Wicked Tuna is back! Last season we all got hooked on the toughest fishing on the Atlantic, bringing in the elusive and wily bluefin tuna. Taking in a bluefin with a rod and reel is no small feat, but the rewards can be as monstrous as the fish. The fishermen are tough, but sometimes the competition is tougher. Everyone is wondering- who is the best of the best?

There are few more exciting and frustrating ways to make a living. The fishing vessels on Wicked Tuna have a short ten-week season to reap the bounty of the sea. Fishing is not inexpensive, however. The equipment, the fuel and paying the crew adds up to big bills that may or may not get paid off by a big catch. One big bluefin can bring in as much as $20,000, but long days with nothing to show at the dock can eat away at a Captain’s savings. Bluefin fishing is not for the faint of heart. One man’s catch is another man’s loss and the competition is fierce. Who are you rooting for? This season brings back all our old favorites and one new kid to the block. Who’s in the lead? For now it’s the Pin Wheel. Check out the leaderboard to see who’s on top and vote for your favorites. Currently the top three boats are:

Pin Wheel is run by a three-man crew from New Hampshire and led by a 24-year-old captain named Tyler. Tyler’s privileged background (he attended prep school where he met his first mate Alex) has afforded him his own boat at a young age. The kid can fish, but can he hold his own against the masters? So far it’s looking good for him.

Captain Dave Marciano supports three kids, including one in college, with the money he makes fishing bluefin tuna. First Mate Jason Muenzner, Marciano’s nephew, is learning the ropes from his uncle. Hard Merchandise is a beat-up, workhorse of a boat from 1984. Compared to the other crews’ boats, the Hard Merchandise has been described as the “bastard stepsister” of the fleet. Still, Hard Merchandise bring in the fish.

FV-Tuna.com is a fiercely competitive vessel led by Captain Dave Carraro. They get the fish. They’re the best and they know it. Captain Dave isn’t the most popular guy in the water, however. Envied and despised by the other boats, the FV-Tuna.com has been described as the “evil empire” of the sea. But will their winning streak endure?

The other three boats have yet to bring in a bluefin, but that could change this week. The three remaining boats are:

Whichever vessel is your favorite tune in and don’t forget to vote. The second season is going to be wicked and you don’t want to miss it! This week’s episode delves into the heart-pounding precision of harpooning with the Christina, but there’s no telling who is going to come home with the prize. Tune in and watch Wicked Tuna: Go Fish this Sunday at 9PM et/pt.

Comments

1. Brian W.
    Colorado
    January 19, 2013, 2:09 pm

Great show! Very entertaining. My favorite rig is Hard Merchandise. I think Captian Dave is one of the realest guys on the show. He reminds me of like someone from Southie Boston and probably has some storie’s to tell, but at the same time you can tell hes a family man who’s willing to work hard for his family to be happy. And he has family he’s teaching how to keep the big tuna tradition in house. On the other hand their’s the other captian Dave on the Dot Com who’s pretty whiney and seems like he’s always on his time of the month. You can tell he’s a silver spoon kid who came from some Boston suburb and he expects everyone to kiss his as. I can’t stand it that he’s the most sucessful boat. But I think things are about to change because he nit-picked his best crew person off the boat and we’ll see if he knows how to swim b/c he’s about to sink w/o his best mate. Anyways can’t wait to watch this season although I wish they would take of those darn word bubbles or whatever you call them. I call them distracting and annoying!

2. Dsw1201
    Pennsylvania
    January 20, 2013, 9:04 pm

The disrespectful crew from the Pin Wheel has made me no longer want to watch the show. Poor judgement on the part of your channel to allow them to be part of the cast. If I want to watch a bunch of pinhead, disrespectful punks I can watch MTV and their shows. I reallly hope the veteran crews out fish them and send them back to New Hampshire ASAP.

3. Mrs. Kath
    Maryland
    January 20, 2013, 9:24 pm

I have to say, I just got up . I stopped watching. I really don’t want to watch harpooning fish. That’s not fishing. I liked the new kids coming in. But, if your going to show fish being harpooned, I am not going to watch. Others may like it. But for me, sorry, I like the old way. That was worth watching.

4. Fishing On My Mind
    NC
    January 20, 2013, 10:42 pm

What happened to Tuna.Com… domain name is now owned by Bubble Bee Company (tuna) did they buy the web domain from Dave? Is that how he paid for a new boat??… What does the FV in FV-Tuna.com stand for??

• Meghan Gleason
      January 23, 2013, 11:31 am

The FV stands for fishing vessel.

5. devlin
    brigantine nj
    January 21, 2013, 10:29 pm

hard merc.fighting tuna ep.2 first he has fish on nickle plated reel then same fish? all of sudden its gold reel Joke!

6. David
    January 23, 2013, 3:00 am

Editing is terrible on this show! Is it that hard to tell the difference between clear and green line? Come from a fishing family, living in the military world, love Hard Merchandise, fish on!

7. Kathy Kowalski
    Weymouth
    January 23, 2013, 8:14 pm

Really enjoy watching Wicked Tuna, but I’m not sure about the new guys. The kids from NH are annoying and I prefer the real fishing vs harpooning. This show made me visit Gloucester this summer- so beautiful.

8. JR Tomlin
    Portland, OR
    January 25, 2013, 1:30 pm

I have just discovered that National Geographic is doing a program promoting the anti-gay organization The Boy Scouts of American. National Geographic just lost my support and I will do anything and everything I can to see that I am not the only one.

9. pamv
    January 26, 2013, 11:33 am

I hate that the networks feel the need to bring more bad behavior and foul mouths to a great show.The nastier people are the more the networks love them.The new kids are punks and add nothing to the show.If you want to see people acting like jerks watch the Kardashians and Big Rich Texas etc.No wonder people are so hateful now.

10. Gregg Knowles
    Bakersfield, CA
    January 26, 2013, 10:25 pm

I am watching the first episode I have seen in which harpooning of these beautiful fish is being exploited, using an aircraft as a spotter. I am a hunter of other land-based game and in every state I am aware, using an aircraft to spot prey is illegal. If bluefin numbers are down 1/4 from the 1950s as the show states, it would seem that fishing techniques should be subject to similar laws. These guys who gloat over taking three fish a day to a fisherman using a rod and reel should be ashamed of themselves. The numbers are down…overfishing has to contribute to that…duh!

11. kenny inaba
    California
    January 27, 2013, 3:18 am

I have never been more sick to know that harpooning is allowed and would be shown on your show. When National Geo. is sending the message that their methods of fishing helps keep the population alive, and I see harpooning where they mostly wound/kill and don’t catch,i can’t help but call into question the integrety of the whole message. Bad move kill the losers from your show.

12. Lou
    Rhode Island
    January 27, 2013, 10:23 am

Really enjoy the show. I like the back and forth between the crews. I haven’t decided on the new crew yet but I hate the harpooning. What are they going to do when they harpoon a shorty? And using a airplane to locate the fish really !!!

13. Marshall Peterson
    mich.
    January 27, 2013, 8:43 pm

Now you allowing no bleeping of gods name in vain? Was a good show. bye bye.

14. Andrew
    Chesapeake
    January 27, 2013, 9:58 pm

Bounty hunter has years of experience but can’t hook up. Old man billy is tired and worn out. Can’t even gaff a tuna. You never steal numbers. Dot com and hard merch are my favorites!

15. Craig Otrander
    January 28, 2013, 1:11 am

Team Bounty hunters disgust me vile lazy no good thieves can’t Evan throw a gaff or hook a fish on there own they should not even be out there.

16. Daniel B
    Oahu, Hawaii
    January 28, 2013, 4:29 am

This show has gotten terrible, first it is all edited, scenes have different reels, different line colors, different backgrounds, different water conditions, common national TV at least make it look real. Then you have the crews, they fish in very nice waters compared to Hawaii fishermen, but yet they complain constantly about the ocean, Most Hawaii fishermen fish for tuna in 6-8 feet seas with 10-20 MPH winds and their fish handling skills are far superior to these guys. But yet they get 10-20 bucks a pound for Bluefin compared to Hawaii Yellowfin at 3-5 bucks a pound. Hey National Geo, come to Hawaii and see how the tough guys fish. Aloha D

17. Zel Paterson
    CT
    January 28, 2013, 7:29 pm

Capt Dave and his crew on Hard Merchandise are The Real Deal! Live to fish and fish to live! And for the rest of ya’ wanna be pansies, Quit your bitchin and get fishin’!

18. SaltwaterTom Dickinson
    January 28, 2013, 9:24 pm

Watching this show for the first time last night, I noticed all the rod and reel boats are equipped with gold in color Penn Internationals (I think) except it appears Hard Merchandise has one silver in color Accurate brand reel. The clips of the guy supposedly fighting a fish go back and forth between him cranking on a gold reel, then a silver reel, then a gold reel, then a silver reel. In addition, the close ups of their hands pulling on the line goes back and forth between different colored lines on the same fish. If your editing team is going to use BS clips for dramatic effect, they need to make sure everybody has the same gear. I’m just an amateur fisherman, and I can tell they are using clips from several different fish fights to make things look more dramatic. I thought this was NatGeo, not Bravo or TruTV…………..

19. Lesley S
    South Africa
    February 5, 2013, 5:04 am

For a channel dedicated to informing and preserving wild life in its natural state, the terrible cruelty shown in catching these beautiful sea creatures and not being ashamed to show pride in reeling them in is one of the most violent and stomach churning programmes on air. Please remove it. Fishing should not be allowed. It has been proven that fish DO feel pain and stress. This is not a sport, and if you choose to legitimise it by calling it sustainable, that is making a joke of serious wildlife conservation. There is no difference between this “sport” and the Japanese harpooning whales for “research”.

20. Joe
    Boston
    February 6, 2013, 8:35 pm

Loved the first season, can’t stomach season 2 with the pin wheel cast. I am not going to waste my time watching 3 disrespectful kids. You had a great first season to bad you ruined season 2.

21. E
    Va
    February 10, 2013, 9:56 pm

We have been fans of this show since the season began, but we are not at all impressed with the new crew. What a bunch of immature punks!! Send them back where they came from, please!!!!

22. Sharon Barnabei
    CT
    February 10, 2013, 10:03 pm

Hard Merchandise is my favorite. The baby boy Tyler is a disgrace and childish and immature. I liked the show before he came…not sure if I’m going to watch any more.

23. mark bankus sr
    michigan
    February 10, 2013, 11:35 pm

the pin wheel guys need to go, to cause a rucus at the docks and then the cpt of the other boat gets banned is totaly wrong, if this is what you promote then I no longer need to watch the show, pin wheels pin heads, you are going to loose a lot of viewers, it was better with the locals…

24. CT Green Eyes
    CT
    February 11, 2013, 2:20 pm

That immature boy Tyler is a disgrace to real fishermen. Grow up.

25. silbear
    February 11, 2013, 7:37 pm

good show, enjoy watching. but is it really needed to write on the screen everytime they say something. It is annoying to have to see it all the time.

26. Jones96792
    Waianae,Hawaii
    February 18, 2013, 3:08 pm

I think the those gloster fisherman can’t touch Hawaii fisherman the average boat here is between 17 and 24 feet the waters alway rougher we still have big fish just not big bluefin and most commercial guys do it one man not one guy drive one guy fight the fish one guy to gafft that’s crazy you should come to Hawaii and do a show about real fishermen

27. JoJo
    Gulf Breeze
    February 23, 2013, 11:01 am

Children at play, I think it is very funny that FV fishing catches a tuna and leaves the spot and thinks they should go home and sleep and come back to the same spot and catch tuna. LOL And don’t expect others to use that spot in that big ocean. I think i’ll take up fishing just to piss idiots off.

28. A Reel Local
    Cape Cod
    March 10, 2013, 9:21 pm

When the editors start piecing the show together they should probably use footage from one fish at a time. They switch from one camera angle to another and the rods are in different holders… Poof… and back to their original positions in the next shot. Is it even the same day? I could go on, but that’s enough for now.

29. anonymoose
    PEI
    March 18, 2013, 7:44 pm

I think it’s great that the author of this article doesn’t know the difference between “their” and “they’re”. I guess I should have become a writer.

30. Ed
    Florida
    April 11, 2013, 3:25 pm

I think it’s a great little show that mirrors the world and the different personalities. By the looks of all these remarks, it has managed to glean different emotions from a segment of people interested in fishing. And like the world it has also managed to lure those individuals who view the catching and eating of fish as crulity; a stancce I’ll never understand considering the Son of God enjoyed catching and eating the same food source. All the crews has their atributes and faults, but the former out-shine the later. Keep up the excellent work.

31. dave
    chicopee ma.
    August 13, 2013, 4:49 pm

Just seen on fishing report that a man from outside boston , chartered a boat from the show and caught a900 lb er. I love the show , GO dave hard merchandise must be a Harley guy

32. Susan Haugland
    California
    September 22, 2013, 2:27 pm

Watching this program reminds me that we still have hard working people in American. My favorite boat is the Pin Wheel.
    In spite of the of the negative comments, I feel that Tyler is a good captain and that he runs a good boat. Being younger he takes more chances but seems much more level headed than some of the other captains. I look forward to forward the next season.