Prison is a world marked by power – those who have it and those who don’t. For three years, Hard Time has followed the lives of inmates across the country. And in every prison, the powerful can choose to prey on the weak and the weak do their best to stay out of harm’s way. It’s a high stakes game because until your sentence is done, there’s no escape.

Most predators make their intentions clear from the start and Reggie Williams is no exception to the rule. In 2008, he transferred to Hays State Prison in Trion, Georgia from a prison known as Reidsville, one of the toughest in the state. He’s got a 305-year sentence for murder and a hunger for power, but has no money coming in from the outside world to buy him influence. Williams knows he’ll have to use any means necessary to get what he wants and extortion of the weak is his path to comfort.

A young inmate makes easy prey in any prison, especially at a high security prison like Hays. Inmates call them “free-picks,” a designation that inmate Adrian English isn’t able to escape. English has been stabbed, robbed, and thrown into isolation. But nothing has been harder to endure than “it”:  Adrian claims he has been raped twice while in prison. The experience haunts him, as does his crime – the presumed murder of his three-month old son. For an inmate like English, threats are everywhere.

Predators in the women’s world find power in relationships. At the Ohio Reformatory for Women (ORW) in 2010, there’s no bond more central than the pseudo-family complete with fathers and daughters, nieces and nephews. Hale Dorm is home to ORW’s close security offenders, inmate Dorie Terrell heads a pseudo-family, thirty members strong. While Uncle Do’ claims she’s offering guidance and food to her girls, the prison sees her role as a potentially dangerous abuse of power.

Just to the south, inmates like Donald Smith and Marlin “Juice” Reynolds are on two very different paths. Smith has been trying to take advantage of prison programs, turning his back on his former gang and old ways. His goal is to make it home early, with an education to boot. Reynolds, on the other hand, is happy to bring his street ways inside the prison walls. Here, he is a “jailhouse thief” who makes his way by brutally robbing other inmates and selling their possessions. For each inmate, these choices will bring very different consequences that send one to disciplinary segregation and the other to the infirmary.

_____

Tune in to Hard Time: Predator and Prey tonight, August 14th at 9P et/pt.

Comments

1. John
    louisville KY
    August 16, 2012, 4:47 pm

my heart went out to inmate Donald Smith. He points out how his “Jordans” were all he had. Can the public send inmates things (such as shoes)?

2. Curtis
    Afghanistan
    August 18, 2012, 3:48 pm

Hey John. I respect your compassion for your fellow man, but remember why Donald is where he is. He was convicted of robbery, meaning he took someone’s belongings by force. Karma has a way of sorting these things out.

3. Thabang
    South African
    September 17, 2012, 2:47 pm

I wish I could meet Juice! Damn the dude is gangster and so real! Just wish I had the money to visit the states! He like the brotheR I never had!..and I watched the documentary on you-tube and there is the part where he say ” I ain’t got no sympathy for any of my victims! We all inmates , we all in here coz we did something wrong!” National Geography please sponser my trip to see Juice! Man! And he just 24 this year but runs the prison like he 50…I’m not promoting gangsterism or anything but if I lived in USA I wud be a blood. Okay Donald got what he was asking for ! What did he expecte? He is in prison for PiTts sake! Hhahahha juice was like “listen I’m only gonna ask you 1 time ,where them shoes at?” he tried to play dumb so he had to kick him in the face! Juice if you get the chance to read this just know that im proud of you man!!! Someone Oprah, anyone please sponser my trip to the Southern Ohio Correctional institution!!!!

4. Joe Farnsworth
    Cincinnati
    February 20, 2013, 12:55 pm

So Dorie now heads a pseudo-family. Why am I not surprised? She was convicted of aggravated robbery and complicity to aggravated murder in a case of “rolling the John.” She could have probably pled to a lesser charge, but she refused to give up the actual shooter. She was one tough lady at age 23. I was at her trial.

5. allie lander
    dayton,ohio
    February 27, 2013, 11:18 pm

Dorre terrell prays on the weak that is those weaker than her….i never understood….why they ffollowed her like that she seem lame to me

6. Pam Berry
    Groton,Ct.
    January 18, 5:55 am

OMG! Cannot beleive you thought that Juice person has the juice! He is where he belongs, but at least he is honest about himself.

7. Robin
    Texas
    February 11, 11:28 am

I would like to lnow what prison juice Reynolds is at. I like to reach out to People. Maybe i can reach out to him and many others. God bless

8. Shakeyla
    Lorain , Ohio
    April 9, 12:25 pm

I need a pen pal preferably a stud from the orw..