Fresh out of the PJ schoolhouse, first-time deployers Chris and Lucas move from the beach to the battlefield when they are thrust into the war in Afghanistan with no experience in real combat. Friends since medical school, the two PJs will be the primary medics on the a.m. shift, responsible for saving the lives of the most critically wounded.

Chris’ interest in medicine started when he was a lifeguard; a man collapsed on the shore, and Chris had no idea what was wrong or how to save him. Having someone’s life in his hands was one of the most motivating, yet scariest feelings. After making it through the training pipeline for pararescue, Chris is confident that when the time comes, he will know what to do.

Lucas’s single mother played a huge part in instilling the drive and morals it takes to risk it all for another. His goal is simply to help people, and he feels war is the perfect place to positively impact someone’s life other than his own; it’s an opportunity he anxiously awaits.

Both rookies are thrown into the fire when the call to rescue drops: four Afghan National Army (ANA) soldiers and one American are in critical condition after an enemy attack and a deadly IED blast. Danger waits for the PJs too; reports say that insurgents are still in the area of the attack, ready to strike again. As the teams launch, commander Seth worries it could be a set up.

While preparing their weapons to fight their way into an area still hot, one 50-caliber machine gun malfunctions. Lucas’ team will have to risk landing right into a firefight, one gun down. Their information on the wounded changes by the second, but knowing multiple soldiers are clinging to life, they push on. Chris’ team lands first, while Lucas’ helicopter provides cover with their operating machine gun.

Dust blinds Chris’ team when they touch down. When it clears, they see chaos. There are numerous soldiers wounded, but none are in the serious condition the INTEL reported. Thomas, the commanding PJ on Chris’ team, makes the call for his aircraft to take them onboard. Suddenly, two Afghans drag an injured soldier onto the aircraft without a litter. He’s bleeding profusely from his wound, his left leg amputated by an explosion. They quickly lift off, but can’t leave for the hospital until Lucas takes the remaining casualties on the lead helicopter. The clock ticks as the Afghan loses more blood in flight. Saving the soldier will be up to Chris.

After the mission, Chris and Lucas meet by the restaurants at Kandahar Airfield’s boardwalk. The two PJs feel like they have been transported from the desert to the Santa Cruz beachfront, as they order ice cream shakes and watch servicemen play volleyball. Chris says he’s ready for the next challenge.

The final call to rescue is for a civilian injured by an IED blast and in critical condition. Chris’ team spares no time taking the man onboard. He struggles to breathe, and his face is bloody from severe lacerations. The pilots fly at low altitudes to help the flow of air, but the civilian struggles against the oxygen mask. Chris sees blood pooling in the civilian’s mouth and makes the call to perform a “cric,” a last-resort procedure. He hovers over the man’s throat with a scalpel, knowing the right move will save him, but missing the mark could prove fatal.

Back at base, the team debriefs on how the mission went. Afterwards, Lucas voices that too many civilians are caught in the crossfire of this war. He recognizes the bitter price innocent people have had to pay in Afghanistan, and that it is their duty to save them. If the PJs weren’t there to help them, who would?

Tune in to Inside Combat Rescue: Fog of War tonight at 10P

Comments

1. Art Nickel, WTC, USN Retired
    SW Florida
    March 18, 2013, 10:06 pm

Great service you men perform. It’s good to see that the USAF finally let you guys get some press, because you deserve it and a heck of a lot more!
    God bless you for your service and everybody you touch.
    Thanks to Nat Geo and USAF for airing your program.

2. mel
    usa
    March 18, 2013, 10:08 pm

I really admire these men. It is such an honor to see one rish their life for others. The question I have do they pick up the men who are fighting against terror aka the afgan soliders? How do they work? Thanks for the inspiration. Hopeful future doc

3. Shawna
    Tennessee
    March 18, 2013, 11:23 pm

I love this show. I am so proud to be an American, These men on Inside combat are true heros. I want to thank them for putting their lives on the line everyday to help others. Please keep this show on the air it has to be the best show I have ever seen. God Bless our men and women of the armed forces!!!!!

4. Nancy
    California
    March 18, 2013, 11:58 pm

Thank goodness for guys that are willing to risk their lives for others. It’s fascinating to watch, and I find myself getting tense watching them. A question. What does the alert computer say when a call comes in?

5. gdwhetz31
    March 19, 2013, 11:21 am

The call says “Leroyyyy Jenkins” a fictional character from a computer game.
    Does anyone know if this series will have another season? Six episodes is not nearly long enough!

6. Mark
    MD
    March 19, 2013, 5:30 pm

6 episodes is not enough! Great show!!! Get more footage and make more shows please!! Or maybe another service, like inside Speacial Forces Rescue or something.

7. Loretta
    North Carolina
    March 19, 2013, 7:12 pm

I hope you do more similar programs. Absolutely riveting and excellent. Has brought tears to my eyes more than once. Sorry to see this come to an end. GREAT programming!
    LaLa

8. Dawn
    Erlanger, KY
    March 19, 2013, 9:32 pm

These men are few men not looking for fame, They help our soldiers on their darkest day to make a difference. They are heroes in my eyes and very selfish men looking only to help.

9. Carla
    March 20, 2013, 1:28 am

I LOOOOOVE this show!!! I agree 6 episodes is NOT enough!!!!!!!! I feel so connected with these guys & their personal stories! I’m so sad its ending! Please make more season with them!

10. Natasha
    West Virginia
    March 20, 2013, 7:58 am

I love this show and I hope they continue it. It’s nice to see the military shown in a positive way. These guys are great.

11. Jerry
    Cross, SC
    March 20, 2013, 3:26 pm

This is an awesome show. These are very special Airmen. I hope there is another season.

12. Tracy
    Grants Pass, OR
    March 20, 2013, 10:59 pm

I love the format of this show! You feature a few different guys each week, I like that. These men really do handle some horrific calls and do not flinch from it or what has to be done. MUCH RESPECT! Please, keep going with this show, it shows our brave men and women in a whole different light that I think is informative and humbling.

13. tammy manning
    albany, new york
    March 21, 2013, 6:23 pm

please film more shows, we don,t want this show to go off the air

14. Lauren
    Baltimore, MD
    March 22, 2013, 4:00 pm

Just wanted to say huge props to Chris for “criching” the Afghan wounded soldier!!! Ive been a civilian medic for almost 9 years and I still don’t even like to start and IV in a moving ambo!! That took big stones, you rock!!!

15. Fred
    AZ
    March 23, 2013, 3:46 pm

Finally solved the alert sound clip, It’s Leeeroy Jenkins, you can google it but the audi is from this youtube clip,about half way to the end

16. jake
    March 24, 2013, 2:24 am

i want this to keep going this is a good way for the world to see the real wars and not games like they think they are. please keep the show going

17. Betty
    Centr Al.
    March 25, 2013, 8:47 am

May God bless these men and their familys and bring them togather safe and soon.

18. AJ
    Cincinnati
    March 27, 2013, 9:36 am

I agree that 6 episodes is not enough! I would love to see more!!

19. Sarah
    April 28, 2013, 12:05 am

This is probably the most fascinating show ever. I’d rather watch this than other trashy reality shows, like Jersey Shore. Please make another season! Six episodes isn’t enough.

20. Denise Rollheiser
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada
    May 2, 2013, 2:41 pm

I have been searching but can not find out what PJ stands for. I say ParaJumper but my husband says no. Can anyone help.

Thanks and have to say that we just say “Fog of War’ today – first episode we have seen of this program. Proud of the work that the Canadian AND American military are doing.

Denise

21. Gloria
    Wisconsin
    May 6, 2013, 11:51 am

This is the best show on TV. People use the word hero to easily, but the PJ’s are definitely true heroes. Some times the show is difficult to watch but it is so important that people see the sacrifice our soldiers are making.

22. tony