The war that rivals Vietnam as the United States’ longest still rages in Afghanistan. Near Kandahar, insurgent fighters ambush American and Allied soldiers, while the Taliban’s I.E.D.s – Improvised Explosive Devices – don’t distinguish between military and civilian, friend and foe.

In the heart of the fighting are the Pararescuemen (PJs) of the 38th Rescue Squadron, who have made it their mission to risk their lives to save those in peril. For the first time in their history, the PJs allow camera crews to extensively cover their missions in Afghanistan. Inside Combat Rescue is the story of the lives of these elite airmen on and off the battlefield.

(Read More >> Part Warrior. Part Medic. All Hero.)

When the rescue call rings out, the PJs rush to the extraction point in Pave Hawk helicopters. Talented pilots and gun crews give the PJs the best chance at completing their mission quickly and without any loss of life.

Deployment always begins with saying goodbye. Senior Airman Barry shares a moment with his parents before boarding the plane with the others. At just 22, he is the youngest member of the unit. Barry flies with two experienced airmen, Staff Sergeants Matt and Trevor. As the rookie in his three-person team, Barry gets many chances to prove his worth and learn on the job. Matt anxiously awaits the news from his wife, whether his first child will be a son or a daughter.

Another newcomer hails from a base in Nevada: First Lieutenant Jeff. As a Combat Rescue Officer (CRO) it is his job to strategize the missions and make sure that his PJs make it out alive. Although Afghanistan is his first deployment, he has trained hard for the opportunity and aims to hit the ground running. Jeff knows this is exactly where he should be and embraces the dangers he and the men will face.

The unit is also backed by experience. Team Leader Duane has 17 years of active duty behind him while Staff Sergeant Brett has six deployments in the past five years. Captain Seth, the Unit Commander, also offers his advice to the PJs, making sure they stay sharp during the hard months of deployment.

Four teams of PJs and CROs work around the clock to make sure the casualties of war get a second chance. See what it takes to be a PJ and what it means to serve by the motto- “These things we do that others may live.”

Inside Combat Rescue premieres Monday, February 18 at 10P

Comments

1. superiorgrpllc
    AU
    November 14, 2012, 11:47 pm

Its very danger rescue !! appreciate all the rescue team..

2. Kevin
    NC
    November 18, 2012, 1:56 pm

I met the crew of this series on a plane from California. Great guys, young, eager to tell th story of these fine airmen. Good job and I can’t wait to see it. Keep your eye out for the doc “Two Shining Ses” about veterans bicycle ride across the US.

3. Maj David Faggard
    USAFCENT
    December 14, 2012, 10:38 am

The photo should call these folks, Airmen…not Soldiers.

• Meghan Gleason
      December 14, 2012, 2:31 pm

Thanks! We’ve corrected that information.

4. Eric
    January 3, 2013, 1:27 am

When does this series start?

5. Karri
    January 4, 2013, 7:05 pm

My brother is a pilot in this documentary. I am looking forward to seeing this :)

6. Tim
    Duncanville, TX
    January 16, 2013, 12:51 pm

When does this start?

7. mike
    January 22, 2013, 11:42 am

are u sure this aired already?

8. mike
    January 22, 2013, 11:43 am

… if not when does it start? cant wait

9. Liz
    Michigan
    January 24, 2013, 1:14 pm

Can’t wait to watch this series. Would like to see more short clips on the site. Good to see some recognition for these special operators who we very rarely hear about, despite the dangerous missions they perform. Anyone who knows anything about special operators knows these guys are dedicated, skilled, and way to modest to toot their own horn. Only 10% make in through the initial indoctrination course. Thanks NatGeo for putting the spotlight on them, they’ve EARNED the recognition!

10. Debbie
    Las Vegas
    January 30, 2013, 11:19 am

My son Jeff is the CRO…can’t wait to see it!!!

11. Jessica
    Moody AFB
    January 30, 2013, 6:00 pm

Will this be available on Hulu plus!? I really want to see it, I’m at Moody right now!

12. Todd
    Charlotte, nc
    January 31, 2013, 7:43 pm

What is the song in the commercial
    for this show

• Meghan Gleason
      February 1, 2013, 11:10 am

The song is Radioactive by Imagine Dragons.

13. angel
    February 6, 2013, 2:45 pm

My husband was a PJ so it brings back alot of memories

14. Trevor
    Ohio
    February 7, 2013, 3:53 pm

What is the song played in the commercial ?

• Meghan Gleason
      February 7, 2013, 4:42 pm

Radioactive by Imagine Dragons

15. William "Bill" Cordes
    Hahira Georgia
    February 7, 2013, 9:17 pm

Just got home from the World Premiere at Moody AFB and was very impressed. It flooded my senses and emotions. It was as if I were deployed again. The access of the embedded crew had us riding along with the PJ’s on missions. Outstanding editing and camera work. My personal favorite was the shot from the refueling boom back towards the HH-60. Thank God for the the USAF. They are the best.

16. J
    Overseas
    February 9, 2013, 12:27 pm

The enlisted aircrew on the PaveHawk are not “gun crews,” their is 1 each of a Gunner(left seat) and a Flight Engineer(right seat.) Everyone’s job is as equally important as the guy next to him! Cheers!

17. Todd Ricahrdson
    Midland Texas
    February 9, 2013, 10:47 pm

My best friend SSGT. Douglas Eccleston gave his life in 2001, “THAT OTHERS MAY LIVE” I miss him…..I hope this show pays homage to the PJ’s who gave their lives…….

18. Dustoff medic
    Vermont
    February 13, 2013, 7:33 pm

This series takes away from the SOLDIERS that do the same job with out the giant guns attached to the aircraft, in my 10 years in the MEDEVAC community I have not once met a PJ in a combat zone, not saying they don’t do it or deserve respect, the series just makes the Air force seem like they are the only ones that do it.

19. TSgt Ciz
    February 15, 2013, 5:31 am

I think of this bands songs, this would have been a more fitting choice for a theme song.

20. Bradey
    Pendleton
    February 17, 2013, 12:56 am

What is the songs name that they play on there comercial.

21. Nick
    Portland, Oregon
    February 17, 2013, 3:57 am

@ Dustoff Medic why talk crap? Have you been in Country? If you have you would have respect and not talk crap. Being over seas and coming back humbles you. I don’t think your part of the brother hood your a wanna be. Non military member go play air soft and think your a solider. You know what a POG is?

22. Josh
    Central Point, Oregon
    February 17, 2013, 9:12 pm

@Dustoff Medic, you do not do the same job that the PJs do. USAF PJs are SPECIAL OPERATIONS combat Airmen whose primary mission is search and rescue. They go to parts of Navy SEAL school and parts of Army Ranger school, along with their Air Force schooling. If “dust off medics” don’t fall under Special Operations, you should probably ask yourself why and then go research it.

23. Dustoff medic
    February 17, 2013, 10:03 pm

Iraq 2005 2006, Iraq 2010, 2011 in Baghdad pulling Medevac over 1100 patients each time. Not once, I repeat not once did I ever see a pj or a pj doing Medevac. Oh not to mention leaving for Afghanistan shortly. And I mean no disrespect to the fallen and I’ve lost friends of my own so how dare you try to through that In my face. GYDS

24. jshaw23
    nv
    February 18, 2013, 12:04 pm

“Dustoff medic” you dont see them because we do the mission that the medevac or anyone else could or would do. In Afghanistan we had to take most mission due to the amount of hostile forces and the known intel that they were trying to bring down a helicopter. Respect for what you do but damn sure respect what i do.

25. jshaw23
    February 18, 2013, 12:05 pm

Correction ” could or would not do”

26. Jonathan Search
    England UK
    February 18, 2013, 12:44 pm

Will inside combat resuce be shown in the UK?

27. Eat Crow
    February 18, 2013, 2:08 pm

@ Dustoff. First it’s “throw” not “through”. And, really, why do you feel the need to rain on the parade? No one is disresepcting the Army. In fact the Army gets a lot of love. Ever see Saving Private Ryan? Black Hawk Down? (You do realize PJs were in Somalia in 1993, don’t you?) Platoon? For that matter, MASH? What signature movie or TV show does the Air Force have? Good Lord, let the PJ’s and Pave Hawks have a turn for once. Thank you in advance NatGeo for this series that I am going to enjoy.

Btw, I am a vet, so no need to throw the service thing in my face as it will fall on deaf ears.

28. Dustoff medic
    February 18, 2013, 4:16 pm

Oh I forgot everyone is special forces, I’m special 90 days at a time too

29. John
    February 18, 2013, 4:38 pm

@Josh@Nick I too have watched the History channel and saw all the training the PJ’s go thru. You seem to forget their primary mission is to pick up downed pilots. They are well funded and yes their education is intense. But it seems you don’t understand what medevac is or what Dustoff stands for. These are the medics and flight crews who go in when no one else does UNARMED and many times by themselves. And the fact that majority of medevac Army wide is Guard (bet you did’nt know that). These are citizen soldiers doing the same thing if not more than the PJ’s while in country. I find this show glorifing ‘special’ operations. Since that is all America thinks is the only part of the military operating down range. So if NatGeo wants to do a ‘combat rescue’ show, do it on the guardsmen who leaves their family and full time job to go into harms way to save their wounded brothers and sisters.
    I am not talking negitively about what the PJ’s do, but what this show and that America needs to be educated about their entire military not just special operations. And next time you might want to watch yourself before you post something you obviously know nothing about.

30. jake morgansteinn-foley
    February 18, 2013, 6:35 pm

This has been my dream for years. I can’t wait to enlist once I’m out of high school… 4-5months left!!!!

31. jayvee
    usa
    February 18, 2013, 7:57 pm

PJs are trained in military free fall, combat dive, small teams tactics along with their medical training. It takes 2 years to become fully qualified. PJs ARE spec ops. Research Roberts ridge and you will learn that. The battle of Mogadishu had PJs on hand working extraction at the crash site.
    Combat medics are different. There are far more of them and they are more well known. I don’t think the documentary is trying to detract from the rest of the military medics world but they are trying to shed some light on a lesser known career field that are specially organized, trained and equipped to do whatever it takes to provide aid to wounded aircrew members in hostile or denied areas. Pararescue are Combat Search and Rescue. Combat medics are Combat Medics. Both are essential.

32. Kel
    February 18, 2013, 10:06 pm

I think to make Dustoff medic happy, they should make a “Inside Combat Medics” too.. Hell everybody needs a documentary.. Like the AF guy who sits and do admin work or the soldier who does logistics.. but who would watch it?..

33. scott mcduffie
    new orleans
    February 18, 2013, 11:08 pm

these doods are the real deal. i respect each and every soldier… from the pj’s to the fuel pumpers and everyone in between. my biggest regret in life is not joining the military when i was young.

once again…kudos to these boys.

34. S
    CA
    February 19, 2013, 1:36 am

Fantastic looking show. Great stories and wonderful access. Can you tell us more about what cameras the Filmmakers used? Probably GoPros on the helicopters and in helmet cams, just curious about the other cameras used to follow the action. Can you give us any info on which cameras were used? Thanks! Great work!!

35. 524
    Fl
    February 19, 2013, 4:01 am

Dust off. Relax. These guys don’t “take away” from anyone. Thanks for plucking troopers out, you’re doing your job where you’re sent. These guys do the same… I’ve seen it first hand since 2000. Having seen my share, i completely disdain the “how dare you” attitude from anyone. You never know who you’re talking to. Relax and get it done.

36. Chris
    USA
    February 19, 2013, 4:50 am

Does anyone know where can I catch the first episode? Unfortunately I missed it on tv because I had work. Thanks a bunch.

37. Colter
    February 19, 2013, 11:47 am

Can I get A list of their TAC gear? I play airsoft and watched the show. I want to go HAM and get some of the same style of items.

38. Keith
    Arkansas
    February 19, 2013, 11:50 am

Does anyone know what those sunglasses are that most of the PJ’s are wearing in the series???

39. SGT Ferreira
    rhode island
    February 19, 2013, 6:20 pm

I had the honor while servicing with a. Army special forces. Group and had the honor to meet other rescue teams from the af true hero’s and brothers we are all blessed as Americans and especially as veterans to have these guys all indetited to you guys thank you.

40. SGT Ferreira
    February 19, 2013, 6:22 pm

@ Keith most conventional forces wear Wiley x but all special forces wear ballistic oakleys which is what they are wearing if you would like email me and I.can get you all the info on them pfcFerreira@yahoo.com

41. SGT Ferreira
    February 19, 2013, 6:24 pm

@ colter I can get you all the national stock # if you want just email me won’t be cheap

42. Bernadette
    New York
    February 19, 2013, 9:17 pm

I LOVED the premiere!! Those men and women put their lives on the line for all of us everyday!! No matter what anyone on this forum thinks every soldier no matter what branch should be given the respect that he or she deserves. We ARE the land of the free because of THE BRAVE!!! Great documentary!!! And BTW Capt. Seth is not bad to look at either…..

43. 60Eng
    Vegas
    February 19, 2013, 10:59 pm

DustOff, that’s funny, I’ve never seen Army Medivac near a hot LZ or in in country either. You guys an girls must not exist.

See how dumb that sounds?

44. Jack
    USA
    February 19, 2013, 11:14 pm

@dustoff medic
    You have no idea what you’re talking about. Let me enlighten you to the difference between what you are and a PJ. First PJs are certified paramedics on the national registry not Army EMT-basic certified. They are a “force multiplier” meaning they can be seamlessly inserted into other branches special operations units to bring a unique specialty. They are trained to operate on land, sea and air independently and isolated. They are trained in static line jumping, HALO, combat dive and SERE. Just to get a shot at PJ school they must pass a rigorous stamina test most regular airman, soldiers, marine or seaman would not be able to meet. 2x 25 meter underwaters, 500 meter swim in 10:07, 1.5 mile run in 9:47, 10 pull ups, 54 situps and 52 pushups. That is just to get your foot in the door. They endure a grueling 2 year initial training that has a sustained 90% washout rate. What you do is an amazing thing. The same goes for the guys back at the base that take over where you leave off, but you are not a PJ’s equal. They are, what the Army wishes they could replace you with. The reason you’ve never run into one is because there are only a few hundred of them Air Force wide and they are very hard to find as candidates and very hard to train successfully. Know your role!

45. Jack
    February 19, 2013, 11:25 pm

@Keith.
    I’m pretty sure they’re the Wiley-X that you can snap out the lenses with clear ballistic, shades, or prescription.

46. Hugo Hernan Saenz Mora
    Bogota, Colombia, South America
    February 20, 2013, 12:04 am

Dear Nathional Geographic Channel.

My name is Hugo Hernan Saenz Mora, I would like to congratulate all the National Geographic Film team, for this incredible and outstanding job on the TV documentary, Combat Rescue! Good Job!. Also, I would like to thank all the USAF Rescue Teams, and the bravest men on earth, the USAF PJs! Good job gentlemen! Its a very tough and demanding job, you guys are doing in rescue and saving lives in Afghanistan!! Finally, I would like to know when NG, will present this outstanding documentary, in the National Geographic Latin American channel, in particular, when is going to be broadcast on Colombian television? I am very anxious to watch this important NG Special. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Hugo Hernan Saenz Mora
    Bogota, Colombia, South America.

47. Kyle
    USA
    February 20, 2013, 2:57 am

Does anyone know what the “undershirt” is that the new guy with the baby wears while they are just chilling at the base?
    I would like to have one if they aren’t military only issues
    Thanks!

48. Kyle
    February 20, 2013, 3:01 am

@Keith I know a lot of them wore M-Frame Oakley’s, with clear lenses. But I saw a couple of the others wearing a new brand. But I know most of the armed forces were strictly Oakley for a long time.

49. Shawn
    Fort Worth, TX
    February 20, 2013, 8:26 am

Yes, Pararescue is one of the two USAF Special Forces units, the other being Combat Controllers. I should know, I was one.

@jake morgansteinn-foley Good luck son. The training is tough so do what you can today to prepare yourself (swimming is essential) if you want to do this. Also, get used to heat if you don’t live in the South. San Antonio is HOT especially in the late summer.

50. Kel
    February 20, 2013, 1:38 pm

@Shawn

Special Forces is army green beret… Special operations are navy seals, cut, pj, swot, a very small unit of tacp’s, marsoc, sfod-d, rangers, and etc…( cant name them all)

51. JollyGreen
    February 20, 2013, 5:20 pm

@dustoff
    First off, no one is raining on anybody parade. Are you active or reserve? You might not see these guys often because there are only 500-600 in all components.
    Second, yes, we might seem special because of our 90+ day deployments, but we do them every year, why you might ask only 120-180 day deployments? Because we are trained paramedics, which we have to re certify every 2 years, on top of many other certs.
    Third, and you will understand this, if you are a dustoff medic. We are mainly tasked with casevac, which according to Geneva conventions, any medical transport with the David’s cross HAS to be unarmed. So, in essence, where you would go in with fire support , PJs go in to the heat of battle, armed as such with two gunships. Not saying you wouldn’t, but that is the main focus of a casevac mission, to get that casualty out and to advance treatment center, hence the term, golden hour.
    Forth, PJs and CCT, along with SWT belong to an special tactics squadron. Which means, they are special operations forces that often do nothing but train, prepare, and execute special operations missions, hence the fact that you might not see PJs that often, not only because theyre are 600+ PJS in the world, whereas they’re are 10,000 combat medics. Not to sound egotistical, but under JSOC mission scopes, they’re are deployed according to they’re needs.
    But not to degrade you or anything, just wanted to clear a few things up, and besides, we all do the same mission, and that is to bring the war fighter home. Whether you are or not a dustoff medic, I have personally known a few dustoff medics and if you never heard of Pjs, then maybe you are new to this.
    We all do the same thing here guy, why slander anybody?

52. TL
    VA
    February 20, 2013, 8:16 pm

Dustoff–

You are correct, sir, that PJ’s and Dustoff medics do the same job, as far as what’s depicted in National Geographic’s Inside Combat Rescue. The six weeks that they followed the team around, there were no missions that required any kind of extended stay operation, such as a scuba recovery, a mass casualty operation, a confined space or collapsed structure mission, or even a simple vehicle or aircraft extrication. Let’s not even get started on a jump mission! These are the calling card of Pararescuemen, along with integrating with their sister service special ops counterparts. You are correct, though, that Army Dustoff crews could possibly have performed 99% of the missions that you saw in the first episode. That is because they required only the most basic, mundane skills common to both of your career fields. Perhaps you can contact National Geographic to follow one of your teams around for a whole deployment, highlighting the great work that you and others like you do.

Oh, one more thing…I can assure you that if your Dustoff helicopter was brought down by Taliban small arms fire, you would finally see a PJ in theater, as it would be a PJ like my husband who would come to cut you out of the wreckage. They would stay on the ground with you, dismounted and detached from the helicopter, holding off enemy forces with close air support, personal weapons and small team tactics. Consider yourself lucky that you’ve never seen a PJ in country, Dustoff.

This is a show about a six week deployment of pararescuemen. Yes, the missions appear to be boring FOB-to-FOB transfers or even routine POI’s (at which point your own skills are maxxed out). They picked up the MEDEVAC mission that your people couldn’t handle with your own limited numbers and took a load off of your backs. Let them have their one, single moment in the spotlight.

God Bless our PJ’s and the United States of America!

53. engineer
    Ok
    February 20, 2013, 8:44 pm

Dustoff,
    I know this is a little late. Buy oif 1 pjs were responsible for saving friends of mine. Oh and what’s the theme songs

54. Dustoff medic
    February 20, 2013, 9:12 pm

I’m not here to slander anyone, flight medics are being trained as critical care transport certified paramedics, you may have heard of the course currently in place. I respect the training you guys go through physically but we are at least my unit are at the same level medically as pj’s most of our national guard flight medics hold RN and Paramedic titles. We are national guard and deploy ever 2 years but for a year at a time, having over 900 flight hours and over 400 of them being in a combat zone I am not new to this. I will leave it at that, but please know I’m not trying to dis anyone….. The show just struck a nerve

55. Crystal Foulk
    Florida
    February 21, 2013, 12:56 am

As prior military myself and my husband 3 times deployed we now build the Blackhawk helicopter featured in the show. It hits may heart that we build this machine that carries such great men and women. My son also servers, my little sister serves.

56. ABC's
    February 22, 2013, 1:13 am

Four points-
    1. 5 deployments x 12 months = 60 months deployed as a Army CBT MEDIC/EMT-P. 5 deployments x 4 months = 20 months deployed as a AF PJ. Sounds like DUSTOFF MEDIC surpassed that on his second deployment. Hats off to both, but I think he is right that this show paints a picture for the public that the Air Force owns the MEDEVAC mission. In the end both deserve the credit for what they performed and the public deserves the right to know the extent of sacrifice of each service.
    2. If there was a downed aircraft, I think the closest asset would respond. Might be AF pj, might not. Depends on the scenario.
    3. I am concerned about the publicity of these “Special Forces.” The entire special ops community I know tries to remain out of publicity. Makes me question how “special” PJs really are. Makes me think that the PJs were getting bored sitting, absorbed some of the MEDEVAC missions, because there wasn’t much OPTEMP for Combat Search and Rescue, and then decided they wanted to publicize what they were doing in order to protect their units from budget cuts (and perhaps educate the public). It does come off as hubris though. Especially when the one DET Leader in one of the episodes places the value of a special ops soldiers life over any other soldier. I’d like to think they all have value. I’m sure that wasn’t what was meant.
    4. I find the attacks disheartening as well. I think his intent was to ensure the “guy that deserved a Silver Star didn’t walk away with an ARCOM, while the guy that should get an ARCOM walks away with a Silver Star.” I think DUSTOFF Medics intent was give the awards, just make sure the right guys get the right one. Not sure if this documentary could do that in its scope, but you have to appreciate his sentiment.
    With all that said, proud of all of you for being part of the 1/2%.

57. Dan
    Boston
    February 22, 2013, 2:31 pm

When they get that call to go out you hear a clip of what sounds like a scene from a movie or something – it’s driving me crazy because I’ve heard it before – sounds like a guy yelling something – anyone? It’s in the TOC room – seems to come out of the speakers from one of the computers

58. D
    VA
    February 22, 2013, 7:01 pm

@Dan (Boston)–it’s “Leeroy Jenkins”. YouTube video a few years ago showed a clip from World of Warcraft, a team just outside a door in intense preparation for an upcoming “mission.” In the middle of the mission planning, some guy jumps the gun, says, “Thumbs up (or maybe “time’s up), lets do this. Leeroooooooy Jenkiiiiiiins!” Despite all the mission planning, he rushes in alone and unafraid to face the unknown threat. The rest of the team quickly rushes in behind him and, of course, completely overwhelmed by the enemy force, they all die. YouTube search for leeroy Jenkins. You’ll find it.

59. Josh
    February 23, 2013, 1:22 pm

@Dan, the voice says “Leeeeeeroy Jenkins”. It’s from the legendary video of a World of Warcraft guild member screwing up a battle for his guild. You can skip to 1 minute 20 seconds in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVZ50qAQrpc

60. kobi
    February 24, 2013, 3:28 pm

Thanks D and Josh for pointing out what is blaring over the loudspeakers when the call for help goes out.

61. AW
    San Antonio, Texas
    February 24, 2013, 8:58 pm

@EVERYONE… I am currently an active duty service member, and regardless of anyone else’s opinion, I am thankful to those who serve and those who have served before us… You are all my brothers and sisters in arms. This show is just another prime example of how we are all there for each other when there are those in need. Thank you Nat Geo for bringing this perspective to us all… God bless the USAF, USA, USN, USCG, and the USMC!!!

62. Keith
    Arkansas
    February 24, 2013, 10:16 pm

@SGT Ferreira @Kyle It took me a while but I finally tracked down what the glasses are that most of the guys were wearing. They are a brand named “Gatorz” they are SWEET!! check them out! They are also ballistic like you said Kyle.

63. Sharon
    Alabama
    February 25, 2013, 11:52 am

I am looking forward to watching this series very much..
    My sincerest THANK YOU to all of our active duty service members and Veterans.

64. Pops
    Fl.
    February 25, 2013, 3:35 pm

I find it hard to believe that any medic regardless of what branch, unless you are a “cherry” have not heard of the PJs. I do understand that they are only few and work in a small community. Even civilian medics know who the PJs are.
    I remember in the early 90s two faces in a jungle somewhere south of the Panama canal that picked me up when I got burnt from a cocktail. Never knew got a chance to say thanks or to at the least shake here hand. I do remember hay man were PJs were here to get you out. That was a long 72 hrs. Thanks guys, who ever you were. I now work as an , EMTP, TACMED, RMAP, CCEMTP. None the less I guess I was inspired. At 51 y/o only regret is that I’m not young enough the play with the big boys. Be safe! God bless.

65. Lauren
    February 25, 2013, 9:35 pm

What is this, a pissing competition? God, I feel like I’m at MEPS again. If you want to complain about your side of the service not getting the glory you think it deserves, take your complaint elsewhere. This is an amazing show and I have nothing but the upmost respect for what these men do.

66. AE
    San Diego
    February 25, 2013, 11:17 pm

Keith is on point. There are a few different eyewear brands being worn, but the most visible is GATORZ. check out http://www.gatorz.com/ they have a tactical edition.

67. tammy manning
    albany, new york
    February 25, 2013, 11:17 pm

guys, you are all fighting about who is better dust off or PJ’s when you are all American service men and all very important!!!
    it should not matter who’s picking up wounded service members as long as some one picks them up and gets them the best medical care that they can get. My husband is a Marine and went to Iraq in 2003 and I for one would not have cared who rescued him as long as some did. stop the fighting because this really makes you look bad!

68. Doc
    TEXAS
    February 26, 2013, 3:58 am

When an alert sounds over the intercom, what exactly is being said or spoken? It is hard to discern what is being said.

And, it seems like that call goes out initially, then again, when they scramble for launch. Is this correct?

69. HENRY POTTS - USAF E7 Retired
    Mililani, Hawaii
    February 26, 2013, 5:11 am

My first duty assignment from Tech School was with Det 1, 41ARRSq, Hamilton AFB, CA. It was there that I first met the PJs. It was during Vietnam 1967. I met and spoke with Dwayne Hackney; the most decorated PJ of that time; as well as many PJs decorated for keeping with their creed SO OTHERS MAY LIVE! PJ’s such as Hack and Walter White III have remained in my memories of a time when there were those who served with valor and distinction during a very trying time. They saved countless lives. The new PJ series and the PJs of today are a mirror image of the PJs that I knew in the 60s. God Bless Them and May They Never Loose site of what others before them did to save LIVES! MAHALO for serving so faithfully and for being the men that they are!

70. HENRY POTTS - USAF E7 Retired
    Mililani, Hawaii
    February 26, 2013, 5:16 am

I was assigned to Det 1, 41ARRSq, Hamilton AFB in 1967. It was there that I met the most decorated PJ; Dwayne Hackney, from Vietnam. As well as many more PJs such as Walter White III. They all believed in and lived by their creed “SO OTHERS MAY LIVE!”. They served in Vietnam while these young PJs in the series served in the middle east. God Bless all of them.

71. mapix
    pa
    February 26, 2013, 9:59 am

This shows only one group of heroes that are serving our country and tells an incredible story. As a photographer, the camera angles and the editing are second to none. NatGeo gets in the heart of every aspect, whether it’s a personal story of a rookie on his first tour or a seasoned veteran who’s just trying to get everyone home. You feel like you are right there!
    As for the men who serve, their sacrifice is beyond comprehension to anyone who’s never served. Their dedication to their job, family and country are worthy of the highest praise!
    Thanks to NatGeo for telling a story of small group of men who sacrifice so much to save lives.
    God Bless you All

72. D.O.A.
    No. Cal.
    February 26, 2013, 12:27 pm

Love the show, my son is an Airman and I hope he never meets you guys in country. Maybe at a Pub.

73. D.O.A.
    No. Cal.
    February 26, 2013, 12:38 pm

The one thing that struck me last night was how the new PJ medic “Barry” was immediately changed by his encounter with his 1st serious extraction. You could see the sobering change as soon as he had time to decompress. God Bless all you guys.

74. george
    N.W. Arkansas
    February 27, 2013, 8:01 pm

These men aren’t looking for glory, they just want everyone to come home. That’s the reason these men deserve respect.

75. janet
    Texas
    February 27, 2013, 9:18 pm

Air Force search and rescue is what my son does and after seeing the first 2 episodes I have never been as proud of him as I am now. Those young men are outstanding heros and every American should be proud.

76. Dan
    Boston
    February 28, 2013, 10:57 am

Thank you D and J for leeeroy jenkins lol – pissed my pants because I watched the clip 500 times when it first came out- and thank you to these heros on combat rescue!

77. Felipe
    Palmdale, CA
    February 28, 2013, 9:01 pm

I have read through all the comments and see that the theme song is Radioactive by Imagine Dragons. I would like to know if anyone knows what the other song is they are playing on the commercials it sounds like a woman humming very nice song but cant find who does it :( any help would be awesome!

78. 0326 SSGT MEF I
    San Diego
    March 1, 2013, 3:28 pm

Smh. I originally came across this thread while looking for the name of the sunglasses one of the guys wore, only to be seriously dissappointed with the chest-bumping display put on by a few on this thread (I will not name call). As a member of the SOF brotherhood and a 9 year veteran who had to be extracted due to shrapnel wounds to my thigh and abdomen, I can attest to the bravery and diligence of these young men known as PJ’s. I owe them my life and as such, I show them the respect they deserve. To those of you who might be confused as to the situation that we as a military find ourselves in overseas: we are NOT fighting a conventional war in ‘Ghanistan, hence the need to use SOF much more frequently than ever in the history of US military. Combat medics and MEDEVAC definitely serve a purpose in stabilizing and transporting wounded to safety. The crux of this being that they were (medics) historically trained to perform in an area that was behind friendly lines (wounded were dragged back under protected fire). The difference being that PJ’s are trained to go into hostile area that may only have a small contingent of friendly’s to pick up a CASEVAC under the premise that they make take heavy fire (part of the reason they attend specialty schools and training). If you pay close attention to where these kids are being flown to, there’s usually a few vehicles (SOF) in some remote area..and usually at the POI (very dangerous). Bottom line, they do a job and do it well. Why would anyone want to p*ss on a fellow service member is beyond my understanding. We all had a job to do, and most of us did it without so much as a pat on the back and “attaboy!” And that’s just fine for me because I loved what I did. If your panties got all twisted because YOU aren’t getting as much attention as these guys (who didn’t ask for it), then you enlisted for all the wrong reasons and I honestly feel sorry for you.

79. Dustoff
    USA
    March 2, 2013, 8:01 pm

I forget, was MAJ James Kelley (the father of air MEDEVAC), who said in a hot LZ in Southeast Asia “when I have your wounded” AF or ARMY? PJs are great, but the show gives the impression that the majority of medevac calls are done by PJs.

80. Upstate518
    March 2, 2013, 11:54 pm

To answer the question on what brands are the sunglasses, the ones that I noticed are Oakley and Gatorz.

81. Leroy Jenkins
    Digital World
    March 3, 2013, 4:53 pm

Here is an EXCELLENT mp3 of Leroy Jenkins.

I hope you all enjoy this, and perhaps utilize as a tribute to the men and the missions they respond to on Inside Combat Rescue.

82. MJ
    New Mexico
    March 4, 2013, 11:36 pm

@Debbie, how can I get a hold of Jeff??

83. Keith
    Chicago
    March 5, 2013, 11:54 am

What is the computer alert voice saying when the team gets a call out?

84. justin
    georgia
    March 5, 2013, 7:50 pm

I have a curious question. On the newest episode (march 4th) the airmen were called to rescue an afghani man but had to wait to pick him up because he was in a mine field and it had not been swept yet. In these situations why isn’t the helo equipped with a winch pulley system to airlift critical patients in a basket faster so they dont even have to land? The only reasonable answer I can come up is they would be sitting ducks for a RPG attack, but seems like in certain situations it would pay off. with that said, thank you to all the brave soldiers overseas for protecting our freedom and putting your lives at risk to save others!!!

85. Blake
    al
    March 5, 2013, 11:04 pm

Does anyone know what boots these guys are wearing? They look like a hiking boot. Any ideas?
    Thanks

86. John
    33rd Rescue Squadron Kadena AB Okinawa
    March 6, 2013, 9:00 am

Did NatGeo include the Pilots, and Special Missions Aviators in this series? How about the maintainers and support personnel that force this mission to happen even when the equipment and machines resist?

87. DLeshinski
    DC
    March 6, 2013, 7:40 pm

First much love to all of our servicemen & women! Does anyone know the sound that goes over the intercom before the “scramble, scramble, scramble,” call to the PJs?

88. JD
    March 6, 2013, 8:02 pm

How are they not violating any rules by showing this stuff. I mean christ they show the method of marking of a LZ. It doesn’t take very long for the enemy to pick up on this stuff, but it still opsec right and do the cameras really need to be in the TOC. Basic EMTs wouldn’t disclose anything other than facts. The one gentleman says he didn’t know how much morphine he gave to his casualty. Bravo to the guys all that high speed training paid off in front of the cameras. Hey if you didn’t want to be critique then don’t be on tv. I’m if someone could please enlightened me I’m not a lawyer, but something doesn’t seem right.
    By the way if you need need the Nat Geo Channel to show how badass you are, you probably sign up for the wrong reasons. This is a not game ladies and gentlemen.
    And yes buy all the gear these guys were wearing, it will totally make you a badass.

89. JD
    March 6, 2013, 8:21 pm

I’m sorry for my last comment..This shit make me heated
    PJ are the shit… have great training and are studs totally agreed

However seeing the integrity of a patient being compromise is disheartening. What if i film the ambulance ride of your brother and then find out he doesn’t make it. I know they blurred out the faces but someone might put two and two together and have to relive that moment.

90. T.Carlyle
    Nc
    March 7, 2013, 9:37 am

Where can I find the scramble alarm that is sounded when they first get a call

91. 0326 SSGT MEF I
    San Diego
    March 7, 2013, 2:46 pm

To Keith and Upstate, thanks for the info on the glasses. I checked them out online and they look alright, but I’ve been wearing Oakley’s for almost twenty years and pretty hard to beat. To JD in regards to your questioning of allowable disclosure: the films you see have been thoroughly reviewed by members of the defense dept as well as managing agencies for obvious reasons. Nothing goes to TV without careful confirmation and approval process by the powers that be. As TL mentioned in comments above as she so eloquently placed dust off in his place (well put btw), the majority of missions I have seen so far on this documentary are not up to the par of what PJ’s really do. In those situations, I would strongly doubt that footage WOULD make it to TV for reasons of actionable intelligence. We all have to remember that the AF Pararescue’s main purpose is NOT to transfer wounded FOB to FOB. It’s primary role is Search/Rescue and extraction of downed pilots/air crew. They are SF trained to handle enumerous situations, most of which filming of would never be allowed. As for the comment you made about the “unknown amount of morphine given to his patient”: news flash kiddo, the PJ relayed the information he was GIVEN by the ARMY medic. He never gave morphine to the wounded soldier, the Army medic did. As a healthcare professional I can tell you, we DO NOT REPORT WHAT WE DID NOT DO. We do however have a responsibility to detail every action we have taken, as well as pass on as much intel we can in regards to treatment before they came to us. While I applaud questioning, please pay close attention to details and educate yourself before becoming so adamant in your criticisms.

92. 0326 SSGT MEF I
    San Diego
    March 7, 2013, 3:03 pm

Oh, and for the record, in regards to the filming of wounded compromising the integrity of the patient: having been rescued by PJ’s after a pretty bad injury, I barely remember the faces but I do remember that when I saw the PJ patch on the chest I KNEW I was in good hands. Lemme guess JD, you’re a civilian paramedic/EMT? If so, kudos and thank you for the job you do. You DO make a difference here CONUS. The big difference is here, you have a responsibility to protect the privacy of your patient known as HIPPA. On the flipside: when you enlist into the military, you sign a contract stating that you are now PROPERTY OF THE US GOVERNMENT. News flash: the government gets to say who sees what, not NatGeo, and not the producers. If you want to be angry or peeved at anyone, write your senator or state representative.

93. JT
    CT, USA
    March 8, 2013, 12:44 pm

Can someone tell me what the computer dispatch says when a call comes in? It sounds like ????????…MEDIC!!!

94. JR
    Tx
    March 8, 2013, 9:17 pm

Yes, what in the world does their computer say when they get a cal????

95. gordon shaw
    oregon, USA
    March 12, 2013, 12:18 am

I just now watched my first “inside combat rescue”Wow “what a bunch of bunch of super heroes.The episode I watched had a 12 year old who had been shot through the head. You guys are amazing!!!! Thank you. And may God be be with each and every one of you!

96. AC
    Santa Clara Pueblo, NM
    March 12, 2013, 9:27 am

Question…..when the PJ’s are in flight are they tied/belted so they don’t fall out of the helicopter?

97. Broncofan
    CONUS
    March 12, 2013, 5:01 pm

It is a climber’s leash attached to a yates harness. For you civilian Paramedics and 68Ws in DUSTOFF that think you can do what a PJ does or you feel it is taking away from your glory, I would say that statistics show that you would more than likely washout of the pipeline, before you even made it to Paramedic school, but if you think you could hack it, go for it.
    It is sad when a 68W in DUSTOFF is jealous of the publicity that an AF PJ gets, when most of them would give their life to come rescue you. Most people in SOF, do not care about the glory, only about their team members making it home safe, maybe that is why you are not one of them?

98. chad
    ohio
    March 12, 2013, 6:35 pm

what is the call when they scramble? I can’t make it out..

99. Peter healy
    Michigan
    March 12, 2013, 9:30 pm

What does PJ stand for

100. Operator
    USA
    March 13, 2013, 3:39 pm

First of all, thanks to everyone in the medical MOS’s that do this work REGARDLESS of the branch. I owe you my life and the lives of those that served with me.

Second, can somene who actually KNOWS (@Debbie) the specific make and model of the helmet cams please post that info? I’m looking for something for my SAR helmet and hate the pop-up pericope way that the GoPro’s mount. Thanks!

101. Wendy
    Ohio
    March 13, 2013, 10:36 pm

Excellent series! Every one of those guys is a hero! God bless all of you and keep you safe.

102. Rhys
    March 14, 2013, 6:04 am

PJ stands for pararescue jumper and CRO is combat rescue officer…….do the pilots count as PJs also?

103. 1978FORDBRONCO
    pittsburgh
    March 15, 2013, 8:38 pm

all the respect in the world to those that serve

in regaurds to the question about that opening song for the show…..i have been searching the internet for weeks now ITS NOT THE IMAGINE DRAGONS SONG ITS THE –THE WOMAN HYMNAL HUMMIN CHANT KIND OF SONG ITS AWESOME AND I NEED IT BADLY…….ANYONE WHO HAS SOME INFO ON THIS SONG OR WHAT STYLE OF MUSIC IT IS PLEASE LET ME KNOW…THANK GOD BLESS

104. andy1003
    Pennsylvania
    March 18, 2013, 10:06 pm

I love this show! I just don’t fully understand what skills and medications (protocols) these guys are allowed to perform/give. I’ve seen a cric; but no other means of airway management (intubation). I understand some of the procedures would be difficult on a helicopter with not much room. But wouldn’t it be more beneficial to be able to manage a difficult airway and be able to give more drugs intravenously. Just curious; what’s their protocols?

105. THolland
    Tennessee
    March 19, 2013, 3:19 am

0326 SSGT MEF I – I agree with everything you said. It’s nice to see someone with intelligence, not to mention first hand experience, speaking on this. BTW, Thank You for your sacrifice and services to our country. I am filled with pride for my country and ALL who serve and HAVE served when I watch this show. As a civialian, I am not thinking, Oh, these guys are better than those guys because they are from this particular branch of service, I am overwhelmed at the detication that ALL of our servicemen and servicewomen have for the jobs they do by putting their lives at risk so that I may have the freedoms I have. Everytime I see someone in uniform or wearing a Veteran’s emblem of anykind, I walk up to them and shake their hand and thank them for their service and their sacrifice. I don’t look for a certain branch of the military from their arm to see if I’m giving the right credit to the right person. My father served in the Vietnam War and had many close calls and if God forbid he would have ever been seriously injured, all that I would hope is that he would have been helped by any of his fellow brothers, no matter what branch he or she specialized in. Any and all war is awful, do you really have to fight like dogs over a bone over who gets the credit for getting the bone back the fastest or the best to its master? Thank You ALL for any and every job you do to help get our men and women back home safely. That’s what I care about.

106. FUSMC0311
    Hampstead, NC
    March 19, 2013, 9:23 pm

What is the computer saying when a mission drops in the TOC???

107. Paul bredemier
    March 20, 2013, 8:32 pm

Thank you for serving, I would like to join also when I grow up

108. USAF JTAC
    California
    March 21, 2013, 4:02 am

These guys get a show? I would trust an ODA “D” rather than a PJ and I was a USAF JTAC. These guys talk like war is affecting them by seeing what they see. How about us on the team whose friends are actually dying? I know a JTAC show would never happen because of what we actually did over there. We were sent to kill, doesn’t make for a good series. Thanks for what you do but in all my six deployments to Afghanistan I never saw a PJ come to our aid. Good publicity though, have to hand it to you. Who are the real Battle Field Airmen? ST JTACs and TACPs! Thanks for what you do. I just hate the media hype and the falseness of television. By the way I’m a veteran of 6 deployments to Afghanistan and 2 to OIF as a JTAC.

109. USAF JTAC
    California
    March 21, 2013, 4:10 am

Not trying to be a hater in my previous post. They are doing their job and I would not turn down the help if needed. I just think there are a lot of quiet professionals out there that don’t get a show on television. I don’t care about it, I know what I did and really don’t care to share what I’ve done, ever!. It just kills me because there are a lot of SF personnel doing their job without any expectations of media attention or recognition. Once again thanks for what you do. i just wish the media would portray reality and not shows for ratings.

110. Greenfeet 83
    AZ
    March 22, 2013, 9:24 pm

As a PJ, I worked closely with CCT’s. I decided to be a PJ simply because I wanted to do something that made a difference. My father was KIA in Vietnam. I wanted to do everything I could to make sure that didn’t happen to other kids. It’s a tough job, mentally and physically. I loved every minute of it. It’s been 30 years but I still think the team I was with was the best group of men I’ve ever been blessed to work with! HOO-YAH

111. Buck
    Neenach,CA
    March 23, 2013, 1:57 pm

What is the alert saying when it goes off? We are all wondering.

Thanks
    Buck

112. Greenfeet 83
    AZ
    March 25, 2013, 7:47 pm

It’s “Leeroy Jenkins” from a video game.

113. lemonhead
    Mississippi
    March 25, 2013, 8:30 pm

I jus wanna tell u all how proud u make us back home! My prayers are with yall and ur families!

114. Paco
    March 26, 2013, 12:29 am

For all curious, the helmet cams look to be Countour HD’s.

115. Konar44
    Afghanistan
    March 26, 2013, 8:16 pm
  116. otterman
    california
    March 26, 2013, 8:33 pm

I’m a 73 year old veteran who looks at this program sometimes through teary eyes.
    I see all fighting men and woman as heroes, why do some of you feel the need to bash these brave men and woman.
    We, stateside, should hold back our negative thoughts about this show and the people in it.
    Praise the moral [fortitude] that these warriors have, and rest in freedom tonight because all of the Keepers of our Peace have given this to us.

117. Brittney
    March 27, 2013, 1:00 am

What is said over the intercom when they get a rescue call?

118. Plug32
    Columbus,Ohio
    March 27, 2013, 7:37 pm

OMG Britt!! I was just thinkin the same thing?? Viva something or other

119. millie
    March 29, 2013, 4:08 am

The alert is saying leeroy jenkins. here is a link

120. Greenfeet 83
    March 30, 2013, 8:44 am

Read the previous comments. It’s repeated a few times…..it’s from a video game. It says ” LeeRoy Jenkins” you’ll have to look it up to understand why they use it.

121. RC
    Nebraska
    March 30, 2013, 5:59 pm

This has nothing to do with the show but I wanted to take the opportunity to thank everyone involved in the military, has a friend or loved one serving or has served and especially those whose friend or loved one has made the ultimate sacrifice.

My thanks to all of you. My Father served but I did not. I understand some of what the families go through. I can not know what it is like for you in today’s Military.

I thank everyone involved in keeping us safe and supporting those that are protecting us. Your service is much appreciated and does not go unnoticed. Thank you for your service and please be safe.

122. David Friedel
    Colorado
    March 31, 2013, 9:53 pm

Dustoff is the name of a very successful Helo pilot (Kelly Dustoff) in Vietnam, He had more HOT medivacs then any other pilots during the Vietnam war. Respect the name and stop comparing the air medic community, as they are all brothers and saving lives is their mission. This is petty, and stupid. I myself have served in the fire service for 31 years and respect the hell out of all air medevac personnel, some are really good friends.

123. Jason
    Pa
    April 1, 2013, 11:31 pm

What is the sound played when a mission comes in?

124. JA
    April 4, 2013, 3:37 pm

Anyone know where this can be watched online for free? Dont get the nat geo channel unfortunately

125. AvNav 67thARRS
    Cincinnati, OH
    April 12, 2013, 2:41 pm

I have been waiting for 30 years for SOMEBODY to do a doc/show besides INDOC on the PJs. These quiet professionals are my heroes. I have seen them in action and feel they never get the credit they deserve. Yes, I realize that “quiet professionals” means they are not out for publicity or egos, and do their work/sacrifice for their brothers and sisters. THAT and their code “These things we do, so That Others May LIve are the main reason why they are my heroes.

126. Current AFG DUSTOFF Paramedic
    Afghanistan
    April 21, 2013, 12:22 pm

This is an awesome show that highlights some of the great work that the PJs did on this deployment and continue to do on a daily basis. I am currently serving in Afghanistan as a DUSTOFF Medic, and yes Paramedic and some additional letters. I am proud of what our AF brothers are able to do and happy that they were given the spotlight this time.
    Some of the prior comments expressed by others have to be new into the Emergency Medical field, as they seem to lack understanding of the different skillsets involved between these groups. I do believe that that is based on the fact that the TV show did not show the true life mission of what a PJ is trained to do. That’s a good thing because a true mission would have meant a US aircraft down in need of their assistance.
    As a current DUSTOFF medic I will continue to do my work as needed, and hope only to meet the PJs in passing at a receiving facility. Thank You for what you do.

127. Chris
    SC
    May 3, 2013, 3:05 pm

Love the show and I wanted to share something with these guys for their information.

The Abdominal Aortic Tourniquet – AAT™

The Abdominal Aortic Tourniquet is the first device to provide stable and complete occlusion of flow of blood to the lower extremities. It has 510(k) approval from the FDA for difficult to control inguinal hemorrhage. It is applied to the mid-abdomen, tightened and inflated and may remain on for up to an hour safely.

Available Now in the US and EU

NSN: 6515-01-616-4999

128. Catherine Bennett
    New York
    May 6, 2013, 8:06 am

I watched a marathon of episodes yesterday. I thought it was an excellent insight into the goings on of combat rescue. You learned about their personal lives and their private thoughts. I have the utmost respect for all of them. God Bless and be safe!!!

129. NHSEO Scam
    May 19, 2013, 7:03 am

It’s a fantastic plus valuable little bit of facts. I’m just delighted that you just distributed this useful information and facts about. Remember to stop us up to date such as this. Appreciation for discussing.

130. Brynna
    May 23, 2013, 7:40 am

A heartfelt thank you to ALL who have served from the daughter of a Master Chief. I spent my life watching each of you fly off into battle & praying for you to return. From Vietnam through to this day. My family has known no other way of life. Their blood was not spilled so you could fight over this petty bs. Pls. show respect & honor your fallen comrades; those who also have died & their families & to those others who would read this to see what we are really made of. We are not our own enemies.

This is for all those we have lost. In loving memory & tribute:

131. Solemn Vows
    July 22, 2013, 10:09 pm

I would give anything to be lucky enough to have our music on this show… We (Solemn Vows) write ambient yet intense little numbers that we would literally donate our organs to donate a song to this show…I wonder how you go about doing that. Anyone know how to go about donating something to a show?

132. Solemn Vows
    July 22, 2013, 10:13 pm

we even wrote “The Chase” for this show. We watched an episode and literally wrote this huge song for it. We just put it up on Youtube i think…we haven’t told many people about it, but i think “The Chase” would be the song that would be perfect for this show. Man, i wish i knew how to be one of those guys who gets to choose the music for these shows

133. yopie
    indonesia
    August 8, 2013, 10:31 am

im in indonesia people
    I LOVE AMERICA

134. Stoop
    UK
    December 31, 2013, 10:39 am

As an ex rifleman from 1 RGJ these boys are the dogs. True Heroes

135. Mike
    Washington, D.C.
    April 17, 1:17 pm

Ok…I finally found out what the scramble call is…It is a guy yelling “LEEROY JENKINS!” Believe it or not, it is some guy who plays World of Warcraft and it can be found on Youtube. It’s pretty funny.