If you tuned in to Angela Carnegie’s incredible story on Locked Up Abroad: Busted in Bangkok, I’m sure you have questions. We checked in with Angela to get answers and see what life is like for her today and here’s what she had to say:

After Andrew discovered you were in Bangkok and called you at your hotel, did you have second thoughts about going through with it at that point?
I was very torn about what I was doing, but I had already been in Thailand for a while and didn’t have any money and knew that I had bills stacking up at home, I thought that if I could just get through this then it would catch up things financially, and make things easier for us to have a “fresh start” together… I was also afraid that if I backed out at that point I would have no way to get home and get back to a normal life.  The last words I spoke to him were I love you and I’ll see you in about 3 or 4 days.

At the beginning of your prison sentence, you learned the hard way that showing the bottom of your foot to someone is rude in Thai culture. What other cultural differences did you learn about during your time in prison?
There are many many differences in the South East Asian culture and that of North America, apart from pointing your foot, or walking over someone, it is also considered rude to be over some one’s head, basically if you are taller than someone and you tower over them you must sit in their presence.  Also, the Thais have a philosophy that no matter what you feel inside you just smile and pretend. There are a lot of differences… huge obstacles to over come at times

What were the conditions like in the prison?
The conditions were very crowded, dirty, and unsanitary.  We showered outside rain or shine, often times standing in floating sewage which overflowed from the sewage canal that ran all around the edge of the prison.  You were not supplied with any of your needs, uniforms, toiletries, writing materials, medicines, nothing… if you had no money there to survive life was just that much harder.  The government food that was provided was barely edible and often had rocks or bugs in it.  After it was “served” onto metal trays it often sat on the table for more than an hour before the prisoners actually got to it.  During that time birds would sit and eat off the side of the tray…There were huge rats all over the prison, hundreds of cats who were not always the cute and cuddly variety, but often mangy and diseased.  We were often sleeping next to  to AIDS patients, exposed to TB, Leprosy, pink eye, constant colds and flu, various skin rashes and infections,  and pretty much any other disease you can imagine.  There were times of water shortage, exposure to extreme heat almost constantly, power outages at night while in the room with 200+ other people so no fans or running water even for toilets… It is nothing that someone who hasn’t experienced can really imagine… ever.

Were you able to communicate or exchange letters with Andrew, or any of your friends or family while you were incarcerated?
I did exchange letters with some family and friends, we were allowed to write three one-page letters per week.  The mail was often backed up weeks and months at a time basically just to torment the foreigners because they knew it was the only real happiness we had.  I did not write to Andrew, the only address I had for him was his Mother’s home and I was embarrassed and ashamed at how his family would view me should I try to reach out to him.  He ran into a mutual friend twice, who knew where I was and how to reach me but refused to give him the information.

It took a lot of mental fortitude to keep yourself going for almost nine years after facing a life sentence. After your breakdown at the prison, what kept you from succumbing to those feelings of pain and helplessness again?
I got a job at the prison bakery and basically buried myself in work and trying to adapt to the Thai way of doing things.  Once I came to terms with the fact that I was going to be there for a very long time I just tried to put my head down and do it.  Sometimes that worked, sometimes it didn’t.  I learned to find faith in God when I had no more strength of my own.  I had friends in the prison that I spent time with and we tried to be supportive and encouraging to each other… that was sometimes hard because we were all in an awful situation… that in itself was often what gave us the strength to support each other through various bad times.

What realization did helping the heroin addict help you come to regarding your own situation?
It wasn’t like I didn’t know heroin was bad, but it really hit me that this drug that I was trying to bring into the US was so very powerful and destructive.  I really got how much of a hold it could have on someone’s life and what it could do.  So helping her along with the fact that I had seen so much pain and misery over the years simply over this drug… it just really hit me that I wanted no part of something like that ever again.  I wanted to help people, not help destroy their lives.  I wanted to uplift people and show them that you CAN survive and you CAN face your demons and you CAN get through it… It was then that I finally began to feel like I was going to be OK when I returned home. It was then that I knew that I would never go back to the type of life I was living again. It was then that I really started to mentally prepare for going home and all the challenges I would face.  It was then that I also realized that there were far worse fates that being in prison in Thailand… I never ever wanted to be a prisoner in my own mind or body.  I was ready to be FREE…not just physically, but mentally and emotionally as well.

How did this experience change you as a person?
This experience helped me become the woman I am today.  I see life differently than most..I don’t worry about the “little things” so to speak, I focus on life and happiness on a large scale, not the small day to day trials and tribulations that we often have in life.  I learned to appreciate every thing in this life no matter how small.  There are still moments today almost ten years later when just simple things like the ability to flush the toilet, or open the refrigerator, or taking a hot bath are the simplest sweetest pleasures.  I appreciate the friends and family I have, I appreciate the fact that I can get up and go to work everyday and work towards improving my life constantly.  I cherish my life, I appreciate my life, and I will never stop trying to better my life.

Can you share a bit about your life now? What are you up to?
I am married to Andrew, and we are raising our son and trying to teach him and help him to be the best person he possibly can.  I manage a small business and spend time with friends and family whenever possible.  We have a wonderful full life that isn’t perfect by any means, but it’s perfect for us!  I try to inspire others with my story when I can, I try to remind people to cherish the small things they have and not worry so much about what they don’t.  I am happier than I have ever been in my life and I know that is because of what I endured, and learned during the 9 years I spent in prison.

Do you have any regrets?
People ask me that often… I regret so much the pain and sorrow I put my family through, all the worry that they had to endure.  I regret never getting to see my Grandfather again before he passed away and  being able to show him that I was finally OK in life.  I am not proud of the choices I made or where they led me, but I can say with 100% conviction that while I am not proud of who I WAS I am very proud of who I AM. I proud of who I am as a woman, a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister and a friend.  I know that I over came what I needed to in order to be a better person, and that I do not regret at all.

Comments

1. JanaLee Jones
    Falcon, MO
    August 28, 2012, 12:22 pm

Speaking as somebody who knew you as a teenager, and some of the things you had to endure then, I am so proud of you. When you sent the friend request on FB and asked if I remembered you it amazed me because I had been asking others about you and nobody seemed to know where you were or what you were up to. Now that I do know I am so much more then happy we re-connected. You inspire me, Angela; and I know I am not the only one.

2. Johny
    BKK
    August 29, 2012, 3:48 am

Well, it was a prison after all. You didn’t expect it to be a restaurant or hotel, did you? Prison sucks! so is life in prison. But it serves its purpose for being a place for those who ‘deserve’ them.

3. mrskailuakona
    Kailua Kona HI
    August 29, 2012, 4:19 am

Keep the faith Angela. What a heartwarming story I can’t wait to see it on Locked Up Abroad. I wonder HOW you finally got out of the Thai prison serving only 9 years? Isn’t life sweet that you cherish the smallest things like you said plus having the ability to smell a flower, walk on a beach, walk outside, take a bath to finally be free? Not everyone would survive so what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.
    Myself after surviving a medical nightmare conc: my Make A Wish daughter here I am living my dream in Hawaii. I am so happy you finally found happiness to be married with a son you are truly blessed. So lucky you inspire others to stop and appreciate life which is truly unpredictable. Sometimes we question is there a God with so much pain Angela you know there is the day you flew home from your nightmare in Thai.

4. EKK
    THAILAND
    August 29, 2012, 4:42 am

Thank you for sharing your stories and nightmare in Thailand prison. To be honest and frank, jain is not a paradise and a place for good people to live and survive. If so, we, all will be right there. How lucky you were to be jailed in Thailand, if Singapore or Malaysia; definitely you don’t have a chance to share a story. Please learn the lesson from mistake and move forward not criticize what you have passed. I wish you have success and endeavor in long run.

5. Amy Yang
    UK
    August 29, 2012, 5:38 am

Dear Angela

Drugs is illegally for all countries in the world even the big country like USA or small country like Thailand. We are human who shall recognize to resist by anyway.
    If you understand, you must not do anything to bring you go into the prison.

Which country allow you legally carry drug, USA ?

You maybe love Cambodia prison. If you want to try, please do it again in Cambodia…….

6. Prison is not HOME.
    Thai in Switzerland
    August 29, 2012, 6:04 am

You made illegally in Thailand. You asked to get comfortable prison in Thailand. Prison is not HOME, it is the place for punishment.

If you did the same in Singapore, you have no chance to stay alive!

If every prison is comfortable, you have a good and hot food. Why do people need to scare to do illegally?

7. N
    Bangkok
    August 29, 2012, 6:23 am

Well, I would like to tell you that the prison is not a pleasant place and we all know that. It is good enough that you was caught in Thailand. If you happen to deliver drugs to Malaysia or Singapore you wouldn’t even have a chance to keep you life not to mention come out and complain about our prison. I would like to say that I am Thai and I paid load for taxes to keep someone as bad as a drug deliverer as you in our prison even the foods are bad, still it’s from our money. If you don’t like it, you shouldn’t even think about messed up here.

8. Oh
    August 29, 2012, 7:52 am

Oh on. How come you think like this???

Do you understand??

Prison is not hotel or apartment.
    Prison is not hotel or apartment.
    Prison is not hotel or apartment.

9. Boom
    Chachoengsao
    August 29, 2012, 8:34 am

If you live in a prison, but it was comfortable. It is not a prison.

10. muji
    Norway
    August 29, 2012, 1:32 pm

Do you knowr? If your plan was success, how many people would be killed by drug?

11. James
    Bangkok
    August 29, 2012, 11:06 pm

Do You Know if you life in america FED Aresst To you

Jail not 5 star hotel

jail not 5 star

jail not 5 star

And if you in singapore & malaysia immigration you may have life UnderStand??????????

12. PJ
    Bangkok
    August 30, 2012, 12:02 am

agreed to the comment from Muji, norway above. Imagine how many lives would be ruin by your drug. You did something wrong and there were punishment. You’ve have think long and hard before decide to carry the drug.

best wish to you and your family.

13. Welcome to Thailand.
    Bangkok, Thailand
    August 30, 2012, 1:34 am

Thank you very much Angela for sharing this valued experience teaching us all. I am Thai living in Bangkok . I would like to share you something and all the readers here who are not Thai. The Prison in Thailand has so many lever for each prisoner. The worst prison is for drug case, in case of you Angela Drug tansferring, you will go to the worst prison for sure , yes you have told us how is like.

In Thailand, Drug is worse than Killing people but the legal almost never kill any body by drug case (rarely). Most of them are judged to be Kill but finally 10-20 years in Jail instead. Thailand is Buddhist, we belive to give the chance rather than kill… that why you are still alive and having a wonderfull life today.

14. El Rico
    August 30, 2012, 12:58 pm

People, she is not “complaining” about the prison conditions – she is just telling it like it is. It sounds like a lot of Thai people are a little over-sensitive and assume that telling the truth is the same as complaining. It is not. What do you expect her to say? That she had a great time in prison? She fully realizes that she was paying her dues. Just because she got what was coming doesn’t make the maggots taste any better though.

“Thailand is Buddhist, we belive to give the chance rather than kill…”

The death penalty is still around in Thailand, so your comment makes no sense (much like most comments based on religion). In most places, Thailand included, religious philosophy is the opposite of reality.

15. MJ
    August 30, 2012, 1:32 pm

Actually El Rico, Buddhism isn’t a religion. Most Thai’s aren’t being over sensitive, they probably just feel that someone shouldn’t get such a highlight for doing a crime and paying the punishment. Why should she get a documentary and paid because she was convicted as a criminal and spent time in a jail overseas. It’s ridiculous tbh.

16. El Rico
    August 30, 2012, 2:44 pm

@MJ – whether Buddhism is a religion or not comes down to semantics, and is more or less irrelevant. My point is that religious/spiritual/buddhist philosophy does not carry through very well to the general conduct of society and its laws. My point is illustrated by the existence and frequent application of the death penalty in Thailand. Which part of that do you disagree with?

As far as “why” she should “get a documentary”? It’s because enough people are interested in watching it to justify the cost of making it. People don’t have to like everything that is aired on TV – I certainly don’t. What do you suggest, that she should be forbidden from having a documentary made about her?

17. Dan
    Krabi, Thailand
    August 30, 2012, 3:19 pm

a) How were you “force-fed” maggots and starved at the same time? That seems impossible to me. Please explain to me how you can be force-fed and starved.

b) How did you stay the same size in a Thai (!) prison for 9 years? Totally amazing.

c) Why do you refer to the prison you were staying is as the Bangkok Hilton. The Hilton is also referred to as Bang Kwang and is a men’s only prison in Nonthaburi province. I’d have thought you’d have been sent to Samut Prakan Central Women’s Prison, which houses long sentence criminals. It’s not even in Bangkok.

d) Do you not see how seeking financial gain from your actions is glorifying and promoting heroin smuggling? It’s quite sickening. I’ve never committed a criminal act, yet I don’t get any sympathy, awards or back-slapping for that.

e) If you weren’t an American citizen, let’s say you were Nigerian for sake of argument, you’d still be in the prison, with possible chance of parole in 45 years.

f) You never once thought to yourself. “The risks of being caught smuggling heroin in Asia could land me with the death penalty!” Let’s face it, we’re not talking about mere grams or personal use here.

There’s more points, but these are the ones that trouble me the most.

You’re getting financial reward for all of this. Would you even take a moment to consider opening a heroin rehabilitation clinic in your local area to try and redress the balance? (That’s a rhetorical question.)

18. Dan
    August 30, 2012, 3:49 pm

@ El Rico

Why persist in making facts up without even doing even a basic search?

Thailand executed 0 people in 2011 and have executed 0 people so far in 2012.

The last 2 were in 2009 and they were the first for 6 years.

The USA executed 43 people in 2011. With Rick Perry overseeing 13 of those in Texas alone.

The USA executed more people in 1 year than Thailand has in 25 years.

Inane commentary, devoid of any facts really detracts from any form of sensible debate.

19. acaveman
    US
    August 30, 2012, 9:42 pm

Free Thai Language lesson.. Lucky you

20. Joe
    Thailand
    August 31, 2012, 7:49 am

I guess she thought she won a free trip to “THE” Hilton or maybe she thought it would be just like Bridget Jones Diary.

You are VERY lucky you only served 9 years of your LIFE sentence.

21. JanaLee Jones
    Falcon, MO
    August 31, 2012, 3:31 pm

So with all this “your so bad for trying to transport drugs” stuff (and IF you actually LISTENED to the show you would hear her admit that several times)… why is nobody pointing out that if the drugs had not been MADE there they would not need smuggled out??? Really people, look at your own (and this case: your COUNTRIES)closet full of skeletons before you start bashing somebody else.

22. Alex
    Singapore
    September 1, 2012, 10:15 am

I am simply appalled at the amount of discompassionate letters from so many sour and hateful people. The fact is that Angela was a young girl with lower-than-average intelligence and poor common sense, and who probably never thought about the consequences of her actions, under the financial pressure she suffered and the temptation of relieving that pressure with easy money. all of this does not justify the cruel and inhuman treatment to which she and all her prison cells were subjected. Thanks Angela for your narration. Despite what happened, you are an extraordinarily strong woman. Most of us readers would not have been able to endure that hell.

23. Lauren H
    Harrisburg, PA USA
    September 1, 2012, 10:22 am

Um… for all those who are criticizing her for making a documentary: the purpose actually raises AWARENESS that it is a BAD idea to smuggle drugs, and anyone who might have been thinking about doing it who sees this story will almost certainly be deterred! Whether it is “only” 9 years, or life (or even death), this woman’s story will cause the consequences to feel REAL for people who are considering doing it for whatever amount of money. She also said tons of times she regretted doing the crime, and however awful the prison, she learned her lesson and became a better person for it… So who can possibly criticize? For telling her story, thus PREVENTING more people from making same mistake, she is getting flack? That’s ridiculous; I don’t care what country you are from.

24. ron
    australia
    September 2, 2012, 7:39 am

Your home Angela after only spending 9 years of a Death/life sentence. You have a life and family! if you have gotten away with importing those drugs into the US could you say how many would have lost their life their family ?
    @El Rico
    It is exactly the oposite of what you say about Budhism
    “buddhist philosophy does not carry through very well to the general conduct of society” do some research before you speak!

25. bbs
    md
    September 2, 2012, 11:17 pm

She isn’t a good person. She was bullying me on Facebook saying I was intoxicated at a party. Seriously???? You wanted to traffic drugs. I find this pretty amazing. Just 2 months ago she was bashing me and this is her history?? Apparently she learned nothing in those 9 yrs.

26. well um
    los angeles
    September 4, 2012, 12:46 am

I think angela is gorgeous ;)

27. Tapakhone J. Walker
    Bangkok
    September 8, 2012, 9:42 am

You did bring something like heroine to our country, and you expect PRISON to be a comfortable place ? Angela ?

You must be kidding, so next time, I recommend you
    to bring heroine in Singapore or Malaysia. I am quite
    certain, you didn’t come back alive to USA !!!

NOTE; Drugs is illegally for all countries in the world

Kind Regard, Tapakhone J. walker

28. Al
    September 12, 2012, 10:19 pm

I can’t believe all the hateful people who commented here. It’s like they maybe skimmed a sentence or two then bashed her. Bloody idiots!

It’s obvious she isn’t complaining. She isn’t playing the victim. Read the whole post people.

29. ron
    australia
    September 19, 2012, 3:07 am

Lauren H , Angela only did the show because she got paid for it. She has been out for ten years and hasn’t done anything that would show the regret she claims to have. A lot of the story is a bit stretching the truth. Like she didn’t know the laws in Thailand and that she was offered by a friend to do the job and that her boyfriend had told her not to do it, Yet she was doing it because they had split? Did she give the names of her suppliers or those she was supplying to or was she really importing it so she could sell it herself and saying she was niave about the whole thing? For one to be able to get that quantity of drugs has to involved in the drug industry, You dont just wake up one morning and decide you will smuggle drugs!

30. El Rico
    September 19, 2012, 10:00 pm

@Dan: Does that “0″ include the extra-judicial executions for crimes that are, in many non-buddhist countries, considered minor?

Also, as far as I know the US is not a “buddhist country” so the comparison is irrelevant (what does Rick Perry have to do with Thailand or buddhism?). You’re going off on a tangent. Focus.

31. Fire Obama
    Miami, Florida
    September 21, 2012, 1:31 pm

I enjoy watching Locked Up Abroad and Angela’s story was just as fascinating as the others’. It DOES bring awareness and those who were insulted by Angela’s description of prison there are OVERLY sensitive! If she claims it was a rat hole then perhaps it was. I believe it. I’m a world traveler and I’ve see how people live in certain countries (tents, huts, etc.), so I can only imagine how bad it might have been.

The nurse doing the cavity search was reluctant to change her glove for Angela (ewww! for you Thai people, that means “DISGUSTING” and we do not do that in America (even for rapists and/or murderers). There is no excuse for unsanitary prison even for the employees’ health. Let the person do his/her time with dignity!
    So what if Angela was paid for her story?? Good for her! We pay the movie industry for all kinds of goofy stories…at least her’s had some truth and educational insight to it!!!

Thank u Locked up Abroad! I never want to be on your show! LoL

32. Khun Roger
    Thailand
    September 27, 2012, 9:54 am

Only 9 years? Should’ve been more. But, hey! Don’t let the door hit you on your ass on the way out.

Good riddance.

33. dean
    October 27, 2012, 11:24 pm

A number of you people making comments here are heartless bastards for sure….where is your compassion? Nine years is enough to correct her behaviour and wanting her to serve more is just being plain evil. And why jibe her about being fat?

some of the thai people commenting on here appear to have a mental age of about 12

34. Eric
    midwest USA
    November 4, 2012, 4:44 am

I am sorry dean but are you watching these shows, especially the one about angela?

If so then you are idealogically blind or just unwilling to deal with the real world.

First making the comment on posters being mental age of 12. Really. Who is more mental age of 12 posters or angela.

1. who KNEW smuggling drugs is ILLEGAL.
    2. The court system in most of the countries in this series is NOTHING LIKE ENGLAND OR USA a KNOWN FACT.
    3. She KNEW THEY TREAT FOREIGN CRIMINALS WORSE than nationals (and nationals are treated horribly BTW)
    4. The prisons in these countries are KNOW TO BE BRUTAL AND CONDITIONS HORRIBLE.
    5. Sentences for drug smugglers are harsher than in the USA or europe by decades or even death.

Yet she and others make the WILLING CHOICE TO SMUGGLE DRUGS.

Sorry its not heartless or uncompassionate. It is facing the consequences of your actions.

They were adults, knew the risks, the penalties, prison conditions and yet STILL CHOOSE TO SMUGGLE DRUGS.

If they had (example) bought a figurine and it turned out stuffed with drugs and got caught then I would be more compassionate.

But again I reinerate she (as others) KNEW AND DID IT ANYWAY.

Sorry but as the old saying goes.

IF YOU CAN’T DO THE TIME…DON’T DO THE CRIME

35. Mia
    November 11, 2012, 3:48 pm

Yes of course jail is not a hotel! But what she described seriously abuses human rights. There is a difference between jail and having to shower in poo, or having to eat rotten food and having to pay for your way! Not okay. That is what she saying was wrong–not that she expected the Hilton or something.

This was such an interesting story! I’m happy she ended up okay in the end, and even reconciled with the boyfriend (who seemed like an ass–really? Just taking off?)

36. Eric
    midwest USA
    November 13, 2012, 2:21 am

Mia

I am sorry but her pointing out “seriously abuses human rights” and
    “here is a difference between jail and having to shower in poo, or having to eat rotten food and having to pay for your way!” in these countries is like saying that
    (for example) if you stick your hand in a fire you will get burned.

DUH I hate to break it to you Mia but most people above the age of 16 and having ANY ACCESS to the outside world KNOWS THESE FACTS..

Last I checked she is not amish and was not unaware of what she was doing.

Just like SELLING DRUGS OR SMUGGLING DRUGS IN THESE COUNTRIES WILL GET YOU IN THESE JAILS.

Funny this lady when she WAS NOT DRUG RUNNING was NOT IN THE JAIL.

So I am sorry but no sympathy here.

Lets recap

1. She KNEW selling or smuggling drugs was ILLEGAL
    2. She KNEW the courts there hand down SEVERE SENTENCES to drug dealers/smugglers. Especailly to forieners.
    3. She KNEW the prisons WERE HORRIBLE.

Yet (listen closely) SHE CHOOSE TO STILL ENGAGE IN DRUG SMUGGLING AND FINALLY GOT CAUGHT.

So again remember while old the saying still holds true.

IF YOU CANT DO THE TIME DON’T DO THE CRIME.

37. slickchick
    US
    December 15, 2012, 6:14 am

this thread is hysterical, many great posts and varying points of view. after reading them all, my 2 cents is that i notice several of tried to nail home the obvious with capital letters that she knew what she was doing and that it was illegal and prisons arent hotels and bla bla bla. OBVI. She made a bad mistake – and paid for it. She is human. People make mistakes. Some of you talk so matter of factly like you’ve never thrown a gum wrapper on the sidewalk. I agree with the posts that she is obviously regretful of what she did and no doubt feels lucky that she got a second chance to live life a better way. For all the bashers from Thailand, she is in way giving credit to your country and the experience in that it changed and saved her. Who knows what road her life may have taken had she been successful and maybe got a taste for heroin trading and/or use. I dont much of this was rocket science to see either but i guess we all have our own points of view.

I loved the random bash of Rick Perry by the way, LOL. And finally, ya its the show that sells and thats just the way of the world. The producers of that show look for those cases amd find those people. Im sure she didnt running around banging on studio doors to have her documentary filmed once she hit the States. Nor did her little show make her Julia Roberts. These shows dont pay these people movie star saleries. So relax everyone. And have fun ripping my post apart, LOL

38. Linda
    London
    January 17, 2013, 12:41 pm

I am shocked to read some of the comments criticising Angela for doing what – complaining about conditions in Thai prison? Really is that all the reflection this story brought in your heads?
    You didn’t even think about the lack of any human rights in the prison? Not even mentioning many months spend prior to the trial in some horrific conditions, being totally mistreated – only waiting for a trial for months!
    You feel abused? Offended? Because someone has publicly mentioned the awful and humiliating conditions in Thai prisons?
    You people seem so emotionless! I am disgusted. Angela did commit a crime, she did try smuggling drugs, she hasn’t denied it, but she received in my opinion an unproportional punishment to the crime committed (and not only her, but many more people in Thailand and some other countries).
    Serving a sentence in disgusted and human rights lacking conditions does not seem right.
    And yes, death penalty still do exist in Thailand.
    Personally I like watching ‘Locked up Abroad’ series, always very emotional and raising awareness over drug trafficking consequences. Complaining about the program is completely not understandable, this documentary serves educational purposes. It may deter some people who have watched it from committing such crimes.
    And few words about Angela – how amazing it is to know that she survived physically and mentally her 9 years (!) prison sentence and still she could set up a good and decent life for herself. Thank you for sharing your story and many thanks to National Geographic for great documentary. Great job!

39. JANET DETTLER
    BALTIMORE,MD.
    January 28, 2013, 4:38 pm

I,ALSO WAS IN THAT THAI PRISON WITH ANGELA.BUT I DO NOT REMEMBER SOME OF THOSE SITUATIONS AS THE SAME WAY ANGELA DID.

40. Ted
    Northern Virginia
    March 9, 2013, 12:42 pm

I want to comment more on the comments than Angela , its rare to find someone whom condones smuggling heroine .
    To Rico & the Thai’s whom can’t help but reserve judgement ,
    I’m sure a few weeks in inhuman conditions allowed to exist ,will have you sing a different tune.

Alex, Jana lee Jones, Dean, & Slick chick I feel you have a firmer grip on reality . But Thai’s don’t mis- understand what been written here. Angela’s mistake has been paid for 9 years over. If Thailand could control its illegal heroin production. The comments from the Thai’s here might make some sense.

As long as Thai’s are willing to produce the heroin for export , there will be persons such as myself to point out it take’s 2 to Tango. As one Thai put it , “” Plenty of my money was paid in taxes to see to it, you were made to live in hell. Frankly Sir, I think American or a Thai prisoner , you should be getting more for your money.

In parting let’s forget what God teaches us , ” I will forgive whom I wish to forgive , but it is required of you to forgive all men.

41. chantel
    SA
    April 9, 2013, 1:42 am

You are all pathetic.

Do any of you read the Bible????

ONLY GOD MAY JUDGE!
    For the rest of you get a life, if you have not experienced it don’t talk about it as you are JUDGING a book before reading it.

42. Isabelle Ann
    July 28, 2013, 3:10 pm

There is one thing everyone needs to remember. Places like Thailand love American money but at the core, they truly hate us and won’t show you one bit of sympathy. Also, A prison abroad isn’t like a prison in the US. There are no human rights. There are no activists. And they don’t care what we or anyone else thinks. To them, when you commit an illegal act, you are signing away any right you have to being treated in a humane way. Granted, there are those who have a good heart, and who work for these facilities, but more often than not, you will not encounter this, but the extreme other end of it. I don’t like to travel abroad for this reason.

In this case, Angela was guilty. However, there are cases where many have been imprisoned abroad who are innocent. Truly innocent.

As for the disparaging remarks made on this page toward Angela, look at the source. Look at where most are coming from. There is no soul in some of these people. There is no compassion or heart. Angela made a mistake. She didn’t deserve to be given food with maggots and to be treated like a subhuman species. Jail should not only be a punishment but a place for rehabilitation as well. And for that, you need educated and compassionate, well informed individuals working within the system. And good luck with that!

Don’t travel abroad!

And if you do, be very careful!

43. Jack Flash
    August 9, 2013, 10:11 pm

When will people wake up and understand that series like this (and Banged Up Abroad) are ENTERTAINMENT and employ writers to “embellish” the truth of these losers. How often would the “victims” stories be even slightly interesting unless the truth was stretched beyond belief. I especially enjoy the episodes where the “stars” pull off an incredible escape and make it all the way back to their home country. Maybe they get a bit more $$$ from the producers if they make their adventure more dramatic.

Total BS–don’t believe a word of what these shows claim to be accurate portrayals of actual “stories”…

44. accomodation koh samui
    October 11, 2013, 5:46 am

Fantastic submit. I used to be examining frequently this specific blog site that i’m empowered! Very helpful information and facts particularly the remainder area :) I actually deal with similarly info a lot. I had been in search of the following specific information for a extremely long period. Thank you and greatest associated with luck.

45. Mir Sola
    South Africa
    November 25, 2013, 11:57 am

Watching the episode about Angela Carnegie, it amazed me how often she was portrayed as the victim in every situation, right from the start with the ‘unhappy childhood’ scenario.
    The fact is, Carnegie was not a victim. She was a perpetrator of one of the most brutal crimes in our era – trafficking heroin. That parcel in her bag was set to unleash death and destruction and tear apart countless families, and she knew that. Her motivation was pure, unadulterated greed.
    Nine years was a very lenient sentence for the horror that she tried to commit in order to enrich herself.
    My sympathy level for Ms Carnegie is at zero.

46. Ellen
    Chicago,Il
    December 16, 2013, 5:01 am

I am always amazed by these shows-how people truly think that nothing will happen to them. You were trafficking drugs period. There are a lot of people who have bad childhoods, low self esteem etc who do not CHOOSE to do this.
    I do not believe that in all the 9 years you were there all you ate were maggots. If so, why do you look the same? You would have lost a bunch of weight if that was the actually case.
    Are you surprised that the prisons are bad? We have no right to tell another country how to treat their people in prison. If you did not smuggle drugs you would not have been there.
    You wanted the money period. You got caught period.
    As the old saying goes: If you are in Rome you must play by Rome rules.

47. Dawn
    Texas
    January 31, 2:24 am

FIRST OFF FOR ALL THE PPL THAT R TALKING BAD ABOUT ANGELA you shouldn’t She paid her dues..And also let me tell yall something unless u experience what we had to go thtough there dont be judging..ive never shared my story because I was threatened horribly if I had. We all lost something or someone while we were there I was being beaten by another prisoner was horrible. That took place before I went to the big prison..And rhe food that Angela mentions she is right..And if we had any kind of visitors come into the prison we were all locked down in what I call a mess hall.We were not to look at them or talk to them.I only wish I could have told my story and more along time ago. But when ones life is threatened I was scared So plz instead of being mean to Angela and bashing her stop..Cuz you have no clue what the hell we all went through..Im so glad ti have found u Angela and kniw u are home safe girl..

48. lorraine
    England
    February 8, 1:06 am

You said in your filming of banged up abroad that you felt ” so scared,,so afraid, not able to function anymore and im so distraught, THAT IS EXACTLY HOW WE FELT MY HUSBAND AND I WHEN WE FOUND OUT OUR PRECIOUS SON HAD BECOME A HERION ADDICT,you should be deeply ashamed of yourself,there are no words to describe what i think should happen to people like you,i just hope that if ever you have a child of your own you don’t experience the heartache this smugglers,dealers,and this drug has done not only to our son but also to his family . DRUGS DESTROY LIVES

49. gordon lehnert
    lakeland, fl
    February 19, 5:44 pm

I am searching for my estranged wife, Sharon Lehnert (Robinson-maiden name) (Sherman-previous married name.). She was arrested in Bangkok in the late 70′s early 80′s for smuggling Herion. I found this out through the State Dept. She was sentanced to 40yrs. I no nothing about anything that happened that led her to do what she did. She was a spetite girl about 5’3″ 105lbs. Very pretty. I lost her address trough the years and was never allowed contact with her althouigh she did list me as next of kin on her travel papers. I don’t know if she is still in prison although I did find out that if you were caught with more than a kilo in Thailand that you had to do the whole sentance. I don’t know how much she was caught with. She would be about 64 years old if she is still alive. I believe her sentance would be up or close to it. I cannot locate any of her afmily, her parents are deceased, she had several msisters, Joyce, Janetr and others I don’t know their name. Also had a brother named darrell or Dwayne. Any info would help. The State Dept will no longer helkp me because of the Freedom of Info. Act. Anybody with any info, please help me. She goes by Sherry or Chantel. Don’t Judge, addicts are sick, most can’t control it. And NOBNODY deserves to be imprisoned in a place like Thailand. As I said, don’t judge, the most popular drug among the upper middle and upper class on the East Coast right now is Herion. It could happen to you, your sister or your mother. Millions of Americans are hooked on Rx Opiotds as I speak. Again, any information on Sherry Please contact me. Thanks and all should be in your prayers. Gordon J. Lehnert

50. Kayti
    US
    April 3, 1:04 pm

The series is completely inspirational to me… who doesn’t love a good redemption story? PS what was that weird post that read Angela is a woman “with below average intelligence?” That was such a strange thing to write!