm

chip hailstone proudly displays the arian nation tattoo on his right fore arm.if its colored in,wich his is,it means you’ve killed for them.convicted felons cant have guns so agnes does the shooting.thats all I have to say about that.

99. Al
    FL
    April 17, 8:33 pm

I like this show but I couldn’t live with Andy. What a complainer. He lives in one of the most beautiful places in the world and his homestead looks awful. He should clean up his yard and then he’d be to tired to cry all the time.

100. steve
    st petersburg,fl
    April 18, 2:10 pm

I used to watch this show until I got tired of Sue and her I am a bad ass she/he..never see her get food from the wild and always bragging about how tough she is. and now Eric is gone and he was very interesting to watch along with the rest but Sue really makes this show for me unpleasant

101. Jeanine Martin
    Redlands, CA
    April 19, 10:14 pm

I absolutely love this show!!! I admire all of these people and I find Sue very entertaining. Their different…you would have to have a different mindset to live where they do. My question to all the viewers who complain that they eat too much protein, cheat using a rifle with a scope, and are horrified that the animals get their throats cut…why do you watch?

102. Douglas
    Tucson
    April 22, 12:22 am

I used to like the show until it became obvious these ‘characters’ steal relentlessly from the environment to fulfill their selfish and ego-centered life styles. Andy and Kate: Andy is beyond abusive and Kate is the poster child for the victim of abuse. Erik: Just plain scary. If killing animals with steal traps and knowing full well they suffered a cruel death is his idea of ‘his favorite thing in life’, wow, what’s his 2nd favorite thing in life? Beating baby seals with a club to make $5 per pelt? Chip and Agnes: If ‘tradition’ involves hunting with an inaccurate rifle, running wolves to death with a snow mobile, and isolating your kids from the rest of the planet, I’ll pass on those less-than-noble traditions. Sue: That dude acts like she’s never really seen Alaska or the cold before the first episode aired. Without a film crew there, she might last a week, but that is being optimistic. Thumbs down to this unrealistic train wreck of a ‘reality’ show.

103. melody moore
    montana
    April 29, 9:53 pm

are you for real………she kills two caribou and takes two sets of horns and small amount of meat on four wheeler..then they kill a 1200 pound moose and leaves it more over nite with out cutting it or gutting it and comes back with wife and the moose is steaming like a fresh kill the next day. wow. then this guys hunts mountian goats for miles and expects to haul it all out on his back. this is the weirdest show on ngo….come on
    people get real…

104. stevel
    PA
    May 2, 6:30 am

They need to drop the narrator–these people are more than capable of telling us what they’re doing–after all they did it first two seasons. Also the cutesy camera shots totally detract from the whole theme of the show–minimalist life style. Oh, and drop the over dramatic music!

105. Jarod Boening
    Rockford mi
    May 17, 4:18 pm

If you find a muskrat or a tunneling animal you should take a water jug that has water full to the top and pour the whole jug of water down the hole and the animal will flea right out of the hole and you can just step on the animal or kill it in a way like with a pistol or axe and then you have a fresh killed animal that’s what i do to get the chipmunks out of my yard!!!!!

106. Gloria Minnicks
    Lubbock tx
    May 20, 2:28 pm

I am so fortunate to have that horrible human being Eric in Alaska instead of in my neighborhood were he would satisfie his lust for killing animals by tourturing and killing the neighborhoods family pets. Get rid of him. Everyone changes the chanel when he comes on. So of course your advertisers aren’t seen.

107. John P Radde
    Indiana
    May 26, 9:46 am

Has anyone one seen Bad Ass Sue gut or skin anything she has killed???? Cheering for the grizzlies….

108. Big Boy
    mountains
    June 14, 8:24 am

Hmmmm…. I wonder if Agnes has a sister. She is one cute and tough little woman.

109. Barry E Magee
    Rhode Island
    June 19, 8:27 pm

Not a bad show, entertaining to a point. The only suggestion I would make would be to get rid of Sue and replace her with a more interesting person or even a penquin. Sue is self absorbed, full of herself and a drama queen. In a word “LOSER!”

110. Steve
    Utah
    June 21, 12:27 am

If you think sue is a looser than what could that possible make you? She is the one liviving alone in an environment that would have you crying and pissing your pants the first time you were alone and had a bear encounter. She was almost eaten alive by a bear and serviced. Is is no loser but one tough woman and the things she does would almost make any grown man cry so for you to call her a looser good luck when the shit hits the fan and you can’t take care of your family because you can bet your ass she will be able to protect hers dumb ass

111. Ron
    June 21, 5:13 am

Unknown ODA Sniper, I have never trophy hunted. Even if I did, I certainly wouldn’t go to Alaska to do it. I am happy with a big deer to fill my freezer.

112. steve
    fl
    June 24, 8:50 am

Now I get it. I will never watch this show again. She/he Sue is the shows tribute to lesbiens. too bad you had me hooked for a while until I read all these treehugger progressives attitudes while they eat their cheesburgers on the couch. I don’t like the media and shows like this which promote homosexually. My little ones will grow up in a country that promotes their question …will I try sex with my own sex because society will say “its ok go ahead” and stigmatize their innocent lives for life. You should be ashamed for adding to this major future social tradegy. Never Again!

113. Erika
    Washington
    June 27, 1:01 am

I am so tired of hearing Sue talk about how she is going to die every single episode. I record it on my DVR and fast forward thru all the episodes with Sue because it is the same thing over and over. Maybe I have missed it but is there a single episode that she does not talk about being eaten by a bear?

114. june Mayotte
    June 27, 10:14 am

Enjoy the show but have to fast forward Sue A. She is a ridiculous drama queen.. When they eliminate her we’ll watch all of show

115. Txcoon
    June 28, 11:27 pm

To Unknown ODA Sniper.
    Love your comments and agree with all.
    I hunt to fill my freezer and prefer to know where my meat came from and how it was processed. If you dont like what is on, change the channel. I love the bigger bodied animals because they fill the freezer quicker. Large rack not required, but large body is. Can’t beat free range, no growth hormones or antibiotics. Taste great and healthier for the family. You never take an iffy shot and a quick, clean kill is always what you want. I don’t know if I could live in Alaska but we enjoy the show and is set to record on our TV. I hate reading the hateful comments and don’t understand why people are so judgemental of people they don’t know and lifestyles they don’t understand. Change the channel folks and let the rest of us watch in peace.

116. Molly Torres
    Phoenix Arizona
    July 5, 11:03 am

I want to know how can I get some kind of PO box # or address for Sue and the Hailstones I would like to send them care packages, can ANYONE help me find out??? Thank You,Molly.

117. Charles A. Jackson
    Blue Mountain ,MS
    July 6, 11:08 am

Scopes are more humane less Wounded and wasted animals, they could all be less political correct and more successful , when the camares leave it will be different again, when you are hungry, fair is living , your children are are hungry feeding them is winning, , laws are meaningless that far out

118. Charles A. Jackson
    Blue Mountain, Ms
    July 6, 11:40 am

Sue survived, bear attacked her and she is tough,blessed,lucky, best leave her be, those little cubes rent for 3,000 plus a week,bird watcher mostly, some people are threatened by strong ,independent women.

119. Barbara J. Garcia
    July 19, 5:56 pm

i WANT YOU TO COME BACK WITH MORE OF LIFE BELOW ZERO, AND SHEAR MADNESS, I ALSO ENJOY DR POL I LIVED ON A FARM ALL MY LIFE AND I SAW MY MOM TAKE CARE OF THE ANIMALS MUCH LIKE THE DR.ALSO I REALLY LIKED THE BUSH FAMILY OF ALASKA THESE ARE GREAT FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY PLEASE BRING THEM BACK.THANK YOU BARBARA CALIFORNIA.

120. patti
    FLA
    August 2, 10:44 am

Love the people who complain about the hunting….cruel and inhumane. Ever see whats done to cows and pigs???? Ever seen a “veal calf”.? Normally in Alska – what is hunted is eaten, used for fur, fuel and tools…Meanwhile, in the lower states – we (and the stores) just throw all that shit in the garbage….including “expired” food (yeah, right)
    On another note – in this season there were images of Erik running in the snow on mountain ridges….those scenes could have been filmed thousands of years ago….beautiful!

121. Leon
    Idaho
    September 8, 7:02 pm

Do all the people in Alaska have to use filthy, gutter language? The show is interesting but it takes away from the drama when there is nothing ever said about the photographer. Someone is photographing Sue when she is running out of fuel, or food or whatever. Some of the scenes are being photographed from above, i.e., like from a helicopter. It is weird when the people say they don’t want a job where they have to follow a schedule. What about all the time it takes just to survive?

122. K.o.
    Riverside, ca.
    September 13, 1:36 pm

I love this show and the other Alaskan shows as we’ll. I’m a 50 year old white guy who lives in a track house in the city and would love to live in the wilderness some where, but just can’t afford it right now. These people on this show are very blessed. I especially like Eric cause he knows how to shoot straight . I also enjoy the Hailstones, Sue aikin , and Andy and his wife. If I were in Alaska I would definately have the best scope on my rifle just like Eric does. God Bless all of you for bringing this show into my life. I am very greatful for it. K.O.

123. John Johnson
    September 14, 12:25 am

I’m so tired of Sue complaining about this and that how she is so tough we’ll sue if u are so tough why don’t u put your high powered scope gun down and fight that grizzly one on one bet u lose tough girl in 5 seconds

124. Len Rinzler
    Nevada
    September 14, 11:23 am

I’m not a hunter, but….

To all the anti-trapping folks: Unless you don’t eat meat and never wear leather, stfu. ‘Suffering’ is relative. I’d rather wear fur from a trapped animal that ‘suffered’ for a day than wear a leather coat made from a cow that was raised in the most horrible conditions imaginable. Same with eating hunted food instead of eating chickens that never saw the light of day.

Sue is tougher than I am, and I’m sure I’m tougher than the whiney folks here who have ‘removed LBZ from their DVR’.

The life these folks are living is closer to how mankind has lived through 99% of our existence than what the posters who think they ‘know best’ live.

I’m done…not even worth the energy to debate with ignorant people.

125. steve
    st pete
    October 4, 9:59 am

To Rinzler
    I am sure Sue is tougher than all the little B’s like you while you stand on your high horse and tell the rest of us what we are. I had my butt kicked a couple of times when young which took me off my high horse…think you need the same Mr Pontificator.