Isolated. Dark. Cold. Combating minus 60-degree days. Your only neighbors are bears, wolves and foxes. For many, living in these conditions would be a nightmare, but for some residents of the remote corners of Alaska, it’s a preferred way of life. All-new series Life Below Zero, premiering this Sunday, May 19, at 10 p.m., takes viewers inside the daily challenges of people who have chosen to live in one of America’s harshest climates, Alaska.

From winter preparations through the thaw, Life Below Zero follows six people as they battle for the most basic necessities in the state with the lowest population density in the United States. Living at the ends of the world’s loneliest roads and subsisting off the rugged Alaskan bush, they battle whiteout snow storms, man-eating carnivores, questionable frozen terrain and limited resources through a long and bitter winter. Some of them are lone wolves; others have their families beside them. All must overcome despairing odds to brave the wild and survive through to the spring.

Each episode of Life Below Zero takes viewers deeper into the winter, following brave residents as they struggle in their different corners of this merciless territory to stay one step ahead of storms and predators. Money is practically worthless; food, fuel and fur are the real commodities. Experience has taught them to take a shotgun to the bathroom in case of a surprise bear attack; that the heart is the best bite of a cooked ptarmigan; and that caribou fur make the best “mukluk” boots. It’s a raw look at what life is like without paved roads, grocery stores, central heat or neighbors.

Don’t miss the series premiere of Life Below Zero, Sunday at 10P

Comments

1. Steve Costello
    menus,ak
    May 19, 2013, 10:02 pm

Is it legal to hunt that close to the pipeline?I have always heard that there was no hunting within five miles if the pipeline.

2. Charles Campagna
    Bangor, ME
    May 20, 2013, 2:59 pm

When did the law change for hunting that close to the pipeline? I was under the impression that any hunter had to be at least 5 miles from it anywhere in the Brooks Range area?

3. ali raza
    lahore, Pakistan
    May 22, 2013, 7:13 am

who i can find the urdu documentary projects on the side of national geographic side

4. Pipeline Joe
    Alaska
    May 26, 2013, 4:01 pm

Wonder who would be more interested in this tape. Homeland Security, Alyeska Security or ADFG?

5. Nancy anderson
    Rockport texas
    May 29, 2013, 7:14 pm

I would like to see their everyday lifesuch as where do they buy food or clothes from.? How do they bathe and wash clothes etc. etc..

6. Jerry F. Lee
    Cleveland GA.
    June 13, 2013, 11:37 pm

I have hunted all my life and the first thing my father a Champion Bird Dog Breeder taught me was when a hunter takes a creatures life he owes it a sacred duty to do quickly and humanely. I cringed when looking at the husband and wife, the wife taking impossibly long shots with an antiquated Russian rifle with iron sights and inevitably and with almost absolute certainty WOUNDING THE CARIBOU BECAUSE THEY DID NOT KNOW HOW TO PROPERLY CONDUCT A STALK, THEREBY CLOSING THE DISTANCE AND SHE COULD NOT HIT THE BROAD SIDE OF A BARN! All of this despite her husbands constant bragging about her “hunting experience” I believe he let her do the shooting because he couldn’t!!! This jerk is a FRAUD through and through as a hunter, and NATGEO should be ashamed of filming this idiot wrestling this poor animal and cutting its’ throat, when any humane hunter knows the only humane way to dispatch a wounded animal is a quick shot to the brain. A good example was the young man who had to put down the cat caught in the trap, with a well placed shot. It is no wonder that hunters are held in such low esteem, when these idiots are held out as “experienced subsistence hunters”. The truth of the matter is if it were not for the great abundance of game in the beautiful expanse of ALASKA THESE IDIOTS WOULD STARVE,AND WHO COULD FEEL FOR THEM GIVEN THEIR UNFEELING SELFISH NATURE. It is clear NATGEO should have a new series next season, ” Killers of ALASKA” with these people as the stars and the wolves as the enlightened participants! GOOD GRIEF!

7. NBP
    Houston, TX
    June 15, 2013, 9:58 pm

Why are these people eating FROZEN fish with whale blubber? Clearly they had a stove to HEAT the food, but instead they ate it frozen with the blubber to allow their bodies to absorb. It doesn’t seem logical. If you heat the fish then your body will absorb it; therefore, no need for whale blubber. Would like a response to my comment to understand their logic.

8. steve howaniec
    fla.
    June 26, 2013, 11:32 am

i don’t see any info about how to email the people on life below zero,doesn’t any have an address?

9. Suzalah
    Olympia, WA
    June 28, 2013, 5:37 pm

Please reconsider this Andy Bassich fellow. I know it takes a hard, special person to live in such a place and manner, but this man is mean-spirited, nasty and thinks everyone should be subjected to his his terrible language. Is it really necessary for him to be highlighted?

10. Chris Church
    Anchorage
    June 29, 2013, 1:31 am

You obviously are just a watcher and wanna be Jerry F.Lee, you weren’t there with any of these people on the show, and as a former PA on a variety of hunting shows, I can tell you hunting with a camera man, a producer and a director along is never easy for anyone. It stakes an average of 4-6 days to produce 10 minutes of highly edited film for any show.

Frozen fish is how Eskimos eat their fish. Just because they own stoves dosent mean they have to change their cultural tastes or have to be like you or me. Dipping it in seal oil or whale oil makes it quite nourishing, and if you had to be outside, at -40 where every thing is frozen, then dipping it in oil calorically makes it worth eating, and you do not die from chilling. I think they made that clear.
    I look that man up and found this; I don’t think he a fraud, I think his eyes are going bad.

11. charity ann faulkner
    wisconsin
    July 9, 2013, 7:44 pm

You always see his wife with the gun never him, maybe legally he can’t hunt. Its still part of usa felons can’t hunt! Makes you wonder!!!!

12. David Beaulieu
    Eagle River Alaska
    July 11, 2013, 8:27 pm

Enjoy the show but Sue is such a fraud. She’s a nut case and has no clue what she’s talking about. Those animals are not stalking her. No wonder she likes living out there as a “caretaker” with no one else around. No one to challenger her BS.

13. T-Bone
    North Carolina
    July 18, 2013, 1:28 pm

Question: Why is Nat-Geo highlighting “solitary Sue” so much? (agree with above commentary) she seems to get the most air time. Would like to see more of Erik, he seems to know what he is doing!

14. Tommy
    Texas
    July 18, 2013, 8:10 pm

I love the show living below zero but Sue’s consistently using the lords name in vain is getting to be too much for me I will be not watching the show if they don’t at least bleep it out when she chooses to use it.

15. Lisa
    Granite City Illinois
    July 22, 2013, 12:58 am

I think Kate should leave her mean mouthy husband. He yells n curses at her all the x. I give these people credit because I could never live in cold r with wild animals.

16. Sheila
    Pa
    July 22, 2013, 7:43 am

I really enjoyed watching this the first few episodes. Very interesting, even though It wouldn’t be anything I would consider doing. But the more I watch, the more I dislike like it. Everyone of them have said they live here for peace and a non-hectic way of life. According to most of them, our way of life makes us miserable and unhappy. All I’ve seen is miserable and unhappy. Hard work is one thing, but there is nothing about them that shows peace or happiness. The more I watch, it seems like they are all “hiding” from civilization for different reasons. I know the program is just to show a different way of life, but honestly, I am even more positive I don’t want to live that way. I wish them the peace and happiness they are looking for.

17. Lisa
    OH
    July 23, 2013, 5:38 pm

I honestly could never dream of living there and not having a town any where around. Also I cant believe the range at which these people shot at it is amazing, and the threat of your home and dogs being swept away by the river just blows my mind the stuff they go through in just a couple of months time!

18. ackey
    vt
    July 25, 2013, 10:32 pm

Jerry lee your a fuckin tree huggin idiot who knows nothing

19. sue
    houston,tx
    August 7, 2013, 12:47 pm

I love the show, when will the show return for the season?

20. Le Ann
    August 10, 2013, 3:42 am

I think Wiseman hit it on the nose when he said time was irrelevant where he lived. To live a successful life in such beauty, and on your own watch is a blessing.

21. bluediamond
    hagerstown, md
    August 12, 2013, 10:19 am

I think JL is an idiot!! what hunter has never had to cut the throat of an animal he is planning to consume. I think Hailstone’s wife is just a typical Alaskan native. I think she is cool. They have to survive with the means they have. Would it better to take 20 pointed sticks and stab it to death as they used to?

22. hillbilly
    hills of pa.
    August 12, 2013, 10:44 am

I think it is a great change from most of the other crap that is on tv .I like the program. if you do not like it turn it off. I can not understand why you few haters have such a big say as to what is shown on tv. It sure is a better program than Axe Men !!!

23. Vickie
    New Richmond Ohio
    August 23, 2013, 3:24 pm

I think the show is a very interesting show that shows how other people can live in such ruff country and to be able to survive on the land that god has giving us instead of man made products from a store. It shows people how for centuries we have lived by such little needs and we need to appreciate the fact that there are people out there that still have the means to take care of their own familys instead of government help. Thank You NG.

24. Larry
    Imperial Missouir
    August 25, 2013, 11:05 am

I have trouble reading all the negative comments from negative people that have obviously never hunted, fished or spent any time in the woods outside of a park. This show, I believe, is making an honest effort to show life as it is in remote wilderness Alaska. I believe most of these comments are made from people who have never eaten wild fish or game and spend most of their time watching the Kardashians, Honey Bo Bo, Storage Wars or some other ridiculous lamestream program. Go find a real life!

25. Norma
    NY State
    August 25, 2013, 5:48 pm

Love this show. For those of you that don’t, nothing is stopping you from turning the channel. So many people out there that have to criticize and berate the people and their lifestyle. Again, just turn the station….I’m sure you probably think Duck Dynasty is a good show. Now there is something you can complain about. I’m so sick of shows that are based on stupidity.

26. Rachel
    Ohio
    September 2, 2013, 7:38 pm

I absolutely love this show. I wish I had the skills to be able to join them up in such a gorgeous setting. I for one would love it!! Granted we are only seeing snippets of what they go through, but I think it would be awesome.

27. Tina
    washington state
    September 5, 2013, 7:48 pm

We ARE hunters, trappers, and experienced in the woods, and greatly enjoy the show….EXCEPT for Sue. Her arrogance is irritating at best, but the ridiculous things she says have gone beyond just entertaining. The last episode we saw, hunting moose? Did anyone else pick up on the fact that the first tracks she identified as moose were old snowshoe hare tracks? The others, especially Wiseman, are worth watching, but if the show continues to highlight her I doubt we’ll keep watching. Good idea for a show, wrong person on it.

28. John
    Kentucky
    September 28, 2013, 9:12 pm

I love the show so much but I can’t help but feel that these people now have income from the show and no longer live off the land. I don’t understand how Sue got 500 gallons of fuel stolen. Her nearest neighbor is 130 miles away. Its is only accessible by plane and those small planes can’t carry that much fuel except for the larger ones that deliver fuel. So how did that fuel vanish? I feel this may be DRAMA created by the producers. Also, Eric was shown driving what looked like a new Toyota Tundra. Don’t those cost over 40K, have poor fuel economy and expensive to insure? Don’t get me wrong, I love the show but like all reality shows they have to create drama to keep the viewer tuned in. I don’t get how they survive. They travel great distances with snowmobiles. How does one survive a breakdown 30 miles from home, alone in the wilderness where temperatures drop to 40 below? They don’t carry water and other survival shows clearly indicate that snow can not rehydrate you adequately unless you melt it.

29. Buck Owen
    October 21, 2013, 1:21 am

Up this way, where I and the Hailstones live, we tell people where we are going before we leave, theres a Search and rescue organization that we are all a part of and its easy to carry a canteen or thermos to keep hydrated. You drink 1/2 the canteen, repack with crushed ice and put it back inside you jacket where you keep your hand held VHF radio and flashligts warm for use. Use the VHF and call for help. First you have to know what your doing up this way, all the travel the Hailstones do is “off road” as in we have NO roads, just some marked trails that go village to village. the hailstones double up for safety, and like all of us, travel with enough to survive a night in terrible conditions. They also know how to help themselfs, and since they are like 20 years older than me, they have been sucessefull at staying alive and raiseing their kids, theoir oldest daughter is my agae, and she travels alone all year round too. They teach and the kids learn or die, thats the life. The Hailstones also turn all their $$/arts/sewing/trade into gas to get more heat, food, and raw materials, the true way of subsistence. They travel great distances and camp out, thats how they save gas $$ and are sucessfull. In our culture, the sucessfull hunter is the only kind of hunter to be. Alot of people do the same, my father and all his did, and when I get days off work, I hunt and fish too, and if Kotzebue had trees like Noorvik, I would heat with wood too.

30. Dominick Barber
    Costa Mesa , CA
    November 10, 2013, 3:11 am

Sue What’s up With the Clint Eastwood 1 Liners!! I know ur on TV and its gd to Love ur self! Ur new AKA Mrs Eastwood! (:-) ! Stay away from Grizzly The Bear! He Doesn’t know how to B a Friendly BF!

31. Linda Phillip
    November 18, 2013, 10:11 am

I absolutely love this show and the people in in! The people on this show have a lot of respect for nature and only kill to survive. They are above everything being about material posessions and money and for me that sounds very appealing!

32. Was that a Stihl chainsaw
    St. Louis MO
    November 19, 2013, 5:23 pm

On episode “there be monsters” he started a Stihl chainsaw but that’s not what he used to cut the tree. Nice plug, at least use it next time

33. B. Parker
    November 27, 2013, 11:15 pm

I enjoy the show, it is one of my favorite. I do have to record it though as I can’t stand listening to Sue brag about herself so much! She acts as if she is the ultimate survivor, asking herself questions so she can give a answer about what a bad A she is. What has she done? All I see is she takes care of a camp, and she goes out on a lot of failed hunts so she has supplies flowen in? Who wants to watch a boring blow hard? Not me. Andy is a jerk but if Kate is happy with him then that is her choice. Please stop showing Sue and show someone actually doing something interesting who does not have to drive me nuts with the constant bravado. I liked that young kid who did all the hunting and trapping, what happened to him?

34. marilee Johansen
    kenai alaska
    January 2, 9:12 pm

when is this show aired now? we haven’t been finding it lately is it on in 2014? and what channel?

35. Larry Benlisa
    Trinidad,WI.
    April 9, 11:26 am

Love the show but please replace Sue. Can’t hunt, and talks about herself too, too much. Looking forward to seeing Erik again.

36. C B
    Fairbanks
    April 13, 12:32 pm

I live in AK and like most of the show. I look forward to Erik returning. I just wish that the non residents knew the Full truth about Alaska?! It is a beautiful climate and mountains are majestic. It’s the people that are hard and bitter as a whole. Being far out in bush would most assuredly be the way to go. The larger cities are rough and AK has been way Over Glorified on these shows. Many good people here! Yet beware of sincerity if you plan to relocate here? Research cost of living VS pay first . Being Southern originally, people join together to help in hard times or tragedy..! Do not expect that in AK if considering a move. Just an FYI comment to outsiders as called by Alaskans if you think Ak is truly what you see on TV. It probably could be?? If you are away from towns and bush living without amenities .! The foul language you see on shows however is the Norm here unfortunately!!

37. L J Bishop
    Missouri
    May 8, 9:16 pm

How can Sue afford to buy the 4,000 gallons of fuel? Is she paid for b

38. L J Bishop
    May 8, 9:17 pm

Is Sue paid for being a caretaker?????

39. Susan Williams C.
    Arkansas
    July 3, 9:09 pm

Sue bought the camp this year. But I’d like to know WHEN this camp is functioning? How much and for how long?
    My husband went to AK. one time. He really wanted us to move up there! Our first grandchild was born the night he returned home. No way! It’s so beautiful, but I am not the right material for that type of living! What? Me in my heels? No, wouldn’t work. I admire those who can do it, but hubby can hunt here in Arkansas!

40. bucksiebaby
    Washington State
    July 3, 9:09 pm

Sue runs the camp for groups that rent cabins for hunting trips during summer – also I bet she sells fuel for those flights heading either north/south that may have misjudged fuel supplies, etc.

I am an older [40s] college student [mom, young grandma, and wife] and would give up ANYTHING for an opportunity to stay with Kate and Andy – I LOVE the SNOW – I LOVE to cut/chop wood – I LOVE to FISH – I LOVE the STORMS and shorter days ——- then I would have an experience of a lifetime to write about the next time I have to write a personal experience essay [free-write] [love that too]…….Yes Andy yells sometimes, but there have been times when his wife Kate could have been hurt, so sending a clear msg. is perhaps his way of being protective. God Forbid a serious accident happened, especially if he didn’t get right to the point – He would ponder why he wasn’t tougher, or wished that he was. Besides, some people are just louder than others, and if he didn’t love his wife he wouldn’t be so hard on her since he knows the Alaskan wilderness all too well. I believe it is protective, as I am certain you don’t survive on pleases and 3 strikes your out rules. Nevertheless, I feel bad also when he yells at her even though it is probably for the best [in SOME cases, not ALL].

I love everyone on the show – I think SUE is funnier than $%#^ sometimes!! ….Kate would be very calming to hang out with!!!

The Hailstones are a very disciplined BUT extremely LOVING family – I love watching them as well! I have always considered myself a great mom [my 3 are young adults], but she greatly humbles me; their gentle nature is nothing less than a POSITIVE and PROTECTIVE umbrella for such a nice family!

And the young man, [Erik?? who guides during the summer] – he has a modest yet awkward appeal about him – wish I was decade younger at least – than I would book a hunting trip every year with him…….

Each character has a small part of the larger picture NG channel is portraying and EACH one deserves respect, especially SUE – she has to be lonely, though she doesn’t let anyone know that – she’s TOUGH……so it is the variance of life, spanning hundreds of miles, that they all play a role, and each location is critical to grasp how majestic Alaska really is!…..

41. Dean Parsons
    Dallas, Texas
    August 2, 8:31 am

Pay no mind to the hunting so call experts Caribou. They know nothing about your conditions in the frozen North.
    They should try doing a stalk in 30 to 40 below zero weather. And they know nothing about the MN rifles that are the best in the extreme cold that you face. Accurate, reliable & cheap to use. Chips wife is a native tribal member Alaska & Federal game laws do not apply to natives hunting for food. I know them both & had business dealing with both.
    They are tops in my book.
    Dean Parsons

42. Mac McIntosh
    British Columbia, Canada
    August 4, 7:37 pm

Amazing show, with a diverse set of characters. Each one adds something special to the program. Just like in real life, there are personalities that irritate us…..just tune them out…some of the rest of us might really like their spunk. Before you slam anyone or any particular part of this show, ask yourself what’s making you so reactive. This is a T.V. show…. meant to entertain you. If you are not entertained, don’t get mad and don’t cut up the characters…. you are probably just as annoying to others in your own circle. … just watch something else or fast forward over the parts you don’t like. This show is a resounding success… most particularly because it focuses on people and a lifestyle that is foreign to most of us. Your bashing just shows what is missing in your own personality…. a tolerance for something/someone different than yourself.

43. Modest Prude
    September 26, 11:08 pm

PLEASE take Sue off the show. Do you honestly we believe all the crap she goes through? On one two day trip, she changed her crocheted cap like three times, when she was out in the middle of nowhere. You telling me that she packed all those hats just for a wardrobe change for the camera? And she just loves acting so tough, but then she is always whining too; it comes across as an irritating put-on, I do not believe her storylines at all. The world does not revolve around Sue, the other people on the show are much more interesting and spend a lot less time trying to showcase themselves versus trying to simply explain why or how something is done. When Sue is on screen, I don’t watch, I check my email or read the news, waiting for her “scene” to finish.

44. sean
    ohh
    December 16, 4:19 am

I don’t understand why the characters in this show are complaining. Its sickening. If they are having trouble living, then move somewhere else. Im starting to think this show is exploiting lunatics.