This episode of America’s Lost Treasures finds hosts Curt Doussett and Kinga Philipps in Philadelphia, PA, at the Franklin Institute Science Museum where Philadelphians have brought them their best heirlooms and treasures to share. Out of the many fascinating artifacts, Curt chooses a seal owned by Robert Morris, one of our founding fathers and the financier of the revolution, a pistol believed to have been used to kill Alexander Hamilton in his notorious duel with former Vice-President Aaron Burr in 1804, and finally a Ford Huckster truck from 1930 that many families used to make a living during the Great Depression. Kinga also makes some great finds, with an artist’s proof made from an engraving for the first Washington dollar bill, a dress believed to be from the Victorian era, and props used by the first great American stage actor, Edwin Forrest.

To determine his pistol’s authenticity, Curt takes it to Delia’s Gunshop, where gun expert Fred Delia attempts to confirm that this is the pistol that killed Alexander Hamilton. Curt brings the owner, Bob, who duels with the expert verbally. Though Fred confirms that the gun was made in the correct time period, is it truly the gun that shot Alexander Hamilton in his famous duel? Next Curt and owner of the Ford Huckster, Ron, pay a visit to the famous Simeone Automotive Museum. There, museum owner and car expert Fred Simeone inspects the truck and takes the beautifully restored car for a test drive with Curt. While is a great looking restored car, there is some question as to its overall value. Finally, Curt brings the Robert Morris seal to the famous Historical Society of Pennsylvania where expert Lee Arnold gives him access to the documents that built our nation. They look through hundreds of Robert Morris documents, but can they match any of the document stamps to Curt’s seal?

Meanwhile, Kinga takes the dress to Drexel University to show Clare Sauro, curator of the costume collection there.  Surprisingly, Clare tells her that it is actually from the Edwardian period, which follows the Victorian period. Kinga also takes her artist’s proof for the first dollar bill to Conservation Center for Art and Historic Artifacts. The experts there worked on the restoration of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. If they can authenticate the proof, and confirm that it is truly an Alfred Sealey engraving back in 1869, then Kinga truly has a great lost treasure on her hands. For her final expert visit, Kinga takes a trip to the Walnut Street Theatre, America’s oldest theatre. There she meets Bernard Havard, one of the country’s leading theatre producers. He tells her more information about the first great American stage actor, Edwin Forrest.

Which items will Kinga and Curt select to make it into the final showdown? And which is worthy of making it into the National Geographic Museum? Tune in to find out!

_____

Don’t miss America’s Lost Treasures: Philadelphia tonight, August 1st at 10P et/pt.

Comments

1. Bill
    philly
    August 2, 2012, 7:55 am

kinga is so hot ..only reason I keep watching..wow!

2. Crystal Lagunas
    San Antonio
    August 2, 2012, 5:12 pm

Hi I have a couple of really old antiques. For example I have a very old projector that’s in really good condition but I’ve never tried to see if it works. Can you give me some advice on where you think I could sell it or at least see how much it’s worth.. Please Help…

3. Ann
    August 3, 2012, 1:00 am

I generally love shows about antiques and collectibles, so I was really looking forward to this series on NatGeo. Unfortunately, I find the hosts to be completely inept, silly and frankly, embarrassingly ignorant about virtually all forms of antiques. Please, consider finding hosts who know even the very first thing about their subject matter and lose the silly competition.

4. Beth
    Wilmington DE
    August 5, 2012, 12:21 pm

Ann is so very right. The comments by his hosts show their ignorance. I like the idea of the show but get some hosts with experience in antiques and history.

5. Amy
    New Orleans
    August 8, 2012, 6:07 pm

Ditto! I enjoyed seeing the antiques and hearing the experts give their opinions, but the hosts leave much to be desired.

6. KC
    PHIL.
    August 14, 2012, 10:05 pm

NatGeo has the reputation for fine educational programming, however I must agree with previous posts concerning hosts. Did not understand the qualifications of your experts and more time should have been allowed to explain provenance. Should have a peoples choice award.

7. GoddessOdd
    Florida
    August 22, 2012, 11:50 pm

I want to love this show, and I think I would, but the hosts just ruin the experience for me. Neither of them comes across as expert in any subject, and I could probably get over that, if either was likeable. Kinga in particular bothers me, in no small part because she looks like she was recently sprayed with a generous coating of WD40, from stringy hair to shiny skin. Honestly, I can’t believe I am commenting negatively about physical appearance, but greasy is just too off putting not to notice. When she hugs someone, I expect them to recoil, or have a grease stain wherever she touched them. I find myself thinking more about how and why Kinga is so greasy than about the “treasures”. This show deserves better hosts… have you asked Alan Alda if he’s available?

8. Lello
    kansan
    November 24, 2012, 5:16 am

This show sucks.. No one cares. The hosts sucks too.
    A pathetic attempt to jump in the bandwagon of shows such as storage wars, pickers etc.

NatGeo is really on a losing streak..