Owning a wild animal is no small task.  Full-grown tigers, lions and monkeys are powerful, unpredictable, and extremely dangerous. They need a lot of food, a lot of space, and a lot of attention in order to live comfortably and safely in captivity. It takes more than a love of animals to make a good owner. And when owners are unwilling or incapable of acting in the best interest of their animals, it takes an Animal Intervention.

Enter animal advocate Alison Eastwood and animal expert Donald Schultz, who confront overwhelmed and out-of-touch wildlife owners who house exotic animals in confined and potentially hazardous environments. Some of the owners breed their animals, further crowding their facilities and increasing the overall population of exotics living in captivity. Alison and Donald approach owners at private ranches, roadside zoos and even magic shows to assess the conditions in which they keep their animals. Emotions run high when Alison and Donald recommend changes, sometimes as drastic as relocating full-grown wild animals to safe and clean animal sanctuaries.  Their work is chronicled in the new series Animal Intervention, premiering Tuesday, October 2, at 9:00 p.m. on Nat Geo WILD.

Alison and Donald receive tips from concerned organizations and individuals about potentially problematic animal enclosures, and set out to investigate. They catch up with a Louisiana couple harboring four capuchin monkeys in their RV. The monkeys live in cramped cages and take turns sleeping with the couple in bed at night. The duo then tours a makeshift zoo in upstate New York run by an owner who is physically and financially strained, battling multiple health problems. His family must consider the heart-breaking decision to find sanctuaries for the bobcats, macaques and mountain lion they have loved liked family. The team also visits central Ohio and meets an animal lover who created a rescue for unwanted big cats in her home, only to struggle both financially and emotionally to keep up with the massive responsibility. She and her husband continue building cages both inside and outside of their home to take in new animals, while at the same time pawning all of their valuables in a desperate attempt to keep the cats fed and cared for.

Donald is a wildlife expert, extreme adventurer, writer and photographer. He started working with reptiles at the age of 13, and his fascination with snakes became the bedrock of his career. He hosted the cable programs Wild Recon and Venom in Vegas, co-authored a number of scientific articles and has spoken at the International Herpetological Symposium.

Alison, daughter of Clint Eastwood, is not only an American film director and Hollywood actress, but also a true animal advocate, having worked with Marine Animal Rescue and other organizations. She made her directorial debut with Rails & Ties; her other acting credits include Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, I’ll Be Seeing You, and Once Fallen.

“This is a series that is near and dear to my heart,” says Eastwood. “I have amassed television and film credits, but helping animals and finding them loving homes is my passion. I have wanted to create a show about rescuing animals and bringing attention and awareness to their plight for some time.”

Donald adds, “I joined the series to not only raise awareness to the plight of animals in captivity but also the owners.  Having owned and worked with exotic and dangerous animals, I wanted to explore these relationships and try and help all parties involved.  While only bad incidents get press, there are thousands of responsible exotic owners out there, and I wanted to try and weigh in on this hot button topic with my expertise.”

Sometimes Alison and Donald successfully persuade owners to relinquish their animals, and at that point a sanctuary is called in. Tearfully, owners make the difficult decision to say goodbye to their animals and watch as they are loaded up and taken to a better home. In other cases, however, the owner’s refuse changes outright, and Donald and Alison have no choice but to leave empty-handed.  If they think they have another solution to help the animal, they attempt to return at a later date with a plan in place.

Be sure to tune in to the series premiere of Animal Intervention: RV Monkeys tomorrow at 9P on Nat Geo WILD.

Comments

1. Gina
    USA
    October 3, 2012, 1:01 am

Great show. Animals desperately need protection from these situations. Kirby is an idiot, those poor cats stuck in his hell.
    The RV freaks with the monkeys, disgusting.

2. sheryl
    Utah
    October 3, 2012, 8:56 am

I totally agree with Gina. This show is NEEDED on television. Time to put this issue in the limelight and protect these animals with some legislation.

3. Bryn
    California
    October 6, 2012, 12:34 pm

Hi, I’m wondering if there is a way to suggest a subject for an episode? I know someone in the San Diego area who is a chronic Horse Hoarder. She breeds for racing but neglects to care for her horses properly. It’s a very sad situation. Mares are emaciated even after giving birth. A friend who lives nearby brought hay for them and one has coliced because she hasn’t had food in so long. She needs a wake-up call and I feel it would make for an awesome show.
    Thanks,
    Bryn

4. Christine
    Virginia
    October 9, 2012, 1:40 pm

I have to say I am looking forward to tonight’s new episode. The show last week wasn’t quite what I was expecting, but I find it interesting. My only question is how in the world do they find these people? I get how they found Kirby since he’s a professional, but are friends/family members trying to get help or are the show producers just researching these random people? I can’t wait to see how they persuade someone to actually do the right thing!

5. Jbro
    Nc
    October 9, 2012, 9:55 pm

I think we are legislated enough. But ur right. That Kirby guy is a regular freak show!

6. Linda bryant
    Maryland
    October 10, 2012, 10:58 am

I just saw the “Mama’s Boys” episode last night. I wonder where David and Angela got the horses to slaughter for their cats’ food. They wouldn’t be roadkill, and I don’t think a horse owner would hand over his/her deceased horse.I saw a tag on one of them, which leads me to believe he bought them at an auction. If so, that’s unconscionable, as well as probably illegal.

7. Danika
    Alexandria, VA
    October 10, 2012, 12:42 pm

Love the show but had to come online to find Alison’s credentials. Credentials were not given on the show and I was wondering about them when she was so freaked out at the 3 horse carcasses. What does she expect tigers to eat? I can see questioning the health of the animal before death or if chemicals were used to kill it but large hooved animals are what big cats eat. The butchering area look clean and organized to me. Didn’t see the problem with the feed prep area.

8. Heather
    Australia
    October 11, 2012, 5:46 pm

Only in America will these kind of selfish egotistical uncaring ignorant people be. They obviously have no thought of these animals just themselves. There must be legislation that does not allow this to continue. Are these beautiful creatures destroyed when they are too big or react and attack owners? Probably. In these cases, if you confine a wild animal expect to get what you deserve.

9. Kveta Fauna
    Prague,Czech Republic
    October 11, 2012, 11:44 pm

It´s a great show,you´re filming it beautiful people it needs courage.Thanks Love Kveta.:)

10. Danika
    Alexandria, VA
    October 12, 2012, 7:00 am

Linda,
    I’m a horse owner. When a horse dies it is usually hauled away for dog food. Traditionally the local fox hunt (the whole circle of life thing). Because horses are so large you only bury the head, heart and hooves.

11. Linda
    October 12, 2012, 4:04 pm

Danika,
    I’m a horse person also. I’m just concerned that they bought the horses live for the purpose of slaughtering them for food for the cats. It’s one thing if the horses where already dead (which they could have been), but I did see a tag on one of the horses, and that usually means the horses were bought at an auction alive and then slaughtered when they were brought to David and Angela’s property. I love horses, and I don’t want them slaughtered for any reason. I understand that horses die or have to be put down and that it’s understandable to put their bodies to good use. However, slaughtering of pets (horses) is wrong, in my opinion. Hopefully, the producers will let us know where those people got the horses. Needless to say, those people shouldn’t have wild animals anyway.

12. Nine
    Columbus, Ohio
    October 13, 2012, 4:25 pm

I support what you guys are doing. Hopefully, you guys can make a difference. After the debacle in Zanesville, I am sickened by these people who think they can provide a good life for these beautiful animals that should be free in the first place. I hope to God that you guys are successful in making people aware of what’s going on and rescuing these unfortunate creatures.

13. Tracy Stokes
    Dallas, Texas
    October 17, 2012, 9:25 am

OMG these people are Crazy with a Capital “C”! What is wrong with these people? They have definately lost their minds!

14. Sean
    Colorado
    October 17, 2012, 9:47 am

Disappointing, there is a need for this type of show but it’s obvious that Allison has no idea what she is talking about and no credentials what so ever. The have no authority and do not have any contacts for even placing the animals, so far only 1 person agreed to give any up. There are more credible people out there that actually know what they are doing and do this on a regular basis.

15. Darrell
    Canada
    October 23, 2012, 9:12 pm

The irony of this show being on Nat Geo Wild which also has My Life’ s a Zoo is pretty thick. This show need to visit the other show in a big way. I watched half of one episode of MLAZ and when I saw the chick hugging the hyena I tuned out for good and started looking for outraged real animal lovers on line. Only found one article: Turn Off “My Life Is a Zoo” The National Humane Education Society.

16. P
    Los Angeles
    October 24, 2012, 12:23 am

The show tonight was absolutely tragic. The owner of the tigers in the Nevada desert was crazy and throughout the show it was all about him and his satisfaction and nothing about the welfare of the big cats. What a thoughtless piece of sh*t! He and his timid wife should be arrested. I feel so sorry for those beautiful and endangered wild animals.

17. Michelle
    Florida
    October 24, 2012, 10:57 am

I work with big cats and other exotics. At no time EVER do I forget they are still wild animals. Even as bottle fed tiny baby tiger cubs grow up with natural instincts that is normal. What I am seeing on this show are people who have a very distorted view of reality. “He will never hurt me because he thinks I’m his mamma”. That’s when you will get hurt. Allowing people not experienced and train to be close to these animals it an absolute danger. And as for Kirby the magician. He is mentally out to lunch. Those animals never getting to be outdoors every day. All his cats show major stress behavior, (trying to attack and snarling at everybody, not good!.) they are not relaxed at all like ones I care for every day. Most facilities like the show said, the rescuers become the same as what they are rescuing animals from.
    I’m not against people having exotic animals. But do it legally and in the right frame of mind. Nobody is “One with the animal”. Those that have issues with USDA is because they don’t comply to the laws that are for a reason of PUBLIC SAFETY. Not because they feel like picking on somebody. Ok, I’m done… Lol

18. Jax
    Philly
    October 24, 2012, 12:06 pm

I like the show, seeing the animals and different set ups. That being said, I can’t stand Allison’s attitude, or even the expression on the other guys face sometimes. Seems all they want to do is take peoples pets away. Unless these people are asking for help, it is nobodies business. Then again, they agree to go on the show.
    I like the guy in in Nevada. Very cool to see him go into the cages with the tigers. Thank God he lives in a safe situation where no one can touch him or his cats!
    I feel bad for the people with the monkeys. They have a great set up for them in LA which they obviously spent a fortune on. It’s a shame they live in a police state where they have to fear the gov’t taking their monkeys. The state of LA forced them to live in the tough trailer conditions with their pets. That monkey house set up was way cool and perfect for all of them :)
    Allison is ready to just take ALL the animals before she even sees the whole set up, and she certainly isn’t qualified to make that call. She comes off as very stupid, annoying, and obnoxious.
    Could be real deal breaker for watching the show.

19. Funatgeo
    usa
    October 24, 2012, 2:45 pm

Is this show a joke? They remove a bear then it is killed what, less than 1 year later. Nice…nat geo. To be honest this show makes me sick. They have managed to twist and turn it around and make everyone look horrible. If they truly wanted to “help” why not donate money or help the people get their places in order.

Alison needs to stop using the Eastwood name to serve her own agenda. Poor Clint, how ashamed he must be of her. Anyone who has to take their clothes half off to get attention is pathetic and NOT RESPECTABLE.

20. Jack
    October 25, 2012, 8:34 pm

the whole premise of the show is a joke. i can’t stand the attitude of this Allison. If the people don’t need of ask for help, they have no right going into their home and asking them to give up animals.
    of course the people agree to be on the show.

21. Gina
    October 26, 2012, 2:26 am

These sanctuaries the show constanly references?? The place bob cats went, it was a fancier hell with a LITTLE more of a budget.
    They should have relationships with sanctuaries that are sanctuaries. The show is as bad as subjects- its like watching someone get mugged & telling people how bad it is.

22. Jax
    October 26, 2012, 3:36 pm

I agree with Gina about the Bobcats (they were gorgeous!).
    From on hell to the next.
    The pepole on this show just want to TAKE animals. it seems to be the premise of the show.
    It doesn’t necessarily mean they are taking them to a better situation.
    Cats don’t like change. I like the guy in Nevada who defended the poor cats being put to sleep and then waking up in a place that is not better, but unknown.
    I know when i re-home an adult cat, it takes them a full year to honestly get get re-acclimated.
    anther good case was the Bear taken in the last episode from a place where he was loved, yet lonely. Boy, they made a huge point of showing you this wonderful place where they took him with so much better conditions! Like the thunderstorm that killed him a few months later!
    Did anyone else read that at the end..that the Bear died by being stuck by lightning in the new great home they found him?

23. Susan
    Bosto
    October 26, 2012, 7:16 pm

I just wAtched the show during which Shadow the bear was moved to Noah’s ark. I noticed that he died in a different state. Does anyone knOw why?

24. Susan
    Essington pa
    October 30, 2012, 7:26 pm

I find the show very difficult to watch because of the horrible conditions the animals are forced to live in. What kind of life quality do they have?! …NONE! I can only pray this show will open up the right government eyes and they will put a stop to this kind of animal hoarding and abuse! They are sick, sick people…they don’t care about the animals well being, and should NOT be allowed to keep them! They should take these animals away and send them ALL to accredited sanctuaries!!!!!

25. Justme1961
    October 31, 2012, 1:18 am

I watched this show for the first time tonight and I thought it was a good idea to help animals and exotic animals that were being neglected or kept in small enclosures – and it would be a good thing to get the owners to relinquish them to a sanctuary. But I was in tears after watching Shadow the Bear. He was lonely, but they took him from the only place he had ever known, put him in Noah’s Ark Sanctuary, when he heard Lillian’s voice on the phone (owner they took him from) he turned and looked for her. Then he was killed by lightening a few months later!? That was horrible. How can Lillian forgive herself when she entrusted the Sanctuary? How could that Sanctuary not have proper enclosures for the Bears so this wouldn’t happen. Horrible story. Poor Shadow. They should have just left him alone or found him a secure, proper, SAFE Sanctuary.

26. All Creatures great and Small
    November 1, 2012, 3:49 pm

People need to realize that the bear’s passing was an accident of nature and not the sanctuary’s fault, people are not reasonable sometimes. He had a lot more room at the new place and other bear friends which is important for bears. As for tips about people with wild animal zoos that are mistreating their animals where do we summit those confidentially? I have one in Wisconsin to report, and it’s not big cats so it would be a different show to see! Please someone respond to this so I know where to write to, these animals need some help, thanks!

27. Len
    November 3, 2012, 1:43 pm

Finally, there is something on TV worth watching and people are complaining. Alison could be doing anyting else, and here she is putting her heart and soul into saving animals. If you cannot tell the difference between somebody trying to change the world and an actress, there is no help for you. Is this where the world has gone. God help us all!

28. Madeleine Colon
    New York
    November 6, 2012, 2:52 pm

Clearly these people believe they have an unbreakable bond with exotic cats and primates. However, like all animal rescuers/hoarders, the space for these animals to exercise is always too small, animals are denied necessary socialization, animals are treated like humans, are clearly frustrated and neurotic. I don’t understand why states takes no action to mandate removal of these animals to better living spaces. It is noble to care for animals only if one acknowledeges that these animals are not ones “babies.” It is completely unreasonable and selfish to believe that no one else has the skills to care for these animals when help is offered. I applaud people who make the right decision to remove some of the animals but this decision often comes many years too late and only after the owners face illness or funding problems.

29. Jennifer
    USA
    November 6, 2012, 10:01 pm

I agree with regulating the ownership of these animals, but have people thought what all the strict legislation like Ohio’s new law will do to these beautiful animals? Some will never see daylight again, some will be confiscated due to know having enough land even if the animal has spent most it’s life on the property with enclosures big enough for the animal. have they thought of what their life will be like if confiscation takes place and the state houses these animals? small enclosures, pacing animals and then that animal will go crazy with grief and pure hell from not being where it has known life to be. these hosts are so quick to “save/rescue” the animal but really don’t know what is best for them at all. The episode where the bear was given a “better” but accidentally got struck by lightening???really, come on people that’s a crazy story… what really happened to that poor bear the nice lady raised from just a cub?? and they find these people for this show by looking at states under fire where people are forced to register and permit these animals and that becomes public knowledge.

30. Lindsey
    Australia
    November 6, 2012, 10:32 pm

I’m in two minds about this show. There is no doubt that something needs to be done about anyone being allowed to keep wild animals as pets in the US. Changing legislation firstly needs to be addressed urgently by all American citizens. Alison has a voice of privilege and needs to make that a priority so the government makes it illegal for freaks and we’ll meaning people to keep these animals in terrible conditions.
    Secondly, in being the face of a show about ending the suffering or improving the conditions of these wild animals, Alison needs to put her money where her mouth is! I would never ever dream of offering help to these people and then just walking away. If I had access to her funds I know I could do a lot more. What is the point of this show, to see suffering and let it continue or the end suffering?! Animal Intervention needs to really start doing some good and urging government to change legislation and give funds to sanctuaries that actually work.

31. jkessler@austin.rr.com
    Texas
    November 8, 2012, 5:07 pm

Very disappointed with the show. All the “interventions” were rushed and abusive to the animals. All that needed to be done was to take a little time and condition the animals to a transport box and a lot of stress could have been avoided. The show guilty of cruelty , it wants stressful situations because it makes for good TV.

Just this past year a white rhino died after being sedated.

If these guys understood wild animals they would know their very presence cause stress the animals and if the cared they would have less stressful captures.

Also, the little statistical events of human deaths caused by the big cats doesn’t even come close to those killed by bee stings.

Bees kill 53 people a year

Deer are responsible for 130 deaths a year

Dogs 31 deaths a year.

National Geographic should stop pushing PETA agenda.

Live and let live.

32. alexis
    the declawed bear 1st episode roadside zoo
    November 9, 2012, 5:44 am

have you managed to rescue that bear.your show highlighted on first episode?. You brought to my awareness there are more rare species in captivity in the USA then any where else in the world.In Australia we have strict rules per rare animals. I hope you guys are going to the congress to find these animal safe passage. I know there are a lot of wars going on but when i see shows like your s i wish that we could feel the same as fellow man. Animals are an answer to bringing us back to’… why are we doing this to humans ‘ Its an anomoly that we feel so much for animal and yet we disregard human life shot down by drones or victims of terrorism be they or not terrorists.’ Kudos’ to your series . .

33. Elizabeth
    USA
    November 13, 2012, 9:09 pm

Legislation needs to be tougher to prevent any of these animals from being kept in captivity by any private individual. ‘Live and let live’ is not applicable when it comes to exotic animals…if that little quip were really applied, it would mean you live your life and let a wild animal live its life IN THE WILD. I disagree with Jennifer that it may be best for them to stay in a poor environment just because they are used to it. The majority DO need to be confiscated due to poor conditions, lack of space, or risk to the public because they aren’t safely restricted. And if there is no sanctuary for them to go where they don’t have to live in another cage, then they should be humanely euthanized. Life in most of the private human designed enclosures for a large predator is simply not acceptable. Zoos that have multi million dollar enclosures aren’t even that humane for the most part. The VAST majority of wild animals will survive relocation as has been proven many times all over the world. It’s worth the stress IF there is a really good place for them to live at the end of the move. If a huge number of animals are taken from a hell hole in someone’s back yard, are in poor health and there are no funds to care for them, as sad as it is, they should be put down. There are much worse fates than death.

34. Elizabeth
    November 13, 2012, 9:10 pm

Great comment Madeleine Colon….right on the mark…..

35. joe
    TX
    November 13, 2012, 10:09 pm

This show is awful! Although it is about a topic that needs attention and action the show is just poorly done. First Allison and the other two men who are the hosts/experts/whatever since we do not know there qualifications for any of this stuff since nowhere in the show do they give the qualifications of these people who are supposed to be helping the animals. This is by biggest problem with the show Allison and the others seem to have no clue about animals, they do not have any resources, they do not have any contacts that could be used when a rescue actually takes place. They go around asking people to give these animals up to be placed in a sanctuary, but when a person finally does offer to give an animal up Allison and the others seem surprised and are not prepared for the placement. They have no relationships with any sanctuaries or professionals in the animal rescue field. They actually look in phone books and make pathetic attempts at relocating animals. 2nd, they have no qualifications for dealing with people that have obvious mental issues. They seem to have little knowledge of wild animals, animal health, the laws of regarding exotic animals, etc, etc. Its just pathetic to watch. Allison and the others have no rapport with the people and they are dealing with thus they are almost always unsuccessful. In cases like this one must have a combined social work mentality with knowledge of wild animals,etc. The hosts have none of these talents. For example tonights episode regarding Ben the Bear. Allison could of successfully had Ben’s den doubled but she screwed it up. She basically just went ,probably to the most expensive contractor available since he only builds for zoos. She accepted his offer of 10 grand w/o any counter offer or trying to convince him to give a discount or donate some material, or do the job pro bono for the sake of the animal. She just accepted his outrageous figure. She could of suggested for example,the show is giving you free advertising, giving your business a chance to be on TV, and if he would of done the job for free or at a discounted rate it would of been a great business move for him and the community would of thanked him. All this could of been done off camera. But she is so dumb,she just says ok to the $10,000 price tag. She could of tried locating different contractors who could of done it for far less. This example just shows how unqualified these people are. The show basically sucks because it takes a serious topic and does a half ass job at trying to help these poor animals.

36. anna
    November 13, 2012, 11:07 pm

Ben the Bear’s new habitat, with trees, grass, a pool and a 1,000-square-foot den at Performing Animals Welfare Society is thanks to a lawsuit filed by PETA. He eats a diet of fresh salmon and berries instead of dog food.

A permanent injunction signed by District Court Judge Kim Tucker will keep Ben in his new 2-acre habitat permanently. According to the order, Jambbas Ranch may never again own a bear and may not place any other wild or exotic animals in the cage where Ben was kept.

Watch a video of Ben in his new pool….. http://www.peta.org/features/ben-the-bear-rescue.aspx

37. Karen
    Washington State
    November 14, 2012, 2:55 am

I have watched this show from the start and I just cannot believe my eyes and ears. I don’t know if thier is a bigger cat lover then myself and up until about two years ago I always wanted a big cat. I started caring for this older woman and she just happened to have a bobcat so I had to take care of him as well. It just broke my heart to see how this bobcat had to live and he couldn’t be set free because he was declawed, and defanged and it was at that point I realized what right would I have or anyone else for that matter to be able to have an exotic animal like these cats. I can’t even believe that this is even an issue, all these people who have an exotic animal should put themselves in these cages just like the ones they have shown on this show and live in it 24 hours a day 7 days a week in the conditions these animals live in and see how they like it. Its soo sad too see what people are doing too these poor animals and the people say they are only wanting the best for them well if that was the real case then they wouldn’t have these animals in the first place. that guy Kirby is a idoit he thinks his cats have a great life when in fact I can’t believe they are still alive. Then you have the guy in Nevada now he should be shot for his stupidity, I know he’s making money off his cats it only obvious by having his “famous friends” donating to come see his cats in person and the list goes on. It doesn’t matter if you can aford them or not, we just shouldn’t have them at all. A lot of these animals are endangered and its really sad that in thier own habitat they are being killed but thats where they should be. Nature is just that and if its thier time then it should be its the people who need to be controled and more things being done to stop them from killing them. I can see rescuing an animal but only to the point where it’s better then set free.We as people are not above anyone or thing and too say you are doing it for them, to protect them, or too give them a better life is absolutely outragous, they need to stop thinking of themselves and pretending it’s all about the animal when its obvious it’s about them… MY HEART WILL ALWAYS BE OUT THERE FOR THESE ANIMALS AND I WILL PRAY EVERY DAY FOR THIER FREEDOM!

38. Jane
    california
    November 14, 2012, 2:04 pm

I understand these people love their animals but they need to do what is right for the animal. If the animal gets free for some reason and kills the owner the animal ends of being killed, is that right? I don’t think it is, if these people want to keep a wild animal they know the consequences.

39. cheryl puza
    ohio
    November 14, 2012, 11:55 pm

why didnt allison give that low life hillbilly $5thousand for the bear he probably would have took the money and they could have saved that poor suffering bear

40. Jane
    Massachusetts
    November 15, 2012, 1:37 am

This show does a lot for educating all of us on how extensive the maltreatment of wildlife is, regardless of how misguided and well meaning the individuals are who keep them. I agree with 99% of Alison and Billy’s solutions for the animals. However the solution Alison presented to James Bass in the episode with Ben the bear and his small concrete enclosure, I have to concur with Mr. Bass. Yes Ben absolutely needs a bigger enclosure but the Harvey fence company was pretty expensive for only doubling the size of the existing cage area. Unless the segment was poorly edited, it presented Bass as being very excited about the idea. When Harvey only intended to double it, Bass suggested a much bigger area would be better. I’d think that if you go to the trouble and expense of increasing the area, ideally it should end up larger than 24 x 30 for $10,000. Harvey is getting some great publicity, so you’d think they could cut a better deal, instead of making it look like Bass was against making any improvement. $5000 is harder for Bass to scrape up than for the Eastwoods and their friends. At least make Harvey Fence Co give Ben a more comfortable life for that kind of money.

41. Barbara Baldock
    Monterey, CA
    November 15, 2012, 1:36 pm

Thank you to ALL who are part of the program Animal Intervention. I am very involved in animalo welfare in my local area and have had a passion for wildlife for many years. I do not believe that we humans have a right to “own” wild animals in our back yards no matter how much we say we love them. They deserve our respect and proper treatment and a true protection of their wild habitat. Thank you again for airing this program and helping.

42. Mary Kay Krupisnki
    Wantagh NY
    November 17, 2012, 4:02 pm

I am watching the show about the tigers and the owner is crying because she is selling off everything to support her tigers. What gets me is that she has nothing, she is living in a shack, but she has these beautiful acrylic nails and manicure! One of the tigers recently suffered from kidney failure. Then when offered to relocate the tigers, she cannot give them up because they will miss her so much! Her tigers have a life of crap and she cannot even come to terms with that and be honest with herself. This is just cruelty for those poor tigers.

43. Daniel G Myers
    Woodland PA
    November 17, 2012, 4:54 pm

This summer my wife and I visited a roadside zoo in Wellsboro Pa called ANIMAL LAND. We were completely disgusted with what we saw. All the animals were dirty unhealthy and in terrible living conditions. The WHOLE place was just heartbreaking! Their “main attraction” a mountain lion,wasn’t even
    alive anymore. After leaving we went next door to eat.
    When we asked the man the that owned the restaurant about the zoo next door,he was totally against the way the place was run.He told us that he had “many” confrontations with the owner(of animal land) about they way things were run over there and he was told to “mind your own business”. My wife and i will NEVER return there again! Someone should really do something about this “zoo” ,its very unfortunate that these animals live this way and even more unfortunate that someone has not closed this place down.

44. Lisa bonfiglio
    Dobbins
    November 17, 2012, 5:07 pm

The people aren’t trying to help the people with the animals they just want to take them away the tiger lady’s animals where in great health also had what seemed good enclosures instead of just taking the animals away why not actually help the most of these are sanctuarys they took the animals because no one else would these people need donations not just take the animals away WTH

45. Cindy
    November 17, 2012, 6:48 pm

I do not understand people that put a wild animal in a cage and say they are doing it out of love. I love wild animals too but I love them in the wild. Thank you Alison and Donald for raising awareness and helping these beautiful animals. Please know that a lot of folks appreciate you.

46. Jessica
    Arkansas
    November 17, 2012, 7:34 pm

How can we submit a tip to the crew? There is an awful alligator petting zoo in Hot Springs, Arkansas and they have several mountain lions and a black panther in small and filthy conditions.

47. tiS
    USA
    November 18, 2012, 5:51 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHA

She will never attack me…because I’m her frien..d….
    I think um…
    SLAP!!!
    Alright…We are gonna go up there now and put him back up.

So damn funny. Makes it funnier when leopard swipes a paw on her face immediately after he says “she will never attack me because I’m her friend.”
    CLASSIC…wait…Is Kirby male or female?

48. animals12
    Illinois
    November 20, 2012, 3:31 pm

To the ppl who comment but have never worked with exotics, Don’t Judge. You have no idea what it takes to care for these animals. You can’t believe everything you see/hear on tv. They take days worth of shooting and chop it to fit an hr program. You aren’t seeing the whole truth.

As far as PETA…they are NOT a good organization. They are listed on USA list of domestic terror organization. They resort to terroristic behavior which is not “helping” the animals. They are the leader in domestic euthanizations in the USA.

P.S. PETA was responsible for what happened in Ohio.

49. Amy
    November 20, 2012, 9:56 pm

I know my post is going to create a lot of hate, but please hear me out. While the intentions of “saving the animals” may be good, the show is just plain awful. The hosts of the show clearly know nothing about caring for wild animals or what the different species need (as different species have different needs based on how they live in the wild). For instance, there was a statement made about a black bear that was the only animal on the property. The statement roughly said that the bear was clearly lonely. Bears are solitary animals (not social). The only time they come together is to breed or fight for resources. Bears can LEARN to live together in captive situations, but it is certainly not necessary for proper care. Forcing nonsocial animals together can actually create more problems steming from the stress created. Another animal naturally means competition (for food/mates/other resources) for a non-social animal whether there is more than enough food and space or not. This constant feeling of competition causes the stress I mentioned.

As for all of the talk about horse meat. It is only illegal for HUMANS to consume horse meat in the US. It is not illegal for it to be given to animals. Before I go on and get a bunch of haters, I want to say that I love horses, have ridden for 18 years and have a horse of my own. No, I would never want to see him slaughtered. With that being said, horse meat is actually more nutritious than cow meat (which is why they feed it). It just happens to be that the US culture originally required the help of horses to survive. Then we continued to ride them for fun and somehow they became part of the family. This happened with dogs as well. We originally bred them and used them for a purpose like hunting or protection. When we no longer needed them, we integrated them to be a part of the family. This is why the thought of slaughtering a horse is atrocious to most US citizens. However, horsemeat is regularly eaten and even considered a delicacy by people in other countries.

50. Lee Brown
    Greensboro, NC
    November 20, 2012, 10:27 pm

I am just horrified at the insanity of the animal slavers. They are animal slave owners. They have no empathy for the bears in a PIT on the Cherokee Reservation. The animal slave, James Bass, with Ben the bear in the dog pen, I hope he is sued for every penny he will ever make. Someone just needs to put the animals out of their misery for the nut old lady.

51. Lee Brown
    Greensboro, NC
    November 20, 2012, 10:55 pm

Ok I sat through the entire episode and I’m SOOOOO proud of the little old lady letting the animals go!! WOW! AND she going, too!! AWESOME. She really does care for those animals alot and she did the best she could. Bless her heart. So happy the tigers are going to a new home! Thank you Animal Intervention. Where can I make a donation?

52. Gary
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    November 20, 2012, 11:38 pm

Regarding the Bear Ben, James Bass, and the Jambbas Ranch. I think James was very open and hospitable to you and the crew. I believe he was doing a good job and was open to making the enclosure larger. He clearly could use more money to make changes to Ben’s habbitat and manages his money the best he sees possible. I was shocked at a $10,000 quote and did feel that using $5,000 for materials and volunteers to build a habitat 8 times larger was actually a much better compromise for PETA, the TV show, the Jambbas Ranch, and Ben. All of a sudden, well that is not good enough for the $5,000 donor. Was the donor the fencing contractor? It seems to me that the donor put such a harsh restriction on the spending because the donor had some bias or vested gain in the transaction. If it was the contractor, he just wanted to make it look one way while really making a profit and getting a tax deduction at everyone elses expense and used you. Why didn’t you try to see if the donor would have considered James’ idea. He was willing to have the contractor oversee the job. Another qualified individual could oversee the job. If the true purpose was to help the bear, people on both sides need to move to the middle. If the intent of the show is to paint James as a horrible individual, I do not think that is right. The animals looked well cared for and their habitats were clean. If james had as nice of qualty bear enclosure as he did, I doubt he would downgrade safety and quality. Truthfully, the show could have donated $5,000 for materials and done a show uniting people in the community on both sides. That would have provided a nice habitat for Ben and both sides would have been happier people, provided a service to increase visitors to neighboring service industries in the area, and school children could be better educated. There could have been a lot of very possitive advertising that would have come from the show. Everyone would benefit in many ways and there would be money made as well. I am a disabled Veteran. I suffer every day and I feel sorry for those better off that can not use their brains, bodies, and money in a more positive manner! Will you film a show about this if I make this happen as I have stated? I don’t have the money, don’t have the physical endurance or time, my mind is lacking it’s prior potential, I live very far away, but I think I can make it happen! Why didn’t you? Do you want to accept my challange?

Gary

53. Gary
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    November 20, 2012, 11:48 pm

Woops, I guess I was too late and PETA already got the bear taken away last month. My question is how much money did PETA, and your show spend all together in legal costs, and any other associated expenses trying to push a person down rather than help build up a better situation for James, the bear, and his community? I like to say, follow the money trail and you get closer to the truth!

54. synthea a'del
    CA
    November 21, 2012, 1:03 am

Just watched tonight’s episode. Wondering why the host did not bring up how keeping those bears in such horrid concrete pens does not fit with my understanding of how Native Americans view harmony with nature. They did not ask this of the owners nor the tribal chief. I don’t think the bears feel very harmonious with their enclosures. And I loved how the female owner justified this by saying the bears
    were born there and know no difference. If that’s true, why doesn’t she move back to the small place she grew up in on the reservation? I hope the activists and Bob Barker keep pressuring these people to get better enclosures.

55. Brian
    TX
    November 21, 2012, 11:48 am

I feel this TV Program maybe one of the most important animal; awareness, protectionist and activist programs ever created. Who knew, and how would anyone find out that people have wild animals in their homes and on their property. In most cases it seems to be ignorance combined with misguided love, with little regard to the over all health and welfare of the animals. I have a very hard time watching the show, but that’s the intrinsic value. Since watching this show I have donated to multiple animal support organizations. To make it personal, I’ve hunted and understand the desire to do so, but I haven’t in over 25 years. In the last couple years I would go through all the actions, hide, aim, but not shoot and then tell them “I got you”. Hopefully giving them a leg up on the next encounter. I realized I was hunting for the camaraderie and nothing more. I moved to photography. I call myself an animal lover but I understand that when I eat meat I’ve pushed the hunting to the grocery store. So now I have altered my diet to 85 – 95% vegetarian.

56. April
    Ohio
    November 21, 2012, 1:21 pm

After reading all the above comments, I saw only one person ask where to donate. Even in states where laws are strict, these people have the legal right to own exotic animals. I have heard the human subjects of this show claim that their enclosures are compliant with or superior to state and federal regulations. If this is true, why isn’t this show scrutinizing these government organizations regarding their criteria for privately owned exotic animal habitats? Nothing will change as long as the owners are operating within the law.

Some of the owners on this show seem knowledgeable about the species they are keeping and would gladly provide more for them if the funds and help were available. Why in this wealthy country is this an issue? Where can donation / volunteering information for these places be found so that concerned people can reach out to them and offer assistance instead of just griping about it online and then tuning in to the next TV show for the night. To those of you who are concerned with such a place in your area, have the ability to help in some way, yet do nothing, you are complicit, in part, for the ongoing conditions.

If all people with the heart and mind to were reaching out to others in need, human and animal, from our own blessings and abilities, much suffering would be alleviated, even prevented. Break free from your own enclosures and do something that matters to another living being. Your shock and horror, if not acted upon, amounts to nothing more than complacency.

57. Jodi
    MI
    November 21, 2012, 9:49 pm

I am saddened by how many of these people treat these animals.. I am a HUGE animal lover, but I cannot fathom or understand the thinking behind some of the owners treatment… nasty enclosures and just the inhumanity,, the bears..in a normal habitat will play, those bears were BEGGIN for food… many of the lions and tigers are basically in oversized chicken coops… This is NOT how they should be kept.. I have serious issues with the people who think they are doing something that is SO great, hmmm wonder how the animals are feeling .All the animals shown have feelings just like MOST of us humans,,, they should be treated with respect and compassion.. tired of people makin money off animals and treating them so poorly…. They may START with good intension (some) but from what I have seen.. ugh.. My pets (while domestic pets) they eat before I do !

58. Patti
    Georgia
    November 21, 2012, 10:15 pm

I love this show and it brings awareness to the public. I am glad they rescue some and feel sorry for the others but I think some of these places are well run and very educational for our children.

59. Patti
    November 21, 2012, 10:57 pm

I think Allison is really not understanding the personalities of these animals, of course they are going to freak out with cameras all around them and I bet they can read her body language, which is very apparent on the show…..she does not love these animals it seems she dosen’t even like them. I really love seeing the animals on the show.

60. Elaine
    Oklahoma
    November 22, 2012, 9:52 am

I just watched your show last night and I think you need a more honest name for it, “The PETA Agenda.” I suggest that people should check the internet for some of the PETA quotes to see just what those people really want. I don’t want to see animals abused any more than the people on the show claim to want; however, unlike them, I see no reason why people cannot own animals, “wild” or not, if they want and if safety rules are properly followed. Helping the older lady with all the large cats was very touching and excellent for both her and the cats. I am very glad that the show on the G.W. Animal Park in Oklahoma aired. I had not heard the details about Terry Thompson who supposedly turned his wild animals loose in Ohio, then committed suicide. I have to agree with Joe Exotic, it does not make sense that a man who had keys to the cages would use bolt cutters to cut the cages to free the animals, leaving the most expensive ones still caged, and then commit suicide. I hope someone in authority will investigate Mr. Thompson’s death as a murder. I view the PETA agenda as just another step in removing the freedoms that we have here in the USA. If we don’t stop them, then don’t be surprised when PETA comes for your dogs and cats. As a matter of fact, try checking on how PETA treats the animals they “rescue.” It is amazing how many end up dead.

61. Kathy Tobacco
    Atlanta Ga
    November 27, 2012, 12:56 am

I watched the “Dances with Bears” Episode tonight with Bob Barker and the Cherokee Indian Bear Zoo in NC owned by Barry Coggins and his wife Collette Coggins. I was very impressed with the Coggins both for their love of the bears and for their personal integrity, honesty, humility and mild manners. They are salt of the earth good people. Bob Barker has no moral authority to tell them anything. He is a dirty old man and a masher. It really bothered him that the bears “beg” for food (a content neonatalization behavior and nothing more) but he didn’t seem to care when young women begged him to leave them alone. Imagine your daughter calling you tearfully a few weeks after getting her “big break” just to tell you that she has to service that old coot to keep her job. Nasty. That just might just be beneath her dignity but who cares about young women when you can strike a pose and pretend to care about a bear. It made me sick to see Allison and Donald cozy up to that sorry excuse for a human being just because he threw a few dollars at Peta. Tell me Allison and Donald, “Would you consider not exposing us to filthy perverts on further episodes?” It really compromises your moral integrity.

62. Joeymichelle
    fl
    November 28, 2012, 8:11 am

I have worked with many animals, both in a zoological setting and in a sanctuary setting. What you see on this show is just the surface of the craziness that is out there concerning large animals. These are not pets, no matter how much experience you have. Let me say this, cleaning a enclosure and helping with a feeding is NOT working with big cats and does not qualify you to answer questions, give commentary, nor say what is in the best interest. Field wOrk, schooling, research, and years of observation does. Anyone who using full or semi- contact with carnivores does not have the animals best interest at heart. If the animal acts on their natural instinct, that is a instant death sentence. This is not PETA, PETA is a joke. They think you can set captive animals free.

63. Kelly Whitehead
    Miami, FL
    December 1, 2012, 10:36 pm

After watching the show highlighting the Ohio couple desperately trying to support a big cat rescue operation I was compelled to reach out. Instead of ripping at the owners heart strings by suggesting removal of the ailing tiger there were far better solutions in which I am extremely disappointed that neither host had the knowledge, background or call to action mentality which may have helped this dire situation. I am a Marketing executive that has had years of experience volunteering at wildlife rehabs, national zoos and aviaries. This couple needed some organizational volunteers, veterinary and zoological interns and fundraisers which may have helped them pull it together. I am more than happy to volunteer to help certain orgs with this task. The beauty of it is I could volunteer part time in the evenings from home to get them started. Shame on you Nat Geo for not including some truly helpful suggestions from a business and funding perspective!

64. Alessio Ventura
    December 1, 2012, 11:03 pm

Why don’t these two crusaders behave openly and honestly from the beginning. This is the same old 60 minutes style bait and switch, which is easy to do for any unsuspecting person. These two are quite arrogant to believe they know what is best for the animals. They pick and choose the winners and losers yet they have no authority or advanced knowledge of animals themselves. They are simply arrogant, unknowing hucksters posing as concerned for animals they know nothing about. It is laughable to see them pose as all knowing animal experts, when in fact they hide the interviews with experts or won’t interview any. Laughable.

65. Jimmy
    Idaho
    December 2, 2012, 2:25 am

WHY NAT GEO WHY!!!!
    2 self righteous animal rights activists try to convince animal owners that they should not have exotic animals! They say they are trying to be impartial. Then bring in Animal Rights activists like Bob Barker. Or obviously biased veterinarians to prove their point. The show was a hack job of cuts to make the animal owners look bad. This is the worst show I have ever watched. I have never felt compelled to write a review before now. I think this show needs to be stripped from the air. I will never watch another episode. And feel that these two should be charged for infringing on the rights of the animal owners! How can you even pretend to be impartial when in every cut scene you are admitting things like I can’t believe that a Native American Chief would have a bears head on his wall! HELLO!! the native Americans have hunted and fished for THOUSANDS of years. Just because these two are apparent vegans. Doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t eat steak. Furthermore, where are they actually taking the animals too? If the “Sanctuary” you are moving the animals too is so amazing why not show us?

66. Kristin
    Texas
    December 2, 2012, 3:16 pm

My first comment is to Bryn who posted on 10.6.12. Thank you for bringing the issues of the breeders/horses to the readers’ attention! My suggestion would be to contact your local SPCA, or any other legal animal rescue organization. That way at least a formal complaint has been lodged, which may lead to an investigation.

As far as the show goes, I’m a bit of a “late-comer”. However, regarding the show w/ the Cherokee bears, just a couple of quick comments. How can anyone justify keeping bears in that type of enclosure? It would be one thing if the enclosures were much larger, and the bears had the ability to see the horizon, their surroundings, etc. Instead, they walk on concrete, and the only way to see “outside” is to look “up”. I don’t deny they looked well fed, but their other mental and physical needs SHOULD BE addressed. What kind of life is it to walk around 24/7 staring at 4 tall grey walls? I noticed the owners live in an absolutely beautiful home. Since they seem to be doing well financially, why not create humane enclosures, with grass, dirt, perhaps a safe GLASS wall? I think that Alison should probably become more educated, but at the very least she and National Geographic are bringing attention to possible abuse/neglect, whether intentional or not, that have been going on too long.

67. Chuck
    Mexico
    December 5, 2012, 2:24 pm

What irony on this show, wow. Rikki Harrison, activist that she is, is worried about someone else’s bear, however she feels comfortable using hair dye that has been tested on animals, uses electric fencing for her horses, and along with the shows’ hosts, probably uses paper hygiene products that are harvested, from the bears natural habitat. Truly this show is pathetic, garnering sympathy from the sheeple who live in denial and fear. Glad I do not live in the US any longer, where intelligent debate and thinking for oneself has went the way of morality and ethics.

68. Gina
    December 8, 2012, 10:02 pm

Unbelievable! They beg to move the exotic animals to same situation.

69. Wesley
    U.S.
    December 8, 2012, 11:12 pm

Under what premise do these people get in the door? If the show represented how hard it is to keep exotics, and helped discourage tragic situations, and I think it has the potential to, I think the point would be reasonable. A barbie doll know all barking at someone doesnt float my boat. I agree there are problems, but as others have stated, not much has been done. Viewers arent shown the happy endings. I imagine that the owners are told they will recieve help, and in hopes let these actors in their house. Then they feel played for a fool. A truck comes up and the animals go to the same situation, have the hatès scared out of them, and owners wondering what happened. Animals dont care if the zoo sign is falling, as long as they are comfortable and in familiar surroundings. Unfortunately, a circus elephant will always want to be a circus elephant. Thats what seperates animals from humans. They dont have the logic to backup or change their instincts once trained and raised.

70. bikerboy
    Huntsville alabama
    December 15, 2012, 9:47 pm

I just seen the episode concerning Ben , the black bear. There has got to be a law out there somewhere that prevents some JackASS from keeping this beautiful bear in captivity. Somewhere out there, I know that there is some one for a lot less than $5000, that would be willing to take this animal back to its natural habitat. Perhaps the owner would be better in a bear habitat. Im sure that Ben would be happy to acomidate him. dont you?

71. DJ
    Santa Monica
    December 16, 2012, 12:43 am

Donald Shultz, one of the hosts, is being investigated by U.S. Fish and Wildlife for illegally importing and exporting reptiles. Shame on Nat Geo for hiring him. Donald illegally collects reptiles, including highly venomous snakes, and routinely neglects them until they die. I have personal knowledge of this and have seen first hand how this guy operates. He has zero concern for wildlife — or people for that matter — and should not be portrayed on television as an expert who cares about animals.

72. Jim Harrison
    Kentucky
    December 27, 2012, 10:49 am

Reference Donald Shultz : Does the media do fact checks or background checks. Donald is far from being an expert in the field of herpetology but is a self proclaimed expert who was an animal dealer that has had issues following the law. As far as his failed Animal Planet show Wild Recon there has not been one research paper published using the venom he collected. Also Sri Lanka officials told us while we were there that they had a warrant for Donald’s arrest for wildlife violations he did while filming Wild Recon. The guides in Sri Lanka that worked with him said he treated them poorly and had a huge ego. Having meet Donald I can say his ego is huge and his knowledge of animals is small. Who will protect the animals from Donald? How many other people realize this show is a rip off of the same show on AP called Wild Repo or the poorly staged movie The Elephant in the Living Room. Ratings over facts NGO Wild heading down the path of Animal Planet that shows suggest garbage programs as Rattlesnake Republic and Call of the Wildman.

Sincerely
    Jim Harrison
    Director
    Kentucky Reptile Zoo

73. Johnny
    NL
    January 26, 2013, 3:35 pm

I dislike this show very much, luckily there are a few people who wanna help animals where they can. Sure show us footage that’s welcome for your point of view :/ But im sure that these people with a real dedicated heart for animals deserve a compliment instead of getting burned down by them 2 hypocrit “animal-protectors” Do something at poachers and smugglers with the money you waste on this show!

74. Leo
    new mexico
    January 29, 2013, 1:53 am

Nat geo shulod be sue for do nothing about help animals or others they just ignore everything

75. [...] One was featured in an episode of Animal Intervention, the Animal Planet show with Alison Eastwood, filmed several months before Bobbi flew out to [...]

76. Yuri Shin
    Kangnam
    February 22, 11:34 pm

What the hell???? They say they’ve rescued an animal. But why does a perfectly healthy animal die within a few month after a rescue???? Struck by lightening? I feel terrible for the sad sad poor bear “Shadow”. Wth??! I’m speechless. Can somebody actually investigate Shadow’s death? Was Shadow really killed by lightening or was there another shady reason????

77. Yuri
    Kangnam
    February 22, 11:52 pm

Comment about “Shadow” The bear, that was taken away from mommy(human) and was killed within few months after rescue.

I just took time to read comments above and wondered if perhaps Shadow was killed by other bears in that new shelter?

Here’s the comment I totally agree with.
    [ The hosts of the show clearly know nothing about caring for wild animals or what the different species need (as different species have different needs based on how they live in the wild). For instance, there was a statement made about a black bear that was the only animal on the property. The statement roughly said that the bear was clearly lonely. Bears are solitary animals (not social). The only time they come together is to breed or fight for resources. Bears can LEARN to live together in captive situations, but it is certainly not necessary for proper care. Forcing nonsocial animals together can actually create more problems steming from the stress created. Another animal naturally means competition (for food/mates/other resources) for a non-social animal whether there is more than enough food and space or not. This constant feeling of competition causes the stress I mentioned.
    I’m not saying that bear didn’t need to be rescued. That bear needed to be rescued for reasons other than “it was lonely”. My point is that the hosts are breeding false information, and that is certainly not what we need. The show could be great if they had knowledgable hosts. The fact is the show purposely tugs at the human emotion (through false information) to gain viewers.]