Meet Dr. Jan Pol, a veterinarian with over 40 years of experience treating family pets and livestock across rural Michigan.  Dr. Pol and his wife, Diane, run the business, and with the help from their staff of trained professionals, they care for over 19,000 clients, some driving a hundred miles away for Dr. Pol’s expertise with animals.

The day begins with a waiting room packed with animals and owners. A teenager walks in with his curious dog who picked the wrong thing to chew on-a spiral notebook that has become stuck in the dog’s gums. With some anesthesia and a few quick moves, Dr. Pol removes the spiral metal and sends the dog that ate the homework on his way.

A farm calls sends Dr. Pol and his son Charles out to see a sick horse who is losing weight. After chasing the horse in circles, he is finally able to earn its trust and leads him away for inspection. One quick peek in the mouth and Dr. Pol knows if he shaves down the pointed teeth, the horse will begin eating again. Another problem solved!

Back in the clinic, Dr. Pol is busy with clients when the tornado sirens start blaring. The whole clinic, including the owners and pets, must move to the basement for their safety and ride out the storm. With Diane Pol at home miles away updating the team, all the staff and crew can do is wait as the tornado tears through central Michigan.

Join Dr. Pol for a live Facebook chat today at 4:30!

And don’t miss the season premiere of Dr. Pol: Polnado Warning, Saturday August 25th at 10P et/pt.

Comments

1. AnimalsDeserveBetter
    August 28, 2012, 11:53 pm

Tonight was my first viewing of the Dr. Pol show, and it will be the last. I saw this vet kick the horse’s rear leg to move it out of the way and subsequently lift the leg into the air and let it freefall to the ground — acts which I consider abusive in themselves, but even more heinous in light of the fact they were committed prior to an understanding of why the horse was

uunable to stand. Regardless of any positive opinions held by Dr. Pol’s clients, National Geographic should NOT produce a show where a VET mistreats a downed horse, no matter the degree or “good” intentions. Far, far too many animals are abused: National Geographic needs to move out of the reality show sewer and air programs that feature people acting in a respectful, caring manner towards animals. Please cancel the “Incredibly

2. AnimalsDeserveBetter
    August 29, 2012, 12:01 am

Please cancel “The Incredibly-Disturbing Dr. Pol”.

3. TAM
    USA
    August 29, 2012, 5:32 pm

How unfortunate that National Geographic glorifies a vet who gives outdated and inhumane care. He has been disciplined by the Michigan board for “Negligance – incompetance”. It’s public record – check the website for the board. Shame on you National Geographic.

4. Jennifer
    Ohio
    September 21, 2012, 1:32 pm

I agree with the above comments. I have watched several episodes of Dr. Pol’s extremely unincredible practice. It is definitely not a show that any channel, especially National Geographic, should be televising. It would be great to see all the advances in medicine and behavior the veterinary profession has seen in the last 15 years. I have worked in the veterinary field as a practice manager for over 10 years with two INCREDIBLE veterinarians and feel that this show is such a disgrace. PLEASE TAKE THIS SHOW OFF THE AIR!!!!

5. kitty greco
    franklin pa
    September 23, 2012, 6:35 pm

i just love the show i bet they are great mom and dad i would love to work with him i learn alot . i think everbody are the show are great . thank you for a great show

6. Maddy
    Massachusetts
    October 16, 2012, 3:24 pm

I seriously doubt that Dr Pol would see 100 animals/day if he was abusive. Too many people love their critters and would not tolerate anyone abusing them. We are not talking little “Fifi” who just came from the boutique. The POL team deal with a hard core animal practice and it takes mucsle, brawn, and brains to get the job done. Role up your sleeves and go to work. You might just have a real awakening of what it takes. It’s real practice in the real world….rural Michigan!

7. ARLINEZ
    new york
    October 18, 2012, 9:17 am

i’ve been watching Dr Pol for weeks now and being from NY I try to understand what he has to deal with. Most times the cows and horses are in distress when he arrives. These farmers wait til the last minute and are not going to transport these animals to a city for treatment. He tries to teach these farmers how to deal with circumstances before they get critical. This show is educational. I am an animal lover and respect Dr Pol for the treatment he provides to large animals that would die without his care.

8. nicole
    texas
    October 24, 2012, 11:05 am

I love watching Dr. Pol i believe he is a great vet. I wish we had vets like him over here

9. Gracie Lang
    December 20, 2012, 9:58 pm

I love your show when I get older I want to be a vet. I love when you have shows with cows and horses on it I love horses and ride them to. I live on a huge farm I love all the animals. Good job Charles. I would love to come and see your vet clinic but I live in Viking Alberta.

10. Gracie Lang
    December 20, 2012, 10:11 pm

I think the show should go on for ever if it could keep up the good work.

11. mckenzie
    new york
    January 5, 2013, 8:54 pm

i feel like you put abuse on animals

12. mckenzie
    albany new york
    January 5, 2013, 8:55 pm

and your son

13. Ginger
    pelham nc
    January 12, 2013, 9:14 pm

I am watching the show 1/12/2013 and I just saw Dr. Pol castrate 3 goats with no anesthesia? Am I correct? I do hope there was some used and the goats were just ‘fussing’.

14. Lola
    Nyc
    January 21, 2013, 2:07 pm

Just started to watch- but when I saw the episode with the baby goats having their nuts cut off bone to steel horrifying and their little screams echo and make me so angry!!!!!

15. Nancy
    Dayton, Ohio
    February 2, 2013, 11:14 pm

I grew up on a farm where we had many cattle, horses and sheep. What I see Dr. Pol doing on his show was all very normal on our farm. Anesthesia? Rarely, if ever, used and rarely necessary. Animals are tough. City folks don’t always understand.

16. Judith Wilsie
    Manchester,NH
    February 9, 2013, 11:13 pm

this series needs to be cancelled.I have never seen such a medevil way of treating animals the way he does. For a vet not to have a animal hooked up to a heart monitor or oxygen when doing surgery on it is barbarrick.DR Pol and the other vets who work in his pratice should have thier licences taken away from them.

17. Cathy Pfarr
    Seattle, WA
    March 16, 2013, 8:28 pm

I too, think this series should be cancelled. I’m appalled at the gruff treatment of the animals under his care. He may have a lot of experience, but his lack of compassion is startling for a veterinarian. I’m truly surprised that Nat Geo found this worthy creating a series. Farm animals may be hearty (as suggested above), but they are sentient beings capable of pain and distress.

18. Jacey
    AZ
    April 19, 9:56 pm

Equine vets everywhere: Please enlighten Dr. Pol! I recently saw an episode where a mare was experiencing laminitis after foaling and refused to stand up. You could see the crescent shaped bleeding/bruising of the coffin bone pressing down. The owner requested euthanasia because the mare was in so much pain. Instead, Dr. Pol sent a farrier out to REMOVE sole from the feet…the only thing that remained separating that coffin bone from the ground. Needless to say, blood started pouring out and they ended up losing her. He seems like a really nice guy, but not someone people should have working on their horses.