By Ricki Chaikin, Co-Owner of Reclaimed Relics Featured on Abandoned

Upcycled? We’re not sure.  If you saw this episode, you know that Mark loves PBR and he thought this would be a great time to do a refurbishment of his own. A little redneck? Maybe. But let’s face it… every man wants a man cave, and even though Mark built his man cave in our office… there is no denying it’s cool.

The Pabst Blue Ribbon symbol is an American icon. “PBR” is the working man’s drink and loved by millions. Pabst dates back to the mid 1840’s and was originally owned and operated by the Best family. By the 1860’s, business was declining, but in 1862 Captain Frederick Pabst married into the family and into the business. By 1874, Pabst was America’s largest brewery and the name was officially changed in 1889. In 1893, Pabst won “America’s Best” at the World Exposition in Chicago. From that time, Pabst was known as Pabst Blue Ribbon, or PBR,  and that famous blue ribbon became synonymous with Pabst.

A  lot of the items we recovered from Pabst came from the medical center, and anyone  who has ever drank too much Pabst knows that the next day some peace and quiet, a comfy chair, and hangover kit are your best friends.

To start, Mark hung the Pabst shower curtain (separating his man cave from the kids, dogs, and offices).  Upon drawing the curtain, you’ll find a Pabst cot and blanket, classy keg lamp, hangover kit and the centerpiece:  double lawn chairs with a Pabst umbrella in the center!

Mark started his refurbishment by taking the first aid kit from Pabst and turning into none other than a “hangover kit.”  He cleaned it up, painted in the Pabst colors, put a Pabst tin, some beakers with aspirin and more PABST beer inside.

If you need a nap, you can chill out on the Pabst cot and if you’re chilly it’s not a problem because folded neatly at the foot of the cot is a Pabst blanket. In the corner of the man cave is the “keg lamp.” Mark took a keg that we saved from Pabst, stole a plant hanger from Ricki’s garden and welded it to the keg. Then he borrowed an antique wooden handled drop light from Jay’s shop, hung it on the hanger and voila:  a keg lamp!

As for the centerpiece, Mark took two lawn chairs and welded them together with some sheet metal, creating a small table that joins them. For the finishing touches, he cut a hole to slide the Pabst umbrella through!  Now perfect for an indoor or outdoor man cave.

Check out some of their other finds from the PBR factory and find out how you can own items featured on the show!

Comments

1. Andrea Clark
    Quakertown Pa
    August 30, 2012, 3:14 pm

Great job with the man cave! Love it! I bet your brother Matt could never do that!

2. Lauren Doyle
    Florida
    August 30, 2012, 4:38 pm

Love the show! I love watching Jay and hearing all the history. He has alot of passion and character. His wife Ricki is great too. I can’t wait for the next episode.

3. Toby
    Missouri
    August 31, 2012, 9:08 pm

I like the show but it really bothers me that you destroy the historical significance of artifacts. For example, those beautiful lights in the bowling alley of the church. They were yellow with a lucky strike bowling decal- you painted them bright glossy green and added a skyline building design which looked cool but totally did not keep with the character if the original lamps. And I was almost physically sick to see the lovely old green and white medicine cabinet painted red. Why ruin history??? Any collector knows that refurbishing can destroy value and historical significance.

4. Thomas wilcoxson
    oregon
    September 2, 2012, 5:47 pm

Hey,theres an abandonded ice manufacturing plant from the 40’s in Modesto Cailf. Been abandoned since the 70’s I think.
    Happy hunting. Great show

5. Allen
    Huntsville, Alabama
    September 13, 2012, 12:42 pm

Saw the s how for the first time this week (Pabst factory). REALLY enjoyed it. Love that you guys remind me of things that I haven’t seen since I was a child, like the night-watchman’s key. Think you missed it on the “medicine cabinet” though. Pretty sure it was a fire extinguisher cabinet. Queues were the green cross (as opposed to red) and the cut outs on the right side. The U-shaped cut about mid-way up was for support and the bowl shape in the bottom keeps the base from sliding to the left. Just my thoughts.
    Keep up the good work, will definitely continue to watch.

6. Margaret Lazenby
    Riverside, CA
    September 28, 2012, 9:42 pm

What happened to the photos of the African American ministers whose photos were on the walls of the church with the bowling alley? Interested in possibly purchasing them.

7. Matt's#1Fan
    Cydonia, PA
    October 13, 2012, 8:53 pm

I happen to know Mark’s brother Matt personally and he is way cooler! He plays the guitar too!

8. I'm Abandoned
    November 26, 2012, 8:51 am

Guess I’m with Toby fr Missouri here- when I saw the hangover kit cabinet, my heart broke. I understand his passion for the brand & wanting to make the man cave… but, ouch. Sounds like it’s a regular thing with y’all… so I guess as long as people know what yr about, there ya go. But I admit, I just pictured the B-Best Beer Oak chair & the Capt’s desk (I know ya don’t have it) all sanded and painted pink for some woman’s office… *shudder Also: fool me once; natgeo made it seem like to come here was practically a shop -folks could buy stuff and all. Anyway, y’all seem like a great bunch & damn Jay: I wish I had yr dentist.