If all you know about NASCAR is that it involves fast cars racing on a closed circuit, you don’t really know anything. NASCAR is a tight knit community of drivers, teams, families, and intensely loyal fans. Like many communities, there are plenty of dogs, and not all of them are model citizens. Cesar Millan has come to Daytona International Speedway ahead of a big race to meet with NASCAR drivers and a fan whose life is all about motorsports. Cesar aims to help these pet owners balance their dogs by engaging their passion for NASCAR.

Brian Sacks has always been immersed in NASCAR. His father, Greg, is a champion driver, and along with his brother Paul, Brian owns a vodka company that sponsors several drivers. Because his life intersects with the sport in so many ways, it could be said that Brian lives NASCAR. Motorsports are all about discipline and patience, waiting for the exact moment you can make your move and surpass your opponent, and many parts of Brian’s life exemplify these characteristics except when it comes to his dog, Gizmo. Gizmo is a small Pekingese, but he is unencumbered by his physical size and can dominate anyone who comes into his home. This is most evident when Gizmo claims objects that have fallen on the floor. The type of object is inconsequential, be it a piece of paper or a toy if it’s on the ground, it’s Gizmo’s, and he will snap at anyone who is bold enough to try and pick it up. Outside of the house, Gizmo is a terror. If another dog comes into view while Brian is walking Gizmo, the little dog will bark ferociously and lunge. Gizmo is Brian’s baby and he doesn’t want to be mean, but with his only recourse to get Gizmo to obey being copious amounts of treats, Brian’s cash flow is taking a major hit.

Many of NASCAR’s superstars have used their fame and recognition to philanthropic ends. One such driver is Greg Biffle, driver of car #16 and a perennial champion on the NASCAR circuit. Together with his wife Nicole, Greg founded the Greg Biffle Foundation which aims to “create awareness and serve as advocates to improve the well-being of animals.” The foundation accomplishes this goal through monetary grants to shelters and organizations across the country. Part of the foundation’s focus is the overpopulation of abandoned animals in shelters, and they champion a message of spaying and neutering. One shelter that has been given a grant is the Halifax Humane Society located in Daytona Beach, Florida. In many ways, the Halifax Humane Society is typical of most animal shelters in the United States. It houses up to 350 animals and is often at capacity. Because Cesar will be in Daytona Beach, Greg and Nicole have invited him to teach some pointers on evaluating a dog to the staff members at the Halifax Humane Society. It is the Biffle’s hope that equipped with Cesar’s methods, the staff will be able to help potential adoptees make a good impression.

Kevin Harvick is a yet another NASCAR champion with a passion for animals. Driver of car #29, Kevin and his wife DeLana have owned larger breed dogs their entire lives, including two specially trained German shepherds. Traveling the country for NASCAR means many weeks spent living in a motor home. The Harvicks wanted to bring their dogs with them, but they felt it was too difficult and unfair to the dogs to have them in such cramped living conditions. DeLana had met another driver’s Chihuahua and liked the breed’s temperament, so she decided to find a breeder and eventually adopted Lo. From the outset, Lo asserted her dominance on every member of the Harvick’s pack. She barks at anyone who passes by the motor home’s windows and if they come inside it’s even worse. If someone reaches to pick up Lo, she snaps and snarls at them. The Harvicks have needed help with Lo for years, but they are even more desperate now because they are expecting their first child later in the year. It’s up to Cesar to assess the needs of these problem dogs and help the back on the road to happiness and good behavior.

_____

Tune in to Dog Whisperer Saturday, September 1st, at 8P et/pt.

Comments

1. Zoraida
    sanborn, ny
    September 1, 2012, 11:33 pm

I’m very impress with Cesar Millan, I will like to see how he can help me abot my dogs pitbulls, His show dog wisperer is, inspiring.

2. Jennifer Pattini
    San Gabriel Valley
    September 3, 2012, 3:40 pm

Hey Cesar, When are you going to come back to help oridinary folks like me who also need help with their just as important loving dogs? II have been watching you since you 1st. started and have been a believer ever since,went to 3 of your seminars,loved them and have emailed you probably a hundred times, with no response (in the beginning I thought I would get through) well now what’s the use. Cesar,please come back and help some of us who also need you but are not famous, just need help. Hope you get this

Thanks,
    Jennifer

3. scott fialkoff
    Ca
    September 4, 2012, 5:49 pm

We just got a dog it will not in the back yard to go to the bathroom, He what to be walk all the time to go the bathroom down the street .
    how can brake him out of walking .I what him to go in the back yard .
    Scott Fialkoff

4. Jumana Al-Awar
    germantown Maryland
    September 8, 2012, 11:58 am

Hello Ceasar!

I really hope this email finds you! My name is Jumana Al-Awar, I live in Germantown Maryland, and im 20 years old. My family and I are desperate and are in need of your help and expert advise. Our 4 year old, beautiful pomeranian named Ramone is in plain words…. VICIOUS. Its really sad because we can see the loving, happy go lucky dog underneath all of that anger and anxiety.But the truth is we are close to having to resort to drastic measures with Ramone because over the years he has bitten us an other people also his tendency to bark at and attack guests. Not to mention its to hard to live with a dog that you cant pet, hold, or somtimes even walk by or go to bed with out being attacked by.Ramone has a great, funny,loud, pomeranian personality and I feel bad that because he was not trained properly he will loose a family and we will loose our baby. My family are die hard animal lovers and we are scared that we might loose our precious dog/ brother/baby/friend!!! If you could please come and help us we would be eternally greatful!!

Thank you so much!

your fan/friend, Jumana

5. miu
    Hong Kong
    November 9, 2012, 6:56 am

Hoping that u will come Hong Kong to teach us how to leader our dogs.

6. Donald Trush
    Madison Wisconsin
    November 24, 2012, 5:30 pm

Oh please help. I am a single dad of a 9 yer old son who lives with me full time,My son fell in love with a 11 month old Huskey so we adopted (rescued ) her.She is and was not potty trained,I have tried everything. All your advis e and all the books but she still goes in the house.I even tried crate training but if she is free at all she goes in the house but not the crate,PLEASE. PLEASE help me,My son loves that dog

7. Ashley Cooper
    TN
    November 26, 2012, 1:20 pm

I have two dogs different breeds one of them is a mini dashund and a pitbull/bassett hound if you can help me train him then i would be happy.

8. Tan
    Papua New Guinea
    January 5, 2013, 11:34 pm

Dog Whisperer is the worst and most idiotic program of Nat Geo I have ever seen and I am sick of it because it goes on 4-5 times a day in Papua New Guinea. We live in a country where we need more educational programs useful for the people living in PNG, than about how to raise dogs of rich people. Please stop showing this stupid program atleast in south pacific countries.

9. irma perez
    bayamon, puerto roco
    February 18, 2013, 9:23 pm

I need help, i own a american bulldog 4 year and a germaman sherper 1 year both females lately they are fighting, and is getting worse they realy get beat up, i love them but i have to make a dicision that hurts, please jelp

10. irma perez
    bayamon puerto rico
    February 18, 2013, 9:27 pm

I need your anwser soon please

11. Tracey Adams
    Australia
    March 27, 2013, 4:06 am

Hello Brian! What a hotty….too bad you’re dog owned you for a bit there! I loved this episode, I loved how Brian had his routine set for Gizmo and how Cesar couldn’t believe it! Cesar, you’re such an inspiration. Thank you!

12. Jacqueline
    Portland, Oregon
    September 17, 2013, 10:03 pm

Hey Cesar we have a pitbull we need your help he eats everything and when we are going to take him outside to go pee he pulls us out please help us!!