By: Michael Stankevich, Production Crew

I am a bad driver. It’s taken me a long time to come to this realization. Hopefully I’m still alive when you are reading this entry for The Incredible Dr. Pol.

One of the most pressing challenges of the production is to simply keep up with the man that is Dr. Pol. I mean keeping up in every aspect—but in this particular case, I’d like to write about driving.

Dr. Pol drives all over central Michigan on farm calls. At times, we chase him down back country roads while he leaves a trail of dust, and us, in his wake. I think it was only a week into the production when I found myself keeping up with—or at least, trying to keep up with Dr. Pol. I need to mention that my vehicle was, as usual, a little slow off the starting line.

Now, I wasn’t alone in my vehicle. I had a National Geographic executive, Geoff Luck, in the back and associate producer, Crystal Simms, in the passenger seat. We were behind the camera crew at a stop sign. Then I heard Charles’ voice on the walkie-talkie:

“You can make it!”

The camera crew pulls out onto the road and I follow right behind them. Little did I know, there is a semi-truck barreling down the road and it wasn’t slowing down. I swerved into the oncoming lane and I saw a car coming straight at me. The truck blew by and I swerved back behind the massive trailer. As the oncoming car flew past us, I think, “That was nice of him, he didn’t blow the horn at me. The people from central Michigan are a nice folk.”

The walkie-talkie cracked back to life. “Nice to still have you with us.”

As I think back and recall our near-death journey to a possible semi-truck pile up, I remember a couple of things. One is Crystal slamming her hand against the passenger window, mouth open but not making a sound. I’m still haunted by brother’s screams, “We’re going to die!”

But that’s another story. Hats off to the Geoff Luck; he was on a conference call the entire time, closed a deal, and mentioned I had superb defensive driving skills. I don’t think I thanked you for that. Thank you, Mr. Luck.

The funny thing is… they still give me the keys. Keep on truckin’, Dr. Pol. You haven’t ditched me yet.

On the next episode of The Incredible Dr. Pol: Before Dr. Pol is able to enjoy the Fourth of July, he must take care of animals in need. Dr. Brenda prescribes anti-anxiety medications to a puppy so she can get through the fireworks. Then, they receive a visit from a very sick dog, Gabby. Dr. Pol isn’t sure what’s causing her distress and it’s uncertain if she’ll wake up in the morning. Then, Dr. Brenda and Dr. Sandra help a cow in labor. The calves are positioned upside-down. Will they be able to save them? After the emergency farm calls and clinic visits for the week are complete, the Pols kick off their Fourth of July celebrations with a parade and a barbecue! With Charles manning the grill, family and friends gather at the Pols for some brats, potato salad, and fireworks.

Tune in to The Incredible Dr. Pol: Red, White & Moo this Saturday at 9P.

Comments

1. James Wyrick
    Rochester, Wa
    March 2, 2013, 10:36 pm

He touches a soft spot, he is an exempulary immigrant, one of the same caliber as many of the greats from 20th century. He and his dedication to serve his new found country is commendable, he is a picture of the quality persons we need so many more of. He came here with a talent and drive that I am sorry to say, most of the immigrants coming in to the United States today(illegally or otherwise)only bleed working Americans’ services/tax dollars and lend nothing to better this Nation. I applaud him and his family, making a difference for the betterment of the USA. Thanks Doc, and welcome.

2. Robin Smith
    Edisonan
    March 3, 2013, 4:32 pm

I LOVE Dr. Pol. He is a good honest man. Not like that dirty dressing ceasar. I cant stand him. I even change the channel when his commercial comes on. But Dr. Pol I would watch all his shows night and day.

3. Wileva Johnston
    Hollidaysburg, Pa.
    March 23, 2013, 9:04 pm

I love Dr. Pol’s show, but I do have a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach when I hear the comments from Mr. Wyrick and Ms. Smith concerning their obvious bias against today’s immigrants.
    They want the same things that you want, but they don’t look like you. They do the jobs that Americans won’t do. They clean you house, take care of your children, paint you houses, do your yard work. We used to live in Annandale, Va., nine miles from Was. DC where I worked. On the corners there would be men, young and old, waiting for contractors to come and pick them as day workers. And in this bunch, where everyone is living day to day to send money back home to their families, (and yes they do pay taxes, every time they buy food, gas, clothes). In the group of these poor people, you never see poor Americans there, be they black or white. Don’t tell me they don’t have the work ethic. Remember not too long ago in our history the Irish were greeted with signs “No Irish need apply”. Isn’t it about time we stopped all this garbage, and start helping ALL people’s, no matter what their color or national origin is. Think about this when you sit in church and think WWJD.

4. Chris Armagno
    Marysville PA
    April 11, 2013, 1:35 pm

I really enjoy every episode of Dr Pol. Can’t get enough, Please keep him in your programing. It takes me back to the old days on the family farm, Love everyone on his staff. They are the best! He is incredible for sure!

5. June Helus
    Alabama
    April 13, 2013, 11:13 pm

Sure sad that Nat Geo is cancelling Dr. Pol, due to complaints from a handful of viewers, well Nat Geo we will not be watching the replacement program, namely “Spoiled Rotten Pets”, talk about unsanitary…..tongue kissing between human and animal……really?????

While a handful of (mostly Vets?) viewers complained about Dr. Pol, did anyone ask or interview any of the 20,000 + clients of Dr. Pol? Seems to me 20,000+ clients, and many of them long time clients, speaks for its self. It is an insult to 20,000 some clients…..to suggest that they are subjecting their animals to abuse ya? Get a grip….lay off of Dr. Pol!

I agree animals feel pain just like humans do…..sometimes even humans have to suffer pain during medical procedures, I know that for a fact…..been there many times myself. Sometimes that just can not be changed, and sometimes it can and doctors won’t. Perhaps some of those folks that seem to know soooo much, should talk to some human cancer patients, or go online and read some of the blogs of humans as pertains to pain management…..just sayin.

6. Rhonda Harris
    Madison, Mississippi
    April 13, 2013, 11:49 pm

I do not know anything about veterinary medicine, but I do find that Dr. Pol is just a down to earth old vet medicine guy who genuinely cares for animals. I dont understand all of the recent complaints of his “inhumane” vet care in the televised show. As a pet owner growing up my whole life, I have to believe that vet services and medical care as a whole has come a long way since the earlier days. Why are people complaining about this show? What did people do in the old days when their animals got sick? If Dr. Pol had been there to treat their sick animal, I guarantee you that animal would have had a chance to survive! Just saying that with the years gone by certainly treatments and procedure have changed. You can’t blame and old school veternarian for the his ways and the techniques for which he has practiced his whole life. He is only practicing old school vet medicine. Don’t shoot a man down just because he does what he grew up learning his whole life in this business. He practices what he knows and so be it if it is old medicine. Of course we are all very happy with today’s moderine medicine miracles, but let’s not forget the people who paved the way!

7. Joseph Bolt
    Lenoir City TN.
    April 20, 2013, 11:47 pm

We love to watch the Dr Pol show .If he is replaced by spoiled rotten pets we will be watching something else.The name of this show and the ads are enough to make you sick . We love animals but this is ridiculous.

8. JACKIE GRIEM
    fLORESVILLE TX 78148
    April 22, 2013, 7:06 pm

DR POL IS WHAT EVERY PET LOVER WANTS IN CHARGE OF OUR PETS. I HOPE THE SHOW IS NOT BEING CANCELLED. ANYONE WHO WORKS WITH ANIMALS KNOWS HE IS EXCELLENT WITH HIS CARE!

9. Mr. & Mrs. Lester Stiles
    27835 Meridian Hts. Lp., Sweet Home, OR
    April 27, 2013, 10:12 pm

We love Dr Pol’s show! Please don’t take him off the air.
    We saw “Spoiled Rotten Pets”, and don’t want any more of that sort of trash. We are proud American seniors and love to watch good programs on Nat Geo.

10. John Hansell, VMD
    Washington, PA
    May 8, 2013, 3:19 pm

I am a veterinarian, and I think Dr. Pol is teriffic. All vets (and physicians) find certain short-cuts that work, and his techniques work, and it”s obvious that he loves his work, his patients and his clients and neighbors. There aren’t many people in health-care who are in that category!

11. Judy Hubbard
    May 14, 2013, 7:40 am

who can we write to in order to get dr. pol back on tv in Kansas?

12. Paul & MaryAnn darr
    strawn, Texas
    May 17, 2013, 10:06 pm

we can’t get enough of Dr Pol. We watch every show several times! I wish he had a clinic in our town- he would have us as new clients.

13. Trish Buchanan
    Philadelphia, Pa
    May 24, 2013, 1:16 pm

I was just reading the complaints about Dr. Pol (namely from other vets) I was completely disgraced by this. I believe Dr. Pol and Dr. Brenda are wonderful doctors. They really care not only for the animals but for the owners as well. They work their butts off and have an understanding of their clients pets/farm animals/etc…I have to agree with one of the comments about the show “Spoiled Rotten Pets” give me a break. That show is beyond bizarre and useless. Dr. Pol is the only “Reality” show I ever watch.

14. Rachel Sullivan
    Harford Co. MD
    May 31, 2013, 6:36 pm

I live on a farm. Not all things are steril and pretty. Dr. Pol helps farmers save their animals. Sometimes it is in their fields, or their barns. Not everyone can bring a cow or horse to the Vet Center for care. Having animals you sometimes need to go back to old medicine to save their lives. Get over it.

15. Debbie Annis
    round lake Ill
    June 1, 2013, 4:13 pm

I can’t believe they are cancelling Dr. Pol. What ever happened to freedom of speech and the pursuit of happiness.? Because a few vets are bent out of shape they have to condemn a fellow Dr.? I wish I could move to Michigan and have Dr. Pol as my vet for my pets!!! The vets out here are all money hungry. All they care about is how much product & services they can get you to buy! Dr. Pol isn’t hurting anyone, if you don’t like the show don’t watch it! It is pretty sad when a bunch vets have nothing better to do then try to persecute another vet. It is not like Dr. Pol was taking away their clients for god sake! Try judging yourselves for a change and not an innocent person like Dr. Pol. I hope you like “spoiled Rotten Pets”. Are you going to complain about that show? Letting dogs lick your lips……… Well you should! That show is disgusting. And I am appalled that Nat Geo wild didn’t have the guts to stand up for Dr. Pol. you knew what you were getting into when you filmed the show. And why would you give in under pressure? Well there go your ratings!!

16. Janet Rush
    Redding, CA
    June 9, 2013, 9:52 pm

Not only will I not watch a replacement since there can be no replacement for Dr. Pol! NG is making a BIG MISTAKE in cancelling this, not only informative show, but a man who is caring and shared his practice and family with ALL HIS VIEWERS. This is another instance in our Country where a very few can make a change. It doesn’t matter what the majority cares about or wants.

17. Regina
    NC
    June 28, 2013, 3:30 pm

Sure miss the Dr Pol show. My family watched every show that has been on. Sure hope you bring Dr Pol back on.

18. Wanda
    Griffin Ga.
    July 2, 2013, 11:37 am

I completely agree that todays vets are the most money hungry people,my husband AN I loved watching the show an i had to google to find out what happen to the show Dr.Pol,we have never an want ever watch the show that took its place,BRING DR. POL BACK HE IS A DOWN TO EARTH VET THAT CARES ABOUT HIS ANIMALS ,WHO HASN’T MADE A MISTAKE IN LIFE EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES.

19. ShellyB
    Pa
    April 1, 10:17 pm

I am disgusted by the rank amateurs that are in the Vet field..money, chemicals, all they want I had some, who knew my bank account more than my pets then they killed my pets with negligence, and hurt others so not impressed.
    Rural Vet, with no Mobile Unit means hands on work, his hands were good. Up to your neck in _____ Bet those Hollywood Vets are not up to that 24/7.
    One mistake…I didn’t see the case but something was not answered, who was her Vet that gave her due date? Why didn’t she go back, esp if pup didn’t deliver. Why wait two weeks to get second opinion…Judge think about that:?

Keep up with him…he is on call to emergencies…I would like to see you keep up with fire, police, SAR, etc in emergencies..not time, patient is dying…keep up or put a camera in car on his hat…
    Like to say that Shearing Queen is not impressive…that is one sister who is in it for money…good touch Natl Geo. Why not Duck Dynasty too. Reality TV…at least with Dr Pol you see the good, sad, ugly. That is reality. Hope he gets picked up elsewhere. Thanks for the information to make me better rescue person. Rescues are not clean healthy either so I won’t be calling those phony Vets. Can you imagine them at Katrina, Floyd Joke, they were too busy shopping.

20. Larry Solomone
    June 1, 6:44 pm

WE love Dr Pol……Yes, he cares about the animals he sees