When Shaun Attwood leaves England for Phoenix, Arizona to chase his American dream of being a millionaire stockbroker, his parents are overwhelmed with pride at their son’s ambition. But, they have no idea where it’s going to lead him. Starting at the bottom in his new job means Shaun’s forced to work harder than anyone else in the office. Eventually he begins to burn out, and needs to switch off from the stresses at work. When a colleague takes him to a nightclub downtown for a drink, Shaun’s life is forever changed.

Shaun’s world soon revolves around the escapism of Phoenix nightlife, and he meets a local drug dealer who says he can supply Ecstasy pills on a regular basis. He starts throwing weekly parties for his friends, where he gives pills away for free, keen to introduce them all to a drug most of them have never tried before. Every night his loved up guests heap praise on him for his generosity and refined taste in narcotics. He’s the center of attention on every occasion, and starts to feel “like a rock star.”

The glamor of being the biggest sugar daddy on the Phoenix party circuit soon goes to Shaun’s head, and he develops a disturbing idea. What if he started selling ecstasy as a profession? His parties have proved the demand is there for sure. Seduced by the idea, Shaun makes the biggest decision of his life. He quits his stressful job as a stockbroker and turns ecstasy dealing into a full time occupation. He starts buying thousands of pills, throwing his own raves and recruiting friends to help him deal ecstasy on a massive scale. It’s not long before the money rolls in, and Shaun is living in a million-dollar mountainside-mansion, with his own harem of glitter girls. He’s made the fortune he always dreamed of, but his new shady profession remains top secret from his parents when they come out to visit him. In their eyes, their son has achieved his dream of being a successful stockbroker. They couldn’t be more proud. But Shaun lives in the perpetual fear of the truth coming out and ruining their lives.

That day came sooner than expected when Shaun refuses a business proposition from a local Mafia boss. He soon learns that there’s a contract out on his head, and when he’s chased at high speed through the streets of Phoenix by a mysterious car, it’s clear the threat is very real. All the glitz and glamor of the party scene has gone, as Shaun spends his days cowering in his mansion clutching a shotgun for protection. He knows it’s now in his best interests to get out of the drugs business while he’s still alive. So he quits dealing ecstasy, and returns to his old modest life. But just when he thinks he’s closed the lid on the dangers of drug dealing, one morning, a SWAT team bursts through his front door, and pins him to the floor. Game over. He’s finally been busted.

Tune in to Locked Up Abroad: Raving Arizona tonight at 9P.

Comments

1. Stac
    Arizona
    April 25, 2013, 3:55 am

Are you freaking serious with this episode of locked up in Arizona??? This is my favorite show… And you follow up with this episode after the John McCain episode? In a country where you have rights? What an upset, there’s thousands of drug dealers in the AZ prison. And this compares to the other horrible ordeals that you’ve shown on all the previous episodes? What a disappointment. You should’ve just picked any drug dealer in the United States and put it on one of the other reality shows. You gotta be kidding me with this example compared to the injustices you’ve portrayed to the people who actually deserved a show on your channel.

2. FA
    April 25, 2013, 10:10 am

Now…first of all, you D#$%^&shi%s understand, that Arizona, is not “abroad”. And then, besides that, this Mtoh#$%fu*CKe$ is not a victim of a governement gone wrong!!!! What is wrong with you?

3. Roger C.
    April 25, 2013, 2:49 pm

You have to remember, this show started in the UK, and I believe NatGeo gets new episodes from the English version. So, this technically would be Locked Up Abroad. It did give a good insight of American prisons and what is wrong with them. He was not wrong at all. The issues he ran into on the show have all been documented several times in the news and by inmates.

I would take more issue with the guy’s credibility. I did not believe his story.

4. paul
    arizona
    April 26, 2013, 3:08 pm

This is all a true story I remeber shawn and all the people involved I was into the rave seen when it happened crazy story

5. Tonya
    US
    May 1, 2013, 5:09 pm

So many levels of wrong! Did I hear his father say that his son survived one of the toughest places on earth?? Insert eye roll here.

6. Karla
    US
    May 2, 2013, 11:59 am

Everyone knows that since he is not from the US then since he was locked up over here then that would be locked up abroad if he was locked up over here, right? I don’t get why that’s hard, but it’s funny that you would be calling someone else stupid. I thought this was a good episode and if you don’t start to realize that we have some really bad stuff over here that can easily rival third world countries then you are just fooling yourself. I mean, yeah, I would say this is one of the toughest places on earth if you saw someone get killed right in front of you and there were no gaurds to be found.
    I loved the John McCain one before this and if I had seen this episode while he was running I think I would have been one of his biggest supporters, (even though I may be partial since I was in the Navy, too), but I am a realist as well and I think that you are just fooling yourself if you don’t get that things are a lot different now then they were back during the Vietnam War. Our prisons here in the US are no joke and some are, without a doubt worse then others. Unless you went there and can say otherwise then I really don’t understand a great deal of these comments that basically are saying, ‘Quit your complaining, it’s no big deal.’ It would have sucked and I have seen other episodes and prisons in other countries that I would have much rather been in.

7. Hei
    US
    May 2, 2013, 12:31 pm

Seriously, this episode bothered me. Are we supposed to feel sorry for this guy?? His crimes were not a one or two time deal. Wonder how many people he gave Ecstasy to are now either addicted or dead. I’m guessing those peoples’ parents are still in “one of the toughest places on earth”, having lost a son or daughter. I am sure the Arizona jail was no Disneyland, but too f-ing bad. Such disrespect to the prison guards who go to work daily and have to put up with people like him. And I highly doubt the sandwiches were as bad as those portrayed. A kid in high school can get the occasional spoiled milk or moldy sandwich. It doesn’t make it the toughest place on earth. What a waste of a TV hour that I will never get back…..

8. C_Dub
    USA
    May 10, 2013, 12:06 am

I feel Sad for the producers!!! Are ya’ll really do desperate! I found this particular show absolutely PATHETIC!!! I honestly will not tune back to Nat GEO for MONTH because of this half assed, BIASED program! I honestly hope every single person involved in this show rots in hell. You feeble attempt at giving a fair and fully informative show is CRAP. WOW WOW WOW!!! I think I will watch other channels for NON STUPID BS INFO!!! SAD SAD SAD!!!

9. Mexmes
    Earth.
    May 19, 2013, 1:31 am

Bad people sell drugs, good people.. consums them! You are just responsible for your acts, and everything comes with feed back. So…..

10. [...] TV documentary about situation in Maricopa County Jail that where Joe Arpaio takes control of it. Arizona Ecstasy Kingpin Gets Busted Tonight on Locked Up Abroad – Nat Geo TV Blogs Locked Up Abroad: Raving Arizona | National Geographic Channel Shaun Attwood (he's British) broke [...]

11. Allan
    The Americas
    June 6, 2013, 8:25 pm

This show is about people being locked up in other countries, and their experiences, from their point of view. Of course it’s going to be biased you retards.