These pieces were created from items recovered from the Vermont Marble Company. Located in Proctor, Vermont, this prosperous company was founded in 1880 by businessman and politician Redfield Proctor. The surrounding area held valuable marble quarries that supplied the factory. As railroads made the area accessible to the rest of the nation, the Vermont Marble Company grew to become one of the largest producers of marble in the world.

To keep up with their expanding business, Vermont Marble sent interpreters to Ellis Island to recruit new immigrants. The nearby town of Proctor sprung up, populated almost entirely by the company’s five thousand workers. Redfield Proctor, a senator, used his political ties to bring in large contracts for Vermont Marble. The company contributed marble to the Washington Monument, United States Supreme Court building, Arlington National Cemetery, and other iconic American sites.

During the Second World War, the factory was retooled to make submarine engines. In the following years, the marble industry declined and the company struggled. Vermont Marble eventually stopped operations in the 1990s.  There is now a museum on the property as well as a small company operating in one end that cuts what is left of the marble quarried there decades ago.

This coffee table is a simple, but unique refurbishment. Upon finding the wooden handtruck in the factory, Jay knew right away that it would be a coffee table. The handtruck itself is a testament to a time gone by when craftsmanship and integrity were a way of life. It was built using through mortise and tenons which are exposed on both sides. The combination of wood and steel give it a strong industrial look. Partnered with a marble slab from this historic factory, it makes for a one-of-a-kind coffee table with one hell of a story.

In addition to the handtruck, Jay found a wood and wrought iron marble jack at the factory. After cleaning up the jack and applying a coat of tung oil, Jay went shopping for inspiration in his snake room, which houses everything from wagon wheel hoops to blunt screws and is essentially his very own antique hardware store (and occasionally the home to a rogue snake). He welded on a wrought iron base (which used to be a small barrel hoop) to stabilize the jack so it could stand upright. He then used a second hoop for the top. It happened to have 10 holes for which Jay found 10 big rusted nails which were a perfect match. The top spins and the nails hold whatever you’d like them to, from coats to holsters to hats. This jack once moved marble slabs which possibly were used to build some of the most amazing historical landmarks in the United States. Now Jay has given it a second life as a jack rack. How cool is that?

These pieces serve as beautiful, unique pieces of furniture while celebrating the history of a company that helped fashion some of our nation’s architectural treasures. It is our true hope that you fondly think of those people and times while you enjoy these treasures.

Find out more about the marble coffee table and the jack rack, including how you can own them, on the Reclaimed Relics site.

Tonight, on Abandoned: Vermont Marble Factory, the guys head to Vermont, where marble was processed for the U.S. Supreme Court Building and the Jefferson Memorial. The owners of an abandoned marble factory and a hidden bomb shelter grant Jay access to the property. After finding a huge air raid siren, the guys hop on an elevator that sends them straight to the basement – and to the bomb shelter. There, they find collectibles, including White House blueprints. But Jay’s in for a shock of his own when Ricki surprises him on their anniversary. Browse other Finds From the Marble Factory.

Comments

1. j
    usa
    September 26, 2012, 9:03 pm

Why didn’t you put the White House blueprints in a folder with other blueprints and bid on the whole folder?

2. George
    Florida
    September 27, 2012, 3:38 pm

From the first episode of Abandoned I could tell that you, Jay, are an honest man when it comes to negotiations. That is most commendable.
    I guess I am somewhat less honest as I agree with “j”. I would have been very tempted to slip the White House blueprints into a bunch of others and bid on the lot. That said, I still commend you on your honesty. God bless, stay safe and keep up the good work that makes “Abandoned” the great show that it is.
    George

3. Reclaimed Relics
    Sellersville, PA
    September 29, 2012, 12:27 pm

Hey George….it’s Jay and Ricki! We just wanted to thank you! We stole our motto from Abe Lincoln when he was asked about his religion: “When I do good things, I feel good. And when I do bad things, I feel bad”. We’ve just found that feeling good feels better than feeling bad! (karma). Thanks again! And thanks for watching!

4. C
    usa
    September 29, 2012, 9:47 pm

you all really need to start wearing respirators while going through these locations. that is just careless and sets a bad example…

5. Toni
    Maryland
    October 3, 2012, 5:11 pm

I love the show, especially the history of the different places you go. You guys have great personalities and charisma. I will be watching tonight in between the Presdential debates.

6. Lissie
    Proctor,VT
    October 8, 2012, 9:30 am

The entire Marble Show was a scam and staged – the building is NOT abandoned! Also, not a bomb shelter – Just publicity stunt by the owners of the Marble Museum! What a joke !!

7. A.M.Bell
    Bolton Landing, NY
    October 8, 2012, 4:00 pm

My Great-grandfather was an Italian immigrant who worked for the Vermont Marble Company in Proctor, VT. I have been there several times and even brought my grandmother who showed us the school and the home where she lived as a child. My great-grandfather had trouble getting a job because of he wasn’t Irish, so in Proctor he went by the name of Bill Reilly. The Vt. Marble Co. owned the houses and the company store where everything was purchased. They borrowed in the winter when hours were short and paid back in the summer when men worked longer hours. It was hard to get ahead so my great grandfather moved to Albany where he owned his own home and rented out appartments.

8. Sandra Shriver
    Atlanta,IN
    October 9, 2012, 6:09 pm

Great show! My Mom and I used to drive around till we found a old abandon places, then we would sneak in. We loved doing this and finding old things, she said always carry a roll of t.p along in case someone would stop and ask you why you was there. So Sandly I lost my Mom last month, but I will always remember the fun times we had. Good job, I love antique’s and the work that went into making them. Thanks

9. jay at reclaimed relics
    October 9, 2012, 9:35 pm

dear lissie. there is a small portion of this vast compound that tells us the story of a great giant in our history that is now gone.thank god for the wonderful hardworking folks that saved what they could so you and yours could have the chance to step back in time and not forget where we came from. as for the lack of a bomb shelter i can say with no hesitation my eyes saw,my nose smelled and my body entered a real honest to goodness abandoned bomb shelter.as i was ready to jump down through a hatch door my buddy mark warned me about what looked like quicksand and stopped me from taking the plunge.silt had built up over decades of flooding had i jumped i might not be writing you tonight.i would like to invite any good folk who have a passion for our past and happen to be in v.t. to stop in and say hello you will not be disappointed.NO JOKE

10. Tami
    Houston
    October 10, 2012, 5:48 pm

Abandoned is my very favorite show. As a child my mother and I would visit old places and find wondeful stuff. As an adult I have been know to go into abandoned places and come home with a treasure or two. I am absolutley transfixed every time your show comes on although I wish it were longer than thrity minutes. It’s just never long enough and I can’t wait for the next week. I want to be you when I grow up. I can’t think of a better way to earn a living. I also admire your honesty and integrity. I would be very tempted!!! Jay and Ricky are the cutiest couple!! You can tell there is much love between the two! Hurry up and make some new episodes!!! Thanks for the BEST entertainment!!

11. Lissie
    Procotr,Vt
    October 10, 2012, 6:02 pm

Jay
    You fail to address the issue – the property is not abandoned!
    Your lack of knowledge is mindblowing – not a bomb shelter not matter how you would like to spin it – Perhaps you should have taken a moment and spoke to residents who know the VM and Proctor history – not someone who bought it!
    Face it the entire show was a shame and a scam, all staged- there was no need to break in!

12. W@menatoma
    Texas
    October 10, 2012, 6:20 pm

Love the show, but the Cadillac was never mentioned after the failure to start it. We (my wife and I) were wondering if you ever got to fully salvage then refurbished the Caddy. BTW. What year and model was it?

13. H
    October 10, 2012, 9:01 pm

It actually was a bomb shelter, I was taken on a private tour there and got to go down to the basement . Where there absolutely is a sign that says bomb shelter in there. And I am a resident in that town.

14. margie
    ca.
    October 25, 2012, 2:18 pm

love the show.Is the season over when will it be back?

15. Sara Burke
    November 13, 2012, 12:56 pm

Hey Guys, Love your show! I got a little problem though and as a Colorado Gal I could not let it go. Vermont marble company did provide the marble for the Lincoln Memorial and for the Tomb of the Unknowns. HOWEVER the stone itself for part of the Lincoln Memorial, and the entire block for the Tomb of the Unknowns came from Marble, Colorado. A fact we are rather proud of here in the Rockies. The gold from our hills, from the gold rush, runs though that same chunk of stone. Just a little unsolicited fact (that honestly may not have flowed well in the show), for you all. Take care!

16. Marsha
    Proctor, Vt
    December 5, 2012, 5:35 pm

Hi all – sorry to be so late in clarifying, the back part of the building is abandoned, and was the home of the production of the Vermont Marble Company. The part of the building that is not abandoned is the Vermont Marble Museum in the front of the property. The Abandoned crew explored the back abandoned part of this historic property. The way down, third floor underground air raid shelter was equipped for the employees of the company – it was flooded, and although there are likely many artifacts in there, it is, as Jay said, filled with a dangerous looking muck that deters further exploration!
    Also, Sarah (above) is correct that some of the marble used in the construction of many of the monuments came from the Colorado mine, which was owned by the Vermont Marble Company – these monuments (and the Tomb) was made from a combination of marble from Vermont and Colorado – a fact that both Vermont and Colorado are rightly proud of!
    We thank Jay and Co. for bringing the history of the company to the attention of many more people than we can reach –
    Marsha & Martin, present owners

17. Robert
    Washington, DC
    January 31, 2013, 9:47 am

This show troubles me as it fragments what remains of this building and its archives for profit without any concern for the systematic documenting of what they take. When I read the comments about grabbing the blueprints for our nation’s Capitol such as the whitehouse and less notable buildings, it makes me sad how little respect the owners and these men have in the long term understanding of the history of this important Vermont company.

18. Larry Eberly
    Quakertown, Pa.
    May 3, 2013, 2:03 am

Meeting you at your sale was a pleasure, you have a great personality and a passion for work a history. The country need’s more people like you, finding and preserving our history by not letting it rust to nothing.Hey Jay don,t sweat the little thing’s like Robert from Washington. Happy hunting and God bless, Your friend Larry .