As the longest Civilian POW in Vietnam history, Ernie Brace likely endured more than any other POW during the war. Held for almost eight years — from May 1965 to March 1973 — he faced capture, starvation, sickness, torture, solitude, desperation and more. Call him resilient and impressive. A survivor and true American hero. So says Sen. John McCain, who became lifelong friends with him during his own five-year internment in Vietnam.

Watch: Senator John McCain shares his dramatic story of being captured by the North Vietnamese:

Brace’s harrowing firsthand account of captivity kicks off the ninth season of National Geographic Channel’s critically acclaimed international hit series Locked Up Abroad tonight at 9P. Details of Brace’s time as a POW include being marched more than 100 miles through harsh jungles, chained in a bamboo cage 24/7, attempting several futile escapes with subsequent beatings and being buried alive up to his neck.

Watch: Ernie Brace was a Vietnam POW for over seven years… this is how it all began:

Comments

1. ROBIN
    April 18, 2013, 3:21 pm

HOW DO I GET A COPY OF THIS AMAZING STORY…GOD BLESS YOU ALL AND THANK YOU!

2. phuong
    VietNam
    June 21, 2013, 5:34 am

this is a lie

3. lisa
    Philippines
    July 2, 2013, 12:54 pm

I can’t imagine all those ordeals they’ve gone through, This happened many years ago but still I can’t hold back my tears from falling while watching the show. I hope this is not happening anymore to any other part of the world.

4. Robinson
    Vietnam
    July 3, 2013, 11:57 am

Sorry Americans production but you are lie.Hey McCain, you are lived today because my Govertment was generous and humanistic.They could kill you when your plane were shooted down.

5. ohmygod
    paradise of communism
    July 18, 2013, 11:26 pm

yeah, communist govt is very generous, humanistic to foreigners but so cruel, devil, evil to its own people, isn’t it?

6. Sarah
    Scotland
    July 23, 2013, 7:52 pm

Ok I’m sorry if I offend anyone with this comment but Robinson and phuong how dare you! These are people who for one of them spent 8 years of his life in a cage being beaten by soldiers and I’m very sure that Vietnamese prisoners were treated the same but fgs deal with the fact that these people are AMERICAN talking on an AMERICAN tv show about their perspective of being an AMERICAN prisoner of war and if you actually want to say that Vietnamese soldiers were kind and caring and loving towards their prisoners then grow up and read up on some of the torture techniques used at that time because it wasn’t just beating people up, in the jungle camps one of the ways to get a prisoner to talk was to strip them and strap their body down over a bamboo shoot and let it grow through them until they spilled so do some research before spouting some disrespectful crap.

7. Sarah
    Scotland
    July 23, 2013, 7:54 pm

And tbh if those types of things were happening to me I would rather have been shot the second my plane went down

8. David
    July 29, 2013, 7:59 pm

Hey Robinson, it’s obvious you are a phony!!