First Lieutenant Jeff is fresh out of the rigorous training program to become a Combat Rescue Officer and eager to take on the worst missions Afghanistan can throw at him. But he finds himself wanting during a lull in missions for his shift.

The slow period brings a unique feeling to the team; the PJs are anxious to perform after years of training, but responding to a call means someone is in critical condition and potentially close to death. Duane makes sure the rest of this young team stays focused during the down time. When a call comes in, Jeff and the others spring to action, but seconds before takeoff, a second order arrives, this time to stand down. Frustrations run high as the a.m. shift reluctantly leaves the helicopter.

But reports come in of a sudden spike of insurgent activity in the area. Captain Seth, the unit commander, and the Intel officers manning the tactical operations center suspect that the pace is going to change in a matter of hours.

The first mission drops: a single pickup in Afghan controlled territory. A soldier from the Afghan National Army is in need of urgent care; an IED explosion has partially severed his leg. The team responds quickly, but the area has not been swept for additional enemy mines. Jeff and his team must wait at a nearby base until the landing zone is clear.

Another assignment brings a grueling test to the team: an American forward operating base (FOB)  is under attack, resulting in multiple wounded Americans. Jeff and the PJs heads into the fight with limited information regarding the extent of the injuries. Worse yet, the team’s radio communication with the base is knocked out by a military scramble in the area. They are own their own, and Seth worries they are entering a trap.

Tune in to Inside Combat Rescue: Into the Fire tonight at 10P.

Comments

1. MJ
    USA
    March 4, 2013, 11:25 pm

How can I get a hold of Jeff?

2. Bobby smith
    fuquay-varina,nc
    March 5, 2013, 12:26 am

Man! I can not get enough of combat rescue. the video of ya flying over those mud huds. freaking cool. call me crazy, wish i was there. ya guys are freaking awesome!.

3. Linda
    Arkansas
    March 5, 2013, 12:35 am

What does the “J” stand for in “PJs”?

4. Linda
    Arkansas
    March 5, 2013, 12:45 am

I am more than impressed with the determination and dedication of these stellar young men. It’s hard to watch the graphic images of the critically wounded, but it makes us proud to know that our country is being defended and represented by such impressive and professional soldiers and airmen who are doing so much more than just pointing a gun in defense and/or support of the pursuit of liberty. Thank you, guys! Be safe out there!

5. Drill Sergeant Vee
    Ohio
    March 5, 2013, 11:30 am

Linda, the title “PJ” is an abbreviation of an old and traditional Air Force occupation title that means “Para Jumper”. This Air Force title originates from pre-Vietnam (circa late 50s/early 60s), when early AF rescue men were given this title. During Vietnam, the title was then officially changed to ParaRescue man, but the original title of “PJ” remained, and will so, indefinately.

6. MJ
    New Mexico
    March 5, 2013, 4:35 pm

How can I get a hold of Jeff??

7. PZ
    Bossier City LA
    March 6, 2013, 12:29 am

These men are amazing. Shame that our country doesnt realize what is actually going on over there and our politicians dont back them up… By the way, what is the alarm saying when it goes off

8. billy burcham
    texas
    March 6, 2013, 3:06 pm

1955 my work hut was about 20 ft. from the pararescue station and it was years later that I found out what they did other than jump out of a airplane over the airfield on some holiday.

9. Ron
    GGG
    March 6, 2013, 9:17 pm

Move over Deadlist Catch , Combat Rescue is it. Keep your Cake Boss and your Big Rig Bounty Hunters. This is real stuff. All American Heros doing their thing. Lets see more stuff like this

10. Barb Mullally
    Northern Washington
    March 6, 2013, 10:01 pm

I am hooked on this show. Thank you National Geographic, the Air Force and most important, the men that are putting their lives at risk continually to save the lives of others. My husband is retired Air Force, and when we watch it, he gives me commentary. He says “those boys, are a special breed” with a ton of pride. Thank you again, and please stay safe and God Bless.

11. XUSAF Mike
    Texas
    March 7, 2013, 8:47 am

I really like the long sleeve polo style shirts these guys wear. I would love to know how/where to get one.

12. Medic John
    Arkansas
    March 7, 2013, 12:47 pm

My hats off and most sincere admiration to these guys. Being a medic is hard enough but those guys go above and beyond ! I would also like to know what the alarm is saying when it goes off. Stay safe guys !

13. Desiree Herrera
    Texas
    March 7, 2013, 3:54 pm

I absolutely LOVE this show!! Its gives me an adrenaline rush just watching! As a prior Army wife of 8 years I think all these guys are awesome and I have so much respect and admiration for them. Jeff you are amazing… and I’m single!
    Can’t wait for Monday!

14. nadia shelby
    Maryland
    March 7, 2013, 6:59 pm

Totally intrigued and I’m amazed by their courage.

15. Fruits
    Oklahoma
    March 9, 2013, 2:44 pm

Love this show. My brother is with the 4th infantry div. and I have great respect for all Military. Thank you guys for all you do.

16. CJ
    USA
    March 10, 2013, 7:04 pm

I want to know more about Seth? And I want to say my son is in the AF and he turned me onto this show. LOVE IT!!!! It really brings it home what these guys really do out there and I know this isn’t even half of it but it sure gives us an idea what they do. GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS and they all need to come home!!!! STAY SAFE OUT THERE !!!!

17. eric
    March 11, 2013, 10:05 pm

Someone already asked this, but I’ve seen no answer….what is that alarm that sounds saying???

18. ScottTheDott
    Kansas City
    March 11, 2013, 10:33 pm

Seth needs to relax & not take it so seriously. At the end of the day,death isn’t anything that we can control. I was a FMF Corpsman in the Gulf War & have been a Firefighter/Paramedic for 20 years. Folks that take our job too seriously have a tendency tone self destructive or treat others poorly.

19. Rob
    Pembroke Pines Fl
    March 12, 2013, 7:38 pm

To all that ask about the alarm it is saying …….Leeroy Jenkins !https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJRfSZBU

20. dan
    p town
    March 13, 2013, 12:20 am

the alarm is saying LEROYYYYY JENKINNNNSSSSSS. google that up.

21. Randy
    Sacramento
    March 21, 2013, 12:06 am

When a call comes into combat rescue and the crew scrambles, what is being said? I can’t make it out and I want that to be my ring tone! Loud and in audible on tv.

22. jellingsen1987
    Las Vegas
    March 23, 2013, 8:10 pm

MJ – You wanted to get a hold of me?…. here I am…shoot me an email if you want to chat – jeff.ellingsen@hotmail.com

23. ryan jones
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    May 16, 2013, 11:44 am

I happened to stumble across this show and am now scheduling my day around it. I am a paramedic in Canada and give my full support to the PJ’s in this program and all medical professionals in any way shape or form. Medical personnell often go in fast and quiet and unnoticed. Your dedication is very much appreciated where ever you serve,,,,dowtown streets of a small community or Kandahar.

24. OTR
    Australia
    August 24, 2013, 6:22 am

When the radio silence happened…that was truly traumatising!! Glad everyone was okay.

25. Chris
    NZ
    August 31, 2013, 5:11 am

Thank you for the Leroy Jenkins info Rob and Dan, that is classic!!! Oh and the show is awesome too.

26. Levi
    Tampa, Florida
    November 2, 2013, 11:33 pm

Jellingsen1987 – Are you still open to accepting emails? I am a 15 year old interested in the CRO career field and would love to ask some questions about it if you are available