Dog owners know that their pet is one of the most important parts of their lives, and many dog owners try to incorporate their pooches in every aspect of it. On this episode of The Dog Whisperer, Cesar meets two owners with very different life styles who are trying to do right by their dogs.

Like most working musicians, Robert Schwartzman is away from home for long stretches of time touring with his band, Rooney. In addition to touring, Robert is involved with charities benefiting Tibet and travels abroad on a regular basis. In general, his schedule makes him a less than ideal dog owner, but having grown up around dogs, Robert decided that he wanted to find a pet to be his companion when he is home in Los Angeles. Robert was drawn to pit bulls, and one day a stray pit bull ran out in front of Robert’s car while he was driving. The dog was very thin and looked like she had recently nursed a litter of puppies. Robert pulled his car over and cautiously approached the dog, who seemed friendly enough. She hopped into the car and Robert drove her home. Robert named her Sandy, and quickly found out that she had some major issues with aggression. Sandy has attacked a dog that belongs to Robert’s friend as well as a stranger’s dog while on a walk.  Robert now tries to avoid other dogs at all cost. But this isn’t the full extent of Sandy’s bad behaviors. There was an incident when Robert invited over a good friend of his who is loud and gregarious. As a greeting, the friend bear hugged Robert and lifted him off the ground. In the blink of an eye, Sandy had pounced and latched on to Robert’s friend’s back pocket and ripped in clean off. Robert knows that he is ill-equipped to deal with Sandy’s aggression, but he hopes that Cesar can give him the tools he needs to give his dog a good life.

Paul Dini, a successful writer and producer, and his wife Misty Lee, a voiceover actress and magician, adopted two Boston terriers named Mugsy and Deuce three years ago. The dogs were already full grown and had obvious behavioral issues. The worst problem is when Deuce and Mugsy encounter other dogs. Mugsy acts shy and seems like he’d like to meet other dogs, if only he knew how. Deuce, on the other hand, has a more severe reaction. He makes a sound like something close to a human scream and will stand on his hind legs and spin, trying to bite his leash. Paul and Misty are so concerned about Deuce’s behavior that they have never let him meet other dogs besides Mugsy. Paul had put on a lot of weight in the past few years, and one day decided that he was fed up and ready to make a change of lifestyle. He and Misty are interested in a boot camp program that meets every morning near their house. What makes the boot camp unique is that it is designed to couple physical exercise with dog obedience training. However, with Mugsy and Deuce behaving the way they do, there is no chance of the dogs passing a required behavioral assessment. As a last resort they are turning to Cesar for help in getting the dogs under control.

_____

Tune in to the Dog Whisperer: Anger Management tonight, August 4th at 8P et/pt.

Comments

1. KhloeKamalis
    ATLIEN
    August 7, 2012, 1:39 am

Thanks for being a part of the animals come first team Robert!! it’s hard for some people to be that brave for animals and to let them go the way you had to let Sandy go.

2. Chris Staub
    Hanover pa
    August 7, 2012, 7:53 am

We have a Boxer Rottie mix that is completley obnoxious. We have three kids and waited a couple years for the right time to get a pet. Well our pet has more bad habits than we knoiw how to break. She is sweet at times but all her issues have us to the point we just want to get rid of her, however im concerned that she will end up with someone that wont take care of her. I think she has potential to be a good dog but we dont know how to get her there. Can you please fix our dog?

3. Angela C
    Cali Colombia
    August 7, 2012, 3:01 pm

Hola
    Me encanta tu programa y me asombra la capacida de entendimiento que tienes en con los animales te pido un gran consejo
    En el trascurso de mivida he tenido varias razas de perres
    Pastor aleman , pastos colly y chauchau tosdos desde cachorros lindos educados todos unos perros adaptables al modo de vida que llevo con mi famili
    Actualmemte adoptamos un labrador esta cachorro y es un lio no hace caso y quiere hacer su voluntad

(que puesdo hacer para que estes tranquilo y para educarlo bien ya que esta raza es totalmente distinta a la las que ya hemos tenodos
    Te agradeceria si medas unos buenos consejos que seguire al pie de la letra
    Muchas gracias

4. nancy
    beloit wi,
    August 7, 2012, 4:57 pm

we just rescued a english bulldog. she’ll be 2yrs in sept but i have some issues with her. one is i think she needs a little disaplin & traing. we have a 26 yr old son that is handicap (cp) i would like some help with this so we dont have to give her up already please could u help to see if this is a good match or not.

5. hasmig buckwalter
    August 9, 2012, 6:22 am

This is a last ditch effort to reach out for help with our Rhodesian Ridgeback mix puppies…
    we live in Lancaster, PA and after losing our beloved 13 yr. old ridgeback 2 years ago, we decided it was time to add to our family again 10 months ago. we made the 11 hour trip to North Carolina to a high kill shelter to rescue ONE puppy…when we met our male puppy and his two litter mates, we fell in love! we decided to adopt one of the males and another couple adopted the other male…one female was left. My husband whispered to me that we just couldn’t leave the little girl behind…so,…we adopted her as well!
    these pups were abandoned so we really didn’t know much about their life before we got them.
    the male (Charlie) is now crate trained and housebroken. he responds to commands fairly well.
    the female (Lillie) on the other hand, has had issues from day one! she was on anti-anxiety medication for about 4 months until we decided to take her off. the reason for the medication was concern over her severe seperation anxiety when she still had her puppy teeth (which she broke off in her crate!) now, 10 months later, she has chewed the plastic inside her kennel and gotten out of the whole she made. we tried a metal crate again and she broke off 3 of the metal bars while we we are work! if we do not crate her, she chews our furniture and pees and poops on the floor! all our furniture is now destroyed and our laminate flooring is ruined as well!
    we love them both and cannot imagine not having them, but are at our wits end!! we rescued them to give them a chance at a good life, but don’t know what to do!!
    PLEASE HELP!!!
    thank you and please concider coming to help us get a handle on their behavior and keep them in our household

6. Bonnie Jo Davis
    Southern California
    September 14, 2012, 7:22 pm

For all of you asking for help with your dogs this isn’t the right place. I don’t think Cesar is reading these comments. I have had more than one problem dog and the answer is dog training with your local dog trainer. For dogs that have many issues get them to agility classes. We had a rescue Sheltie that had been rehomed four times before we got him. We got him into agility and he turned into a changed dog. If you need a referral for training talk to your vet. They will know all the best dog trainers in town!

7. fiona philipson
    ontario canada
    October 5, 2012, 9:31 pm

I have a portie water dog and I have been separated for a year ever since this ,she is very anxious and snaps a people now I don’t now what to do about this I am really worried ,do you have ant suggestions

8. Jocelyn
    Clovis, NM
    October 11, 2012, 12:42 pm

Mr. Milan,

I am an attorney who represents a Client who is charged with training her dog to attack police officers!! She faces 3 years in prison for this!! This poor Clovis, NM dog has a bad reputation here just because of his breed (pitbull).

I need to find an expert who trains dogs for a trial that I have coming up. My client is accussed of training her dog to attack probation and police officers. The State has trumped up the charge from merely keeping a vicious animal (which is a local city ordinance in Clovis) to aggravated battery on a peace officer with a deadly weapon–to wit, her dog.

I am looking for an expert who (hopefully) can say whether the dog has actually been trained to attack–which I sincerely doubt–or whether it merely has a natural tendency to attack people who are threatening its owner.

She has only had the dog for a year or so. Before that it was in the dog pound, which may account for its distaste for people in uniform.

Please let me know if you can think of anyone or help in anyway. This dog will be put to sleep if the State can prove its violent disposition and “training”.

Thanks!

Shonn Galassini
    Assistant Public Defender

9. Cyndi Ammons
    Cullowhee, North Carolina
    October 11, 2012, 4:58 pm

I need your advice. It’s killing me – and I know how much you love dogs, so I am asking you.
    My dog, Copper, is 5 years old. He has been sort of aggressive his entire life, especially over food and over me. Lately, he’s been getting a bit worse (well, it actually started when he was a puppy but got worse about a year ago)…
    When he was about 8 months old, he tried to bite my son because my husband brought him home a “meaty bone” treat and all my son did was walk by him – he would have bitten him if Dave hadn’t got between them.
    The next incident was not long after that – he would nip Davey’s ankle when Davey walked by. I figured this was showing dominance, so I made Davey stop “taking” it – and he learned the proper way to correct Copper when he did that (I taught my son to be a “pack leader”). He still does it now and then, but he doesn’t actually nip – he just acts like he’s going to. Davey was kind of tough on Copper when Copper was a puppy – so I know Davey has to re-establish their trust. He has been very good to Copper for the past 4 years.
    Then, the mail lady came one day with some packages and my daughter tried to keep Copper in the house because he goes bananas when a stranger comes around…he got past her, leaped at the mail lady, and bit the box she had in her hand before my daughter could grab him. The mail lady won’t get out of her car here to this day – and that was about a year ago.
    Last winter, Copper took off out the door and wouldn’t come back. I called him, pleaded with him – and he finally came back. When he did, I spoke to him in a harsh tone (not mean, just told him that he had been “bad” – didn’t hit him or anything…just scolded him) and he tried to bite me. Snarled his teeth every time I’d get close to him. He does that to my husband every time my husband corrects him in any way.
    About 3 months ago, I bought some milkbone treats that were basted – when I gave him one, he got that “look”. As I walked by, he snarled and growled and acted like he’d eat me up if I got near him.
    A few weeks ago, my son had a friend over (who is a small 10 year old) – I told the friend not to get near Copper until Copper got used to him being in the house. The friend ignored me and when I wasn’t looking, he stuck his hand over the gate to pet Copper. At first, Copper acted fine (my son’s other friend pets Copper all the time and Copper NEVER acts weird towards him) – and then, out of the blue, he growled and snapped at this new friend’s arm…I thought he’d bitten him. Scared me to death.
    The other night, my husband simply told Copper to get down (he was raring up on the gate) so my husband could come into the dogs’ part of the den, where my computer is. Copper growled and snarled and came over to my chair and acted like he didn’t want my husband anywhere near me.
    Which brings me to this point:
    I called the vet and asked if they thought he could be in pain and that’s why he’s acting that way. They said maybe, but they think it’s just his nature because when we had him fixed, the vet who fixed him said he’d never work with Copper again. He said “My best guess is that dog is Pit/Chow – and he’s dangerous.” The other vet in the office will give Copper his shots but only if I’m holding Copper’s mouth closed and have him reined in on the leash.
    Sorry this is so long, but I want you to know all of it.
    They recommended a trainer in the area. She listened to my story and said that I should just have him put to SLEEP!!!!!!!! She said some dogs can’t be helped, regardless of what you do, and that with my disability, he’s a huge liability. She said I could try muzzle training him – but that he will always be unpredictable and I can never trust him – not even towards ME. She said I shouldn’t believe ANYONE who says differently – that some dogs are just born “crazy”. She said if I want to keep him I have to muzzle train him and NEVER trust him without the muzzle. Putting a muzzle on him may prove to be the hardest thing I’ll ever try to do – he doesn’t like feeling “trapped” and he HATES for other dogs to sniff him and for people to touch his hind-quarters.
    Here’s the thing:
    Copper doesn’t like strangers. But, if the stranger turns out to be nice and knows how to handle dogs (the ones who don’t try to force themselves on him) he is fine with them. My aunt walked into my house the first time she’d ever been here, walked right past him – he never offered to even bark at her. He hates the UPS truck and the mail car…but I have always laughed about that (until he tried to bite the mail lady). I think Copper is afraid of strangers and that’s why he’s so protective of us and the entire property. He goes around marking the perimeter of our property every chance he gets. I can’t let him run, which is his favorite thing to do – because he takes off and I’m afraid he’ll bite a neighbor’s kid or something.
    Copper is temperamental – but he has had digestive problems his entire life. It seems that, when he isn’t feeling well (he throws up about once every 2 months – and it’s bile, it’s never food) – that’s when he is at his worst. I give him antacids when he’s not feeling well…and sometimes it helps. But he has real issues with food. I’ve tried all your techniques to get him past that – but he’s so aggressive that I am actually afraid of him when he’s eating something he really likes, so I let him eat and don’t bother him (don’t even pet him) until he’s finished.

What do you think? I’m trying to save the money to take him for a complete vet workup (that’s expensive) – to see if there’s something physically wrong with him. The trainer told me to put him down. The vet who fixed him said the same thing.
    I’m at my wit’s end. I LOVE this dog more than I’ve ever loved another dog in my life. He is so protective of me. And of my family. He loves my daughter and her boyfriend, he loves my parents, and some of our friends. He loves my husband (when he doesn’t fuss at him) and loves my son. So, I don’t want to give up on him. I’m sitting here crying at just the thought of having to give him up.
    Again, sorry for the length of this letter. I just want to know what you think. I don’t want to “put him down”…I love him. But I also don’t want him to hurt anyone and then be put down by the dog catcher…or worse.
    Thanks for anything you can offer by way of advice. PLEASE help me save my beautiful Copper.
    By the way, our other dog, Penny, is a Pit/Lab and has never offered to hurt a fly. She’s a gentle as the day is long. I thought she might help him, but it hasn’t worked out that way.
    Copper is 45 pounds. Penny is 65 pounds. We love them BOTH so much.

10. dog training
    December 18, 2013, 11:35 am

Good submit. I was verifying continuously that website that i’m satisfied! Particularly helpful facts particularly the continue sections :) I actually take care of similarly info considerably. I became trying to get this kind of info for years. Cheers and best of success.