No area in the country is busier than the 250-mile swath of border known as Arizona’s Tucson Sector. Tightened security in Nogales is driving smugglers and illegal immigrants to cross through the rugged Baboquivari mountains and the desert near Douglas, AZ. Others are trying to overwhelm agents at the points of entry using new crossing and concealment strategies, and ‘shotgunning’ multiple drug loads through at once.

A group of 21 Mexican immigrants puts the coordinated efforts of Blackhawk, AMB and ground agents to the test.  Blackhawk pilot John “Hammer” Manheimer struggles to keep up as multiple people fan out in all directions and the helicopter nearly runs out of fuel. AMB agents watch as one man leads a ground agent on an epic pursuit through treacherous peaks and washes, until he is finally coaxed by a bottle of water to give up the chase.

At Nogales Deconcini, Customs rail officers search an empty cargo train and discover “dummy drug bundles” —cardboard wrapped in materials typically used by smugglers. This leads officers to speculate that cartel spies are testing them, watching their every move from a point beyond the rail yard, looking to see what is found and what is not.

A customs officer using a surveillance camera alerts border patrol agents as a known fence coyote nicknamed “Socks” guides illegal immigrants over the border fence into downtown Nogales. And a recent shutdown of a major drug-running tunnel may have led to a spike in illegal traffic through the port. In a four-day period, officers have seized over a million dollars, and dozens of drug bundles. The tires on a seemingly ordinary truck sound suspicious when tapped by officers —and that tips off a marijuana seizure of close to 100 pounds. And a regular border crosser in a Mustang tries to head southbound carrying nearly $200,000 in cartel cash. These cash bundles put officers’ weekly take over 1 million dollars —a significant milestone in their fight against cartel smuggling.

When Border Patrol Agents find 50-lb bundles of marijuana in the Douglas desert, the scent of garlic leads the agents to a group of suspected mules who claim to be entering the U.S. in search of work. For a prosecution, agents face the challenge of tying these suspected smugglers to the bundles they found in a nearby location.

_____

Tune in to Border Wars: Teenage Drug Mules, August 20th at 9P et/pt.

Comments

1. sean quinlan
    rhode isalnd
    August 20, 2012, 8:41 pm

No wonder we have drugs coming over the border. Somebody gets caught with over 100 lbs of marijuana and get 13 mouths in jail that’s a joke. I got caught with a quarter pound I’m 1996 and I had 5 years hanging over my head

2. mike
    mi
    August 20, 2012, 10:01 pm

I just watched Border wars: Teenage Drug Mules. During the first segment the CBP were viewing and pointing at the screen of a tire that was being x-rayed. Why were the tips of the agents fingers censored. It was only the finger that was pointed at the screen.

3. Dewane
    KY
    November 21, 2012, 9:04 pm

Border Wars what have you done? The new narrator sucks!!!!! Sounds like some hick version of Sam Elliot. Bring back the original guy from last season!!!!

4. Janice
    November 25, 2012, 12:43 pm

Dewane, I can not agree with you MORE. This narrator has a monotone voice, which makes you loose interest in the show and let’s not forget to mention the terrible barrio music they are using when the agents are in low income areas. Huge and bad stereo type. Border Wars should stick to the original format which is what’s made the to program so interesting, informative and entertaining.

5. JB
    Houston
    November 30, 2012, 4:32 pm

The new narrator has ruined the program for me. This show was great and I watched every week and waited in anticipation for the next show. Now I am ok if tivo deletes the show before i even watch it, because the new narrator is awful. The show now looks and sounds like it should be on Spike TV, right before world greatest redneck police chases. Bring the show back to its former glory with its former narrator. I live in texas and hear that crappy southern drawel every day, and this new narrators voice has really ruined it for me. It really bothers me and I loose interests every week. Bring back old narrator or add mike rowe!

6. Pickles
    December 2, 2012, 11:20 pm

I agree. I cannot stand to watch this show anymore. If i knew a petition could change the narrator back i may watch it again. Until then…sorry n at geo you screwed this show up for a lot of people.

7. Frank
    Fal Furious at Nat Geo
    December 5, 2012, 8:21 pm

Nat Geo, why did you have to mess with what worked? The new narrator is awful and the new format is even worse. Who is the demographic you chose this format for, 13-19 males who play first person shooter games that love barrio tunes? Please change back to the old format, it was informative and straight forward with no frills and we all loved it. My cousin works for Nat Geo and I have told her this, let’s hope the higher ups get wind of this. Thanks for ruining the one show I loved!

8. Robert
    Columbia, SC
    December 5, 2012, 9:44 pm

This WAS my favorite on TV. You really screwed it up NatGeo with this new formula and narrator. Why mess with a good thing? Hope you’re listening to your audience!

9. Sean McGrath
    Alabama
    December 6, 2012, 12:01 am

I can’t take the new narrator either. I liked the show the way it was. Now it sucks. I thought it sounded like a bad Sam Elliot too. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

10. Susan Robinson Browning
    Los Angeles
    December 6, 2012, 3:31 pm

I can’t agree more with what was already said about the new season. The new voice over is AWFUL! I literally could only watch 10 mins before being extremely agitated. A narrator may not “make” a show, but it definitely can BREAK one! Have the producers lost their minds? This was a great show sans the condescending soundtrack. I think most people who bother to watch Nat. Geo. on a regular basis probably have the intelligence to figure out how to feel when seeing certain images without having to be guided by stereotypical bad music. And the last thing someone who liked learning both (all) sides of the coin in the dreadful predicament for people on BOTH side of the border have to face wants to hear is a southern drawl. It’s like removing Dion Graham from The First 48, and replacing him with a cartoon character voice; who would take that seriously? You had a great show….”if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”

11. Kristen
    December 7, 2012, 7:18 pm

Like other posters, I can’t stand the new narrator…those duke boys are in trouble again! Deleted the series from my dvr…

12. john
    MN
    December 7, 2012, 9:09 pm

Ditto! From fav show to unwatchable. Thought it must be me until I searched.and found this.

13. Adam
    December 10, 2012, 6:59 pm

The new season is TERRIBLE. Why is it now produced like a crappy old version of COPS and narrated by a country music singer hick?

14. Lisa
    Out of my mind!!
    December 12, 2012, 10:54 pm

Everyone is right! Those Duke boys seem to be in trouble again. What the heck are we watching? The Dukes of Hazzard in Hazzard County Georgia with Boss Hogg or are we in Texas?

15. Gail
    New Yawk
    December 12, 2012, 11:21 pm

I totally agree that the problem is new narrator! He sounds like the guy from the old Dukes of Hazzard!

16. Holly and Sarsh
    Orlando
    December 13, 2012, 7:13 pm

Not one positive comment. Wise up! Like others, BW was our fave. We quit after 5 mins and will only check it out again to see if the narrator and format return. Otherwise it’s a quick flip to another show! Listen to your viewers before there are none!

17. scv91355
    Los Angeles
    December 14, 2012, 1:00 am

I’m glad so many people have spoken up. This was not a great show, but I had started to record. All of a sudden, I saw the first show with the new narrator and immediately deleted from the DVR. It’s too bad. I’m hoping the gentleman who was doing the show is well, but if NatGeo simply replaced him, it was the worst viewer decision this channel has ever made. Rupert, I hope you agree!

18. CarJen
    MN
    December 15, 2012, 8:19 pm

I agree with all those who have posted that NatGeo have just about ruined a good show. Bring back the narrator and the old format!!!! Let’s hope the powers that be at NatGeo are listening to their audience.l

19. Michael
    TX
    December 19, 2012, 7:22 pm

As others have stated, the new narrator is truly awful. My girlfriend and I would look forward to this show every airing week for the last four seasons. No more then ten minutes into the first episode of season five, we both turn to each other and emphatically agreed that the new narration was so bad that the show was/is now unwatchable. Specifically, the new narrator literally sounds like a bumpkin. He speaks very slowly, as if he does not understand the words he is saying. The twang puts a slant on everything and the way he pronounces Spanish words is literally abhorrent. I think NatGeo is drastically underestimating the intelligence and self-respect of their average viewer.

TL;DR: Don’t fix what isn’t broken. This new direction isn’t worth an educated person’s time.

20. VTJenny
    VT
    December 19, 2012, 9:08 pm

New narrator is horrendous! What was one of my favorite shows is now unwatchable. Agree with the previous commenter that this new format belongs on SpikeTV. Tivo delete!

21. Tritium
    Western MA
    December 20, 2012, 1:30 pm

I completely agree with the many previous comments. The new narrator is terrible…or at the very least, a poor match for the previously serious and compelling nature of the show. NatGeo has really screwed the pooch with the changes they have made to this once fine and intriguing program. Now, it seems like they are catering to a “reality TV” demographic, versus being a legitimate documentary of this Country’s War on Drugs, Homeland Security and Border protection.

Very, very dissapointed.

22. Chad
    MN
    December 24, 2012, 7:42 pm

I finally had a chance to watch the new season of Border Wars. What the heck happened to the format and narrator??? This used to be one of my favorite shows. I don’t know if I will even TiVo this show anymore. Way to slow and annoying. The old way the show was produced was 10x better than this junk. Oh yeah, and how about the over the top spanish music in certain parts of the show. Hope my vote counts!!!! Bring back the old Border Wars!!! Pleasseeeeeeee!

23. chris c.
    ABQ, NM
    December 29, 2012, 7:03 am

Worst narrator ever! I imagine most people in Texas cannot even stand that stupid drawl. It is an easy way to decipher an intelligent person from a yokel by just hearing one word. Why is the hell would anyone from the rest of the country/world be expected to tolerate this gibberish? Thanks for the past seasons, but this is now a garbage show and thus completely unwatchable.

24. Joe T
    Southern Mi
    January 3, 2013, 9:30 pm

I’m usually a lurker in these places but I feel compelled to speak up as well. This use to be a great show, focused on the true nature of our struggle to secure our borders and the people that dedicate their lives to doing so. This change in format seems to be directed at some low brow demographic…what’s up with the music? What’s up with the slow mo tough guy representations of the officers? We Respect them for what they do, and I feel your doing them and their work a disservice in the way you represent them. Oh, and please loose the dorky narrative…I feel like I’m watching an episode of Swamp People everytime he opens his mouth. Please fix it or were out! Thanks.

25. Mike
    RI
    January 10, 2013, 12:18 am

The new narrator is totally awful. The show has really dumbed down since season 1, pretty sad. I removed the series recording from my DVR, no longer have any interest in listening to this retard narrate what was once a quality program. Nat geo, big thumbs down for format and narrator swap. At least The First 48 is still a high quality program to watch!

26. BW Sucks!
    January 10, 2013, 12:19 am

NatGeo has distroyed this show. The narrator has got to go, and the overly dramatic, obvious reinactments aren’t entertaining when it’s clear that each scene has been pieced together from multiple takes. Since when does lawn enforcement allwow multiple cameras surrounding a “dangerous” situation?
    In addition, the detectives from Laredo are a joke. I hope they are either straight actors, or PD working off a script because nobody ever talks like them. Including reading entire paragraphs off over two-way radio.
    Finally. I really hope the production company is getting all of its fluff shots like a team officers walking side by side toward the camera like they are a posse in the old west on the officers own time, and the shows dime. If they are on the clock getting paid with federal money to be celebrities instead of working there should be an investigation into this train wreck. Following them working is one thing. Doing recreations is another.

27. Lamo
    January 10, 2013, 4:10 pm

Get rid of the new narrator. Terrible. What is NatGEO thinking. Takes away the seriousness of this show. Feel like I should be spitting chew. Dawg

I have removed from my DVR.

28. mad viewer
    Canada
    January 11, 2013, 4:34 am

I share this show with people in my school. I watched the viewer count rise and rise until it hit season 5 and it then declined, though they were the fresh new episodes.

29. Sean
    Alabama
    January 12, 2013, 10:17 pm

The new narrator has ruined a good show. I can’t watch this crap anymore. NatGeo this show won’t last like this. Listen to you viewers.

30. Chuck
    Texas
    January 16, 2013, 7:11 pm

I Can’t watch it anymore. I tried a few episodes but couldn’t get through the first few minutes, so I took it off the DVR schedule.

I’ll try again next season. Hopefully they can get the other guy back.

31. Kevin K
    rhode island
    January 16, 2013, 9:12 pm

I searched this out just to vent how much I hate this narrator. It sounds a cheap Ford Pickup commercial. Phoney sounding and totally out of place. Dumb cowboy sounding dude. Get rid of him!

32. Dave
    January 17, 2013, 8:37 pm

The narrator not only sucks on border wars, he also ruins Hell on the Highway. GET RID OF HIM NOW!!!!

33. Grant H
    Columbia, MD
    January 19, 2013, 12:59 am

I hate to redundant, but I couldn’t agree with what’s been said more. I have been a watcher of this show since the first season. The show now is completely different. It feels like Nat Geo just changed the show for the sake of keeping it fresh. The narrator falls flat and kills all flow. The transitions between scenes is over done and the Hispanic hip hop dub over random parts is annoying and not necessary.

34. ed
    mn
    January 27, 2013, 12:52 pm

new narrator is horrible for this show.
    it’s unbelievable how bad the narration is now.
    this guy is probably good for 30 second advertising spots for salsa or pick up trucks – not a show like BW.
    used to watch every week… NO MORE

35. cynthia
    January 28, 2013, 3:06 pm

PLEASE NATGEO BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NARRATOR OF THE SHOW. I TURNED ON THE NEW SEASON AND MAYBE 10-15 MINUTES INTO THE SHOW, I TURNED TO ANOTHER CHANNEL. THE PERSON HAS TOO MUCH OF A COUNTRY TWANG AND I JUST DON’T LIKE THE WAY HE SPEAKS. WHY DO SHOWS HAVE TO CHANGE THINGS? I THINK LOOKING AT ALL OF THESE COMMENTS, I WOULD HOPE NATGEO GETS THE IDEA AND GOES BACK TO THE ORIGINAL NARRATOR. I LOVE THE SHOW, PLEASE BRING BACK THE NARRATOR AND THE ORIGINAL FORMAT!!!! PLEASE??? THANKS.

36. Todd Gack
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    February 2, 2013, 4:42 pm

I agree with the others. HATE HATE HATE the new narrator. I couldn’t put my finger on where I have heard that awful drawl before, but when the others came up with the “Dukes of Hazzard” comparison, they NAILED IT! It’s horrendous. I’m out on Border Wars. It was good while it lasted.

37. Brian
    Denver
    July 16, 2013, 12:15 am

I’ve finally figured out who this awful narrator is. He’s the guy that was doing Cheaters for awhile. He is shit and I agree with all of you. It’s too bad because this show WAS awesome. It made me follow the drug war for awhile. I tuned in tonight after I read where one of the main guys from Los Zetas was caught over the weekend.

38. Art Luis
    South Florida
    July 22, 2013, 3:57 pm

I have never commented via internet or snail mail on anything before but this is the exception. The Narrator and the new format have changed my view of this show. This show was something that I looked forward to every week now it is a task to get through the gimmicky voice and format. My wife and I both have stopped watching almost all episodes because of the annoying narration. I have not talked to a single friend or seen a single forum that enjoys the current layout.