Rattlesnake venom destroys tissues and causes crippling paralysis, sometimes leading to death. When Santa Cruz homeowner Thomas Scott encountered such a deadly predator in his garage, he took defensive matters into his own hands. However, unlike mammals, reptile reflexes remain deadly after death. In fact, they can still bite and deliver a killing dose of venom up to an hour after being decapitated. And after Thomas delivered what he thought was a deadly blow, the snake’s head–severed from its body–continued to scan the area, waiting for an opportunity to strike:

Zac-n-WheezieThink that’s weird? Well you haven’t seen anything yet! Tonight, on World’s Weirdest: Oddities, we’ll meet a variety of animals battling baffling deformities–including Zac-n-Wheezie, a two-headed lizard. We’ll also take a look inside a lab that is growing human body parts from rats and we’ll even meet a man who’s trying to turn himself into a reptile–split tongue, scales and all.

From featherless birds, fish with transparent heads, and record-breaking super-sized horned cows, these jaw-dropping spectacles put on an unforgettable show. Awe-inspiring anomalies give you a glimpse of the most remarkable stories in the animal kingdom on World’s Weirdest: Oddities.

Tune in to World’s Weirdest: Oddities tonight at 9P on Nat Geo WILD and be sure to browse this bizarre photo gallery featuring some of the unbelievable creatures from tonight’s episode.

Comments

1. yeti
    April 16, 2013, 9:47 pm

Incredibly cruel.

NG used to be better.

2. Patrick Fisackerly
    April 16, 2013, 10:36 pm

Come on, National Geographic. It’s venomous, not poisonous.

3. em
    April 17, 2013, 5:44 am

While a biological interest, this wasn’t a case of a human defending himself, it was a case of someone killing an animal for no good reason. By ‘no choice’ you mean ‘Had plenty of alternate opportunities to deal with an animal rather then killing it’. It would have been better if he left it alone and kept an eye on it while animal control came.

4. casey campbell
    April 17, 2013, 9:39 am

i can tell that you bleeding hearts have never lived around rattle snakes before! LOL. I’m from west Texas, and when you have a rattle snake by your house, you KILL it. If not, your kids will get bit and possibly die, or it’ll kill your pets… a snake is not cute and cuddly. it’s deadly.

5. Rob
    April 17, 2013, 10:15 am

You need controls on the full screen video player. Couldn’t change volume or rew/ffd video while in full screen. Bit pedestrian.

6. Darryll King
    San Jose, CA
    April 17, 2013, 10:28 am

This is old news. Yes, you should kill a rattle snake or any lethal snake if you find it on your property, especially if you have kids or if kids play in the area. It was also advised that you should dispose of the head by burying it in the ground so others would not be injured by it.

7. em
    April 17, 2013, 11:09 am

I wouldn’t call it bleeding hearts. By pestering the snake this man actually put his family in more danger. I’m surprised that national geographic would post this and treat it like a heroic thing on top of that. Videos like this encourage that sort of behaviour towards animals and make it seem ‘ok’. Rattle snakes are deadly, but they don’t deserve to die because of it. Call animal control, keep an eye on it or if possible keep it contained. don’t poke it and at the same time film it. That’s asking for trouble.

8. Fiona
    April 17, 2013, 11:16 am

I cannot believe how irresponsible and ridiculous this piece was, generated by an organization that I would expect to provide responsible journalism and conservation ethics. ‘A deadly predator’ for whom animal control would be too slow and that posed so serious risk to someone’s family that it needed to be decapitated? Snakes extremely rarely attack without provocation and this animal could have been easily and safely relocated.

I am appalled that National Geographic would spread sensational fear mongering and actively encourage misunderstanding and violence towards a wild animal which realistically poses a very minor threat to humans, instead of appreciation, caution and sensible management.

This does NOT the principles that NG was founded on and I will be rescinding my financial donations to this organisation and canceling my subscription.

9. Bodyless Snake ← The Amazing Internet
    April 17, 2013, 12:37 pm

[...] Apparently decapitated snake heads can stay alive and inject venom in prey for up to an hour after losing their bodies!  Full article and video here. [...]

10. C
    April 17, 2013, 12:47 pm

I think these comments are more entertaining than the video. While I agree this is below the standards of National Geographic, meaning it’s a bit TMZ styled. I think “… I will be rescinding my financial donations to this organisation and canceling my subscription.” is just as ridiculous.

11. Ed29
    April 17, 2013, 1:59 pm

I am so disgusted that people kill mosquitos too! I mean, they’re JUST trying to eat! Poor defenseless things. And it’s not THEIR fault they can kill humans with diseases and illnesses! Everyone in the world is heartless except for me, unless you agree with me!

12. Chongo
    The high country, United States
    April 17, 2013, 3:03 pm

I propose that if it is possible to capture a venomous snake live, that we relocate them to the sympathetic people’s property. I’ve no time for the nasty buggers.

13. Common Sense
    El Paso, TX
    April 17, 2013, 6:37 pm

National Geographic has stooped to an all time low. Absolutely appalling and embarrassing. Why on earth is this sensationalist crap considered worthy of NG? Truly embarrassing for a once-great organization. I’m from Texas, and I know how to respect wildlife. There is no need for this. Cancelling my subscription as we speak…

14. Common Sense
    El Paso, TX
    April 17, 2013, 6:38 pm

I too am cancelling my subscription. I agree with Fiona, this is completely against what I though NG supported. Not to mention NG gives out funding for many wildlife related programs, several probably involving snake species. In this day and age, wildlife can NOT support these kind of killings, that are unregulated and despicable.

15. Dan
    April 17, 2013, 8:00 pm

I can’t believe National Geographic makes this kind of bullsh*t sensationalist TV that goes against their missions as an organization. Even worse to post it on the internet where more people will see it. Truly sad and surprising.

16. Save the snakes
    Canada
    April 17, 2013, 9:50 pm

This guy was more interested in filming his snake murder than in any legitimate protection of his family. Nat Geo should be ashamed for sensationalizing and promoting this behaviour.

17. [...] Via National Geographic. [...]

18. K
    U.S. of A.
    April 18, 2013, 1:24 pm

seeing how this post has 16 comments (3 of which are people ‘threatening’ to revoke their subscriptions) and 1.7K likes…I’m pretty sure you ‘NG has reached an all time low’ complainers can take your subscription and not even dent their base of support.
    This video is actually helpful and informative. If you kill a snake, you should know that the game isn’t over yet. They aren’t advocating mass-snake-murder here…just showing how awesome nature is that there is still a deadly final blow that a decapitated snake can still deliver. National Geographic has always been about showing how amazing and awesome nature is…and this is right up that alley.

19. Weird Mike
    April 18, 2013, 10:05 pm

I love how they said “his” garage. What about the whole snakes “land” before that garage was ever there?

20. J
    April 19, 2013, 2:24 pm

Wow there is a bunch of armchair bleeding hearts in here. Have any of you had to deal with a rattlesnake before? probably not. You’re probably sipping a latte and complaining that the barista used low fat milk instead of soy.

Let me break it down for you: Nature is scary. There are reasons why we evolved socially as we have, clearing brush from land building houses the way we do and removing any threat to our existence we find. Weird Mike- What about the land that your comfy little house is on? Why don’t you just practice what you preach and go live off the land, sleeping under bushes you hypocritical moonbat.

21. Hue
    Redwood City
    April 20, 2013, 3:57 pm

Its easy to jump on this guy – we don’t know the situation of his wife or kids or both all freaking out shouting, “kill it” or “do something” … Or maybe the guy is just an A$$… either way its easy to sit on our computers and bash the guy… but in retrospect I imagine he would have simply pushed it out of his yard and avoided being perceived as a dumb guy with a shovel.

22. ciceropavei
    sao paulo brasil
    April 20, 2013, 4:40 pm

Cobra é a criação mais nogenta que existe, é comparada a pessoas do mal que gostam de fazer o mal para o seu semelhante, essa cobra é igual a minha vizinha pelo nome de Adriana que é um verdadeiro projeto do satanás.

23. s
    April 20, 2013, 4:44 pm

j, nature is scary, a rattlesnake even more so.
    where i am from though, rattle snakes are endangered species and protected. if you kill them like this, you get a nice fine. just because they are dangerous, it does not mean that you have to decapitate them… as others said, if you find one in the wild – go away. if you find one in your property – call animal control to relocate it.

24. [...] [shixinxin via Nat Geo TV Blogs] [...]

25. Shay Leon
    Ireland
    April 21, 2013, 6:50 am

I wonder how the decapitated head of the twat who made this video will behave. Another proof of how stupid human heads are. well freaking done NG

26. MM
    April 21, 2013, 8:21 am

Protecting his family? Really? No time to get animal control? Really?

Do we even know if shovel man Thomas tried to pick up the phone and call animal control?

It seems Thomas’ family members were not in any immediate danger at all, but rather rather one at least was helping him film his shovel job.

I’ve read that because people are so prone to kill rattlesnakes whenever they hear the warning buzz, the gene pool of rattle snakes is now being selected in favor of the snakes that strike first without warning.

To survive, any animal, including a hairless ape like myself, does have to kill, whether it is other animals or plants. Seeing a snake killed like does make my angry, but I understand not everyone agrees. We draw the line at different places. I happen to have more respect for reptiles than many other people

In contrast to say mosquitoes, the snake not out to bite and feed on on shovel man Thomas and his family. Rattlesnakes do not eat people and rather feed on pests like rats which pose arguably more of a threat to human health and safety.

The narrative from NG that this was being done solely for family protection and there was no human alternative to preserve human safety is not convincing for me.

27. william haddad
    April 21, 2013, 8:35 am

the mother of my wife is so lost it in an accident and still wanted to bite me ..

28. [...] National Geographic has a video of Thomas Scott cornering the snake and then chopping off its head. But it’s what happens afterward that’s strange. The snake’s head, zombie-like, keeps on moving and keeps baring its deadly fangs. According to the segment, a rattlesnake’s head can still deliver a venomous bite up to an hour after it’s been decapitated. Because we didn’t need more reasons to fear snakes. [...]

29. Weekend Link Love | Interwebtalk.com
    April 21, 2013, 11:52 am

30. Jordan Longfellow
    MD
    April 21, 2013, 12:00 pm

So much naivete in these comments.

You see a poisonous snake, you kill it. Period.

31. Edson Geraldo Poiati Filho
    Brazil
    April 21, 2013, 1:49 pm

Terrible! I think humans are the worst animals of nature…

32. keith
    yahoo
    April 21, 2013, 3:54 pm

that scared me when I saw this on youtube I thought it was fake

33. claude
    Winter Park,Colorado
    April 21, 2013, 5:01 pm

Great video. When in doubt alway kill a dangerous critter. Please extend my subscription.

34. Tatiana
    April 21, 2013, 9:01 pm

What a shame of posting that National Geographic! So cruel!!

35. Beth
    Los Angeles, CA
    April 22, 2013, 12:14 am

It is very disappointing that National Geographic would show and therefore appear to support the actions and attitudes that this video displays. I live in an area in Southern California where we sometimes get rattlesnakes on our property, and I know how dangerous they can be, but I still don’t chop their heads off, videotape it, and make it sound like there were no viable alternatives. I have safely and uneventfully captured and relocated many rattlesnakes over the years, have seen other rattlesnakes in the wild, and have never thought of them as evil or predatory towards people. It is sad that people can be so thoughtlessly cruel to animals that they are afraid of, and National Geographic should not be perpetuating these misconceptions.

36. jason bagwell
    louisiana
    April 22, 2013, 12:24 am

To all you bleeding heart liberals…PISS OFF!!! This man done what any red blooded american man should have done..protected his home and family. personally i would have just shot it. but I see he live in a neighborhood so he took the best action…

37. jason bagwell
    louisiana
    April 22, 2013, 12:27 am

J you are so right. It is the bullshit like these foolish bleeding heart liberals are talking that is making americans a bunch of goverment dependant pussies..

38. Steph
    Dallas, TX
    April 22, 2013, 12:59 am

Easy fellas, it’s for education purpose only. agree with K, it’s actually an informative video to help amateur to face dangerous creature like rattle snake and we know now that it still can bite after being decapitated.
    I wish you could love your neighbor as big as you love this wild animal.

39. Joe
    UK
    April 22, 2013, 5:24 am

For those so-called animal lovers, it will be more cruel when you see the bites of these venomous snakes on human! Just do an internet picture search and see what this little animal can do to you.

40. joao
    Granada, Spain
    April 22, 2013, 5:52 am

The problem is the video! Very disapointed with NG.

41. l
    April 22, 2013, 8:54 am

if you are afraid of rattle snakes or any other animal for that matter killing your kids, then maybe you should not live so close to wildlife…..?

us ” hypocritical moonbats” would rather call animal control and have the animal relocated; and not take the easy way out………

42. [...] No wonder humans seem to have a genetic proclivity toward fear of snakes: zombie rattlesnakes. [...]

43. [...] National Geographic reports that Santa Cruz resident Thomas Scott recently found himself face-to-face with a rattlesnake. He valiantly chopped its head off, but found that nature is never that easy to subdue: [...]

44. AWright
    April 22, 2013, 5:32 pm

Why is it such a huge deal to you people that some guy killed 1 snake that could have hurt or killed one of his family members or himself? Are you going to whine and complain everytime someone kills a spider in their house? Nature is awesome if it’s not in my house or threatening myself or someone i love. Otherwise, it’s going to get killed.

45. Really?
    reality
    April 22, 2013, 6:27 pm

Wow. These comments are hilarious! “The poor snake” “The poor snake’s land” coming from people sipping soy mocha lattes with foam in a coffee shop that is on land that was stolen from Native Americans. Oh, and those coffee beans that you are ingesting come from struggling, 3rd world countries. You obviously don’t live around rattlesnakes.

If humans are so evil, you guys can always help out by jumping off a cliff.

46. Kelly
    April 22, 2013, 6:32 pm

Ridiculous NG! So many issues with this! Snakes aren’t poisonous, they are venomous – missing such simple biological facts make me question the direction this show is taking. Most importantly, I think it is incredibly ignorant that you encouraging the killing of these animals rather than a more humane approach such as a safe capture-and-release. There is a fear and disrespect of many animals, including snakes, in which NG should be trying to educate the public rather than feed into the hype. It is human ignorance that leads to the unnecessary killing of animals.

47. [...] Mother Nature is completely out of her f***ing mind, decapitated rattlesnakes can still strike and cripple/kill their enemies up to an hour after being decapitated. They can’t fly though, so now would be a good time to [...]

48. ryan
    April 23, 2013, 6:21 pm

Yep. People feel bad for the killing of animals that would not have hesitated to kill us if only they could. That’s humans for ya. We also feel empathy toward repeated convicts until we realize they will kill us if we unchain them. Go figure. I’m not sure how these things are morally impermissible by highly intelligent human standards, let alone the standards of nature where death is simply a failure to survive.

49. [...] ( thesuntvblogs.nationalgeographic [...]

50. Jim
    April 25, 2013, 7:44 am

Zombie snake!?
    Once NG was a serious magazine. Now it’s just another step towards idiocracy..

51. Kristina
    Washington
    April 25, 2013, 8:11 am

Thank you Nat Geo! I am a native Californian and also lived at the beach. I had no idea I might encounter a Rattle Snake. The fact that their venom or their heads are still able to give a lethal bite after being decapitated was educational to say the least.
    By the way, if Animal Control is as slow as the Police I would opt to killing it also. I have children and animals and want to keep them safe first.
    All in all, I learned things I never knew before.

52. Steve
    Dublin, OH
    April 25, 2013, 8:17 am

I’ve always believed that man is the steward of creation. I have no problem with National Geographic portraying nature in its purest forms but to glorify this type of senseless cruelty motivated by human ignorance toward a creature that is behaving in the only way it knows how, is just plain sad.

53. Alex
    In class :D
    April 25, 2013, 8:17 am

Come on national geographic! It’s cool and all but you re WITH killing snakes! And did that say POISONOUS? Snakes are VENEMOUS. Poison dart frogs and like poison ivy are poison cuz you get it from contact with it. Venom is pumped into your body/bloodstream/etc.

54. Lisa
    Washington
    April 25, 2013, 8:53 am

BRAVO NG! I see your point people, nature, don’t kill it, but what happens if you come across an already dead snake, your child comes across it? Allow them to pick it up? Come on people, there are more things to be concerned over than a man protecting his children from a deadly snake. You have NO idea if his family will have an adverse reaction to the venom so please, take it as it is: Do not play with snakes, don’t pick up dead ones, leave them alone! Whether or not you kill it, that is on you, relax, GEEZ!

55. Nature lover
    Australia
    April 25, 2013, 9:04 am

No rattlesnakes here, but plenty of other deadly species. Given the choice between a dead snake and a dead dog (or child), I’d opt for a dead snake any day.
    There is plenty of bushland around the place where snakes can live (and kill), but if I see them around my house, they end up the same way as the one in this video.
    Fact of life.
    The video might have been a bit amateurish, but it clearly shows that snakes can still be venomous for a period of time, after “death”.

56. gretchen
    April 25, 2013, 9:12 am

Ok, so it wasn’t maybe the best choice of a story, but it was very interesting to see how the snakes reflexes are still intact and therefore make it still dangerous to those around it. It a too rash then after this one story to be cancelling subscriptions and going back on their support of National Geographic. Really?! Is that how people make their decisions? That is not a very well-thought out response. National Geographic’s value goes way beyond one story or another.

57. kim
    texas
    April 25, 2013, 10:49 am

Ha! Made me look. I kill them too..repopulating the rattlesnake here in Texas has been an ongoing waste of taxpayer money kind of like repopulating fire ants…for what good purpose? I, for one am paying for a hard copy subscription as soon as this is posted!

58. Zes
    South Africa
    April 25, 2013, 11:24 am

lol… its so funny to hear a bunch of idiots wanna cancel their subscription without getting the point of this story. Go ahead, do it… NG dont need your money. Your small brains will produce other stupid comments if you stay

59. Nick
    Silicon Valley
    April 25, 2013, 11:29 am

So, if the homeowner did call animal control, what would they do with the snake? Oh, maybe kill it. It’s not like this was a rare animal with a line of people waiting to adopt one. But, they would do it out of the sight of people, and then it would be OK, right?

60. tim
    indiana
    April 25, 2013, 1:32 pm

too many people with to much time and if you would put your time to a better cause than a rattlesnake being killed… really.. lost priority’s and too many jump on this band wagon mentality. I am sure people that are worried about the poor little snakes would love folks to mail them their problem snakes and they could hug them and make them feel better-and send them back with better attitudes..

61. Gloria
    Ventura County, CA
    April 25, 2013, 3:09 pm

We have lived in the Santa Monica Mountain foothills for 25 years. We enjoy our natural neighbors, but try to learn the proper ethics. I have been a zoo volunteer for 43 years, but continue learning. I researched local protocol for rattlesnakes when we first sighted them on our property. We were told not to try to do anything ourselves because of the danger. Animal services told us to call them. We did when a large rattler made himself comfortable in our garage. They sent out a fully outfitted fire truck. They apologized when they told us they had to terminate the snake because they were not permitted to relocate it by local rules. When I told my fellow volunteers at the zoo, they freeked out & said I should just have relocated it myself. I truthfully told them that my husband would have died of a heart attack if I did that. We were all saved here when a retired Park Ranger settled in & took complete control of the relocation job. We are not bothered too much by rodents around here.

62. Abhinav Raj
    India
    April 25, 2013, 3:16 pm

I don’t know why the people are talking about “Other Options”. Have you considered the risk of letting that snake live? Your own and your family’s death. The law says you can kill another man in your self defense. That was just a snake. The man has not gone to the jungles and started searching for and killing snakes. He has just killed a threat that was on upon his family.
    About taping the thing I’d say that hats off to the person who was holding the camera. Had some guts.
    Also in NG’s defense, they’ve been informative as always, and have emphasized the fact that reptiles have their reflexes even an hour after decapitation.

I can never understand why there is so much fuss about the killing of a snake.

Also, I sincerely hope all of those complaining are vegetarians.

Because, here an animal was killed as it was a threat and there were fewer options other than to kill it, but if you are a meat eater, animals are killed for you just because you wouldn’t change your food habits, and here you have a lot of options; you wouldn’t die if you stopped eating meat whereas someone could have died if that snake was not killed.

I am not a vegetarian, but then, I am not complaining about the killing.

63. Lisa
    NJ
    April 25, 2013, 3:26 pm

As a scientific illustrator, previous long-term snake owner/caretaker and lover of all things nature, you’re darn right I’d want any rattler in my garage dead. When it comes to the safety of humans, especially in my own home, common sense means dealing with the problem right away, before it worsens.
    Thanks NG, for teaching me something new!
    - A respectful, bleeding heart human then animal lover.

64. Lee Mahery
    Australia
    April 25, 2013, 4:08 pm

Some absolute morons on here “done what a red blooded man should do”, “if you see a critter kill it” etc. Because you happen to share the land of a dangerous animal they have to be exterminated? You fucking idiots!

65. Laura
    CA
    April 25, 2013, 5:01 pm

This video is ridiculous and melodramatic. It plays on the fears that people have of wildlife. I live on the outskirts of Los Angeles, and I too have cougars, black widow spiders, trarantalas, scorpions, etc. living in the area. I find rattlesnakes on my property at least once a year. I keep livestock on my land and they are a threat, but not a big concern. To each their own, but I have captured and released every single snake. They help have a place in the local ecosystem and help to keep the rodent population down.

66. Snake Man
    Outback Australia
    April 25, 2013, 7:11 pm

I’d like to to conduct an experiment by chucking the bleeding heart snake lovers into a pit full of Eastern Browns, King Browns, Taipans & Death Adders and see how all their hippy do gooderness fairs them in saving their own skin.

67. CJ
    Oklahoma
    April 25, 2013, 8:32 pm

If you bothered to listen to the video narration, they state that he tried to get the snake out of the garage but that it was determined to resist. They did not condone his action, but instead wanted to show what happened to the head afterwards. I had heard that snakes could bite right after being decapitated for years, but had never known it was up to an hour and that they continued to scan for a victim. This information might possibly save a life someday. By the way, what do they think animal control would have done with the snake? Where I come from they would destroy it. I love animals and hate hunting and senseless killing, but I would definitely eradicate a danger to my family and neighborhood instead of taking a risk it would get away and return to kill. I have relocated nonvenomous snakes but would not be willing to risk dealing with a rattler.

68. GARY
    Morton, Washington
    April 25, 2013, 9:36 pm

ALL the way with NG and they handed this.’

69. GARY
    MORTON, Wa.
    April 25, 2013, 9:44 pm

NG handled this in a great fashion.

70. Frank LaPlaca
    N.O.LA.
    April 25, 2013, 10:00 pm

My comment on the ” ZOMBIE SNAKE ATTACK ” is that it was appropriate what the home owner did to kill the poisonous rattle snake that was a threat to his family. I would have ran and got my shotgun and blew the snakes head to bits, this way the snake would no longer be a threat. I read some of the bad complaint comments of total disregard that people have condemned what the man did by killing the snake. These rude comments made me so sick that I didn’t even want to comment and it’s forcing me to leave this site. What happened to the good will and understanding of human beings !

71. Ben
    Tennessee
    April 25, 2013, 11:08 pm

While I was living in Florida back in the eighties, in Bradenton . Some people built their houses on stilts to avoid some of the floods and high tides. A 4 year old girl was playing underneath her home, and a rattler swung down from wires hanging under the house and bit the girl in the head and shoulders 4 times before she could get away. She didn’t get very far before the venom affected her and she couldn’t scream or move. She died as her mother cooked dinner inside the house and didn’t even know it until she called her for dinner and she never showed up. They scoured the yard and found her body and rushed her to the hospital where she was DOA. The toxic venom had shut down her body by attacking her immune system and basically killing the entire nervous system. The venom that coursed thru her body turned it to a black color kinda like a potato gets when it starts to go bad. I have seen some pretty bad things in my life, but I will never forget that sight.
    I have grandchildren now and live in Tennessee, where we have several different species of snakes. BlackSnakes, Water Moccasins, Rat Snakes, Glass Snakes, Green Snakes, Cotton Mouths, Copperheads, and Timber Ratlers. We live in the country and when the kids come around and we run accross a snake I will kill it because of my babies. To me, the only good snake is a dead snake, even though I know that they do a necessary service and some of them aren’t venemous. i JUST DON’T EVER WANT TO SEE ANOTHER CHILD THAT LOOKED LIKE THE ONE THE Rattlesnake in FL bit.

72. K
    April 26, 2013, 2:13 am

An endangered/ protected species killed because the owner couldn’t be bothered to trap it and call animal control to remove and relocate the snake. He should be charged.

73. Jaco de Villiers
    Pretoria, South Africa
    April 26, 2013, 3:54 am

Really didn’t need to kill the animal! You can see it trying to flee! We are invading their space and then killing them! I’m not a reptile fan, even less a snake fan! But killing is unnecessary! Killing of any sort is unnecessary! very upsetting!

74. Mike
    Kenya
    April 26, 2013, 4:26 am

@em: the way you behaved here is similar to this snake. Look, u posted ur first comment at 5:44 am (head chopped off :P)…. but still scan the area and wait for opportunity to strike (one last bite) at 11:09 am… haha

Though, u stayed alive longer than the snake (more than 5 hrs) LOL

@Common Sense, Fiona: how long did it take ur bleeding hearts to finish first grade? You 2 looked struggled to get the point of this video. Canceling subscription?… lol most ridiculous threat I’ve ever heard.

75. Neil
    April 26, 2013, 4:28 am

Clearly decapitation is not a humane way to kill a snake, and Americans really are scared of everything and everyone else. Harden up, get over yourselves, and stop being so paranoid.

76. Lisa
    South Africa
    April 26, 2013, 4:37 am

National Geographic glorifying the senseless killing of an animal is not what I expect from them. The cheap, sensationalist “Fear Factor” narrative of the video makes me so sad. It symbolizes the way the human race constantly puts the needs of themselves above those of countless other species – and it will eventually mean the end of our “civilization”!

77. Swag
    April 26, 2013, 8:30 am

The devil came to Eve in the form of a snake.”serpent”
    She should have done the same thing.

78. ranil baguio
    phillipines
    April 26, 2013, 1:37 pm

wow.. maybe we should not under estimate the ability of nature, we should think the that lot of things that we don’t know

79. R. Griffin
    Mt. Shasta
    April 27, 2013, 1:00 am

I get a kick out of the wimpy people who think life can go on without killing anything. What morons. this animal will kill you, your pet or your children. Hippies need to leave planet earth, like they said they would…not tough enough for this world at all.

80. lorenzo
    April 27, 2013, 1:37 am

a bunch of pontificating armchair [critics], find a rattle snake in a house where your 2 year old lives. i’ll see what direction your moral compass points. the man protected his family from danger end of story! i can’t stand people who cry foul from the comfort of their couches. when you’ve experience what i stated above, come back and talk.

81. Roxanna
    Guyana
    April 27, 2013, 7:02 am

Why I say that zombie snake is really really creepy woo

82. Patsy Cross
    West Plains, Mo.
    April 27, 2013, 8:27 pm

That a decapitated snake’s head could still deliver a venomous bite up to an hour later is very useful information. I usually try to capture and relocate in an un-human populated area natural to the snake’s habitat. Down at our rivers you do encounter frightened people killing venomous and non-venomous snakes before you have a chance to stop them. This is useful information that I will share…

83. Dave
    California
    April 28, 2013, 7:17 pm

What an awesome video! Thanks, Nat Geo for posting this! Damn snakes think they can go anywhere they want, well I beg to differ. I’ll kill any snake that comes in my yard. I’ll call Animal Control so they can dispose of it. if they won’t, I’ll throw it in my yard trimmings trash can.

84. Ian Hall
    May 3, 2013, 9:39 am

I was left wondering how they disposed of the remains. Seems a shame to waste all that good snake when you can strip off the skin in two shakes and grill it over the coals. Rattler cooks up something lovely!

85. Use your heads!
    Canada
    May 3, 2013, 11:01 am

A few points here:

1. At no point does NG say that you should kill anything, I believe they are giving you a few justifiable reasons to take the actions Thomas took, and there are a few for sure. Should we kill every venomous snake we see? Absolutely not, and nowhere does NG say that in the video.

2. I think you missed the point of the video. It was not to “sensationalize” the killing of the snake. It was to explain a video that was already viral on the internet. Imagine the fear mongering and ignorance towards this video without NG’s explanation as to why it happens. They are trying to explain an extraordinary phenomenon in nature not promote killing.

Everyone needs to slow down and take a breath, these comments are crazy!

86. Elizabeth
    Atlantis
    May 3, 2013, 2:46 pm

Really? If people live around these creatures all the time they know how to deal with them…I’m an american and i would know better than to piss a snake off even in the after life. nature is amazing in the ways she can protect herself. They were here first, that human was a trespasser who just killed a native…Figure out how to deal with the animals you know you might be in contact with so you don’t endanger everyone around you and definitely don’t post videos or comments condoning such behavior, NG, I don’t believe you were defending the action but you also weren’t showing how to efffectively deal with it either. GET SMART.

87. Elizabeth
    Atlantis...and your room
    May 3, 2013, 2:56 pm

And you so called “Natives” weren’t even there when the snakes were there. You are minmal on a evolutionary scale. Snakes have already survived more then us humans will. I don’t care where you live you’re only here for a short time then you’re dirt. So maybe lets get off our high horse and respect EVERYTHING around us.

88. [...] wanted to see a rattlesnake head try to bite someone? That’s right–JUST THE [...]

89. Zack
    Missour
    May 7, 2013, 2:04 pm

my only sugestion if you get bite by a astralian tiger snake is bite back an say your good bys

90. Frank
    Huntington. WVa
    May 7, 2013, 3:02 pm

So, NG, what’s next?
    Perhaps filming the Japanese whaling fleet killing a whale and presenting it as evidence of the great advancements the Japanese scientists are making in protecting and preserving the species?

91. EPaul
    Tampa, FL
    May 7, 2013, 9:50 pm

I could think of about 50 better ways to dispose of the snake. Considering all of the homicides/murders I read about on the news every day…should I go around and decapitate any human that walks on my property as a “just-in-case”???

92. Redwill_Yau
    SZ, China
    May 7, 2013, 10:48 pm

Well, to my surprise , comments are funny just like those on Chinese issues by Chinese people.It seems to be a common recognition that ‘Liberals’ are universial existences,LOL. There could have be a better acceptive way to show how a decapitated rattle snake be still lethal .What i think NG should do may just add an educational part of the vedio suggesting people alternitives to deal with such a deadly encounter .

93. Ken
    May 8, 2013, 7:20 am

As for this snake, the pain function doesn’t seem to bother after losing big part of the body.

94. Zack
    GA
    May 8, 2013, 8:06 am

He did what he had to do. I have had to kill these things in my back yard. This is a learning experience about what happens after their death not about killing them. Why don’t some of you people that think this is mean, have one come in you garage. I have and guess what…. You kill it.

95. Crystal
    maryland
    May 8, 2013, 9:17 am

I am surprised that National Geographic displayed this video but the point that is being made is that even after death this rattlesnake can cause harm. I live in an area where there are rattlesnakes and copperheads. Of course I try to avoid these animals but I do know that if they are found close to the home where there are children or pets they are killed. I’ve heard stories where they have been found inside of homes, and I think when it comes down to your family’s safety or the ethical issue of killing an animal being safe outweighs the ethical concerns.

96. ME
    Portugal
    May 8, 2013, 3:06 pm

National Geographic is becoming the History Channel of nature docs. A couple days ago i saw a NG documentary about leopards where a mauled pup was shown in graphic detail, first hanging from a tree, then dragging it’s legs waiting to die, you can tell a story without showing these things, the bbc would never do that sort of thing.

97. ju
    oregon
    May 8, 2013, 3:58 pm

snakes are my favoret animals but i no what they can be like if there is a snake in your house KILL it why are you even on NT if you don’t like it it’s like oh no! i stepped on a bug this thing will kill

98. ju
    OR
    May 8, 2013, 4:04 pm

think what a rattle would do to you if you barged into his house slowly gobble you up

99. [...] when dealing with rattlesnakes cutting their head off is not enough. This is why God invented the [...]

100. Hey "Nat Geo"
    istanbul
    May 13, 2013, 11:10 am

your video doesn’t phucking play all the way through. Stops at 1 min 30 seconds. Learn how to do web development and use a video player that actually works across multiple platforms, will you??

101. ntula
    paris
    May 13, 2013, 2:23 pm

what an asshole, there was not the need to kill it. it was on it’s way leaving and the coward hit it from behind.

102. Nirrol
    UK
    May 18, 2013, 7:03 pm

“Oh look, a deadly snake on my suburban property.
    I know … let’s gently nudge it off our property and let it slither off, probably into someone else’s garden .. who cares if it kills anyone else, as long as it’s not me, right?”

I bet these comments are from people that still think Columbus discovered America.

103. Andrew
    Florida
    May 21, 2013, 4:14 pm

That snake could have easily moved around that shovel and striked that guy and it isn’t the stupidest thing I have seen on national geographic but I think national geographic is great on showing all the interesting creatures out there although I don’t really agree on how the make out the rattlesnake as so deadly I do believe that it is rare to die from a rattlesnake and he could of left it alone closed his garage blocked off the area untill he could fix the problem there is no need to really rush in that situation

104. Andrew
    Florida
    May 21, 2013, 4:18 pm

For those people that think killing the snake is the right most safe thing to do I would say try your best to not provoke it much less kill it dont you learn anything from those famous survivalist out there

105. Gary
    bethlehem, pa
    May 22, 2013, 3:04 pm

About 12 people are killed by rattlesnakes each year. So I would say that is definitely a stat that supports killing these animals. I’m saying this as I drink my beer (75,000 alcohol related deaths per year) and I’m smoking my cigarette (443,000 tobacco related deaths per year) and I’m cleaning my handgun (11,000 firearm related deaths per year). Yep, those homicidal rattlesnakes really need to be put in their place. I’m no “bleeding heart”, the term these numb skulls just love to throw around but give me a break. Look at the freaking number, morons.

106. Lily
    Colorado
    May 28, 2013, 1:22 pm

I would say if its in your property you have the right to kill it, one feels threaten, I wouldnt be able to sleep knowing I had a venemous snake in my property if u see it once it means its very likely to live there or come back and where there is one might be very likely to be more. Until you experience something like it u will not think about calling someone to relocate it, you want it gone, quickly. by the time animal control comes it might be gone! I say do what u have to do, to keep your mind at ease!

107. sarria
    May 31, 2013, 12:52 pm

I do not be aware that generate an income appeared in this article, nonetheless believed this create used to be excellent. I really don’t understand which team you might be but certainly you are going to a new well-known writer in case you are not by now. Best wishes!

108. Victory
    NIGERIA
    June 3, 2013, 3:44 pm

A rattlesnake will not hesitate to attack you if it sees you as a threat.The snake was a threat to the man and his family so he had to kill it.
    The death of that snake may mean the preservation of someone’s life

109. Victory
    NIGERIA
    June 4, 2013, 1:56 am

Oh whats the big deal rattlesnakes kill about 12 people (only).So we should let them live or carefully nudge them into another person’s garden to kill another kid right?
    Among the 12 people killed by rattlesnakes are someone’s kid,father,husband…..

110. Billy Jack
    July 16, 2013, 5:43 pm

Screw of all you nuts. That’s a friggin’ snake, theres plenty more where that one came from.

111. […] Hey Alec, Never sleep again! […]