Hobbyist metal detectorists “King George” Wyant and his buddy Tim “The Ringmaster” Saylor travel the country looking for lost relics of history on ‘Diggers.’ They understand that every item has a story to tell, and are on a quest to unearth history that would otherwise be forgotten.

A Word From the Diggers, KG and Ringy:

Treasure hunting is a great recreational sport that should be enjoyed by anyone that wishes to participate. It should make you feel like a kid again— like you are on that clichéd quest for buried pirate treasure. The detecting experience should be shared by friends, talked about, and laughed about. In doing so, respecting private property and obtaining permission will go a long way to keeping sites open for detectorists.

Why We Hunt for Treasure
As you know, we all hunt treasure relentlessly and with great passion, and although we have assembled what some would consider awesome piles of coins and artifacts, the truth is that after a lifetime of treasure hunting, the cost of equipment, gas, food, and other expenses outweighs the true value of the objects by a landslide. In other words, we are not in this hobby to make a living off of the objects we dig up, and they couldn’t, even if that was indeed our goal.

We got into this game because we enjoy the thrill of the hunt and the tangible history that comes with digging up, say, a well-worn 1897 Barber dime. While worth next to nothing and easily obtainable at the coin shop for a few bucks, it is precious and incredible to us, because we can hold it in our hands, feel the smoothness of the coin, and imagine who might have lost it and why. Sometimes it’s the small, insignificant find that can be the spark to ignite a lifetime of passion for history, collecting, and learning. Not to mention, being outdoors with friends and family, exercise, fresh air, and being away from the TV for a while is good too.

So with that in mind, here are some tips to keep metal detecting a positive and enjoyable hobby:

1. Get Permission Before You Hunt
Always ask the landowner or homeowner before you hunt a site. This should really go without saying: Trespassing is illegal. If you don’t get permission, you are breaking the law. Note that state and federal lands are usually off limits, as well as national monuments. Some city parks and public beaches are open to detectorists, but you need to check for possible restrictions before hunting on any particular public site.

2. Fill in Your Holes / Clean up After Yourself
Every site is unique. The terrain can vary from loose sand to rocks, yards, lawns, fields, beaches, etc. Landowners are also unique. Some don’t care if you if you dig trenches, while others have meticulously groomed lawns that they don’t want disturbed. No matter where you hunt, go into the site planning to leave it looking better than when you arrived. Take your dug trash, as well as any other trash you encounter with you (whether it’s yours or not). Note that there are many ways to dig an object from the ground. If it’s shallow enough, you can pop it out without even digging a traditional plug. In rocky, dirt fields, you often can’t dig a neat, traditional plug, so you need to adapt to the terrain the best you can.

3. Return Lost Items
If you run across tools, keys, or personal objects specifically lost by the landowner, be sure to return them. Before you hunt, ask them if there is anything they might have lost that you could help them find. It’s just one more way to be helpful to your neighbors, and you will likely be invited back with such behavior.

4. Get Rich Quick Myth
No matter what you have heard, hobby metal detecting is not a sensible “get rich quick scheme” any more than buying a lottery ticket is a sensible retirement plan. By the time you add your gas, food, time, batteries, and other expenses, you will almost always lose money on a day’s hunt, even if you find something interesting or “semi-valuable”. While it is wonderful to find silver and gold, you are bound to be disappointed if you are not out there for reasons beyond financial success. Team ATC rarely sells or trades anything we find, so we are obviously in this for the love of history, adventure, and the general idea of having fun with friends. If we were in it purely for profit, it would make much more sense to go to the coin store and just buy coins as an investment.

5. Archaeological and National Historic Sites
Archaeological dig sites should be left alone. Plain and simple. While most of us have absolutely no interest in intruding on such sites, looting national monuments, or raiding tombs, it’s still worth noting. These sites have been determined to be of particular historical significance, and should be left to professional archaeologists to study. This includes our national monuments and other highly important and/or ancient sites. While extremely unlikely, there is always a chance that you could stumble onto a potentially significant or important burial site or find. If you run into anything you believe is of serious historical importance, please contact the proper authorities so they can determine how best to handle the site. Many hobbyists have made incredible finds that have contributed to our historical knowledge base. And while there are many differing opinions on what should and should not be considered off limits to hobby detectorists, ranging from nothing to everything, please respect the current laws and sites. Only detect where you have obtained permission to hunt. This will help ensure that detectorists will continue to have access to the practically infinite number of yards, fields, and other sites of lesser importance that will never become archaeological dig sites, and to potentially important sites that would never be discovered without us.

6. Coin Cleaning / Coin Scratching
Any coin you believe is extremely rare or potentially valuable should be professionally cleaned, if cleaned at all. Obviously, over 99.9% of the coins we dig up are worth way less than $20, so we are not always as careful as we could be during the excitement of a dig. If we see that we have a wheatie or a rosie, and we know it’s not going to be worth a million dollars, we generally don’t feel the need to treat it like the crown jewels. You, on the other hand, may treat each of your finds as delicately as you deem necessary.

7. Running out of Treasure
The so-called “issue” of popularizing the hobby so much that we will begin running out of treasure to dig up is laughable. There are so many objects in the ground that none of us could ever find them all in 100 lifetimes, and they are constantly being replenished. Even as I write this sentence, someone is unknowingly dropping a coin or a gold ring onto a sandy beach. It has been written that there are more coins in the ground currently than there are in circulation. Do the math. Believe me. You are not going to run out of signals.

8. Detector Choice
Garrett/Minelab/Fisher/Whites/etc. There are lots of different and excellent brands of machines that are capable of finding buried objects. Team ATC uses a variety of brands and models. We have, and continue to use, several different brands. The guys here in Montana can help you with questions about certain Garrett, Minelab, and White’s detectors. For advice on other brands, we recommend you talk to an expert user of that particular brand.

9. Planting Coins
The answer is no. We do not plant stuff. Everything shown in the TV show, videos, and books was really found by someone in Team ATC. Anyone who buys coins and claims they dug them up is starved for attention and needs to find something else to do. If we were planting coins, I would have “found” a gold coin or ten by now! K.G., Bones, T.O., and Ringy? None of us have a gold coin yet. We all want one, but we’re not pathetic enough to plant one and fake it.

For more on responsible metal detecting and the Diggers, visit Anacondatreasures.com

All-new episodes of Diggers are coming soon in 2013! Stay tuned.

Comments

1. Laurie Welts
    September 5, 2012, 6:55 pm

Saw Diggers one night, but can’t find it any where so I can DVR it. What a great show. I had to have some surgery, and would love to watch this show!!

Thank you for your assistance with this matter!!

Laurie Welts

2. Nick F.
    Southern California
    September 24, 2012, 3:31 pm

Just found this show can’t wait to see more.

3. Digggggers! - Page 3
    January 1, 2013, 10:04 pm

[...] webpage before they passed judgement? http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/diggers/ http://tvblogs.nationalgeographic.co…m-the-diggers/ Keppy likes this. nōn omne quod nitet aurum est Reply With [...]

4. Rafael
    USA
    January 1, 2013, 10:57 pm

The show diggers is very bad.
    Them guys are clowns .
    If your going to do a show do it right!!!
    Horrible show

5. Rafael
    January 1, 2013, 11:01 pm

I can’t believe NG would allow these fools on their show.
    gives real metal detectors a bad name.

6. Dave A.
    indiana
    January 2, 2013, 12:09 am

Diggers is a more enjoyable show than the other so called “Savage & Savage, Back Yard Diggers”. That show gave us in the hobby a bad image. We simply don’t want to explain to land owners all the time that we are not going to bring in back-hoes to dig, and that we rarely find anything of value, so we cannot afford to pay to hunt!

7. ROGER DALE LOFTIS
    GLADEWATER TX "FRIENDSHIP AREA"
    January 2, 2013, 7:42 am

I SAW A LITTLE OF YOUR VIDEO . THERE IS A GUY IN GILMER TX NAME KEITH WILLS HE IS A GENIUS WHEN IT COMES TO METAL DETECTING AND KNOWING AND FINDING OUT ABOUT THE HISTORY OF THE AREA.HE HAS MORE FINDS THEN ANYONE I HAVE EVERY SEEN OR HEARD OF. HE WORKS ON METAL DETECTORS AND HE HAS BEEN IN THIS BUSNIESS FOR OVER 35 YEARS YOU COULD LEARN A LOT FROM HIM BUT YOUR BETTER HURRY HES GETTING OLDER AND NOT IN HIS PRIME ANY MORE. HES TRULEY A TREASURE OF IMFORMATION. HE WOULD BE A METAL DETECTOR USERS BEST FIND I GURANTTEE.

8. Chuck Glenn
    Texas
    January 2, 2013, 11:52 pm

Fun show. Here’s a way to use Google Earth with old maps to find a good hunting spot. Play the Metal Detecting game while your there!

Enjoy!

9. Tiana Little
    Montana
    January 7, 2013, 8:25 pm

These guys are good people, love their show. Will watch every Tuesday:)

10. Rhaven Corrigan
    Rapid City SD
    January 9, 2013, 1:19 am

I just finished watching the show and find it fun and interesting. I too, along with my aunt enjoy the hobby of metal detecting and have bought detectors last year. But I have to ask, whats the hand held detector you were using? The name for it and its cost ? Looks like a good little helper, rather than holding the your larger detector down low and trying to run it over the stop again and again. Its been a pain so your hand held is something I think I could really use and need. Please let me know. Thanks Rhaven from Rapid City SD

11. Cassandra Robinson
    California
    January 9, 2013, 10:38 pm

Love the show concept -too bad they put fourteen year old adults to run the detectors. I can hardly stand to watch it with those two clowns running around over reacting every two minutes. I bet they have a lot of knowledge between them but they act like idiots.

12. Bryan
    North Carolina
    January 15, 2013, 5:08 pm

I love the hobby and was very interested in seeing the show. I will tune in regularly to watch. I do wish the guys would tone it down a little bit when they find something. I think it would definitely pull in more of a dedicated following.

13. Gerry
    Idaho
    January 15, 2013, 11:22 pm

These 2 Montana boys sure keep you excited and wanting to see more. Best metal detecting show yet of all the different ones I have seen. Yes they get a little crazy, but I do too when I dig a really cool find. The tool they use to help locate their find in the hole is called a “Pinpointer Probe”. I use them myself when detecting for Coins/Relics. Minelab ProFind 25 & Garrett Pro Pointers are very popular. Keep up the great shows and definetly keep these guys for future hunts. Thanks for allowing us to feel the excitement and joy. The returning of the ring to the original owner is priceless.

14. Linda Diaz
    el paso
    January 19, 2013, 1:40 am

What type or name of the metal detectors do they use in the show I want to buy one but would like a reliable good one..does anybody know what kind of detector they use!

15. joe love
    luther oklahoma
    January 19, 2013, 11:14 pm

I love the show i am new to the metal detecting game but i love to hunt and ive always wanted a hobby. i dont do it for the money i do it for the fun of finding the past. dont listen to these bad comments it is a great show , i only wish you all gave more advise on finding things and what detectors to buy

16. Rod
    Ca
    January 21, 2013, 5:31 pm

I have been a metal detectorist 35 plus years and have hunted with some very good detector operaters and in all my years of hunting I have never jumped into a tree or went sliding across the grass when I have recovered a nice coin or artifact and have never hunted with anyone who has done this. Keep it real, don’t make detectorists look like idiots.

17. Dave
    Oregon
    January 21, 2013, 5:56 pm

I was shocked to see those two clowns metal detect.
    What was all that hyped-up elation over finding an
    old coin? I mean, jumping and dancing around.
    What a way to create negative concepts about a
    very interesting and rewarding hobby.

18. Sam
    Ohio
    January 23, 2013, 9:41 pm

The show just feels totally made up. Even the guys expressions seems Fake. Hate it.Come on nat geo. You can do better.

19. Gary
    Pa
    January 24, 2013, 5:31 pm

I like the show, but why do the guys have to act like such jerks? And what’s up with all the silly abbreviations???

20. matt
    umatilla,or
    January 28, 2013, 9:30 pm

Love the show,you gave really good advice. Been hot and heavy into the hobby last 2 years,you spend 4-5 hours of hard core hunting (granted you do your homework)two or three silver coins.Times that by three for wheat pennies,I use a e-tract from Minelab.Its not to get rich,as the boys said the joy of touching relics. Inner in the ground for decades. Matt

21. Brent
    PA
    January 30, 2013, 9:58 pm

The show is kinda cool, but any credit these guys get for being decent detectorists they lose by acting like rock heads. I found a 1794 large cent in vg condition once while detecting and i didn’t go running around looking like an amateur jumping up and down. That’s just redick! Come on Nat Geo tone these two rookies down a bit. It’s hard enough to gain access to sites as it is without having to have the stigma of these two clowns to contend with now.

22. Frank calistro
    Bakersfield
    February 1, 2013, 2:54 pm

I’ve been detecting since 1975 love it. Everyone know deep down inside when they find something good they want to jump up and down and run around don’t be a hater. They are bring our hobby out to the public

23. Mike
    Mclean, VA
    February 1, 2013, 4:54 pm

Does anyone know if the guys are usually allowed to keep the stuff they find or is it standard to have to give it to the property owner?

24. Doug
    Lake Isabella, CA
    February 1, 2013, 5:08 pm

What are the pro’s and con’s useing a Big Foot coil?

Doug

25. Kevin
    Indiana
    February 3, 2013, 12:54 pm

I would like to know what kind of pinpointer the guys use.thanks

26. Bill Baker
    Wisconsin
    February 3, 2013, 3:43 pm

I like the show.Kind of silly sometimes.Plan on getting a detector after I heal from my back surgery it will be a couple months in time for spring.What kind of detector would you suggest I get? Thanks,Bill

27. Deb
    Molson, WA
    February 5, 2013, 11:17 pm

Our 11 year old son would like to know what it takes to get you all to come dig around our neck of the woods? We found a brass coin about the size of a quarter here on our old homestead land. It has an eagle on one side with 20 stars circling it. The eagle has its wings spread with an armor on its chest and oak leaves under. On the other side it says NO CASH VALUE and a small g and small d with a small line at the top of the d that makes it look like a musical note. Do you know what kind of coin this might be?
    We do know that the man that homesteaded here worked for a mine and we found blasting caps from San Fransico in our old log barn.

28. Richard
    Texas
    February 8, 2013, 8:18 pm

Love the show! It is hard to find folks with as much energy and passion for a hobby turned job as you two! I have been reading comments from the web that condemn NGC and you guys for the show the content and entire idea of detecting because it is Commerical, and not academic enough in their mind. Relics undiscovered are not teaching anyone or bring enjoyment to anyone. Those folks need to put their ivory tower swords back in the sheath and remember that things that are under the ground no matter how historical or important are……under the ground! You do not have to have a PHD to make discoveries that change mans understanding of history or that teach. Keep up the great work! We will continue to watch because we enjoy the information and greatly greatly respect the kid in you!

29. I R Spence
    Texas
    February 11, 2013, 1:39 pm

what brand of detector is used on the Diggers tv show?

30. Mike
    Central Illinois
    February 12, 2013, 10:33 pm

Clowns……. Detector sounds clearly added in post production. Clearly there is a hidden team with detectors. Now way they could pull what they do out of the ground in the time they claim to with just two clowns running around. Go read #9 in the blog: someone finds the stuff and they call a clown over to “find” it.

How about a real reality show, something intended for people with an IQ over 80.

31. Greg
    Birmingham, AL
    February 13, 2013, 2:20 pm

I really like this show. I like the energy they have about finding relics. All the negative comments are coming from IDIOTS!! I get excited myself when I find an interesting find. Maybe, the seasoned Detectorist need to start covering their holes & show some excitement.

32. Bill
    Pinehurst, NC
    February 14, 2013, 11:25 am

My kids and I love your show! You guys are hilarious and watching your show makes for great “armchair adventure”. You provide a nice balance of fun and history and promote ethical detecting. Keep up the good work. Let there be “ROUNDNESS”!

33. Bridget Creek
    Chrisman, Illinois
    February 16, 2013, 9:35 pm

I just watched Diggers on 2/15/13, 1st time I have ever seen it. Very intriguing. My husband and I are addicted to metal detecting we use an xterra505 and has been a hobby we enjoy doing together and keep everything we find including a men’s circa 1890 men’s gold pocket watch along with silver half dollars dating 1901. Soooo exciting to find, but also sad wondering who did it belong to and 100yrs later recovered with modern technology. Love your show, can’t wait for upcoming episodes. Happy Hunting.

34. jeremy moran
    oklahoma
    February 26, 2013, 10:52 pm

Saw the show and was instantly drawn in by the possibility of what could be found. I ordered a fairly inexpensive bounty hunter detector its really easy to use and the first day i went out and used it i found many bew coins but the coolest were a 1938 wheat penny and a 1943 2 franc coin right here in my yard in oklahoma. Im definitly hooked.

35. Rob
    Northern California
    February 27, 2013, 11:48 pm

It’s upbeat, funny, exciting, educational and really captures the rush of finding a treasure (no matter how small.) I really couldn’t care to watch a couple of experts wandering around like emotionless zombies, earnestly discussing each discovery, never daring to make some lame joke, or even crack a smile. These guys know their stuff, and would be a hoot to spend an afternoon detecting with.

36. mike powell
    griffin ga
    March 2, 2013, 1:20 pm

i just began detecting last year a little and was glad to find this show. I notice he said that all the objects found were discovered by “team members”. That probaly means that “hits” might have been initialy been found by production teams and left for the “stars” to uncover show the interesting finds. Thats ok by me, it is a tv show to entertain us, a specific audience.

37. Ronald Joseph Fredette
    March 2, 2013, 2:12 pm

I find the show interesting and amusing
    I have been metal detecting for over 25 years,however having to due kit in my spare time or while on vacation.I have a pretty good collection of finds,including gold earrings of the by gone area while hunting with my 2 brothers and 2 of my nephews
    owning 2 garrets,a mine lag,1 bounty hunter and an older whites, I choose my Garrets for serious hunting .
    I think the boys on the hunters over price there finds especially coins that would be my biggest gripe about the show.
    Good luck to all and enjoy “the sport” great exercise,and the well being of being in the fresh air and enjoying the company of family and friends if you choose to have them join you.

38. Diane Oliver
    Machesney park Il
    March 2, 2013, 2:33 pm

Some of you sound like a bunch of elite snobs..It’s a show and I love it .My 9 year old grandson loves it he wants to get a detector and so do I.

39. Bob Morrison
    Upper Marlboro Maryland
    March 3, 2013, 7:23 am

These idiots are so stupid, “yea baby”. And the only thing they can do is read teleprompters, scripts, practice their idiotic acting skills and go along with the 100% staged show.

40. Leon
    Arkansas
    March 5, 2013, 5:47 pm

I haven’t seen the show. I just recently got cable after years of using just and antenna. I also am a treasure hunter (to be more accurate, trash digger) ha. I appreciate the above article. Especially getting permission, filling in your holes… If you don’t already, please repeat some of this on your show on a regular basis. Recently I went to a sight and found someone had already beaten me to it. They left huge holes and left all the trash they found laying all over the ground. This tarnishes our reputation as hobbyists. Growing up, I knew of a lot of good fishing holes. But because so many people trashed the areas and left gates open, now nobody gets to fish or swim in these treasured places. The same thing will happen to us if we don’t spread the word.

41. ohio hickey
    ohio
    March 5, 2013, 10:55 pm

Plz..I am half blind but even I can see where the the dirt,grass,gravel on almost every “find” has already been dug up and re buried..I enjoyed the show until, more times than not it seemed .put on.I have had my detector over 46 yrs.it is not easy on the back.lol

42. Sonny
    California
    March 6, 2013, 12:48 pm

I watched once and threw the remote at the tv. Bunch of idiot ass wipes.

43. Ethan
    California
    March 6, 2013, 1:07 pm

Who smacked KG in the face with a frying pan?? Ring Master? Really? Let’s see how unprofessional Nat Geo can help metal detecting appear. What are you thinking with these dunderheads?!?!?
    Yeah, I know “don’t be hating”.
    HATER AND DAMN PROUD!
    If you don’t hate something during the course of your life, your full of shite!

44. Sonny
    California
    March 6, 2013, 1:10 pm

I watched once and threw the remote at the tv. Bunch of idiots. C’mon Nat Geo!! Fail

45. Sonny
    CA
    March 6, 2013, 1:14 pm

I dislike the show based on how the “detectors” behave. Very childish and obviously staged. I’d probably like the show if it wasn’t so….cheesy.
    That’s my opinion.

46. [...] that ethical guidelines for responsible metal detecting would be referred to during the program and on the show’s web page.  The archaeologists indicated that the show could not include any commercial sale of [...]

47. Tristan
    OH
    March 6, 2013, 11:16 pm

I actually like this show even though everyone has been disliking it because of all the “childish behavior” the diggers have. I don’t think they’re childish. I would be excited to if I found and old relic or coin, and I bet you guys would too. This is one of my favorite TV shows of all time and I look forward to future episodes! :)

48. Jeff
    Kansas
    March 8, 2013, 1:12 pm

The show piqued my interest at first, but after watching a couple of episodes I couldn’t continue enduring the dumb antics of Wyant and Saylor. Too bad. The concept of looking for artifacts with metal detectors is interesting, but this show seems targeted at a child’s mentality. It is too immature for adults, and ends up being an embarrassment for National Geographic.

49. GP
    Michigan
    March 8, 2013, 11:34 pm

Hating is one thing, being another useless web tool is another! This show isn’t just about finding artifacts in the ground, its about history, and the hunt. If you cant get excited about finding interesting relics, then go back to playing your video games, blogging, or whatever social network hole you crawled out from. Just finding and getting permission to dig sites, and detecting, is more hard work than you will ever do watching TV. If you don’t like the show, then you won’t like the hobby, its not about money, its about self accomplishment. But if all you can do is complain, I have an idea, go make your own TV series! I’m sure your life is so amazing that Nat Geo would love to make a show about you!

50. JG
    Hawaii
    March 19, 2013, 9:39 pm

I’ve been a detectorist since about 1988 mostly hunting for lost rings in the ocean. Then I got into searching for coins. relics etc and joined a T.H. club in Arizona. They stress the code of ethics and we all enjoy and celebrate a good find. BUT those BOZOs on the Diggers show WAY OVER ACT it. It’s like since they are on TV they have to build the suspense like the House Hunters, Flea Mrt Hunters, Pickers etc where they say “It’s worth……..wait for it……..wait for it….go to commercial……then: it’s worth…….wait again ….X$$$$. Over the top anticipation and HYPE. The Diggers need to tone it down and remind viewers of the ethics of THing (slang for treasure hunting) and that you don’t find a hand full of treasure in a 30 min TV show. Metal detector sales have spiked, no doubt to SOME less than scrupulous people. Like some above said “too many disrespectful people spoiled a good fishing or swimming area”, Same with rock hound sites. It takes months of research, years of practice, and hours of digging JUNK to produce one wheat penny, much less a valuable artifact or coin. MOST silver coins dug are worth little more than their melt value, but are INVALUABLE to the finder after spending tons of time and energy to research and find it. You wonder how it was lost, what it would buy back then and MOST coins have virtually NO archaeologic value. Certainly some relics can tell a story and could lead to a historical site. Metal detecting is a GREAT hobby and both the Diggers and Savage hunters are interesting, but remember,,,,,,wait for it……IT’S TELEVISION ENTERTAINMENT not REALITY. I believe they DO find some goodies, but 99% of the video ends up on the cutting room floor. No THers I know would jump up and scream ‘I FOUND GOLD” It just makes them and the metal detecting community look foolish. I have mixed feelings about the TV shows. While it is my interest, I’m afraid it will encourage a rash of reckless “get rich quick” diggers spoiling the hobby for those of us that have paid our dues and put more areas off limits. Be respectful, courteous, and patient and use good common sense. Remember, if it was as easy “as seen on TV” EVERYONE would be doing it already and the earth would look like swiss cheese with holes.

51. CP
    South Texas
    March 23, 2013, 3:30 am

Lighten up on the Diggers people!! It’s a show!! They’re entertaining and we get excited with them when they find something. I know that they spend hours searching an area but the show doesn’t make us watch all that non-productive footage and just narrows down to the moment of actual finds. I like the show and their personalities make me laugh. Keep up the good work National Geographic! I am a snorkeler and I hunt for lost items with my eyes and I get a thrill each time I find something that somebody lost even if it is just a coin. It’s the thrill of the hunt! I tried using a borrowed underwater metal detector once (Minelab) and it picked up all sorts of junk and I found that in the clear water, my eyes were the best judge. The underwater metal detector was hard to use in 10 foot of water because I can only hold my breath and stay down for a little while. Getting scuba certified would be helpful :) If I was a dedicated Treasure Hunter, I might shout if I found gold! Haha! I did find a wallet under water one time with $990 in U.S. bills and $80 worth of Mexican paper money. There was not one piece of identification in it to help me find the owners but think it must have belonged to a Mexican national since it had a piece of paper in it that had phrases written on it in Spanish to English and a Mexico telephone calling card. Happy hunting people!

52. MH
    Piperton TN
    March 23, 2013, 5:09 pm

I really enjoyed the show. These guys could be exaggerating a little to get more folks interested in the hobby. GP has the right idea. All the people out there who ‘claim’ to be experts probably WISH they had a little more enthusiasm in their searching.

53. Connor
    San Diego California
    March 24, 2013, 12:45 am

I love diggers so so much I record it very night and watch it in the morning before school. It’s my favorite show me and my dad go digging and every time we go we think of ringy and kg
    Ps DIGGERS IS ASWOME!!!!!

54. L. Harvey
    Aiken, S.C.
    March 28, 2013, 5:14 pm

I found the show on National Geographic channel about a month ago. I enjoy warching it. My wife gave me a Bounty Hunter for Christmas several years ago and I only recently started using it. I watch episodes on the internet and have picked up a few tips. I have always wanted to metal detect since I was a child.. I have not figured out the schedule yet. Thanks for a realy good show..Looking forward to seeing new episodes.

55. Benhalem
    Neworleans,La
    April 9, 2013, 5:59 pm

I see a lot gold machines detectors, nobody convainq me,
    I ,m satisfy , anyone ,an help me for it. Please live messages,
    I get back wth you. Thanks.

56. bill rouse
    helena montana
    April 10, 2013, 10:45 pm

my wife and I truly enjoy diggers we are in the process of buying our own detectors to enjoy with our family george and tim are awesome human beings and it hurts my heart to read the negative comments about them… diggers has saved my marriage thank you actually diggers has givin me purpose in this life thank you very much

57. Diana Eller
    N. Salem, In
    April 16, 2013, 7:31 pm

Lots of us around here like this show. If you don’t like it don’t watch it. With all the horror, killings, wars, bad weather, etc.–it is fun to watch people having fun and I am learning lots.

58. Rick B
    Visalia Ca.
    April 18, 2013, 1:51 am

I enjoy watching and personally hope that they keep having fun! I love the hobby and I would rather dig with someone who gets excited over a find than some dull old fart. I am and will remain a Loyal watcher and enthusiast. Great show guys!!! Keep it up!!

59. [...] that ethical guidelines for responsible metal detecting would be referred to during the program and on the show’s web page.  The archaeologists indicated that the show could not include any commercial sale of [...]

60. Tom T
    Walker, MI
    May 18, 2013, 10:53 pm

For those that keep asking what kind of detectors and pin-pointers the Diggers use; they’re Garrett AT Pro detectors (approx. retail $600) and are waterproof to 10 feet. The pin-pointer is a Garrett Pin-Pointer (approx. retail $140). Both are excellent products.

61. sschmitt
    Ks.
    June 4, 2013, 12:07 pm

Ok, Ok, I understand the ethics and all of that….but what do you do with all of the metal trash and un-usable coinage that your spouse brings home because “it’s cool and I’m going to go through it”. It’s all over the house!

62. philip cravens
    ohio
    June 6, 2013, 12:16 pm

love the show, find it to be very interesting, love to know when you plan to release new shows?

63. H.Charles Beil
    Central Pennsylvania
    June 24, 2013, 12:50 am

Wow!
    You have some fantastic finds. I’ve been at this as a profession for some 45 odd years and still get excited by the finds other guys are making. We even have a “Diggers” Forum! Ringy and King George are the best! Stop by and check us out. I’d love to have you as a member and contributor to our forum. We are trying to build various databases that will serve as resources for metal detectorists. We have hundreds of ghost towns, battlefields, shipwrecks and other documented sites as well as free historic maps, books etc… Hope to see you soon!

H.Charles Beil

64. thembelani dhlamini
    gauteng johannesburg
    June 25, 2013, 2:30 am

watched the show awesome stuff wish to do digging for africa and see what i can get .wish to find one of the oldest coins and or the kruger rand .maybe old chains used by the boers to curf them blacks and other stuff of historical meaning.

65. suzieq
    vancouver bc
    June 26, 2013, 3:14 pm

Right on GP of Michigan & Gerry of Idaho!!! Get a life Cassandra & other complainers! this is way better than that phony Ric wrestler guy’s version – I can’t stand it!
    This show & these 2 men are very entertaining & informing!
    We thoroughly enjoy it!

66. John
    MA.
    July 3, 2013, 5:20 am

I agree. Diggers is superior to American Diggers. Don’t like the loudmouth

67. Lew
    Ontario
    July 5, 2013, 8:05 pm

Why do we have to endure two dim wits hugging trees every time they find a button?
    I have experience as a metal detector user and i have NEVER jumped up and down yelling such idiotic things like “I GOT NECTAR!”, grow up, its just a stupid coin.
    The show and the actors are fake, are you all that stupid to think that its real?
    It’s obvious that it is all scripted.
    Why cant we have a show where the detectorist compares a few models, show how to properly dig a plug and maybe talk about where to go for the beginner? We dont act like idiots, we go treasure hunting!

68. Joe
    NJ
    July 7, 2013, 3:26 pm

Sadly, with the recent onslaught of newcomers to this hobby, leaving the turf disturbed is becoming quite a problem, so, KUDOS for publishing this article! Every detectorist, regardless of experience level, type of equipment used, etc., should absolutely 100% make sure to learn PROPER TARGET RETRIEVAL TECHNIQUES ;) If not, this pursuit will continue to suffer a black eye…even worse than is happening now. To learn more about the metal detecting code of ethics, or, to buy, sell, or trade used detecting equipment, visit: http://www.TreasureClassifieds.com
    Become a member today, and receive a FREE t-shirt :)

69. Edward Marcum
    San Francisco
    July 9, 2013, 2:12 am

I used to run metal detecting tours in Europe for about three years, good days, and plan to resume as soon as school is done here and I can return to Europe. I’m glad to see a reality show that’s not pregnant teens screaming at each other or dancers screaming at each other. Good on ya NGTV!

70. Lew
    Ontario
    July 9, 2013, 9:37 am

Joe is right,
    we have to pay special attention to the way we dig and retrieve items. We have to think of the future being mindful of how we do things now.

There is also a new Yahoo group which is moderated (unlike most of them) for the metal detector user and treasure hunter.

71. Lew
    Ontario
    July 9, 2013, 8:14 pm

further to my last, that yahoo group link is my group but dont let the name fool you, anyone who is into this great hobby can join.

72. Micoy
    Manila
    July 13, 2013, 12:17 am

I Enjoy watching diggers kg @rm episode july 13,2013 different from earlier episode..

73. Micoy
    Cebu
    July 13, 2013, 12:32 am

74. Lew
    Ontario
    July 18, 2013, 12:42 pm

“Can i ask ,what brand and model they used,as i saw they used 1 brand,it is a garrette metal detector partner with pointer”

Garrett AT Pro

75. Ed
    Canada
    July 22, 2013, 8:55 pm

I recently rented a metal detector and pin pointer from Lost Metals (lostmetals.com) and now I’m hooked! Me and my buddy spend the better part of the day on the beach searching for “treasure”! We found a ring and lots of coins. I think I have a new hobby!
    We used the Garrett AT PRO and the pinpointer that we rented was called the Vibraprobe. I highly recommend this equipment!

76. adds
    England
    July 28, 2013, 2:33 am

I am just wondering if anyone has a nokta velox one, as I am having problems on the beach on wet sand. Would anyone know what settings to use and how to set it up to get no interference. I have already tried all the things that I can find on the internet and I would like to know if anyone has also had the same problem as me.

77. Lew
    Ontario
    August 1, 2013, 12:24 pm

Hey Ed, don’t forget a watch…time can go by very quickly!
    We hope you enjoy the hobby :)

78. Chris
    Nj
    August 3, 2013, 5:34 pm

Love the show.. Love the energy these guys enjoy what they do.. Makes me want to buy a detector!

79. pulltab Berb
    West Chester, PA
    August 8, 2013, 8:34 pm

The show has really grown on me and I now watch it every week. The high level of excitement is fun now, I take it for what it is and my buddy and I also clown around a little. Keep it fun and exciting.

I only wish you would show the proper technique on cutting plugs and show that you fill in the holes. We have so many newbies that make a mess, leave holes and trash laying next to them. This behavior is actually closing parks to detecting, since no one wants to see that; that’s the only negative part about the show …

Keep up the good work, now go find some sweet nectar! :-)

80. Juvy Love L. Lacre
    Cagayan de Oro City, Philippines
    August 14, 2013, 6:31 am

a twist of learning and funny metal detecting episodes that make your watching habit change especially with their little competition between these two great hosts.with these series, i have learned a lot.i finished watched the season 1 of the show..looking forward to see the new season of Diggers..!! Have a great metal detecting..!! ^_^

81. James Crumpler
    Chester, VA
    August 21, 2013, 8:39 pm

Been a Digger for over 40 years and I hate to see you wipe dirt off a coin with your fingers, it scratches the devil out of coins that maybe AU and you knock them down to very good. or maybe fine. I enjoy the show other than that. Sandy soil in particular will scratch a coin bad. Coins from the beach are already scratched but some are in near perfect condition, try to keep them that way. James

82. Matt
    MI
    August 22, 2013, 3:00 pm

Yes the show is entertaining and fun to watch! Plus its always great to see a youngster get excited and interested in the hobby but i have to be honest that i have mixed feelings about the show but it is way better than Savage family diggers that only cares about money and makes people think that we dig up people yards with heavy equipment. I have been detecting and prospecting for over 20 years now and here in my state of Michigan and we have a lot of parks but do to state legislators we can’t even hunt half of them. And a lot of us in are state and detecting clubs have been fighting legislators an archaeologist for years and the last thing we need is someone not understanding what is at stake for us all while going around digging giant holes all over and thinking every few minutes they will pull money out of the ground and believe me I’ve seen people do this and some parks are just looking for a little excuse to band metal detectors. there is a code of ethics and respect that needs to be followed so we all can enjoy this hobby we love.

83. Lewis
    Florida
    August 24, 2013, 3:27 pm

It is refreshing to read about a hobby that is for fun and not get rich quick, and I enjoyed the honesty of your piece. My wife and I are just beginning. She has found some modern coins, I’m a coin collector, but I have been limited with the time I can spend because of illness. Hopefully in a short period of time I will be completely well and can learn the hobby. Hope to see you or a show from Florida some day.

84. JOSHUA
    fort collins,co
    August 28, 2013, 9:36 pm

Love the show. I have an old whites gmIV if you guys are ever out thus way let me know, got some great places to shoot for nugs and coinage.

85. Ron
    Near Hershey,pa
    August 29, 2013, 12:07 am

Love the show. The two guys get pretty excited with their finds but so do I when I go diggin. They add a comic relief to it otherwise I think the show could be rather boring. Keep the episodes coming.

86. Deborah M. Woodrow
    Ordway, Colorado
    August 29, 2013, 2:25 am

Hello all. I love this show ! Its entertaining to watch, and the suspense of their finds is thrilling. And, it sure beats the filth, thats on TV, now. Come’ on, don’t be hatin’ … its all in good fun, and very educational to those of us, who don’t know much about Metal Detecting. Keep this one NAT GEO. GOOD SHOW !
    But, the DRUGS, INC , mess HAS GOT TO GO ! I REFUSE TO WATCH THAT TRASH AND NEVER WILL ! . . . is truly trash ! CAN’T BELIEVE YOU WOULD TARNISH YOUR COMPANY, FOR THAT GARBAGE ! It just disrespects the memory OF many millions, lost to drugs. They were someones children, mother, father … take it off, off, please !

87. Jones
    Indiana
    September 4, 2013, 4:56 pm

Some of you guys really love to hate when a guy gets excited about his job. These guys LOVE what they do. Stop being a prude. I wish I was as positive as they are. But I’m not going to be mad about it.

88. Mathias Kuckoo
    Finland
    September 21, 2013, 5:37 pm

Hello from Finland. The show is running here now and I’ve been watching it. It looks that digges overseas are really over-excited if compared to more dour Finns. =) I think that you should be a little bit more tranquil and not so awfully eager if finding just a nail or a coin. This makes the feeling of this nice hobby restless and if you really find something nice, the moment doesn’t feel so fine because these guys have been screaming out all the time. Anyway, the historic facts are nice.

89. Ralf
    Germany
    October 13, 2013, 12:23 pm

Hey !

I really enjoy the show. In Europe we can only watch on youtube but that´s OK. really nice guys and a great idea for a new series. I´m looking forward for the next season.

HELLO from metal detecting Germany

Ralf

90. Kenneth Willis
    oklahoma
    October 14, 2013, 9:08 pm

what kind of metal detector shows you a picture of what’s in the ground ? Please email me at williskenlc@aol.com with a response thank you

91. Avinash Ramdath
    Trinidad
    October 29, 2013, 11:37 am

Hello from Trinidad. I really really enjoy the show because i learn new ideas and gain a great deal of knowledge in searching for these lost treasures, well my country has a lot of history from the 1800″s and every time i get the chance i go looking at various sites, without a metal detector and find a lot of great stuff so thanks for the encouragement and one day i will buy a metal detector and search for the real deal also keep finding cool stuff .

92. Martin
    Germany
    November 25, 2013, 3:57 pm

Hey Ralf,

this show airs with an optional, translated voiceover on National Geographic here in Germany.
    The Channel is on Cable TV.

Did you know Ringmaster studied German at the university? :)

Diggers:
    You should come to Europe and and do some digging here!

93. Aston
    South Africa
    November 28, 2013, 5:26 am

im inspired by your show and would like to get an amateur metal detectors do you have any pointers

94. John Waynt III
    Clearwater MN
    December 17, 2013, 9:22 pm

I frickin love the show I have been metal detecting for over twenty years these guys are fun.

95. Horace C.Irby 3rd ( luke)
    n.c
    December 24, 2013, 3:00 pm

Been m,d 47years can’t get enough how do I join fan club. An when your next show hope u r coming back to tv.

96. Revel
    Indiana
    December 25, 2013, 12:11 am

I just ran across your guys’ show–what a great show! Keep up the good work–also, I wanted to say, your no-nonsense verbiage on the hobby is right-on. Keep up the good work.

97. willy84
    virginia
    December 25, 2013, 11:20 pm

to all those out there putting these guys down , saying there idiots and putting a bad name on the sport i truly don’t understand I’ve only been hunting a few years but i would be just as excited and hang from a tree to find a nice 1766 coin some who say they’ve been hunting 35 years and would never do this must not still be having fun and enjoying it these guys are funny and real dudes and whats wrong with getting super happy and having fun they don’t make us look bad at all they make us laugh yea but who can tell me that you colds dig a flowing hair cent toss it in the bag be a little happy and go home and put it in the collection?? theres no way i would be so happy and in disbelief maybe thats just me and lots of people take it way to serious whats wrong with getting super excited and having crazy sayings for what you find?? nothing

98. Numil
    Hawaii
    January 1, 2:58 pm

Didn’t know this show existed until they ran a marathon of it at Christmas. I’d like to see more but look like I’m stuck streaming it on the web as it looks like the show was canceled since I cannot find anything definite as to future shows. Sad as I really enjoyed the show from what I’ve seen! Yea the guy are a bit over the top and if they toned it down and perhaps went more with a historical theme it might appeal to more. Hey! maybe the history channel will pick it up!

99. JB
    January 31, 7:47 am

The show is decent, I’ll continue to watch. But I can do without the popup’s of the faces with dumb expressions & sayings! It would be better if the show was more serious & not so childish.

100. Steve
    Hawaii
    February 2, 12:50 am

Enjoyed the last 2 episodes which aired a couple of days ago. I’ll continue to watch and like the informative pop-up but the dumb looks and slights toward each other can be annoying.

Good job guys, only suggestion I have is perhaps touch base with some of the local diggers in the areas you visit and perhaps invite them along if you’re not afraid of losing perhaps some face time to the camera.

101. Betty
    Bakersfield ca
    February 9, 9:29 pm

I love this show. These guys got me so enthused. Something great happened and I was able to get my own at Garrett. I’m still learning how to use it but I love it .I hope you still come back on tv and I hope you show more of functions you have it.

102. visit now
    February 11, 8:22 pm

Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thank you Nonetheless I am experiencing issue with ur rss . Don

103. Steve
    Oz
    February 13, 11:47 pm

These guys are fools and stupid running around and jumping into bushes, just because they found a bit scrap meatal in the ground. What a waste of space.

104. Gary W
    Spokane WA
    February 20, 4:43 pm

Thanks KG and Ringy (and crew) for providing some fun, easy to watch, outdoor, family friendly entertainment. You guys ROCK. I’ll be calling your store in a couple of days to order my very own Garrett ACE350 and Garrett Pro Pointer so I can get in on the fun. From an old retired guy I say KEEP IT UP. You are appreciated!

105. […] be honest, some of the big city metal detecting clubs can be often full and it’s hard to get your two cents in. However, sticking to smaller local […]

106. Jay
    USA
    February 22, 6:02 pm

Wow, there are a lot of grouchy people trash talking a really fun and enjoyable show. If you honestly think the show is horrible and those two fun guys are idiots, then you’re a really negative person. Most likely you have a failed marriage or no marriage for that matter, because nobody can stand your grouchy ass. 99% of people metal detecting do it because it’s a hobby and it’s meant to be fun. Grouchy old men give metal detecting a bad name, not this show.

107. Tim Cook
    Virginia
    March 4, 10:47 pm

Diggers is TV nectar!!!

108. Bob
    Maine
    March 12, 11:19 pm

It’s a fun show, and there’s nothing strange about how much stuff they find at a dig site. I have an inexpensive metal detector and have pulled hundreds of coins, including many silver coins, out of our small yard. They basically just don’t show the “trash” digs (although when they’re having a contest between them, it’s usually all laid out on a table). It would be nice to see the show turn a few young people onto the hobby.

109. Len Dash
    Harrison, NY
    March 13, 9:41 pm

Where did you find these fools?
    I enjoy metal detecting and belong to a club, the terminology these guys use it totally inaccurate, they overreact to everything and vat like idiots!

Ld

110. Jayme Powers
    Florence, SC
    March 16, 12:07 am

I Love the Show DIGGERS! I was very excited when your show came to Florence, SC on a DIG. Just purchased my first Metal Detector. So excited to get started on my new hobby! KEEP THE SHOW GOING…… LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

111. Ken Jones
    Helena, Al
    March 18, 11:46 pm

After digging junk targets all day, the good targets will get you excited. If it doesn’t, maybe you should find a new hobby. Just wish I could hunt with these guys. Good show – no, great show! Keep on digging!

112. Eugene Oleo
    Skiatook, Oklahoma 74070
    March 19, 12:54 am

Boys…you need to come to Skiatook, Ok. We have our own Civil War battle site where the CSA fought against Native Americans paid by the Union. I have deer hunted this location for several years and have found minie balls there. I’ve yet to take my Minelab but plan to soon. It is private property and easy to get permission.

113. Eugene Oleo
    Skiatook, Oklahoma 74070
    March 19, 12:57 am

P.S. The native Americans where paid in gold which was lost and never recovered.

114. DJ Rodriguez
    North Carolina
    March 19, 5:09 am

I saw this show one day that I was off of work and it was a marathon. I liked the concept of the show because I’ve gone metal detecting with my grandfather. The only I don’t like is their reactions. They’re like 2 children on Christmas every single find they get. I mean yeah it is exciting when you find something but I don’t see why they have to run around and scream when they find a coin. But other than their over the top reactions I love the show.

115. Michael
    New Jersey
    March 22, 8:00 am

Great show and peaks interest in what there going to find and metal detecting. yes they can be a little goofy sometimes ,it’s called good fun, if you want to be serious , watch 48 hours or scared straight …..lol. : )

116. Matt Riffe
    pawcatuck Connecticut
    March 23, 7:56 am

These guys are AWSOME when they flip out its really funny. Deb i have your answer the weird coin you found is actually a token probably from an arcade or a fair. But the bad feedback these guys get really makes me mad. I dig with my Treasure Cove. Keep up the great show Nat Geo!

117. Sherrie
    April 4, 3:38 pm

I have been watching these guys for years! For those of you who don’t know them, they ARE NOT ACTORS!!! Go to their website Anacondatreasure.com You will see that that have dvd’s that they have made and produced BEFORE Natgeo ever even asked them to do the show. KG and Ringy have always been excited when they did up a good find which is how it should be. I’ve been treasure hunting for years and I definately get excited when I find something worth while. Especially gold. So you arm chair critics need to get your facts straight and your ass out of the chair and either detect yourselves or join and archaeology dig site for a summer to see what it’s all really like! It’s hours of digging dirt before you MIGHT get lucky and find something to get excited about.

118. tom
    topeka
    April 12, 1:42 am

KG and Ringy are class-acts and would rather have my kids watching them enjoy themselves and get excited about the things they find than so much of the obscene and ill-conceived shows that litter the dial.